Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
post in a different category and hope the gremlins don't follow.
I don't mind having those discussions. It's just that I'm finding it difficult to withdraw from and they are way to time consuming. And like you said over there in GT, not all pastors are bad.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't mind having those discussions. It's just that I'm finding it difficult to withdraw from and they are way to time consuming. And like you said over there in GT, not all pastors are bad.
I was under the impression they are in the bible too. And it's not like every pastor is Joel Osteen.

Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You would not dare leave unless there is another Orthodox poster there to represent the faith, truefiction1.
I'm afraid I must leave there, Basil, even if I must leave it unmanned. For I am unequal to the task, and in over my head by a bit. I feel I'm going to drown.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shadow
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
How can I be delivered from the insidious trap of... ... ... General Theology?!!! Please help!

Theology is the science of God; instead of studying God from a distance get involved with Him.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Theology is the science of God; instead of studying God from a distance get involved with Him.
Are you suggesting that "A theologian is one who prays"? -- Evagrius of Pontus

How very Orthodox Christian of you to suggest this.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I'm afraid I must leave there, Basil, even if I must leave it unmanned. For I am unequal to the task, and in over my head by a bit. I feel I'm going to drown.
I was just kidding. Whatever you feel is best for you, that is just fine. We all must take care of ourselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟487,958.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Are you suggesting that "A theologian is one who prays"? -- Evagrius of Pontus

How very Orthodox Christian of you to suggest this.

There is a commandment to pray often; I was suggesting involving God in every aspect of ones life. The Theologian places God in subjection.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to spend HOURS AND HOURS in Catholic Answers Forums and other Catholic spots desperately trying to get through to them. Then God gave me the most awesome grace----not giving a RAT'S BEHIND! I'm serious! I could care less about debating with other denominations now. Just....don't....care. It's hard enough at times amongst our own Orthodox brethren!

The other day at coffee hour I was talking at my table about TAW. I said that "evolution" is a hot topic in TAW, with tensions running high at times, angst, angry folks. One guy at my table said, "Really? I've been Orthodox for 15 years. I've never ever, I mean EVER met an Orthodox Christian that believed in evolution. Are you making this up?" I told him he hasn't entered the wild Wild West of the Internet! ^_^....Another lady at my table said, "I've never heard of such a thing? Are there really people that feel that way out there?" I told her yes. They were all looking at each other like I was pulling their legs. Amazing the variety in the world.....

I don't have the energy to debate here half the time, wasting time in GT or with Catholics or Protestants, meh, I'd rather clean a toilet or change my oil that do that stuff these days.

How can I be delivered from the insidious trap of... ... ... General Theology?!!! Please help!

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I used to spend HOURS AND HOURS in Catholic Answers Forums and other Catholic spots desperately trying to get through to them. Then God gave me the most awesome grace----not giving a RAT'S BEHIND! I'm serious! I could care less about debating with other denominations now. Just....don't....care. It's hard enough at times amongst our own Orthodox brethren!

The other day at coffee hour I was talking at my table about TAW. I said that "evolution" is a hot topic in TAW, with tensions running high at times, angst, angry folks. One guy at my table said, "Really? I've been Orthodox for 15 years. I've never ever, I mean EVER met an Orthodox Christian that believed in evolution. Are you making this up?" I told him he hasn't entered the wild Wild West of the Internet! ^_^....Another lady at my table said, "I've never heard of such a thing? Are there really people that feel that way out there?" I told her yes. They were all looking at each other like I was pulling their legs. Amazing the variety in the world.....

I don't have the energy to debate here half the time, wasting time in GT or with Catholics or Protestants, meh, I'd rather clean a toilet or change my oil that do that stuff these days.
I took time out to clean the bathroom today (shower and toilet scrubbing and the like). Perhaps some of this grace you speak of is beginning to come my way.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a commandment to pray often; I was suggesting involving God in every aspect of ones life. The Theologian places God in subjection.
The Orthodox theologian learns about God through the direct revelation of God in the vision of the uncreated Light. This vision is only given by the will of God and usually only to those who truly pray, and pray truly.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I barely go into GT anymore either.

Sometimes I'm there, or in controversial. Normally I will just post what I have to share and leave it at that. Arguing isn't productive for me, or for them. I've seen people arguing for Orthodoxy actually push people away. I don't know as they would have looked into it otherwise either. But ... it's just not ... appropriate, much of the time, I think.

Though there's a thread about icons I needed to respond to that is weeks cold now. The person gave so many quotes (without referencing sources) and by the time I tracked them down and read the documents to get the context, too much time had passed (not to mention it would take a lot of effort to paste in and prove what the quotes were really saying). I might do it though. I've still got research tabs open to those documents.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I barely go into GT anymore either.

Sometimes I'm there, or in controversial. Normally I will just post what I have to share and leave it at that. Arguing isn't productive for me, or for them. I've seen people arguing for Orthodoxy actually push people away. I don't know as they would have looked into it otherwise either. But ... it's just not ... appropriate, much of the time, I think.

Though there's a thread about icons I needed to respond to that is weeks cold now. The person gave so many quotes (without referencing sources) and by the time I tracked them down and read the documents to get the context, too much time had passed (not to mention it would take a lot of effort to paste in and prove what the quotes were really saying). I might do it though. I've still got research tabs open to those documents.
Something didn't feel quite right to me about discussing stuff in GT either. I believe I'm through with it. I'm even feeling somewhat ill now.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,494.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed there are a few posting over there who obviously have way too much time on their hands. Their approach seems to be one of drowning out opposition through shear volume of text in their posts. I find the best approach to such attacks is to simply ignore them, do not respond to even a paragraph or a sentence of what they've written. There is nothing more frustrating than carefully crafting a response only to have it ignored or dismissed, and if they get upset just behave exactly the same as if you really do have them on your ignore list.

• Useful
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've noticed there are a few posting over there who obviously have way too much time on their hands. Their approach seems to be one of drowning out opposition through shear volume of text in their posts. I find the best approach to such attacks is to simply ignore them, do not respond to even a paragraph or a sentence of what they've written. There is nothing more frustrating than carefully crafting a response only to have it ignored or dismissed, and if they get upset just behave exactly the same as if you really do have them on your ignore list.
I think I'm gonna stay right outa there. There was something spiritually deadening and grace robbing about the place. The experience reminded me of when the Holy Spirit wouldn't let the Apostles preach to word in the region of Asia, as mentioned in Acts. Something was telling me that the mission I was on was not blessed.

Upvote 0