✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find this passage very interesting.

35 And He said to them, “When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?” They said, “No, nothing.” 36 And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me: ‘AND HE WAS COUNTED WITH WRONGDOERS’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.” 38 They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”

Jesus is aware of the prophetic record concerning Himself and instructs the disciples to carry arms.

The reference is back to Isaiah 53:12

12 Therefore I will allot Him a portion with the great, and He will divide the spoils with the strong, because He has poured out His life unto death, and He was numbered with the transgressors. Yet He bore the sin of many and made intercession for the transgressors.

So I would like someone wiser than me to explain what is going on here...

Does this mean Jesus encouraged the disciples to do wrong?

Does this mean Jesus himself did wrong?

Peter uses the sword to cut off the high priests (servants) ear...

Sure Jesus heals it but the offence is committed.

Help please...

Lastly how does this instruction relate to the sermon on the mount that we should turn the other cheek...

I note that Peter was the one who offended - but it seems Jesus's instruction gave him the means to do so...

It seems many on the forum do not believe that turning the other cheek is always the best response to assault.

Last edited:

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

35 And He said to them, “When I sent you out without money belt and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?” They said, “No, nothing.” 36 And He said to them, “But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his cloak and buy one. 37 For I tell you that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me: ‘AND HE WAS COUNTED WITH WRONGDOERS’; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment.” 38 They said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”

Jesus is aware of the prophetic record concerning Himself and instructs the disciples to carry arms.

12 Therefore I will allot Him a portion with the great, and He will divide the spoils with the strong, because He has poured out His life unto death, and He was numbered with the transgressors. Yet He bore the sin of many and made intercession for the transgressors.

Peter uses the sword to cut off the high priests ear...

Sure Jesus heals it but the offense is committed.

Help please...

I believe He was speaking spiritually as in the case of the Leavening of the scribes and Pharisees. I get this from his response "And He said to them, “It is enough.” almost sounds like "you miss it but don't worry, it will make sense after I die.

I really haven't looked closely though at that passage, its just what came to mind when I read it.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟312,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A double edge sword is more than enough to divide the soulish from the spiritual. It was enough for them to know that their names were written in heaven, moreso than having a momentary defeat over the devil like Peter did and had to be reprimanded 2 seconds later.

It also appears that arms wasn’t mentioned in Isa.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Then Jesus said to them, “When I sent you out with no money bag, or traveler’s bag, or sandals, you didn’t lack anything, did you?” They replied, “Nothing.” He said to them, “But now, the one who has a money bag must take it, and likewise a traveler’s bag too. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this scripture must be fulfilled in me, ‘And he was counted with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me is being fulfilled.” So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” Then he told them, “It is enough.”

1) I don't think that Jesus is telling His disciples to "do wrong". Instead I think He is saying that the extraordinary powers that he temporarily gave them would no longer be in effect.

2) It is impossible for Jesus to "do wrong".

3) I believe that Peter acted on his own, beyond what Jesus meant. After, all Jesus never told him to "go on offense". By restoring the ear, Jesus reversed Peter's inappropriate action.

Granted, this is a difficult section to interpret accurately, but those are my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does this mean Jesus encouraged the disciples to do wrong? Does this mean Jesus himself did wrong?
Of course not. Self defense against wild beasts and robbers is always allowed.

Lastly how does this instruction relate to the sermon on the mount that we should turn the other cheek...
The reaction depends on the situation.

In court, Jesus did not defend himself, but Paul did. It's like the command to forgive compared to the instruction to complain to the church. Everything has its time and place.

I don't believe in the spiritual interpretation bc Peter did own a physical sword and Jesus did not prohibit him from carrying it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Help please...

I note that Peter was the one who offended - but it seems Jesus's instruction gave him the means to do so...

It seems many on the forum do not believe that turning the other cheek is always the best response to assault.

When Jesus first sent them out they were only to go to "the house of Israel", meaning, in effect, they weren't to travel very far. They wouldn't need money or any supplies for their trip. The next time he sent them out he told them to take money, swords, etc., because they would be traveling farther, "to the ends of the earth". It's another indication that Jesus and his disciples were Essenes. Josephus said of the Essenes that they seldom carried swords unless they were traveling, to defend against robbers along the way.

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Help please...

Peter did not cut high priest ear but slave's ear...
if he did it to high priest he would be crucified with Jesus lol
Basically when Jesus was with them he nurished them then He told them to take thier fate in thier own hands because he will depart from them shortly.
Numbered with transgressors means he died among people who were with sin so between thieves nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Then Jesus said to them, “When I sent you out with no money bag, or traveler’s bag, or sandals, you didn’t lack anything, did you?” They replied, “Nothing.” He said to them, “But now, the one who has a money bag must take it, and likewise a traveler’s bag too. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one. For I tell you that this scripture must be fulfilled in me, ‘And he was counted with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me is being fulfilled.” So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” Then he told them, “It is enough.”

Pescadore made some good points on all this:
1) I don't think that Jesus is telling His disciples to "do wrong". Instead I think He is saying that the extraordinary powers that he temporarily gave them would no longer be in effect.
2) It is impossible for Jesus to "do wrong".
3) I believe that Peter acted on his own, beyond what Jesus meant. After, all Jesus never told him to "go on offense". By restoring the ear, Jesus reversed Peter's inappropriate action.
Granted, this is a difficult section to interpret accurately, but those are my thoughts.

We surely would not want to go contrary to Holy Scripture, but let us be sure we are not taking verses out of context with "all the counsel of God" and "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as told. The Lord was truly NOT telling Peter to go and do wrong, but also knowing Peter like all the Disciples (and us) have flesh problems.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter did not cut high priest ear but slave's ear...
if he did it to high priest he would be crucified with Jesus lol
Basically when Jesus was with them he nurished them then He told them to take thier fate in thier own hands because he will depart from them shortly.
Numbered with transgressors means he died among people who were with sin so between thieves nothing to do with it.

Yes the slaves ear - well spotted...

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Help please...

"While with His disciples on earth the Lord both provided for and evidently protected them, but in His physical absence, a new condition would exist in which they were responsible to take a purse, a bag, and even a sword for self protection, though not for the purpose of establishing the Kingdom. Personally, I can’t see any other purpose for a sword other than self protection. However, note that two swords among the disciples was deemed sufficient." What does the Bible say about carrying weapons for our own protection? | Bible.org

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟375,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Help please...

Hi Carl.
The Greek word translated sword here is also used in reference to a Dagger or large knife. Here is Thayer's and the BDAG citation respectively.

μάχαιρα, genitive μαχαίρας (so (with R G) Lachmann in Luk 21:24) and μαχαίρης, dative μάχαιρα. (so (with R G) Lachmann in Luk 22:49; Act 12:2) and μαχαίρῃ (between which forms the manuscripts vary, cf. (Scrivener, Collation, etc., p. lvi.; Tdf. Proleg., p. 117; WH's Appendix, p. 156a); Winer's Grammar, 62 (61); Buttmann, 11; Delitzsch on Heb 11:34, p. 584 note), ἡ, (akin to μάχη and Latin mactare);
1. a large knife, used for killing animals and cutting up flesh: Homer, Pindar, Herodotus, at.; hence, Gen 22:6; Gen 22:10; Jdg 19:29 Alexandrian LXX, for מַאֲכֶלֶת.
2. a small sword, distinguished from the large sword, the ῥομφαία (Josephus, Antiquities 6, 9, 5 ἀποτεμνει τήν κεφαλήν τῇ ῥομφαία τῇ ἐκείνου (Goliath's), μάχαιραν, οὐκ ἔχων αὐτός), and curred, for a cutting stroke; distinct also from ξίφος, a straight sword, for thrusting, Xenophon, r. eq. 12, 11, cf. Hell. 3, 3, 7; but the words are frequently used interchangeably. In the N. T. universally, a sword (the Septuagint often for חֶרֶב): as a weapon for making or repelling an attack, Mat 26:47; Mat 26:51-52,55; Mar 14:43; Mar 14:47; Luk 22:36; Luk 22:38; Luk 22:49; Luk 22:52; Joh 18:10; Act 16:27; Heb 11:37; Rev 6:4; Rev 13:10,14; by a Hebraism, στόμα μαχαίρας, the edge of the sword (פִּי חֶרֶב, Gen 34:26; Jos 8:24; 1Sa 13:22; Jdg 3:16, etc. (but in the Septuagint the rendering στόμα ξίφους or στόμα ῥομφαίας is more common)): Luk 21:24; Heb 11:34; μάχαιρα δίστομος (see δίστομος), Heb 4:12. of the sword as the instrument of a magistrate or judge: death by the sword, Rom 8:35; ἀναιρεῖν τινα μάχαιρα, Act 12:2; τήν μαχαίρας φόρειν, to bear the sword, is used of him to whom the sword has been committed, viz. to use when a malefactor is to he punished; hence, equivalent to to have the power of life and death, Rom 13:4 (so ξίφος, ξιφη ἔχειν, Philostr. vit. Apoll. 7, 16; vit. sophist. 1, 25, 2 (3), cf. Dion Cass. 42, 27; and in the Talmud the king who bears the sword, of the Hebrew king). Metaphorically, μάχαιρα, a weapon of war, is used for war, or for quarrels and dissensions that destroy peace; so in the phrase βαλεῖν μάχαιραν ἐπί τήν τήν, to send war on earth, Mat 10:34 (for which Luk 12:51 says διαμερισμόν); ἡ μάχαιρα τοῦ πνεύματος, the sword with which the Spirit subdues the impulses to sin and proves its own power and efficacy (which sword is said to be ῥῆμα Θεοῦ (cf. Buttmann, 128 (112))), Eph 6:17 (on the genitive in this passage cf. Ellicott or Meyer).*

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Help please...

I see the swords as simply self defense.

Exodus 22:2-3
Holman Christian Standard Bible
2 If a thief is caught in the act of breaking in, and he is beaten to death, no one is guilty of bloodshed. 3 But if this happens after sunrise, there is guilt of bloodshed. A thief must make full restitution. If he is unable, he is to be sold because of his theft.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Help please...

You mean you really don't know... the difference between someone slapping you on the cheek for preaching The Gospel, compared to a murderer coming at one of your children with knife and you have the ability to stop it?

What Jesus showed us in Luke 22 is that we have the God given right to defend ourselves. Only someone who is brainwashed wouldn't know this.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean you really don't know... the difference between someone slapping you on the cheek for preaching The Gospel, compared to a murderer coming at one of your children with knife and you have the ability to stop it?

What Jesus showed us in Luke 22 is that we have the God given right to defend ourselves. Only someone who is brainwashed wouldn't know this.

I think you have missed my point...

What I am fascinated by is the prophesy "He was numbered with the transgressors" and how this relates to requiring the disciples to be armed...

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What I am fascinated by is the prophesy "He was numbered with the transgressors" and how this relates to requiring the disciples to be armed...
Isaiah 53
Easy-to-Read Version
53 Who really believed what we heard? Who saw in it the Lord’s great power?[a]

2 He was always close to the Lord. He grew up like a young plant, like a root growing in dry ground. There was nothing special or impressive about the way he looked, nothing we could see that would cause us to like him. 3 People made fun of him, and even his friends left him. He was a man who suffered a lot of pain and sickness. We treated him like someone of no importance, like someone people will not even look at but turn away from in disgust.

4 The fact is, it was our suffering he took on himself; he bore our pain. But we thought that God was punishing him, that God was beating him for something he did. 5 But he was being punished for what we did. He was crushed because of our guilt. He took the punishment we deserved, and this brought us peace. We were healed because of his pain. 6 We had all wandered away like sheep. We had gone our own way. And yet the Lord put all our guilt on him.

7 He was treated badly, but he never protested. He said nothing, like a lamb being led away to be killed. He was like a sheep that makes no sound as its wool is being cut off. He never opened his mouth to defend himself. 8 He was taken away by force and judged unfairly. The people of his time did not even notice that he was killed. But he was put to death[c] for the sins of his[d] people. 9 He had done no wrong to anyone. He had never even told a lie. But he was buried among the wicked. His tomb was with the rich.

10 But the Lord was pleased with this humble servant who suffered such pain.[e] Even after giving himself as an offering for sin, he will see his descendants and enjoy a long life. He will succeed in doing what the Lord wanted. 11 After his suffering he will see the light,[f] and he will be satisfied with what he experienced.

The Lord says, “My servant, who always does what is right, will make his people right with me; he will take away their sins. 12 For this reason, I will treat him as one of my great people. I will give him the rewards of one who wins in battle, and he will share them with his powerful ones. I will do this because he gave his life for the people. He was considered a criminal, but the truth is, he carried away the sins of many. Now he will stand before me and speak for those who have sinned.”

Isaiah 53
King James Version

53 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the swords could be considered being a part of the bad guys.

This would be true without requiring the disciples to be armed.

He had all sorts of accusations against Him.

They were intent on rounding up His followers as well, otherwise Peter would not have denied Him three times.

Jesus was seen as a friend of sinners so I guess this was a symbolic gesture to underscore that He came for the common man and not the Pius.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I don't see a problem with the Luke 22 Scripture at all. When He told His disciples to go buy a sword it meant exactly that. The Luke 22:37 verse doesn't change that, if that's what you're up to.

Luke 22:35-38
35 And He said unto them, "When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing?" And they said, "Nothing."

36 Then said He unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in Me, 'And he was reckoned among the transgressors:' for the things concerning Me have an end."

38 And they said, "Lord, behold, here are two swords." And He said unto them, It is enough.
KJV

That part in green above is Jesus quoting from Isaiah 53, a chapter that prophesied of His crucifixion.

I don't see how any Bible believing Christian could get confused about that subject, since Christ's coming and death was first prophesied in the Old Testament prophets, particularly by David also in Psalms 22.

Jesus is talking about His coming crucifixion to them, which is why He quoted from Isaiah 53. That still doesn't change the fact that He told His disciples there to go buy a sword.

Now since His time of crucifixion was drawing near, He wanted His disciples to be able to defend themselves, especially since they were going out on the open road, which there's not just bad men, but also wild animals.

So the idea of a weapon for self-defense should not be seen as evil like liberal Leftists want to think, and who immediately holler for a weapon when they really have the need to protect themselves. (I even find it funny that some Leftists during the recent riots last year that went to gun stores to buy a weapon suddenly discovered that they could not take the weapon home that day, but had to wait for their background check to go through.)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now since His time of crucifixion was drawing near, He wanted His disciples to be able to defend themselves, especially since they were going out on the open road, which there's not just bad men, but also wild animals.

I really don't think this was the reason - He sent out the 12 and the 72 unarmed.

His reason for insisting on having swords was to fulfill the Prophesy "He shall be numbered among the transgressors...

So my question is what was unrighteous about carrying a sword?

I suspect nothing but Jesus knew Peter would use it in anger.

At that point the prophesy was fulfilled.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I really don't think this was the reason - He sent out the 12 and the 72 unarmed.

His reason for insisting on having swords was to fulfill the Prophesy "He shall be numbered among the transgressors...

No, that's what YOU want it to mean, because it's obvious that you have a problem with weapons.

The quote from Isaiah 53 is simply that His crucifixion had to happen, and The Gospel had to go forth to the world.

• Friendly
Upvote 0