Captain Obvious
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary, Canada
✟9,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok, so I officially suck at praying out loud, with others around. The only person I feel comfortable praying out loud around is my boyfriend. But with everyone else I go blank. I guess this part of me is private. But lately I've been put in a lot of situations where I have to pray out loud. And I sound absolutely stupid. Help!!

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get over this. I try to concentrate on God but I can't when other people are around. This is especially bad considering I've just joined a life group... :eek:

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have never prayed out loud in front of others. I feel very private with my prayers and extremely uncomfortable trying to find words in front of other people instead of just talking to God, him and me one on one.

So I'm sorry I don't have advice to offer, but I thought it might help to know there are other people with the same problem. Maybe I'll find answers here too.

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Extemporaneous vocal prayer has been overemphasised in many churches since the inluence of 19th century revivalism. If you're uncomfortable with it, which you rightly should be since prayer is a very private matter, then just decline to pray out loud. Or if you want, read a prayer from a prayer book. This doesn't make you any less of a Christian. Prayer is directed to God and for him alone, not the benefit of those listening.

Upvote 0

sunshineray

Captain Obvious
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary, Canada
✟9,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have never prayed out loud in front of others. I feel very private with my prayers and extremely uncomfortable trying to find words in front of other people instead of just talking to God, him and me one on one.

So I'm sorry I don't have advice to offer, but I thought it might help to know there are other people with the same problem. Maybe I'll find answers here too.
Thanks! It's so helpful to know I'm not alone.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ok, so I officially suck at praying out loud, with others around. The only person I feel comfortable praying out loud around is my boyfriend. But with everyone else I go blank. I guess this part of me is private. But lately I've been put in a lot of situations where I have to pray out loud. And I sound absolutely stupid. Help!!

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get over this. I try to concentrate on God but I can't when other people are around. This is especially bad considering I've just joined a life group... :eek:
My dear sister, well done, keep praying out aloud, that is the only way. It's the same as praying in tongues, it EDIFIES YOU.

If you get side looks from others around, then they are not doing their job well as a prayer warrior.

Praise you my dear, and keep up that good work, let the enemy know who you are in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Like all things, to be good in it, we have to practice it. I write prayers down for others, and I pray them aloud in my computer room. Now if you keep praying in this way then, when you are face with the multitudes your confidence will overcome the conquerors.

Praise our Lord.

Upvote 0

Controverse

Green Metal Ranger
Apr 16, 2006
Akinos District, Terra Haemosu, Atala
Visit site
✟12,062.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's great to see that others aren't so preoccupied with praying out loud.

I would say that you pray the way that makes you feel comfortable. I know this might seem selfish in some ways, but in actual truth it just means that doing it the way you are able to most feel comfortable with allows you to do it calmly, confidently, and not really let other things break your concentration.

Then again, sometimes I talk to God out loud just as if I were talking to a friend. This is while I'm doing chores or whatever.

Ark

Upvote 0

miyako_1984

Mar 16, 2005
Leeds
✟7,795.00
Faith
Christian
Like everyone else said- don't worry about sucking. I felt like this for years, and still do- but it's really only when I find myself thinking too hard about what words to use halfway started into a prayer that I go blank- and by then, to be honest, it's probably more an obstacle than anything else to me actually honestly talking to God. Rather, of course think about what you are going to pray, but you could try making sure you know the gist of it before you start- not the words, but just what you want to say and talk about and then just set off. Don't worry about making it long, or saying anything more than what you wanted when you pray (unless it comes to you naturally). God knows what's on your heart anyhow, of course and it's for him your praying first up rather than the others around you.

The other thing, it seems to me that its really important you remember who you are talking to when praying out loud and are honest about it all. I found starting out that, quite often, you get this thing where prayers to God with others are actually things directed at other people in that group or said mainly for their benefit but by someone with their eyes closed. Don't get put off by this but say these things out loud with your eyes open if you think they will help someone, and just pray when you feel you want to speak outloud to God rather when you feel 'you have to' or it would be weird not to - that's true boldness about your faith. Hopefully, the people you are praying with will get something out of just sharing God's presence with you and each other, regardless of who does the talking- and if they've specifically asked you to pray outloud for something, they won't be disappointed with the even sometimes succinct result.

PS: More to the point, you are praying with your boyfriend and are happy sharing this together! This is awesome, and obviously a great basis for your relationship. Concentrate on what you CAN do- and keep it up! :)

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can't say I feel good about it either. Commit yourself quietly to saying what the Spirit wants you to say, and slog through it.

The best things said are the most honest and straight-cut. We talk with God the way we talk; if you can talk with your teacher in public, talk with the God Who gives Him words to say the same way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ozbloke

Nov 20, 2006
✟15,907.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals

Well to me, praying out loud has never been a real issue, but then I have done a fair bit of public speaking and debating. If you don't like doing those things, you shouldn't expect that it is any easier if you are praying.

If you really feel pressured into doing it (which you shouldn't), I suggest starting safe,. simple and planned. - If you have something that you pray for in your personal life, pray a similar prayer out loud - you know the subject, you are familiar with what you want to say, and your mind can use pre-organised thoughts you have used before :). Don't try to pray for a long time, just pray your piece and leave it there.

Silence can be a very powerful tool, and particularly if you don't feel comfortable praying out loud, don't feel like it is your responsibility to fill a gap left by others.

Something that I have also heard used is praying by essentially rewording poetic Psalms or similar - if you want to talk about how wonderful God is and how small you feel, quote Psalm 8 :) etc.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0

AtlasDM

Nov 10, 2006
✟7,674.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I knw exactly how you feel about praying out loud, I'm the same way. The more you do it, the more natural it will feel and the easier it will be. Just don't forget about praying and fasting in secret and remember that the Holy Spirit will search our heart to find your prayers when you can't quiet put them in to words.

Upvote 0

Pasat_14

Feb 27, 2006
South Australia
Visit site
✟7,897.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
I've had the same problem. I've only ever done it once when me and some friends got together and I was chosen to end our popcorn prayer. If you find it really personal then don't pray for something in particular, thats all I did. Just pray that God will bless all of your friends and family etc. then maybe in your mind you can think of someone in particular when you're saying that. I've foudn that really helps.
If I'm wrong with that though I hope someone points it out because although I may have been Christian for a couple of years now there's still somethings that I'm oblivious to!

Upvote 0

eieiowe61

Pressing towards the mark!
Oct 30, 2006
✟15,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I can relate! Just within the past month or two, I began praying my bedtime prayers out loud and still find myself stumbling over the "right" words, or trying to sound spiritual, even though it's only my cat within hearing distance!

I can pray much better prayers in a whisper, or just in my heart. I don't think God cares, as long as you're talking to Him!! :holy:

Upvote 0

sunshineray

Captain Obvious
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary, Canada
✟9,809.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks everyone for all your feedback. I am so grateful and it's so wonderful to hear that I am not alone.

I really want to learn to pray out loud because I just joined a life group and I would like to be able to pray with my group mates. I guess I will just keep practicing.
Eieiowe61 - that's a good idea to try and pray out loud before I sleep. I will try it. I hope it helps!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DanCF

Dec 1, 2006
✟15,118.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Both verbal and silent prayers are legitimate. Don't let anybody discourage you from praying out loud in the public. That's why the prayers of other people are recorded in the bible - for the edification of other believers.

I've found it helpful to study Paul's prayers such as this one in Ephesians 3:14-21:
14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (NIV)
Just go through that prayer and restate the words back to God in your own way. For example - you can restate verse 16 this way: "I pray that out of Your glorious riches that You will strengthen me with power through Your Spirit in my inner being so that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith." Just remember that there are many other prayer techniques. This is just one I find helpful.

Upvote 0

daisycharm

Dec 3, 2006
✟7,828.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I recently signed up for a prayer circle for the revival at my church. We had to call an assigned name on the list each night and pray for certain things listed. I was so nervous. I wrote out my prayer that morning and looked over it a few times during the day. By the time I had to make my call, I felt much more at ease. If it is a situation where you know you will need to pray with others out loud, this may work for you. I think with time, I will learn to be more spontainous and be able to pray out loud on command without being so nervous.

Upvote 0

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
I used to very afraid of praying out loud. Still get nervous sometimes.

The important thing is to not force it. I know for me, especially around "prayer warriors" who seem to have such powerful prayers, I feel what I have to say is insignificant. It's too easy to want to measure up and force something that would not otherwise come out naturally.

That is the key when you are self-conscious: relax. You are coming before the presence of God. Only difference is that you are doing it with other people. If you draw a blank, then sit in the silence until the Spirit moves you. And when the Spirit does move you, don't hold back. Close your eyes and block out everyone else around you. If you have something to say to God, tell him and ignore everyone else.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.