united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saturday was spent outside in nature, walking by a beach and riding along bike trails. It was just me alone doing these activities so I could be alone with g_d.

I sang praise and glory to g_d over the beautiful and vast blue sky, the lush trees and flowers, and the gorgeous beach too.

My food consisted all of cold items from the refrigerator such as salads and sandwiches. I did no cooking and watched no TV during Sabbath.

When I returned home from walking with Him in nature, I was tempted to watch TV, but kept it off and went on CF instead.

Sunday, after Sabbath was over, I watched an inspirational service on TV with Pastor Joel Osteen.

So after the Osteen service, I did 6 loads of laundry.

I wish my birth family were here but they aren't and they aren't saved either.

I felt so refreshed today, that in the midst of doing laundry, I ran into my young police officer neighbor.

When she told me how she and her bf ran over to save some ones life when the crashed their car in front of their home,

I called them heroes and told them I loved them.

They looked stunned. I don't know that anyone ever tells them that except for each other.

And I felt a happiness and joyfulness in finally letting them know how I feel about them.

They both look out for me and help me with moving furniture and general questions regarding safety, such as how to use my fire extinguisher.

They both had rough lives and don't have any parents around anymore.

They know I'm a Christian and are starting to look at me and interact with me differently.

I can see in them a curiosity, especially now after being told they were loved and thanked for being heroes for saving someones life.

This love flowed out of me from practicing Sabbath and being with the l_rd.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is wonderful Spicy! I am so glad your first Shabbat was so refreshing and insightful and healing! Not just for you but it moved out into the regular week with love towards your neighbor.

That is the best example I've heard of the V'ahavtah.(and you shall love your neighbor as yourself)

Did you get a chance either Friday night or Sat morning to watch a Messianic Service?

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is wonderful Spicy! I am so glad your first Shabbat was so refreshing and insightful and healing! Not just for you but it moved out into the regular week with love towards your neighbor.

That is the best example I've heard of the V'ahavtah.(and you shall love your neighbor as yourself)

Did you get a chance either Friday night or Sat morning to watch a Messianic Service?

Thank you, @Lulav, I am blessed by your message.

(Yes, to Friday night service-see post #20 above, on page one)

Should I say I celebrated Shabbat instead of Sabbath?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
My first Sabbath experience was so deep as it was a complete lifestyle change, and it was an entire day long, not just some 1-2 hour service.
I feel wonderful for you, that you can share the blessed Sabbath peace with us. Halleluyah!

How serendipitous that you found online a messianic service to watch, one that resonated with you. It might not have been so -- the styles of messianic services vary, with some being more Pentecostal (such as yours) some more Evangelical, and some more Jewish. I listened to an archived version of the sermon, and it's not for me, but if it's for you, then I'm certainly glad you found a home. :)

Avoiding TV is a great way to keep the spirit of Shabbat, but it's hard, so I really respect you. I'm sure you were rewarded for it. And you're not driving????? REALLLY????? That's absolutely awesome! Once a month I drive to synagogue. I really, really admire you.

Kudos for not cooking! You are right, that's a real lifestyle change. You know, one idea that some of us use is that we throw things into a crock pot, and put it on the lowest setting, so that we have a nice warm meal on Saturday without cooking. Just an idea.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with your first Shabbat. Not only did you take on a lot, but you really experienced the the peace of the Shabbat Bride.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, @Lulav, I am blessed by your message.

(Yes, to Friday night service-see post #20 above, on page one)

Should I say I celebrated Shabbat instead of Sabbath?
Oh boy, when I got the alert it brought me to post #21, I completely missed your post before that!

I am so happy that is was such a blessing for you! :hug:

I wish more could experience Shabbat the way you did, and love a 24+hour long date with their creator instead of a few hours in a church. It is a wonderful thing and you really can't explain it, you have to experience it! and I'm so glad you did!

Thanks so much for sharing that with us!

Those little ones are something else right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I happened to see this today on Aish and thought of you...
My Journey to Observing Shabbat

That is a really great story and thank you so much for sharing it.

Are you able to give up technology for shabbat?

I loved the Beth Hillel service online as transport is difficult for me due to my physical challenges and am unable to manage operating a vehicle.

Is being online in worship not observant?

Idk ....and after the service and I was on CF so I'm not sure.

But to be completely free is the nicest thing to happen to me in a very long time.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh boy, when I got the alert it brought me to post #21, I completely missed your post before that!

I wish more could experience Shabbat the way you did, and love a 24+hour long date with their creator instead of a few hours in a church. It is a wonderful thing and you really can't explain it, you have to experience it! and I'm so glad you did!

Thank YOU! I LOVED the Beth Hillel service and have you to thank for connecting me.

the internet can be a curse and a heavy burden at times and for some, but for differently abled people, it can be a blessing!

You are right, it has to be experienced to be understood. Its so much more peaceful and meaningful than a one hour church service.

This is a lifestyle and a devotion to g_od.

This is totally different, and much better.

I must confess though, that on Saturday, I did watch the news for about 30 minutes, and it truly did take away from Shabbat, it really did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I want to light candles on friday night too and to say a prayer over them as Beth Hallel did.

I understand that I light them before sundown, but I was concerned about leaving them on all night.

But I found a smaller safer candle in glass that I might burn all night.

Is the candle a sign of His love for us?

Is there a history about the lighting of the candles and their meaning?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I want to light candles on friday night too and to say a prayer over them as Beth Hillel did.

I understand that I light them before sundown, but I was concerned about leaving them on all night.

But I found a smaller safer candle in glass that I might burn all night.

Is the candle a sign of His love for us?

Is there a history about the lighting of the candles and their meaning?

The commandments forbid one from kindling a fire on the Sabbath, so in ancient times if you wanted light on Saturday night you had to kindle your lamps before Sabbath began.

It is also the instant that you begin sanctifying the day.

Aside from that, it is just a beautiful ritual and reminder of what day it is.

• Useful
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The commandments forbid one from kindling a fire on the Sabbath, so in ancient times if you wanted light on Saturday night you had to kindle your lamps before Sabbath began.

It is also the instant that you begin sanctifying the day.

Aside from that, it is just a beautiful ritual and reminder of what day it is.

thank you I just love this

the lighting of the candle signifies the beautiful new day of being with g_od and devoted to Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
should I be using special candles only for Friday nite?

does it matter if I just use a regular candle?

You could use any candles, but there are shorter ones made specifically for Sabbath. They can be found online. I like the idea of buying and using these because 1) most are made by Jewish businesses. I think supporting the Jewish people financially is a good thing as they were the ones who preserved all this for us. 2) in a spiritual sense I feel a connection to the Jewish people and gratitude for their perseverance in spite of the fact that my ancestors tried to destroy them and their faith. Am Yisrael chai! The people of Israel live!

• Winner
Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
That is a really great story and thank you so much for sharing it.

Are you able to give up technology for shabbat?

Is being online in worship not observant?

I was born before computers and cell phones and even extensive television was around, so I could live the rest of my life without technology as long as I had a good book!

I'm Jewish, not Messianic, so what applies to me doesn't necessarily apply to you. For me, being online is not allowed because it is using electricity. However, since you are not obligated to Jewish law, I don't see why it should be an issue.

• Friendly
Upvote 0