Help me - I think I'm being legalistic

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,627.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's not about *us* doing works...it's about being trusting enough to allow the Holy Spirit to do *his* works through us. That's our evidence of faith.
Dead works are so passé.

Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"If the Ten Commandments were not impossible enough, the preaching of Christian behavior, of Christian ethics, of Christian living, can drive a professing Christian into despairing unbelief. Not happy unbelief — tragic, despairing, sad unbelief. "

The Gospel Is for the Broken by Rod Rosenbladt

Anyone see the problem with that? The 10 commandments/Christian ethics are only impossible if we leave out part of the equation. That being, nothing says they cannot be broken, or we cannot mess up as long as we repent, something that is very simple to do. In short God sent his son to forgive of of the times we cannot keep the commandments, or that we don't follow other requirements the bible makes clear. Pretty simple concept.

Here's how the deception works:

When Mr Rodenbladt wrote that, by neglecting to mention the forgiveness part that makes the commandments/ethics as doable as is expected by God, he made it appear it's impossible, so naturally, what follows is just let everyone do as they want and still be saved, and it almost sounds logical until we realize it's a huge deception devised by simply using the very effective "half truth" method of confusing the issue.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last Wednesday or so I got the sudden hankering to sacrifice a few children to Moloch. It was a passing thought that's gone now so I'm sure I'll be okay.

But it got me thinking. If I don't sacrifice a few kids to Moloch every now and then, am I being legalistic? Am I relying on myself for my salvation?
So far you have six funny's. Not sure why you posted this.
Blessings

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Huh? ahh none?
Hosea 2: 16 On that day, says the Lord, you will call me, “My husband,” and no longer will you call me, “My Baal.” 17 For I will remove the names of the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be mentioned by name no more.

My guess is you've never played Diablo 2. :)

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
"If the Ten Commandments were not impossible enough, the preaching of Christian behavior, of Christian ethics, of Christian living, can drive a professing Christian into despairing unbelief. Not happy unbelief — tragic, despairing, sad unbelief. "

The Gospel Is for the Broken by Rod Rosenbladt

Anyone see the problem with that? The 10 commandments/Christian ethics are only impossible if we leave out part of the equation. That being, nothing says they cannot be broken, or we cannot mess up as long as we repent, something that is very simple to do. In short God sent his son to forgive of of the times we cannot keep the commandments, or that we don't follow other requirements the bible makes clear. Pretty simple concept.

Here's how the deception works:

When Mr Rodenbladt wrote that, by neglecting to mention the forgiveness part that makes the commandments/ethics as doable as is expected by God, he made it appear it's impossible, so naturally, what follows is just let everyone do as they want and still be saved, and it almost sounds logical until we realize it's a huge deception devised by simply using the very effective "half truth" method of confusing the issue.

Don't decontextualize what Dr. Rosenblatt is saying. He's addressing a particular concern- legalism. He's still a Lutheran, which means he doesn't think people are free to do whatever they want, but they are free from the condemnation of the Law if they have faith.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last Wednesday or so I got the sudden hankering to sacrifice a few children to Moloch. It was a passing thought that's gone now so I'm sure I'll be okay.

But it got me thinking. If I don't sacrifice a few kids to Moloch every now and then, am I being legalistic? Am I relying on myself for my salvation?
rather than sacrifice children why not sacrifice this straw man you're making... at least then it will be useful for something and it may help repress these desires.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Sacrificing to Molech isn't legalism, it's licensiousness. It's strictly forbidden under Mosaic Law and according to the prophetic witness.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Could just be some bad gas :D:D

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

There's a good Japanese Shin Buddhist aphorism that I think sums up the appropriate attitude here, from a Protestant POV, "Just because you have the antidote doesn't mean you should drink poison".

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I hear the pope is sympathetic to Moloch as well... at least that's what I read on the internet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The whole point of our ethics is not "you shouldn't sacrifice kids because it's illegal", but the deeper humanistic theme: human persons have inherent rights and dignity. Real Christian ethics is ultimately focused on persons, not rules. We should love what God loves. The Law is merely a guide to that, it's not some kind of ladder to my own personal righteousness.

There is legalism/illegalism and being lawful/unlawful. It is legal to sacrifice kids if society agrees to it, but it is absolutely unlawful to sacrifice them, because, not only should they not be sacrificed, but parents should give of themselves for their betterment, as is shown in Scripture. I'm sure that there is something that is illegal according to society, but is lawful according to Scripture, as well.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Huh? ahh none?
Hosea 2: 16 On that day, says the Lord, you will call me, “My husband,” and no longer will you call me, “My Baal.” 17 For I will remove the names of the Baals from her mouth, and they shall be mentioned by name no more.

"ORIGIN OF BAAL
From the Hebrew word baʿal lord"
the definition of baal

Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
It is important to note that the works referred to in the letter of Saint James to the Jewish Christian diaspora were not the Mosaic law, the works were related to the mercy and love of Jesus.

Which is not divorced from it.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I get that you're not being serious, but you lost me on how sacrificing a few kids to Moloch has anything even remotely to do with salvation.

No one calls a person a legalist for thinking that the laws of their country should be obeyed, so legalism is not in regard to thinking that followers of God ought to follow what He has commanded, but rather it is in regard to the manner in which someone obeys a law exactly how it is written according to the letter without regard to the spirit of the law or the intent behind it. So legalism leads to death just as assuredly as refusing to submit to God's Law because it undermines both the intent of what God commanded us to do and why He commanded us to do it. For example:

Leviticus 19:12 “‘Do not swear falsely by my name and so profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

Someone who was focused on obeying the spirit of this law would understand that its intent is for us not to swear falsely, whereas someone who was focused on obeying the letter of this law exactly how it was written would understand that we can swear falsely just as long as we don't do so in God's name, which incidentally is the heart of what Jesus was criticizing the Pharisees for doing in Matthew 23:16-22. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that they should be tithing without neglecting weightier matters of the Law of justice, mercy, and faithfulness, so this is another form of legalism that undermines the intent of God teaching us how to express His character traits through His Law.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hosea 2:16
"At that time," declares the Lord,
"you will call, ‘My husband’
you will never again call me ‘My master.

The MT reads (tiqrÿ’i, "you will call"; Qal imperfect 2nd person feminine singular).

There are wordplays on the terms (ba’al) here. The term (’ishi, "my man, husband") is a title of affection (Genesis 2:23; 3:6, 16) as the counterpart to (’ishah, "woman, wife")

And it shall be at that day, saith the Lord,
The Gospel day, the times of the Gentiles, the latter part of them; at the time of the conversion of the Jews, and the bringing in of the fulness of the Gentiles; at the time when God will allure and persuade them to seek the Messiah, and they shall turn to him; when he shall speak comfortably to them, and give them a door of hope, and all spiritual blessings, and cause them to sing as when they came out of Egypt: that thou shalt call me Ishi; or, "my husband"

Returning to Christ their first husband, and being received by Him, their desire to Him, and full assurance of it; shall not only be allowed to call him their husband and say as the church did, "my beloved is mine, and I am his", Song 8:14, or, "my man"

The man the Lord, the man Jehovah's fellow, Immanuel God with us, God in human nature; and so more manifestly points at Christ, who stands in the relation of a husband to his people: or, "my strength", as some interpret it; the husband being the strength, protection, and defence of the wife, the weaker vessel; so Christ is the strength of his saints, in whom they have righteousness and strength, and through whose strength they can do all things:

Isaiah 45:5
I am the Lord. There is no other God;
I am the only God.
I will make you strong,
even though you don't know me,

and shalt call me no more Baali; which means "my master" "Baali" represents lordship and fear.
Saints don't have the spirit of bondage to fear, but the spirit of adoption, whereby they call God their Father, and Christ their husband. It shouldn't be mentioned because it may led to thinking of that idol, and remember him, which the Lord would not be linked to.

Hosea 2:17
I will never let her say the names of Baal again;
people won't use their names anymore.

Exodus 23:13
"Be sure to do all that I have said to you. You must not even say the names of other gods; those names must not come out of your mouth.

Zechariah 13:2
The Lord All-Powerful says, "At that time I will get rid of the names of the idols from the land; no one will remember them anymore. I will also remove the prophets and unclean spirits from the land.

"And it comes to pass in that day, is the saying of Jehovah, thou wilt call, My husband; and thou wilt no more call to me, My Baal." The church will then enter once more into the right relation to its God. That is, the church as the feminine singular and the Lord as the Man to whom the church is betrothed.

Upvote 0