• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help me, I don't know what to do, extreme ocd!

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
When I was in bed trying to sleep i forgot to pray so I decided to pray in my thoughts while i was lying in bed. But I was already tired and I fell asleep. Before I fell asleep I think I've made a promise to God, but I'm not sure.

In the past I had extreme ''promises to God with terrible consequences if I did not keep them"
But for years my ''promise ocd'' stopped and I had other types of ocd like washing hands and checking things. Now recently, the ''promise ocd'' is sometimes coming back again.

The thing is, I have no idea whether this promise was ocd related or a real promise with a clear mind. I know God knows I suffer from ocd and that He knows I cannot help it to make this silly promises, but occasionally I make a promise without my ocd that sounds more valid.

So now I'm scared I've made a real promise to God in my bed during my prayer and I have attached a terrible consequence to it if i break it.

The thing is, I've already broke it, because I fell asleep and the next day I haven't tried fullfilling the promise, now, it seems like the consequence is happening in my life and I'm scared.

I also put a vague thought in my head about a rule that I cannot buy anything like clothes and makeup (food I can buy though), until I have fullfulled my promise to God. But for some reason I ignored my promise and bought clothes and makeup anyway.

Now I have this feeling I have to throw away or return everything that I have bought and fullfill my promise to God so that the consequence won't happen anymore.

Even though I've already broke my promise to God, for some reason I feel more relieved if I ''go back in time'' and pretend I've never bought the clothes and makeup and fullfill the promise.

The promise to God was actually just a prayer. But I had troubles concentrating because I was already tired so I might have said ''I will pray later, and if I don't something bad will happen, and also I cannot buy anything like clothes and makeup before I have finished my prayer''

I have done this promise 2 times that day and fullfilled that promise. I guess because it already happenend 2 times, I automatically make that promise that night in bed. It became a habit to make that promise with consequence.

I know you might be thinking, why would you pray if you're tired and almost falling asleep. But I also have this guilty thing that I have to pray before I sleep, even though I'm tired.
And because I couldn't concentrate on my prayer in bed I thought maybe I should give it a rest for 5 minutes and then try praying again. But then I ended falling asleep. The next day I had a difficult time thinking what I have done before I went asleep. So everything is vague. And I tried multiple times recalling what I have done, but I decided the safest bet is to fullfill my promise and return/throw everything away that I have bought after my broken vow.

I go to a psychologist, but we've dealt with other disorders I also have and I never mentioned this one because I thought it was already gone in my life, but now it's coming back.
She also said the therapy is over this year, so next year I wont have a psychologist anymore.

In the meantime, I dont know what to do, I was thinking throwing away my new bought clothes and fullfill my promise for the safest bet, but it sounds stupid and very ocd.

What am I supposed to do?

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I really don't know what to do right now. The thing is I have to buy a birthday present, but I cannot buy anything because of that promise I've made until I have reversed everything. But it feels so weird to return the stuff I bought that I actually like and to throw away my new bought makeup. It such a waste of money. But I cannot live with it in case that terrible consequence will come true. I rather throw away my stuff now and start with a clean slate, or else I dont have peace. But for some reason I still have doubts to do this, because it feels so stupid. I dont have much time about the birthday present and I'm scared what to do??

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really don't know what to do right now. The thing is I have to buy a birthday present, but I cannot buy anything because of that promise I've made until I have reversed everything. But it feels so weird to return the stuff I bought that I actually like and to throw away my new bought makeup. It such a waste of money. But I cannot live with it in case that terrible consequence will come true. I rather throw away my stuff now and start with a clean slate, or else I dont have peace. But for some reason I still have doubts to do this, because it feels so stupid. I dont have much time about the birthday present and I'm scared what to do??
How about you ask God to forgive you if you did a promise and then don't make any more promises?

God loves you. You don't have to make Him promises, He will meet you right where and how you are. He is a loving Father.

Here is a prayer that might help.
I thank you Father for your unconditional love. Thank you that You hear me and You see me and You are aware of my situation. In the name of Jesus and authority that you have given me I bind anything that raises against You and declare my body, my soul and my spirit as the temple of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Upvote 0

Ahermit

May 10, 2015
✟48,465.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It takes unconditional faith to face all your own fabricated fears, and to see the truth.
To accept all your so-called consequences is to face your own fears and your own truth.

Truth will set you free from all your fears. Surrender to what you 'know' is true, regardless how little bit that may be. And when you do, Truth will merge with you, and 'touch' your heart. When Truth 'touches' you, you become untouchable by your fears.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God knows your heart and if you pray for His forgiveness for any perceived wrongs He will forgive you.
Even when your thoughts get out of control remember this. Take heart that when He forgives, He remembers no more.
TRUST GOD ALONE and don't worry about past promises, God sets you free from all of this so don't believe it when these feelings try to confuse you.
Hold to the truth that sets you free.

There's no need to throw things away, pray to God, tell Him everything, ask for strength and clarity of thought.
A good scripture to remember at anytime when muddled, anxious, tired etc is Psalm 46:10a Be still, and know that I AM God.
Perhaps that could even be something you pray:" Dear God help me to remember to be still and know that You Are God."

God bless you dear one.:cherryblossom:

Upvote 0

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I want to believe that everthing will be okay, but its so hard. My ocd is very strong and hard to ignore. I have more peace if I just obey my ocd. Im so scared my selfmade concequence will come true. I always put a consequence next to a promise. Thats my ocd. And this consequence is my biggest fear. I might not want to live anymore if it ever come true. So I might better obey my ocd so I have peace. Althought I dont like it, because I have to throw away my stuff I just bought. Its such a hopeless situation.

Upvote 0

123flower

Apr 22, 2012
✟25,520.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I’m such in a hopeless situation. The thing is, is that I realize now that I have bought more than I thought. Groceries doesn’t count, but in the supermarket I have also bought things like toilet paper and tissues and other household items. So because of my ocd I also have to throw that away but I have a supply of all that and I don’t know anymore what I have bought since I’ve made that promise. During my groceries I totally forgot to remind myself not to buy household items. So even though I’ve thrown away my new bought clothes and makeup I still have to throw away the household things I just bought but I don’t know anymore what I’ve bought and I don’t have a receipt to check what I’ve bought. I’ve already skipped a birthday because of this but more birthdays will come and I cannot buy anything before I’ve thrown everything away after I’ve made that promise. I’m afraid the scary consequence will come true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums