Help me figure out what denomination I am...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
We have to go through the history, like the protestant reformation within the Catholic church, then I would say, at that time, I would have been a protestant, but what am I now?, am I a Baptist or a Methodist...

Could someone please help me out by asking me questions as to figure out what denomination I am, if any?

God Bless!

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We have to go through the history, like the protestant reformation within the Catholic church, then I would say, at that time, I would have been a protestant, but what am I now?, am I a Baptist or a Methodist...

Could someone please help me out by asking me questions as to figure out what denomination I am, if any?

God Bless!

First, I would have to ask what it is that you believe, and what you value. What do you do with those beliefs and values?

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself why you believe what you believe. If you simply believe what the bible tells us, then there's no need for denominations. Denominations were created by man. I consider myself nondenominational because I don't understand the need to first read the bible and then figure out which set of rules to follow afterward. God speaks to us through His Word, not rules.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God Bless!

Try this out. It asks all the right questions.

Christian Denomination Selector, a SelectSmart.com Religion selector. Ask about my top result.

I tried it and it's pretty accurate.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would recommend not even going there. What you believe in your heart as God has shone you, that is your denomination.

It doesn't assign you to a denomination and force you to join. But it is a list of the questions we need to ask when we choose a denomination (even if its choosing non-denomination). In my experience, God just calls us to be Christian. When I became Christian, I chose Methodist. After 6 years, I realized that it was the wrong theology for me.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my experience, God just calls us to be Christian. When I became Christian, I chose Methodist. After 6 years, I realized that it was the wrong theology for me.

You make my point better than I did. Look around this website and see the vast array of denominations there are. Many are so rigid they will not even let you post your thoughts/ideas. You have the Holy Spirit in you and He leads you in Truth. It really doesn't matter what you call yourself. You belong to Christ and don't require man to determine where you fit. Every denomination has things wrong...none of them have a corner on Truth. They just cause deeper and deeper divisions between members of the Body of Christ leading to even more denominations. That cycle will continue until He comes for us.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only you can answer that question. And why do you bother anyhow? Christ did not set up denominations. You can either make the Bible your sole and supreme authority in all things pertaining to doctrine and practice, or you can opt for a smorgasbord of some Bible and many traditions of men. Know the Scriptures, examine the Statements of Faith, and see if the New Testament pattern os being followed or not.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You make my point better than I did. Look around this website and see the vast array of denominations there are. Many are so rigid they will not even let you post your thoughts/ideas. You have the Holy Spirit in you and He leads you in Truth. It really doesn't matter what you call yourself. You belong to Christ and don't require man to determine where you fit. Every denomination has things wrong...none of them have a corner on Truth. They just cause deeper and deeper divisions between members of the Body of Christ leading to even more denominations. That cycle will continue until He comes for us.

He asked a question. I was being helpful. In all honesty, I wouldn't let a web page choose my denomination any more than I would ask a bunch of strangers on the internet to help me choose.

But since he asked in this particular sub-forum, I knew he'd be bombarded with the close-minded "denominations iz frum da debbil" replies and I was trying to help him out before they started.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He asked a question. I was being helpful. In all honesty, I wouldn't let a web page choose my denomination any more than I would ask a bunch of strangers on the internet to help me choose.
But since he asked in this particular sub-forum, I knew he'd be bombarded with the close-minded "denominations iz frum da debbil" replies and I was trying to help him out before they started.

And in my opinion your response was excellent advise. When I wrote "I wouldn't even go there" I was not referring to your advice. I meant that whatever her decision ends up being that the beliefs held by that denomination will have many things wrong. By that I mean no one person nor denomination has everything right.
I was very fortunate to have been in a situation when I got save where I was able to spend all day every day reading The Bible. I didn't even tell anyone for 2 weeks that I had been born again. God showed me so much during those 2 weeks that when I did tell others I already had a deep understanding that, had I not, I know I would have been led astray.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
First, I would have to ask what it is that you believe, and what you value. What do you do with those beliefs and values?

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself why you believe what you believe. If you simply believe what the bible tells us, then there's no need for denominations. Denominations were created by man. I consider myself nondenominational because I don't understand the need to first read the bible and then figure out which set of rules to follow afterward. God speaks to us through His Word, not rules.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Bible is the Bible. If you believe it, you're Christian; that's about all there is to it.

I don't really put much value on denomination because I think, for the most part, it's 'inherited'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟59,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Bible is the Bible. If you believe it, you're Christian; that's about all there is to it.

I don't really put much value on denomination

because I think, for the most part, it's 'inherited'.

And I would add to that for you to bury yourself in His Word. Get to know Him before onslaught of demons and denominations pounces on you...and they will.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I guess I'm looking for a denominational "tree" that shows and displays the over 41 thousand alone, different Christian denominations, branches over time...

Anyone know where I can find one? If so please post link...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Try this out. It asks all the right questions.

Christian Denomination Selector, a SelectSmart.com Religion selector. Ask about my top result.

I tried it and it's pretty accurate.

I answered the questions and went through it twice just to make sure and both times my top result was "Assemblies of God" fellowship, but I don't know anything about Assemblies of God?

Where did they come from? off of which Christian sects (in the past) did they branch off from and why is what I'm looking for?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I answered the questions and went through it twice just to make sure and both times my top result was "Assemblies of God" fellowship, but I don't know anything about Assemblies of God?

Where did they come from? off of which Christian sects (in the past) did they branch off from and why is what I'm looking for?

God Bless!

I just did some research and it says, it is "American Pentecostalism" But, I'm no Pentecostal, need more info, I don't think I agree with the sites conclusion...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AoG did come out of the Pentecostal movement which is most famous for their beliefs that the "charismatic gifts" like tongues and prophecy are still active today and also in some areas women don't cut hair, wear makeup, or pants. Honestly, the best thing you can do is to visit various local churches and find a church home. If you like the preaching and the people, there's your denomination. Any pastor should be willing to go over their history and what makes their beliefs and practices unique from other Christians

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God Bless!

You are not a denomination and you should not desire to be a denomination. You are a follower of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0