Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Indeed. Reform Rabbi Daniel Cohen-Sherbock (sp?) wrote a book on Messianic Judaism a decade ago (or more). He said the only thing that keeps MJ from fully being a legitimate branch of Judaism is the lack of a conversion protocol.

That is just plain silly. The thing that keeps the Messianic faith separate is it's holding beliefs outside of traditional Judaism.
Judaism does not encourage conversion and does not believe it is necessary to be acceptable to G-d, so the fact that the Messianic faith lacks a conversion protocol is not a convincing argument for it's rejection by traditional Judaism.

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the fact that no Jew who reveres the oral law will accept
any Judaism that includes a Triune God or Yeshua as Messiah.
The Rabbis who wrote it made sure of that much.
That is changing. Even a few Orthodox rabbis in Israel are now saying that they see Judaism and Christianity merging back into one religion at some point.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Indeed. Reform Rabbi Daniel Cohen-Sherbock (sp?) wrote a book on Messianic Judaism a decade ago (or more). He said the only thing that keeps MJ from fully being a legitimate branch of Judaism is the lack of a conversion protocol.

Rabbi Dr. Daniel Cohn-Sherbok, Professor of Judaism, University of Wales (for those wanting the full name & title). Which book of his are you quoting from? In 2001 he edited a book with the title Voices of Messianic Judaism (Lederer Books MA), in which the issue is dealt with by two opposite views from Michael Wolf and John Fischer - the latter of which argues rather convincingly, from scripture, for a form of conversion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟119,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The thing that keeps the Messianic faith separate is it's holding beliefs outside of traditional Judaism.
Traditional Judaism doesn't believe that Yeshua is the Son of YHWH, the Lamb of G-d; whereas Messianic Judaism believes in the Judaism of the TaNaKh(Mikra) that foretells of the coming Messiah (being Yeshua). Some estimates have at least 117 Prophecies, Appearances, or Foreshadowings of Messiah Yeshua in the Torah(Law/teaching), at least 153 in the Nevi'im(Prophets), and at least 144 in the Ketuvim(Writings) for a total of 414. Even if you reduce the number to 200(PAFs) the evidence in the TaNaKh is still considered overwhelming proof by Messianic Judaism that Yeshua is the Messiah.

John 5:39-40 (Yeshua speaking)
39 "You keep examining the Tanakh because you think that in it you have eternal life. Those very Scriptures bear witness to me,
40 but you won’t come to me in order to have life!
41 I don’t collect praise from men,
42 but I do know you people — I know that you have no love for God in you!
43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you don’t accept me; if someone else comes in his own name, him you will accept.
44 How can you trust? You’re busy collecting praise from each other, instead of seeking praise from God only.
45 But don’t think that it is I who will be your accuser before the Father. Do you know who will accuse you? Moshe, the very one you have counted on!
46 For if you really believed Moshe, you would believe me; because it was about me that he wrote.
47 But if you don’t believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?”

... so the fact that the Messianic faith lacks a conversion protocol is not a convincing argument for it's rejection by traditional Judaism.
Peter, James, John and the other Apostles were not like traditional Judaism that rejected Yeshua as Messiah. Messianic Judaism's conversion protocol (John 14:6) is belief/faith in Messiah Yeshua, the Son of G-d and the perfect Lamb of G-d.

John 14:6 (Yeshua Speaking)
6 Yeshua said, “I AM the Way — and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except through me."

There are so many wonderful conversion testimonies by secular, reform and orthodox Jews who have diligently searched the TaNaKh to come to the realization that Yeshua is Messiah as evident in the B'rit Chadashah which agrees with the TaNaKh.

The deeper I dove into Orthodox Judaism, the more I realized Yeshua is our Messiah!​

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Traditional Judaism doesn't believe that Yeshua is the Son of YHWH, the Lamb of G-d; whereas Messianic Judaism believes in the Judaism of the TaNaKh(Mikra) that foretells of the coming Messiah (being Yeshua). Some estimates have at least 117 Prophecies, Appearances, or Foreshadowings of Messiah Yeshua in the Torah(Law/teaching), at least 153 in the Nevi'im(Prophets), and at least 144 in the Ketuvim(Writings) for a total of 414. Even if you reduce the number to 200(PAFs) the evidence in the TaNaKh is still considered overwhelming proof by Messianic Judaism that Yeshua is the messiah

Like I said, and you reinforce, the Messianic faith holds tenets that are not acceptable to mainstream Judaism. That is the reason it will never be accepted, not the lack of conversions.​

Upvote 0

makeajoyfulnoise100

Tea, books, and rainy days <3
Supporter
Feb 2, 2017
Atlanta
✟89,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's not at all what Gentile means. There is Israel and there are the Nations (Goyim/Gentiles) We often use 'Gentile' to refer to any individual belonging to a Gentile Nation. But basically those are the two groups: Israel, aka the People of Israel, and everyone else aka Gentiles.

Gentile is NOT a derogatory word. It was at one time, when all gentile nations were pagan. But when Jews began bringing Torah to the nations, and making God-fearers, the stigma began to be lost. Today there is even the notion of the Righteous Gentile. You can go to Israel and visit Yad Vashem, there is a section called the Garden for the Righteous Among the Nations which recognizes righteous Gentiles who helped Jews during the holocaust.

You pretty much summed up everything I meant :)

Upvote 0