• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help me with my fears

KingGeorge

Sep 17, 2018
Toronto
✟18,901.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello christian community,

I am experiencing a lot of anxiety when I think about topics of divine guidance, and other things. For me it feels comforting to ask for guidance in life because of my anxiety issues, but it just creates more anxiety. People have told me that God guides us through the Holy Spirit. My understanding is that this means God is changing our thoughts and emotions in order to guide us, but this makes me feel violated and controlled by something outside of myself. It creates more chaos than comfort, but no matter how hard I try to let go of this whole guidance thing, the thought keeps coming: "God please guide me". Someone suggested to me that God guides me through my experience, but I still dont understand what that means! My closest guess is that He sends people to guide me, but again that conjures up anxiety because now I feel like God is controlling those people to come and aid me. I start analyzing who God sent in my life, and I start making false conclusions that God wants me to do that or this, and I feel like it's a dangerous thing to just 'guess'. I constantly get this anxious feeling that God is like this pupateer who controls the outside world, but I know people tell me He's not a pupateer. It just feels like He is. I get even anxious about the Holy Spirit bringing up biblical scriptures in my mind, feeling scared that the Holy Spirit has the potential to change my thoughts. God is really meaningful to me, but it pains me to hold onto Him. I don't know how to change this feeling.

Jags

Apr 27, 2019
Seattle
✟32,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just keep praying. I had tough times with stress etc before i was with god but when i started asking god for help he didn't help me right away but a few days later i didn't feel it anymore. Let Jesus help you he will help i'l be praying for you.

Reactions: KingGeorge
Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,703.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Simple advice: live naturally.

That is, there is no need to worry about anything as God cares for you.

Remember, not all people who will appear in your life are genuinely good people. And that's why you need to do your part in terms of analyzing people's behaviors, keeping track of those peoples actions with your loved ones, with others and of course with yourself.

Life is about experience more than it is about hearing some literal voice from God. God created us with a brain, with a soul, with a body.. we have some tremendously powerful cognitive functions. God didn't create all of those tools so that you throw them away and ask him for a voice.

Your duty? Live and let live. Never abuse anyone and never let anyone abuse you.

And of course pray continuously as this is important, but let prayer be a natural conversation with God, God is your friend.

Reactions: KingGeorge
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When I’m anxious it’s usually for no reason or because I’ve got ptsd from being abused as a child and I’ve been triggered by something I’ve seen sometimes without even being aware of it. I think through what I was doing and if I’m not doing anything harmful to myself, I try to ignore it. If I can’t, i have a few hobbies I use to distract myself. Painting ,designing , sewing, dancing and taking care of my houseplants . Otherwise I have to take the meds. So far the last 3- 5 years I haven’t had to take the meds. Sometimes just being able to list the harm. calms me down. And has to be real harm from the activity itself , not fear of punishment ( my parents abused me over normal behavior) . I remind myself, like that old tv commercial, “Is it live or is it Memorex? “

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing i have learned in my life and that is that God is not a God of confusion and fear but a God whom we may love and trust in.

The truth is God is love, and love moves us to do things through love - now to do His love is freely open. You may love the way you love as long as you love truthfully, for God is not only love, He is truth as well.

So when you begin to love God because He loves you then in that love you will find His will for you. Honest to do His will is a delight. To walk His ways a path secure against lives storms. His Voice of love created all things and is embodied in our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and what He did saving us from our sins and setting us free in His loving truth. His love grew me a new life right within and now i may dine with Him and bring Him glory.

So when i read your story it was love within that made me respond to come to your aid. No pushy God demanding i say this and that but simply my love for you as a fellow believer struggling down here. i speak out of my experience with Him as my Saviour. Jesus is the opposite of what you think of Him. Jesus and all of Heaven and all those who love true would want you to heed His loving truth as well. Love Himself has a dwelling place prepared for you.

So the fear that God will control your mind and make you a puppet, is a lie from the devil himself to scare you with distrust and let your fears grill you. The devil wants to control your life through your fears about God being some kind of forceful or overpowering force, which he himself is, and so making your faith life hell.

An invitation to The Chosen.

God's Love will not take or will
you to conform to rules or demand
which imprison, enslave, burn or kill you.

God's Love will not pervert what's Good
The Lord loves truthfully Wise and Good.
True Love was, is and always will be Good!

In God's Love you are free to be right!
In His love everything is good proper and kind.
He loves all who love good and true to rule!

His Love is caring, providing, and sharing.
His Love always enjoys and protects good life.
His love rules even when bad life has being in us!

Hear Jesus call - 'Come join up with us all!
Leave whatever ties you down and be free
loving good life with all God's own to be.'

To the rest in your heart God's asks
how long will you tarry in the darkness?
Please leave such bad existence within.

For life must not, no never should, or would, or could,
be forceful, rude, prideful, arrogant, selfish, lustful
or otherwise be untrue to God's loving truth.

Neither should life be hurting or ill,
hungry, oppressed, despised, hated
or otherwise have existence in wrong.

Please hand your Bad Life over to Jesus
Humbly ask for His Good Life back in return
and go love God, self and neighbour with Joy.

The Church knows that Jesus is coming soon
All bad life will be our shameful past then,
so please leave your bad life while you can!

Love

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I am experiencing a lot of anxiety when I think about topics of divine guidance, and other things. For me it feels comforting to ask for guidance in life because of my anxiety issues, but it just creates more anxiety. People have told me that God guides us through the Holy Spirit. My understanding is that this means God is changing our thoughts and emotions in order to guide us, but this makes me feel violated and controlled by something outside of myself. It creates more chaos than comfort, but no matter how hard I try to let go of this whole guidance thing, the thought keeps coming: "God please guide me". Someone suggested to me that God guides me through my experience, but I still dont understand what that means! My closest guess is that He sends people to guide me, but again that conjures up anxiety because now I feel like God is controlling those people to come and aid me. I start analyzing who God sent in my life, and I start making false conclusions that God wants me to do that or this, and I feel like it's a dangerous thing to just 'guess'. I constantly get this anxious feeling that God is like this pupateer who controls the outside world, but I know people tell me He's not a pupateer. It just feels like He is. I get even anxious about the Holy Spirit bringing up biblical scriptures in my mind, feeling scared that the Holy Spirit has the potential to change my thoughts. God is really meaningful to me, but it pains me to hold onto Him. I don't know how to change this feeling.

God wont harm you, so God's guidance is OK. He only blesses people.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

The verse that comes to mind about whenever I worry is Php 4:6,7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

First I notice it's a command and as such it's something I am responsible to get rid of. God's will is for us to not be fearful, worried or anxious. "For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit" Rom 14:17 Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27 It's not just a suggestion. It's a command.

Anxiety calls into question my priorities, my trust in God and obedience to God and questions my fruit of which "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control" Gal 5:22,23

What can you do to get rid of anxieties? Php 4:6,7 gives the answer. Pray about it until you get peace from God. Example: Jesus at Gethsemane. He was anxious, but prayed and "An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him." Lk 22:44 Notice that at his capture, trials and crucifixion he was free anxiety.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Why feel violated? You belong to him by right of Creation. He can do with you as he wishes. Be thankful that is true, as by your own self you would drive to destruction.

To me, that is the only comfort, that God is the one who drives me, in spite of my many rebellions and struggling against him.

"It is hard for Daddy to spank me, when I am hugging him as close as I can."

When I was in fear for my life, it was a huge comfort, even led to enjoyment of my circumstance, that God was the one causing, (and in control of) that very threat.

There is a huge blanket principle over everything, that this is all for God's sake, and he is no fool, having done all this for his own sake, and he has a reason for everything, for which he made everything. This is not about me.

Upvote 0

Simplywell

Jun 17, 2019
Oregon
✟15,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I have dealt with anxiety most of my life so I totally understand. When feelings of anxiety come over me I claim 2 Tim 1:7, God has not given me a spirit of feat but of power, love and a sound mind. This helps me remember where the source of fear comes from and helps me choose to change my thought patterns. As to your specific area of fear, again the source of the fear is important. Satan has been misrepresenting the character of God since his rebellion in heaven. He tries to put on God his own evil characteristics. God created us with free will. We are free to choose whether to follow Him or not. That doesn't mean there aren't consequences but it does mean he doesn't control us or anyone else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simplywell

Jun 17, 2019
Oregon
✟15,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why feel violated? You belong to him by right of Creation. He can do with you as he wishes. Be thankful that is true, as by your own self you would drive to destruction.

To me, that is the only comfort, that God is the one who drives me, in spite of my many rebellions and struggling against him.

"It is hard for Daddy to spank me, when I am hugging him as close as I can."

When I was in fear for my life, it was a huge comfort, even led to enjoyment of my circumstance, that God was the one causing, (and in control of) that very threat.

There is a huge blanket principle over everything, that this is all for God's sake, and he is no fool, having done all this for his own sake, and he has a reason for everything, for which he made everything. This is not about me.

God can do with us as He wishes, but He chose to give us free will. That is the heart of God, He wants us to choose to love Him not forces us to do so.

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Aquatic Waves

Mar 31, 2019
USA
✟29,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Your not alone. I'm going through the same thing now. And unfortunately, it's getting worse for me. Our anxieties might be different from each other but I still understand. I will keep you in my prayers and hope things will get better for you soon.

Upvote 0