Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
should I be using special candles only for Friday nite?
does it matter if I just use a regular candle?

Preferably candles are white. They should be lit 18 minutes before sun down, and they should last long enough to burn through at least kiddush, although the entire meal is preferable (roughly three hours). You can buy shabbat candles in grocery stores, gift shops, or online if you have nothing near you. They last longer than regular candles.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Preferably candles are white. They should be lit 18 minutes before sun down, and they should last long enough to burn through at least kiddush, although the entire meal is preferable (roughly three hours). You can buy shabbat candles in grocery stores, gift shops, or online if you have nothing near you. They last longer than regular candles.

Ok, white candles it is...thank you

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,003,971.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What time does it begin and what time does it end?

What do you suggest that one does during this time period?

It starts on Friday at sundown and lasts until sundown Saturday. As for what to do, well, reading Scripture and prayer and attending a religious service are all encouraged.

Of more concern is what shouldn't be done. I think there are a few different restrictions. The following is my own interpretation, and others here may disagree.

• No paid employment, household chores, or any other activity specifically forbidden including cooking, and shopping for essential goods. I don't believe in eating at restaurants either because it's another form of obtaining one's necessary food for the day.
  • No doing any activity that can be labelled as "work", including "working out", housework, schoolwork", etc.
  • No doing anything out of a sense of duty or obligation, even religious devotion or fellowship with family or friends. These things are good and right to do on the Sabbath, but the minute we force ourselves or feel guilty for not doing them, they become work for us, imo, and thus a sin.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Who has ceased to eat Manna?
Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
What is a Sabbath acceptable to Yahweh/Jehovah?

2 Timothy 3:15-16 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

15 and because from a babe the Holy Writings thou hast known, which are able to make thee wise -- to salvation, through faith that [is] in Christ Jesus;

16 every Writing [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,

• Winner
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
should I be using special candles only for Friday nite?

does it matter if I just use a regular candle?

Special sized Shabbat candles are sold in stores so they burn for a certain period of time (4 hrs). I used to use them long ago but they give off a soot. So I have been using Beeswax Shabbat candles I order from Amazon. More natural and they smell better. You can learn to make Challah too! Two loaves, one for Friday night and one for Saturday...a double portion of manna was given Friday so none would collect on Shabbat. You can make Kiddush over the wine (or grape juice) and Challah. Some cut Challah with a knife while others pull pieces off (break bread) and hand them out to all present. Hope this helps! Shalom!

Shabbat Texts

Amazon.com: Beeswax Shabbat Candles / 30 Pack - 4 Hour Burn Time: Home & Kitchen

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
u2spicey, I'd also like to share with you about ONEG SHABBAT, which means the Joy of Sabbath. We can look at Shabbat like it's a long list of don'ts. Or we can make it a day of special pleasures.

You are already doing some of that yourself, by your wonderful little walks out in nature.

One of the common ways we make joy on the Sabbath is with special foods that we don't ordinarily eat during the week. And we prepare them in advance so that we aren't stuck griping about, "Oh I wish I could have some chicken," because the chicken is already cooked! We don't try to force ourselves into eating patterns that don't fit us: if we are hard core carnivores, we eat meat, and if we are vegetarians, we don't eat meat. I'm on a low carb diet all week long, but on Shabbat, I take a break from it, because boy do I love carbs! I let myself enjoy a braided egg bread that we call Challah, and I usually have something sweet like a muffin or piece of cake. I also don't normally drink. But on Shabbat I allow myself a glass of Kosher wine for Kiddish.

Reading can be a pleasure on Shabbat. How often do we try to read a novel, only to have to put it down because some chore is calling or it's time for bed? On Shabbat, we have the time to binge read!

Many of us wind down and take a leisurely nap. All the stress of the workweek just gets exhaled.

So look for things you can add to your Shabbat that bring you joy. Make it a day you look forward to.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I let myself enjoy a braided egg bread that we call Challah, and I usually have something sweet like a muffin or piece of cake. I also don't normally drink. But on Shabbat I allow myself a glass of Kosher wine for Kiddish.
upload_2017-7-7_6-48-1.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-7_6-46-41.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-7_6-46-41.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Open Heart I have my candles and the exact time in my area of sundown, minus 18 minutes

I placed them onto a silver platter to prevent fire

I have youtube set to the candle blessing you sent me

I turned off the tv

I look forward to resting as well dear friend

Shalom Shabbat!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
@Open Heart I have my candles and the exact time in my area of sundown, minus 18 minutes

I placed them onto a silver platter to prevent fire

I have youtube set to the candle blessing you sent me

I turned off the tv

I look forward to resting as well dear friend

Shalom Shabbat!
How wonderful. I will be thinking of you as I light my own candles.

Shabbat Shalom

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is another Messianic Synagogue you might like to explore.

Synagogue Chavorat Hamashiach

(Meaning the Congregation of Fellowship Of The Messiah)

Erev (Eve.) Shabbat Worship Service Date & Time: Fri. Night @ 6pm

They even have a Siddur you can download to follow along. A Siddur is the order of Service, similar to what's in a Christian hymnal and prayers section.
You may download our siddur for this service HERE.

Shabbat Shacharit Worship Services

Date & Time: Sat. @ 10:00am

This a full Shabbat service, including traditional liturgy, a time of musical worship, a Torah reading service, a Shabbat teaching based on the weekly Torah portion, and a congregational oneg (fellowship meal) afterwards. We hope to see you there! You may download our siddur for this service HERE.

They also have Hebrew classes

Tuesday Night Verse-By-Verse Biblical Hebrew Study

Meeting Time:
Tues. from 6-6:30pm for beginners
6:30-8pm for our more advanced study.

Biblical_Hebrew_Study_web.jpg

And wait, there's more!

TeNaKh Talk - Weekly Torah Study

TeNaKh_Talk_web.jpg
Meeting Time: Wed. 6:00-7:00pm

All are welcome to join us for this study. If you are looking for an opportunity to strengthen your Biblical foundation, to strengthen your faith and walk, and to further your discipleship, than please join the Z'keinim (Elders) of our community in this weekly Torah study. Like many other synagogues, our congregation is currently observing a 3-year Torah reading cycle. You can download a copy of this 3-year reading schedule HERE.

Brit Chadashah (New Covenant) Scripture Study
Meeting Time:
Wed. @ 7:00-8:00pm

So as you can see you can find something for almost every day of the week and 'attend' in total privacy. :)

The Live Streaming Page

Synagogue Services Live Streaming
We offer live streaming for the following services & studies (Pacific Time Zone):

~ Erev Shabbat & Moedim services begin at 6pm. Click HERE for the Weekly Erev Shabbat siddur.
~ Shabbat & Moedim Shacharit services start @ 10am. Click HERE for the weekly Shabbat Shacharit siddur.
~ Weekly Torah Hebrew Study takes place on Tues. @ 6:30pm. Click HERE for our study verses.
~ Weekly TeNaKh Talk Study takes place on Wed. @ 6:00pm
~ Weekly Brit Chadashah Study takes place on Wed. @ 7:00pm

Click HERE to visit the CHM video archive.

ETA: Links
I love this information. I wish I could figure out how to "pin" it or post it somewhere on my profile page so I always have it and can also share it or something like that.

Upvote 0