Help me do a scientific paper on the Great Flood.

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to bug out of here. The willful denial of overwhelming evidence is too much for me. The stuff I have seen in several recent threads is really so far out it has become a distorted, irrational fantasy, not even supported by the Bible itself, just snippets of verse that are being misinterpreted to make wild claims. 'Tis sad.

Have fun arguing over nonsense.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you view the flood as a regional deluge (flooding of the 'known world. Which at the time would compromise the middle east and the mediterenaen world) and you place the date anywhere between 4500bc to 2000bc. You can use a flood theory as the reason for the Back into Africa theory. Basically a huge one-off migration back into africa due to some thing (possibly agricultural) that forced a large portion of the Eurasian population to move deep back into africa:

Back to Africa: Ancient Human Genome Reveals Widespread Eurasian Mix | Science | Smithsonian

There is no evidence of a "back to Africa" migration We know from recent DNA studies that all human populations show evidence of Homo Sapiens Sapiens having interbred with Homo Neandertalensis except for one population --- Africa. Africa never had a population of Neandertals. If there was a back migration it would have left Neandertal evidence in their DNA.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The flood occurred in 2315 BC, 1657 years from creation:

Attachments

• GuideChronologyLatest.gif
    GuideChronologyLatest.gif
    277.5 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Noah's Ark was rediscovered in the 1970's. Throughout history it has been continually found and then forgotten about:

NoahsArk.jpg

You can go and visit it, it has it's own tourist centre:

Google Maps

This is a film all about it:

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm working with the author of NewGeology.us to write a scientific paper proving that the Great Flood was real. He suggests that the flood occurred about 10,000 years ago, but he's open to other datings, if the evidence shows it. And I think it definitely does. The evidence I've read suggests the flood occurred around 4400 BP. I like a lot of the info in John Baumgardner's paper on Noah's Flood ..., as well as the NewGeology site info. Some of Walter Brown's info at CreationScience.com seems helpful too. I'm also gleaning good info from Creation.com and others. E.g., I found out lately that the world's salt deposits likely were extruded as magma, instead of being evaporated from oceans of seawater.

I'd like to have help listing the main arguments against a recent dating of the flood and finding good evidence against those arguments.

Well I do not know if this presentation will help you, I think it will give you some more ammunition. If you can spare the time, do take a look.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Noah's Ark was rediscovered in the 1970's. Throughout history it has been continually found and then forgotten about:

View attachment 189706

You can go and visit it, it has it's own tourist centre:

Google Maps

This is a film all about it:

O goody, goody --- the ark has been discovered yet again. This seems to happen about once a decade and every single one was a fraud.

• Winner
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
2 Peter 3
3Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly. 8But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

6 days for work, 1 day to rest.
6000 years for man to toil, 1000 years for The Lord of The Sabbath's Millennial reign.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
isnt the whole point of the theory? that African populations do show neanderthal dna but to a lesser extant?
That was the theory, but the theory turned out to be based on an error. See here for the correction to the study you cited, which included changing the name of the paper. Their final conclusion is that there was migration back into East Africa, but not into most sub-Saharan Africa.

Last edited:
Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
... the following book .... cataclysm.......

Pure pseudoscience. There are hundreds of fakery books like this, all hawking delusions.

To see through these and be able to think clearly, I was surprised at how clear, concise, and understanding this little book is. It's "Science and Unreason" - it should be standard reading when one gets to around 20 years old.

At just 110 pages, one can finish it in a sitting or two. The few dollars a used copy costs pays off quickly in time saved by not being sucked into this or that latest idiocy (like the cataclysm book above).

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Science and Unreason

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have you read it?

Reading the description is enough to show it is pseudoscience. Expecting everyone to read every page of every pseudoscience book before pointing out that they are pseudoscience is as fallacious as expecting someone to look at every inappropriate contentographic picture of a inappropriate contentographic magazine before allowing them to say that it's a inappropriate contentographic magazine. You are better than that.

In Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Uh-huh. Well, I won't belabor the point; I've been down that road before.
But while we're chatting, how do you know what I'm "better than"? ;)

It's just a guess, of course - but I guessed you are better than fallacious word games based on your claim to be married and the fact that most people are decent human beings. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong. ; )

in Christ-

Papias

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My, aren't we snarky.

I won't reciprocate. Instead, may the blessings of Our Lord Jesus Christ alight upon you and remain with you forever.

I am retiring from the thread; the atmosphere here seems.....a little tense. Peace be with you, and goodbye now. :)

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So if there was not a worldwide flood then what is the bible talking about. I believe it is more than an allegory as Jesus also refers to the event. Possible may be a localised flood around what was probably considered the ancient world. In those days without the knowledge, the world may have been what was known and they had no idea that the rest of the planet existed. As it was in ancient times people thought all different things about the world such as the earth was flat in the days of Columbus.

So people could not have known how big the world was because there just wasn't enough knowledge about it. So the writer of the flood story could not have been able to make a proper judgement on how big the world was and if they did they had more scientific knowledge that people had centuries later. Chances are the ancient people thought the world was as far as the eye could see or as far as they had heard about from travellers.

It is interesting that there are many flood stories around the middle east especially around Mesopotamia and all around the time of Noah. The Babylonian flood story "The Epic of Gilgamesh" is one. Some say it may be talking about the same event. So maybe there was a big flood around the Middle East that people think was a worldwide flood. Maybe it served as the biblical story that got Gods message across.

Flood Myths in the Religions of the Ancient World

Upvote 0