• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help with Bible

alexier

Stand Firm In Faith
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2007
North Wales
✟121,233.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
I wonder if you could help me. In church there is a young man of 15 who was confirmed the other day and has severe learning difficulties.
Anyway he desp wants a Bible but his mum doesn't know which one to get that will be suitable for him, at the moment she is considering the comic book Bible as she doesn't want one with 'kids' on the front.
I'm just wondering if there is a Bible anywhere that is suitable for people with learning difficulties, I know in the Uk there are limited styles but in the US for example, there are many different types.

Any help gratefully accepted!

Lexie xx

Barnabas71

Veteran
Nov 4, 2006
✟11,030.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi just did a quike five second search on google. See what you think. I suffer with dyslexia and know the struggle it can be at times. But I am fortunate that it has not impacted on my reading abiltys to any significant extent. Spelling is something else as you can see. In this corner of CF i can get away with it without the fear of what people may think. :)

The Bible Source

Good luck.

Upvote 0

lifeknowingjesus

Christ's
Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
✟7,766.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if you could help me. In church there is a young man of 15 who was confirmed the other day and has severe learning difficulties.
Anyway he desp wants a Bible but his mum doesn't know which one to get that will be suitable for him, at the moment she is considering the comic book Bible as she doesn't want one with 'kids' on the front.
I'm just wondering if there is a Bible anywhere that is suitable for people with learning difficulties, I know in the Uk there are limited styles but in the US for example, there are many different types.

Any help gratefully accepted!

Lexie xx

How sweet of you to try to help him.

What about an audio bible? If he has trouble reading, maybe he would like to listen to the bible instead. I know I a couple of people that own one and love it.

Or you might get him a large print bible, for easier reading.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Alexi- both E-sword/G-sword and similar e-versions of the bible can then be reformated through a program called 'claro-read' and placed onto a digital recorder [Have a look for the DAISY system] this is often far easier to handle and navigate through than audio bibles.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A Bible publishing company put together a Bible series called "Bible Prospects" that is meant for people with learning disabilities. It offers simplified wording and large print. (This is a link for their book of Easter: Scripture Union - Bible Prospects: The Story of Easter )

I'm a teacher, so without knowing too much about what learning disabilities this child has I can only imagine what might work for him. I do really like audio Bible idea too, though I would still be concerned with the translation (some are easier to read than others) and even how the person who is reading the Bible sounds (accents can be difficult). If he's not a strong verbal learner, then an audio Bible would not work well for him.

Upvote 0