Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
What time does it begin and what time does it end?

What do you suggest that one does during this time period?

Sunset Friday to sunset Saturday to start. Jewish law is a bit more stringent about the times.

I would start simply. Don't take on too much.

Sabbath is a day for abstaining from work and focusing on God and fellowship with other in the faith. You could read the weekly portions from the Genesis thru Deuteronomy and the Prophets and New Testament passages that are connected to those readings.

First Fruits of Zion is a pretty good resource to get started. Here is a reading schedule based mostly on the weekly readings in Jewish synagogues. Of course they do not read the New Testament.

Torah Portions Schedules

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thank you for the time information.

the reading would be nice, but for now, as it takes 6 weeks for delivery, so what do I do on Saturday?

I could try and attend a synagogue and hide in the back like a scared little mouse. :blush:

how can I eat if I cant light a flame?

does the "flame" pertain to the microwave or an electric stove top?

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
thank you for the time information.

the reading would be nice, but for now, as it takes 6 weeks for delivery, so what do I do on Saturday?

I could try and attend a synagogue and hide in the back like a scared little mouse. :blush:

how can I eat if I cant light a flame?

does the "flame" pertain to the microwave or an electric stove top?

If you are not Jewish, the stringencies of Sabbath keeping are completely voluntary for you. Do as much as you want or are able to do.

If you are looking for Messianic congregations in your area, try Google.

If you want daily readings based on the weekly Torah readings you could use this.

Daily Messianic Study and Reading

• Friendly
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sunset Friday to sunset Saturday to start. Jewish law is a bit more stringent about the times.

I would start simply. Don't take on too much.

Sabbath is a day for abstaining from work and focusing on God and fellowship with other in the faith. You could read the weekly portions from the Genesis thru Deuteronomy and the Prophets and New Testament passages that are connected to those readings.

First Fruits of Zion is a pretty good resource to get started. Here is a reading schedule based mostly on the weekly readings in Jewish synagogues. Of course they do not read the New Testament.

Thank you for helping me with my OP; your posted information is useful and kind.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thankfully today you don't have to live within driving distance of a Messianic synagogue to attend a service. Since I have been housebound on most Shabbats I 'attend' an online service or two sometimes.

There are some that Livestream so it's as if you were there, some even have a chat so you can communicate with them and they welcome you right during the service announcements (first names only).

Here are a few I like that have pretty good teachings

The only thing you need to know is the time they post may be out of your time zone so just be aware of that so you can catch it live. If not they do archive them and you can watch later.

Beth Hallel is one of my favorites and they even have an Erev Shabbat service as well (that is on Friday evenings ).

You can start tomorrow evening Spicy

Starts Tomorrow at 8:00 PM
6/30 Messianic Erev Shabbat at Beth Hallel
They are in Central Time zone so 9pm EST

And for the morning service go here

starts Saturday at 12:00 PM
7/1 Messianic Yom Shabbat
Beth Hallel
2230 Sumpter St, Birmingham, AL 35226, USA
Be sure to log in with your Livestream account so you can join the chat.

But you can also attend tonight too! They are having a special concert

Starts Today at 8:00 PM 6/29 Miqedem Live
It's a Messianic Musical Group, praise music in Hebrew!

From the Messianic Times

Miqedem is growing in popularity all over the Messianic Jewish movement. The band is based in Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel and their songs are taken directly from the Hebrew Tanakh. Their musical styling is a melding of various genres, much like their base home of operations is a melding of ancient and modern.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is another Messianic Synagogue you might like to explore.

Synagogue Chavorat Hamashiach

(Meaning the Congregation of Fellowship Of The Messiah)

Erev (Eve.) Shabbat Worship Service Date & Time: Fri. Night @ 6pm

They even have a Siddur you can download to follow along. A Siddur is the order of Service, similar to what's in a Christian hymnal and prayers section.
You may download our siddur for this service HERE.

Shabbat Shacharit Worship Services

Date & Time: Sat. @ 10:00am

This a full Shabbat service, including traditional liturgy, a time of musical worship, a Torah reading service, a Shabbat teaching based on the weekly Torah portion, and a congregational oneg (fellowship meal) afterwards. We hope to see you there! You may download our siddur for this service HERE.

They also have Hebrew classes

Tuesday Night Verse-By-Verse Biblical Hebrew Study

Meeting Time:
Tues. from 6-6:30pm for beginners
6:30-8pm for our more advanced study.

Biblical_Hebrew_Study_web.jpg

And wait, there's more!

TeNaKh Talk - Weekly Torah Study

TeNaKh_Talk_web.jpg
Meeting Time: Wed. 6:00-7:00pm

All are welcome to join us for this study. If you are looking for an opportunity to strengthen your Biblical foundation, to strengthen your faith and walk, and to further your discipleship, than please join the Z'keinim (Elders) of our community in this weekly Torah study. Like many other synagogues, our congregation is currently observing a 3-year Torah reading cycle. You can download a copy of this 3-year reading schedule HERE.

Brit Chadashah (New Covenant) Scripture Study
Meeting Time:
Wed. @ 7:00-8:00pm

So as you can see you can find something for almost every day of the week and 'attend' in total privacy. :)

The Live Streaming Page

Synagogue Services Live Streaming
We offer live streaming for the following services & studies (Pacific Time Zone):

~ Erev Shabbat & Moedim services begin at 6pm. Click HERE for the Weekly Erev Shabbat siddur.
~ Shabbat & Moedim Shacharit services start @ 10am. Click HERE for the weekly Shabbat Shacharit siddur.
~ Weekly Torah Hebrew Study takes place on Tues. @ 6:30pm. Click HERE for our study verses.
~ Weekly TeNaKh Talk Study takes place on Wed. @ 6:00pm
~ Weekly Brit Chadashah Study takes place on Wed. @ 7:00pm

Click HERE to visit the CHM video archive.

ETA: Links

• Winner
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

For starters for one that's being lead into the obedience of keeping that Day Holy (set apart) it is best to prepare before hand.

This usually means to plan your meal and do all the work that it entails.
Get your housework done and out of the way.
For now, plan out your day.

Shabbat starts in the evening when the sun goes down. It is summer right now so you can eat your dinner before it starts and have something to eat for B'fast that doesn't take preparation (cereal, fruit, pasteries, boiled eggs, etc).

This is the time many will read the portion of the torah for the week, so immerse yourself in his word.

I have found that starting on Israeli time for Shabbat that I get great insights into His word moreso than any other time, so take advantage of it! :)

On Shabbat Morning you can attend a service online. Rest, read, take a nap, watch some praise videos, take a walk and enjoy His creation! Put off the world from your shoulders and spend the day with Him.

I hope that helps as a starting point. You can add more as you go, don't try to do it all at once.

Many don't go out to eat or spend money that day, but trust Him to guide you and you can't go wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Shabbat starts Friday night at sunset and ends Saturday night at sunset. However, most of us begin it traditionally Friday about 18 minutes before sunset so that if things go wrong we aren't caught violating the Shabbat. And we also kind of "hang on" to the peace of Shabbat a while longer, until Twilight (when three stars are visible). Here is a website where you can plug in your zip code and it will give you the start and stop times for Shabbat each week. Shabbat Candle-Lighting Times

According to Torah, the two prohibitions on Shabbat are "work" and "not to kindle a flame." But what does that mean?

Different people in here have different ways of determining it. I can only speak for myself. You will have to listen to the arguments of the different folks in here and decide for yourself.

I give great weight to Deuteronomy 17:8-13. There, God gives tremendous authority to the Levites and judges to interpret the Law. The Children of Israel are not to go to the right or the left of what they say, and anyone who questions them is to be executed so that all Israel will be afraid. That's pretty strong language. I think that means what they say regarding what's "work" needs to be taken seriously. That means following Jewish law (halacha). Yes, it means lighting Shabbat candles and not going to work where you get a paycheck, but so much more.

The judges later became the Pharisees who later became the Rabbis, via the leaning of hands stretching back to the original 70 elders. They looked and saw that the labor that stopped on the Shabbat was the work (the creative activity or malacha) on the Tabernacle. So they examined the work on the Tabernacle and divided into 39 categories which are called Melachot. You will find these categories on the following website: 39 MELACHOT You can click on each item, and it will give you a description. I hope this will inspire you. Remember that as a Gentile you are not OBLIGATED to do any of this, and I know you won't do it all. But whatever if anything you choose to, that's fine!!!!

Just to let you know, a ch in Hebrew is more like a kh, a gutteral sound that is in between a k and an h.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Some of my favorite verses that to me are the bottom line in keeping the Sabbath....

Isaiah 56:2
Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.

Isaiah 58:13
If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

I would pray, talk with Him all day, in your standing up and in your sitting down, in your reading of His Word, in your songs, may this be a date with the best soul mate you could ever have, one in which you can talk and walk through that which is His and delight in His Presence. Thus you are letting Him bless your Sabbath with His Presence. That is what this set apart time with Him is all about.

The world's activities have been set aside, the preparations are done so that you will not be interrupted with the daily battles that usually confront you, even down to the meals you will eat, since preparation day has taken care of it all.

One of the reasons Jews don't have names for days, is because the name they give the days reminds them of how close they are to the next Sabbath. In fact, Sabbath is mentioned with everyday. That which we know as Sunday is MIA TON SABBATON or in English, the first of the Sabbath week. Monday would be, second of the Sabbath week. What they are doing is counting towards the next Sabbath day. If you are preparing all week for the Sabbath, then preparation day is easier. For beginners, it is wise to lay your time with Him out, so that nothing gets in the way of communing with Him, and enjoying His Creation, and doing good.

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Shabbat is a day to set apart spend with God, it's that special time between you and Him. I would recommend reading what your Bible says about the Shabbat and let the Spirit work through the word. I have found that it grieves the spirit when I choose to watch TV on Shabbat (that does not include teachings, just junk TV) so I do my best to refrain from TV. That may not be the same for someone else but for me I feel God does not want me to partake in that on His special day. My mom is Jewish so she has all kinds of traditions and prayers that she does on Shabbat Eve. I do not personally do those unless I am with her and I do it mostly to respect and honor her, although I do giggle a little when she does the commandment of the washing of hands :). I am excited for you may you be blessed by choosing His ways.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all so very much. I am impressed by your kindness and well, feeling so teary eyed about this whole thing.

I want to be like Jesus in everything.

There is nothing more comforting and soothing to me than to spend time alone with Him.

I want to rest in His arms.

I love your ideas to sing songs, read the bible, take a walk in nature and turn off the TV!

This will be my first time.

Shabbat Shalom!

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thank you all so very much. I am impressed by your kindness and well, feeling so teary eyed about this whole thing.

I want to be like Jesus in everything.

There is nothing more comforting and soothing to me than to spend time alone with Him.

I want to rest in His arms.

I love your ideas to sing songs, read the bible, take a walk in nature and turn off the TV!

This will be my first time.

Shabbat Shalom!
Shabbat Shalom

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For once in my life I felt

I had permission to "be still and know g_od."

This time, bc it was an activity that Yeshua did

I was set free to do it myself and not feel guilty.

This time to be set apart from the week just for us and our
l-ord, makes

it not a sin of laziness, but a sanctioned time for g_d and His children to be together.

The laundry, the dishes, the vacuuming the rug, I was allowed

to let them go-for something much more important:

time to worship and build that relationship with g_od.

Its so much better for me than to get all wound up and tense over having to be at church for that specific time of the service.

I have had a very hard time finding a church I liked, and when I did, they were always too far away to get there without getting a ride there from someone with a vehicle (I cannot drive due to arthritis).

My first Sabbath experience was so deep as it was a complete lifestyle change, and it was an entire day long, not just some 1-2 hour service.

It was much more relaxing to have all of this time with g_od.

Friday evening, I watched online, the MJ service given by Beth Hallel. It was my very first time attending a service like this, an MJ service that is.

It is called the Messianic Erev Shabbat.

I was so impressed and loved it immediately. It started with the children blowing those horns like they did in the bible.

That just gave me chills, as I knew that was in OT days and now I was hearing and seeing it done live.

I've never seen the Torah scrolls before and it was the perfect fit to have the Torah there and readings in Hebrew on the stage, as part of the service.

The Jewish part of the service adds in a rich and deep meaning that I've never seen in any christian church and it really makes Yeshua come alive.

To my absolute delight, the congregation was invited to dance all around the church with the Torah.

I Loved it!

And the praise and worship portion shocked me. I thought the service would be too serious to have a seriously spirit filled praise portion as in the non-den churches I've visited.

But sure enough, there they were on my screen, lifting up their arms to g_od and just praising him over and over...

So I rested my back against my recliner and closed my eyes and breathed slowly and raised up my hands with my sisters and brothers in Beth Hillel, and sang along with them.

Beth Hillel even chatted with me on the right side of the screen and gave me some information about how they take prayer requests and answer questions online. They also referred me to their terminology section.

I went to sleep after that, and felt that I was literally resting in His arms. I lay back feeling calm and reassured and loved.

It was just He and I that evening....at least here in my home it was.

But then again, it was really all of us, as we are the body of Christ, yes?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0