St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all, I'm have no idea what the proper forum for this would be. There may not be one that fits this.

Anyway, I'm looking for help identifying the following symbol:

20190330_204509.jpg

Here's the back story. A very, let's say... unsusal... person came in to our church not long ago and wrote this symbol on a white board. He came in with 5 minutes left in service, made a big distraction, wandered around doing and saying odd things and left this. He's been there before, but it has been a while.

I have no idea what it is, but I have 2 suspicions, however they are only guesses based on behavior and background.
1. Witchcraft/Occult symbol
2. Ukrainian Catholic symbol
But it could be anything, even just made up.

Anyone ever seen anything like it?

Attachments

• 20190330_204509.jpg
    20190330_204509.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 2

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all, I'm have no idea what the proper forum for this would be. There may not be one that fits this.

Anyway, I'm looking for help identifying the following symbol:

View attachment 254930

Here's the back story. A very, let's say... unsusal... person came in to our church not long ago and wrote this symbol on a white board. He came in with 5 minutes left in service, made a big distraction, wandered around doing and saying odd things and left this. He's been there before, but it has been a while.

I have no idea what it is, but I have 2 suspicions, however they are only guesses based on behavior and background.
1. Witchcraft/Occult symbol
2. Ukrainian Catholic symbol
But it could be anything, even just made up.

Anyone ever seen anything like it?
It looks Chinese. The bottom part 王 is similar to the Chinese symbol for king.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: topher694
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My first instinct was to look up the various planetary/astrological/alchemical symbols, and this one looks a lot like the planetary symbol for Jupiter (which was also used as a symbol for tin by medieval alchemists). It looks like the symbol for Jupiter, but with a bar through it.

I looked at a couple other sets of symbols on Wikipedia--but nothing even remotely close.

Given your description of the man's behavior, my guess is that he probably needs help. And the symbol probably doesn't mean anything at all. At the very least, even if it does have some meaning somewhere out there, it's not like scribbling a symbol on a whiteboard has any power and so it remains meaningless.

That it kind of looks like the symbol for Jupiter/tin with a line through may just be coincidence as well.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My first instinct was to look up the various planetary/astrological/alchemical symbols, and this one looks a lot like the planetary symbol for Jupiter (which was also used as a symbol for tin by medieval alchemists). It looks like the symbol for Jupiter, but with a bar through it.

I looked at a couple other sets of symbols on Wikipedia--but nothing even remotely close.

Given your description of the man's behavior, my guess is that he probably needs help. And the symbol probably doesn't mean anything at all. At the very least, even if it does have some meaning somewhere out there, it's not like scribbling a symbol on a whiteboard has any power and so it remains meaningless.

That it kind of looks like the symbol for Jupiter/tin with a line through may just be coincidence as well.

-CryptoLutheran
Thanks, I did a lot of searching myself and missed that one. My thinking is if I can identify the symbol it may help me identify his intent. I'm not worried about the symbol itself.

Upvote 0