Tspidey630

Nov 25, 2016
Usa
✟15,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I need help. I'm praying about this. I've been married 10 years. I've been with my husband since I was 13. He's been my only relationship and it hasn't been easy. We married at 21 and immediately started a family. We now have 5 children. Well my husband has been unfaithful to me pretty much our whole marriage. He's had several affairs and I've always taken him back. We've been to counseling and that didn't really stop his behavior. I believe he is being faithful now but my heart feels so closed off to him. I love him but not the way a wife should love her husband. I don't care anymore if he cheats and the only reason I'm staying is because I don't want to hurt my children. I feel like I'm just going through the motions but my heart is not in it.Ps. None of our blessings(5 children) were planned and they adore him. Please help me. I don't know where to begin to mend things except in prayer. I have forgiven him but he has betrayed my trust countless times and that's why I no longer care. Thank you all.

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish I had some comforting words or good advice but, sadly, I can only offer empathy.

You are not alone in this. I have similar feelings toward my husband. He has hurt me so many times that I just don't trust him anymore. He insults my faith and doesn't seem to care much about my feelings. He never says sorry although I think he tries to 'make up for things'. I find it impossible to share myself or my body with him as he doesn't respect me and it is always just a matter of time before he hurts me again. Everyday I pray that the Holy Spirit convict him. Sometimes I think it is working and then he just does it again. Sometimes he says that I am a very good wife and I probably am but sometimes the thought pops into my head in response to the compliment ''Only because I am scared of you.''

I hope someone has some good advice. I hope your prayers are answered soon. God bless you.

Upvote 0

Tspidey630

Nov 25, 2016
Usa
✟15,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish I had some comforting words or good advice but, sadly, I can only offer empathy.

You are not alone in this. I have similar feelings toward my husband. He has hurt me so many times that I just don't trust him anymore. He insults my faith and doesn't seem to care much about my feelings. He never says sorry although I think he tries to 'make up for things'. I find it impossible to share myself or my body with him as he doesn't respect me and it is always just a matter of time before he hurts me again. Everyday I pray that the Holy Spirit convict him. Sometimes I think it is working and then he just does it again. Sometimes he says that I am a very good wife and I probably am but sometimes the thought pops into my head in response to the compliment ''Only because I am scared of you.''

I hope someone has some good advice. I hope your prayers are answered soon. God bless you.

I am praying for your situation as well. Now I understand why the Bible mentions staying unmarried if you are able. Marriage is so beautiful but at times can be very challenging. I pray for my husband and just keep allowing the Lord to work on my heart everyday.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tspidey630. When I read your post, I prayed for your situation because I relate too well to it. And realize I need to pray for our sister Chosen_and_blessed. I'm so sorry. I understand.

At 20 years of marriage, my husband's mistress contacted me and introduced herself to me as his girlfriend. I didn't know how she had gotten my phone number but spent 3 days witnessing my faith to her and had to repent continually for how I dealt with him afterward. I had never gotten evidence that he had ever cheated on me with anyone else throughout our marriage - only the 2 1/2 year relationship he was in with this woman 20 years younger than him. He had met her in a bar and according to her / him confessing to be true, he told her he was not married (at 18 years of marriage) and had no children (having our 4).

The details of their relationship floored me. She shared with me so much information - including that he had taken her to 5 cities outside our state. I found out there was an additional city within our state he had taken her to and found out he had spent over $9000 on this other life of his. The bookkeeper who worked for our company had warned that he lied about everything and forged signatures constantly. I was floored, dismayed. This was not only the father of children who loved him tremendously and still do. This was a man wearing a Christian mask very convincingly. He was the choir leader at the church where my brother-in-law and sister-in-law (his sister) are pastors. For about 2 of the 5 years I had belonged to their church he led the choir by making rules, enforcing rules, and alternating wit me as director + other choir members in leading praise/worship. My husband preached, did prison ministry, street ministry, and other activities that identified him with Christ. His deeds were a rude awakening to me seeing firsthand Matthew 7:21.

Now, even after many counseling sessions with a more Biblical pastor that we've been under for years and after expressing repentance and newfound loyalty to God and then to me and the kids, my husband is in the faith genuinely this time as far as I can see. He still has his faults as we all do. But my feelings toward him have changed. I love him as a brother in the Lord. I love him as a family member of my family because he's my husband. I do what I can to respect him - with much struggle that I lean on God to help and even correct me. I mess up so much and have to always seek forgiveness and cleansing.

That said, here's what i truly believe based on what God's Word tells me:

The fact that I don't love my husband romantically as I always had up until the aftermath of all our turmoil is not important. What IS is important is that I love him as a Christian brother in the Lord. And if he wasn't a believer, what would be important is to love him as a neighbor. The way we are to love others with a born again new heart is not romantic at all. I have a biological brother who has hurt the family tremendously. But I love him with heart of a believer and also as a biological sister. Nothing romantic needed. I love a stranger on the street enough to share the gospel and with basic necessities as I see needed that i can give in the moment. Nothing romantic needed. I love love love my children and the children whom I teach in Sunday school. This doesn't require that I always admire any of them all the time. They actually try my patience quite often. But I love them.

Romantic love for your husband may return. That would require work on his part, and does not have to require work on your part at all unless you want to work toward romantically loving a man who pushed it out of you. It's okay to let that be all on him.

But if you focus on loving him with a born again heart that is surrendered to Christ, that is what is important. This is the heart that so loves Jesus, it will compel you to forgive as often as needed to obey God's Word (whether forgiveness is required due to deeds or memories). This love (called Agape love) will compel you to treat his role as a husband in alignment with God's expectations, fulfilling your role as woman of the house to please Christ.

It is natural to love your husband as a member of your family because he is just that to you - a member of your family, the husband. Caring for his well-being, caring to do your part for the household to experience family.

Allow God to minister to you over time. When you feel your heart begin to soften from spending time with God, don't fight it.

And don't try to fit into the mode of what others say forgiveness and reconciliation looks like. Forgiveness does not mean never mentioning the sin again. This man-created standard has made reconciliation a hard task. The journey of reconciliation sometimes requires two people to agree to certain times of discussing the pain of what happened as a litmus test for what can fractionally be expected in the future.

A lot a LOT of closed in time with the Lord will help you. It helped me. Communicating with a circle of true born again wives on an ongoing basis has helped me. Too many people have made insensitive statements to me that appeared to be like Job's friends whom God had to punish thinking they were identifying Job as a wrongdoer through his pain. On the flipside, too many people have also made statements that enabled me to be unforgiving toward my husband.

A multitude of wise counselors (preferably true born again wives) can add so much balance - especially when they lean on God's Word to minister to you. One of the women on CF became one of my closest friends by making herself available. She goes by the name of Farine on CF. She's been through a lot of hurt and pains. She's leaned on God in ways I've never seen in many people. And she's one in a few women I've been able to talk to.

Whatever you're going through, God can use what you experienced to help others in the future experiencing similar problems. Whether you speak. Whether you reach out on CF like Farine did and like I'm doing. Whether you minister to someone one-on-one. When my pastor's wife told me that I'd be able to reach out to other wives with an understanding heart from experience, I thought she sounded cliche. I didn't want to hear that because I felt like, and still do and will always feel this way, that a woman shouldn't experience any betrayal in order to help another woman.

So obvious why God allows encouragement and counseling to work that way. Yet, it still hurts and can be hard to grasp in understanding till one day when the Lord settles all questions somewhere in eternity. Meantime, we keep reaching for our Father for answers and consolation on every end as would a toddler struggling to walk reaching for Dad, who is right there - tho he's allowing the child to fall for strength in the growing steps.

Praying for my 2 sisters in this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

writewords

Meant for ministry. Gloria in excelsis Deo.
Feb 24, 2017
Missouri
✟34,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Republican

Immediately this is dangerous for you and ultimately your children too. I would say end it, but I do not know any details, so I will not say that. Spoken to church leadership? Who else knows? Do you work? Ages of your kids? Are you prepared for conseconsequences of divorce including not remarrying. That last one is my position from studying divorce passages. I'm not here to judge. I do not wish to neglect the doctrine of Grace sister.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Immediately this is dangerous for you and ultimately your children too. I would say end it, but I do not know any details, so I will not say that. Spoken to church leadership? Who else knows? Do you work? Ages of your kids? Are you prepared for conseconsequences of divorce including not remarrying. That last one is my position from studying divorce passages. I'm not here to judge. I do not wish to neglect the doctrine of Grace sister.
Thank you for your concern. Our children are grown up and don't live with us. My husband is very ill so I know that I won't leave him. I feel sure that God has saved his life in order to give him a chance at redemption. I also feel sure that God has put me in this marriage (and kept me in it) to be a shining light. For that reason the advice of 'unfinishedclay' really resonated with me and strengthened me:
But if you focus on loving him with a born again heart that is surrendered to Christ, that is what is important. This is the heart that so loves Jesus, it will compel you to forgive as often as needed to obey God's Word (whether forgiveness is required due to deeds or memories). This love (called Agape love) will compel you to treat his role as a husband in alignment with God's expectations, fulfilling your role as woman of the house to please Christ.

I am convinced that prayer is changing my husband's heart. With God all things are possible :)

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your concern. Our children are grown up and don't live with us. My husband is very ill so I know that I won't leave him. I feel sure that God has saved his life in order to give him a chance at redemption. I also feel sure that God has put me in this marriage (and kept me in it) to be a shining light. For that reason the advice of 'unfinishedclay' really resonated with me and strengthened me:

I am convinced that prayer is changing my husband's heart. With God all things are possible :)

Amen. With God all things are possible.

In a physically abusive situation, I definitely see the Biblical provision of retreating for safety from a striker until true repentance takes place. The apostles escaped their persecutors but made their love and commitment to ministering to them quite clear. Just know that persecutors can be escaped with God's help.

Again, I'm praying and hoping you're safe. Your post didn't read like you're physically abused.

God can definitely change your husband's heart. I prayed He surround your husband with laborers who will share the gospel him. And I'm also praying that God place laborers around your husband to hold him accountable in God's Word. Mistreating a daughter of God is a serious offense.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, I'm praying and hoping you're safe. Your post didn't read like you're physically abused.

Thank you for your prayers. I am not being physically abused. I agree physical abuse would require leaving for a safe place. I am convinced God is changing my husbands heart. Thank you so much for your prayers and advice.

Let us also keep @Tspidey630 in our prayers. I fear I have hijacked her thread.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your prayers. I am not being physically abused. I agree physical abuse would require leaving for a safe place. I am convinced God is changing my husbands heart. Thank you so much for your prayers and advice.

Let us also keep @Tspidey630 in our prayers. I fear I have hijacked her thread.
Amen. Okay.

Upvote 0

Tspidey630

Nov 25, 2016
Usa
✟15,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for sharing your story. This has helped me tremendously and I appreciate your prayers and transparency. I will continue to love him with agape love and ask God to strengthen me and continue to mold my heart.

T
Hi Tspidey630. When I read your post, I prayed for your situation because I relate too well to it. And realize I need to pray for our sister Chosen_and_blessed. I'm so sorry. I understand.

At 20 years of marriage, my husband's mistress contacted me and introduced herself to me as his girlfriend. I didn't know how she had gotten my phone number but spent 3 days witnessing my faith to her and had to repent continually for how I dealt with him afterward. I had never gotten evidence that he had ever cheated on me with anyone else throughout our marriage - only the 2 1/2 year relationship he was in with this woman 20 years younger than him. He had met her in a bar and according to her / him confessing to be true, he told her he was not married (at 18 years of marriage) and had no children (having our 4).

The details of their relationship floored me. She shared with me so much information - including that he had taken her to 5 cities outside our state. I found out there was an additional city within our state he had taken her to and found out he had spent over $9000 on this other life of his. The bookkeeper who worked for our company had warned that he lied about everything and forged signatures constantly. I was floored, dismayed. This was not only the father of children who loved him tremendously and still do. This was a man wearing a Christian mask very convincingly. He was the choir leader at the church where my brother-in-law and sister-in-law (his sister) are pastors. For about 2 of the 5 years I had belonged to their church he led the choir by making rules, enforcing rules, and alternating wit me as director + other choir members in leading praise/worship. My husband preached, did prison ministry, street ministry, and other activities that identified him with Christ. His deeds were a rude awakening to me seeing firsthand Matthew 7:21.

Now, even after many counseling sessions with a more Biblical pastor that we've been under for years and after expressing repentance and newfound loyalty to God and then to me and the kids, my husband is in the faith genuinely this time as far as I can see. He still has his faults as we all do. But my feelings toward him have changed. I love him as a brother in the Lord. I love him as a family member of my family because he's my husband. I do what I can to respect him - with much struggle that I lean on God to help and even correct me. I mess up so much and have to always seek forgiveness and cleansing.

That said, here's what i truly believe based on what God's Word tells me:

The fact that I don't love my husband romantically as I always had up until the aftermath of all our turmoil is not important. What IS is important is that I love him as a Christian brother in the Lord. And if he wasn't a believer, what would be important is to love him as a neighbor. The way we are to love others with a born again new heart is not romantic at all. I have a biological brother who has hurt the family tremendously. But I love him with heart of a believer and also as a biological sister. Nothing romantic needed. I love a stranger on the street enough to share the gospel and with basic necessities as I see needed that i can give in the moment. Nothing romantic needed. I love love love my children and the children whom I teach in Sunday school. This doesn't require that I always admire any of them all the time. They actually try my patience quite often. But I love them.

Romantic love for your husband may return. That would require work on his part, and does not have to require work on your part at all unless you want to work toward romantically loving a man who pushed it out of you. It's okay to let that be all on him.

It is natural to love your husband as a member of your family because he is just that to you - a member of your family, the husband. Caring for his well-being, caring to do your part for the household to experience family.

Allow God to minister to you over time. When you feel your heart begin to soften from spending time with God, don't fight it.

And don't try to fit into the mode of what others say forgiveness and reconciliation looks like. Forgiveness does not mean never mentioning the sin again. This man-created standard has made reconciliation a hard task. The journey of reconciliation sometimes requires two people to agree to certain times of discussing the pain of what happened as a litmus test for what can fractionally be expected in the future.

A lot a LOT of closed in time with the Lord will help you. It helped me. Communicating with a circle of true born again wives on an ongoing basis has helped me. Too many people have made insensitive statements to me that appeared to be like Job's friends whom God had to punish thinking they were identifying Job as a wrongdoer through his pain. On the flipside, too many people have also made statements that enabled me to be unforgiving toward my husband.

A multitude of wise counselors (preferably true born again wives) can add so much balance - especially when they lean on God's Word to minister to you. One of the women on CF became one of my closest friends by making herself available. She goes by the name of Farine on CF. She's been through a lot of hurt and pains. She's leaned on God in ways I've never seen in many people. And she's one in a few women I've been able to talk to.

Whatever you're going through, God can use what you experienced to help others in the future experiencing similar problems. Whether you speak. Whether you reach out on CF like Farine did and like I'm doing. Whether you minister to someone one-on-one. When my pastor's wife told me that I'd be able to reach out to other wives with an understanding heart from experience, I thought she sounded cliche. I didn't want to hear that because I felt like, and still do and will always feel this way, that a woman shouldn't experience any betrayal in order to help another woman.

So obvious why God allows encouragement and counseling to work that way. Yet, it still hurts and can be hard to grasp in understanding till one day when the Lord settles all questions somewhere in eternity. Meantime, we keep reaching for our Father for answers and consolation on every end as would a toddler struggling to walk reaching for Dad, who is right there - tho he's allowing the child to fall for strength in the growing steps.

Praying for my 2 sisters in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 14, 2012
over here in Texas
✟55,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On a slightly different vein - who the heck told you that marrying someone you'd been "together" with (and your only relationship) since you were 13 years old was a good idea?

Probably the easiest thing in the world is to comment based on retrospect. It gives no solution whatsoever for the current current current situation.

Or perhaps you believe in time travel? Or perhaps you just want to make somebody feel bad about a past decision and throw your opinion in her face to promote what you feel looks hopeless?

There is a large number of marriages that began in ways that would challenge them in the long run. Many of them have overcome those challenges.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"There is a large number of marriages that began in ways that would challenge them in the long run. Many of them have overcome those challenges"

Perhaps. But pretending like all challenges are equal is a mistake, as is living your life in a manner where you think you're the exception to the rule. Pretty much every relationship based out of that age is doomed for failure - and for very good reasons.

Does pointing that out to this person help their situation? Nah, not really. But, it ought be pointed out when relevant so when others are faced with similar situations they use the misfortune of others to guide their own actions. Your kid meets someone at 13? Encourage them to have their crushes, etc...but make sure they know that it's not (nor should it be) permanent.

As for what the solution is for this individual...meh...they simply have to honestly answer a question to themself. Let's say that the spouse is being honest - and is done with having the affairs. Can you ever get past the hurt they caused when they were doing it? Can you ever get back to loving them in the way you think a spouse ought love the other?

The answer to that question - in conjunction with how likely it is they're really being honest anyhow (like, if they have a history of promising fidelity only to return to being unfaithful again - it's fair to guess this is probably just more of the same) - ought guide what they should do. Or at least it sets the framework of being honest with where you stand.

There's nothing wrong in saying "You have so injured me in the past that even if you're being honest, I still cannot return to where I was before" if that's the truth. Or...figuring out if that *isn't* the truth. That will help set the framework necessary to start moving forward in whatever direction that may be.

And maybe those lessons will help in giving advice to the kids in the future with their situations as well.

Upvote 0