• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

jelena.j4

Nov 26, 2021
✟20,507.00
Country
Serbia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, to whoever reading this, i struggle, A LOT, it is affecting my mental and physical health, so if you have any advice i would really need it.
This year i noticed i struggle with scrupulousity. I obsess over so many things and question is it a sin. I can't seem to realize difference between feelings and conscience so i worry have i commited sin against my conscience.
I started to worry am i eating too much and commiting gluttony and it lead me to lose bunch of weight (now i'm underweight), that lead me to not having period for months.
I worry am i commiting a sin if i sleep longer, study, when i am on my phone, showering, wearing certain clothes and so many more things.
It became so DRAINING, i don't know how long can i tolerate it. When i dont obey that small voice it feels like im commiting a sin.
I really really need help. :/
Im seeing therapist, she is not christian therapist just a regular one, i havent told her about this problem and i dont know should i tell her bc my thoughts are not allowing me.
Somebody, please give me advice. :( thanks

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey, to whoever reading this, i struggle, A LOT, it is affecting my mental and physical health, so if you have any advice i would really need it.
This year i noticed i struggle with scrupulousity. I obsess over so many things and question is it a sin. I can't seem to realize difference between feelings and conscience so i worry have i commited sin against my conscience.
I started to worry am i eating too much and commiting gluttony and it lead me to lose bunch of weight (now i'm underweight), that lead me to not having period for months.
I worry am i commiting a sin if i sleep longer, study, when i am on my phone, showering, wearing certain clothes and so many more things.
It became so DRAINING, i don't know how long can i tolerate it. When i dont obey that small voice it feels like im commiting a sin.
Im seeing therapist, she is not christian therapist just a regular one, i havent told her about this problem and i dont know should i tell her bc my thoughts are not allowing me.
Stop being so hard on yourself. Do not worry about the things you are doing as long as you keep your heart pure and do everything with good intent. If you mean well in your actions and keep yourself pure in heart you will be fine because the Bible says that basically that our deeds and actions are not what is judged but the intent behind them because Jesus judges the heart and faith of a person. Maybe you could practice repenting at the end of each day for forgiveness for things you may have done during the day and that way you can always go to sleep knowing you have been forgiven and wake up to a fresh new day free of sin. Remember what the opposite of worry is. It is faith. Faith that Jesus sees your heart and you are saved. Faith that you are a good person and were made in the image of God, and faith that you can tell when your perception of a situation is impractical and irrational reminding you that neurotic behavior is hard on you.

• Friendly
Reactions: jelena.j4
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I hope this may help
philorthodox: Confession and Scrupulosity

Number 3 is especially important.

“Finally, scrupulosity should be guarded against because it can itself become a sin or lead us into sin - it can evolve into the sin of despair, that is, the belief that God does not love us and cannot forgive our sins because we are so evil or so far beyond the pale that God could not possibly care for us or forgive us as other men. Despair is the unwillingness to allow God to forgive us because we place a barrier of disbelief and unreceptivity before God's merciful countenance. The sin of despair is really a form of spiritual narcissism, a self-absorption and self-obsession that sees one's own sins as more important or powerful than God. In turn, the sin of despair easily leads to the sin of presumption, a libertinism, which believes that, because God cannot and will not forgive our sins, we might as well sin and sin boldly, a self-permission to commit sins with the underlying assumption that one is already beyond the reach of God's forgiveness and mercy: that is a most serious state indeed. Mild scruples may sometimes, if only rarely, be helpful in the keeping us in check and motivating us to true repentance and amendment of life, but there must be a deliberate balance in the Christian life and an unhealthy preoccupation with one's sinfulness or evil can assuredly be destructive to a happy and peaceful conscience; it can cripple the soul, making it impossible freely to live the Christian life with that vital virtue and characteristic, joy! Scruples are not the same thing as a genuine contrition for sins because of our love for God, for scruples tend to dwell not on God but on self, and direct the soul to be anxious and to worry about itself and about a perfection achieved apart from God's grace. We are called to be penitent, not scrupulous. Scrupulosity tends to devolve into selfishness, a dysfunctional egotism focussed on self and one's own needs and imperfections rather than on God and His attributes, virtues and graces. The Catholic life is a wholesome life, a life of spiritual joy and peace, which are the fruits of the Holy Spirit. If scruples so disturb the conscience and paralyse the soul that they stifle the spiritual growth of the individual, they are clearly harmful and should be, again, abandoned to the mercy and providence of God.”

Anxiety and Our Life in Christ - Health & Wellness Articles - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

A technique from the Desert Fathers to control our negative thoughts

The Struggle Against the Thoughts (Logismoi) - Annunciation Orthodox Christian Church

Continuous war with imaginary enemies

Motivated by Fear — St. Barbara Orthodox Church
Also, when assaulted with anxious thoughts:
Do not trust the nature of compulsive thoughts
Do not consider engaging in a dialogue with them
Pray for God’s Grace (prayer, Sacrament)

Finally:
While "fear of the Lord" that is "the beginning of wisdom" and which leads to life. (Proverbs 1:7; 9:10; 19:23) remember that “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment”(1 John 4:18)

God bless.

• Friendly
Reactions: jelena.j4
Upvote 0