United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi CF community,

For a bit now,I have been struggling concerning a certain piece of the Gospel.One of the things I have a hard time beliving(But not in the form of unbelief) more like unwanted doubt about Jesus’s Death on the cross.Awhile back I went through a phase where I didn’t doubt Christ’s death but his resurrection,now it’s vice-versa

please let me say also,I desire to believe God,I want to believe.And the reasons I worry so much about these subjects on the topic of doubt is because I want them to be true(though in my mind I know they are) I just lack the conviction and assurance.I don’t ever want to call the Good lord a liar,I never would say that.

I’m just very confused and worried.I want to be saved and I want to follow Christ.But one thing I do constantly is pray. As I know Gods power can do all things.Can anyone please help me with some advice or share similar experiences(if so how do you overcome these troubling times)

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi CF community,

For a bit now,I have been struggling concerning a certain piece of the Gospel.One of the things I have a hard time beliving(But not in the form of unbelief) more like unwanted doubt about Jesus’s Death on the cross.Awhile back I went through a phase where I didn’t doubt Christ’s death but his resurrection,now it’s vice-versa

please let me say also,I desire to believe God,I want to believe.And the reasons I worry so much about these subjects on the topic of doubt is because I want them to be true(though in my mind I know they are) I just lack the conviction and assurance.I don’t ever want to call the Good lord a liar,I never would say that.

I’m just very confused and worried.I want to be saved and I want to follow Christ.But one thing I do constantly is pray. As I know Gods power can do all things.Can anyone please help me with some advice or share similar experiences(if so how do you overcome these troubling times)

That seems a bit odd to me. I could see it if it was the other way around. What is it that makes you doubt he was crucified?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi CF community,

I sometimes struggle with invasive thoughts regarding theology, and this may be what you are going through. It’s not exactly the same as genuine doubt, which arises from one’s self, but may feel more like a “downloaded” doubt which you are fighting against.

Pray about this. Just keep asking Christ for faith and for help to believe in these things. “Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!”

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟116,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That seems a bit odd to me. I could see it if it was the other way around. What is it that makes you doubt he was crucified?
I don’t know,I just worry because I worry about if it’s false.I don’t want to doubt Christ,I want to believe.I may sound like a doubting Thomas,but I have difficulty believing it when it happened so long ago.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi CF community,

I recall one thing you might find of interest is that the historian Josephus wrote about the crucifixion being fact, he wasn't a Christian.

Josephus’ References to Crucifixion

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recall one thing you might find of interest is that the historian Josephus wrote about the crucifixion being fact, he wasn't a Christian.

Josephus’ References to Crucifixion
Yep! Here’s the original quote in question;

Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake Him; And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟323,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don’t know,I just worry because I worry about if it’s false.I don’t want to doubt Christ,I want to believe.I may sound like a doubting Thomas,but I have difficulty believing it when it happened so long ago.

Honestly, to believe that a Jewish rabbi was crucified two thousand years ago is not all that difficult. That was a common occurrence in those times. That Jesus was crucified is a given.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi CF community,

Keep your mind "fixed on Christ" -- read nine chapters of this world-famous commentary on the life of Christ dealing with His death and resurrection.

The Desire of Ages

(BTW it is impossible to believe in His resurrection from the dead without believing that He died - you realize that right?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do have OCD
That’s probably it, then. Just keep praying, friend, and trusting. Ask Christ to help you to overcome this doubt, and even within doubt, keep trusting and moving forward; in spite of the thoughts or feelings you might have. Keep asking for help, and realize that you are not alone here. He is with you, and cares for you.

Christ has died, Christ is Risen, Christ shall come again.

• Friendly
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi CF community,

There were bones recovered from a Roman era burial in Jerusalem. The heal and wrist of the man buried had nails through them, evidence of crucifixion.
Jehohanan - Wikipedia
upload_2021-8-3_19-55-48.jpeg

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I do have OCD

I'm not an expert or therapist, but everytime a random thought out of nowhere comes to my mind, I say "Get behind me Satan," and direct my thoughts to something beautiful and uplifting.

1 Corinthians 1:8 NIV
He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 4
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Force yourself to read or think good things.

If Christ never lived or died none of us has any hope. But He did and we do have hope!

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This might sound strange, but it sounds like you already believe, but you are "afraid" of doubting. It sounds like the spirit of fear. For God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love and of a sound mind, 2 Timothy 1:7.

When we are attacked by fear, sometimes we want to stop it. Stop the thoughts. But that makes it worse, and we start to think it's real. Because we are fighting against the flesh. So understand that the fleshly man has been crucified with Christ, and we walk in Newness of life in the Spirit of Christ. This much is true! So try and turn over the fear to God, and allow God to walk you through your fears by praying to Him and asking Him to remove it. He can battle the spirit of fear better than we can.

Upvote 0

WonbyOneanddone

Oct 14, 2020
ohio
✟34,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi CF community,

Watch the movie "Case for Christ" by Lee Stroeble.

Cheers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi CF community,

I pray that God can bless you with the faith you need but..
I'm kind of not sure how to process this particular unbelief. Like, not believing in the resurrection I can understand that, not believing Jesus was the Son of God I can understand that, not believing in 7 day creationism, I struggle with that myself. A lot.
I struggled with belief in the existence of God at all.
or whether Jesus was a real historical person or just a fabrication...
but outside of not believing Jesus was ever real..
I've never had any doubt that He died on a cross.
when I was younger I maybe had doubts as to whether that death on the cross was for me

But the death on the cross itself?
that was probably the easiest part for me to believe, that if Jesus was real, then He died on a cross.
I think only Muslims tend to believe Jesus was real, and deny His death on the cross.
I think even Atheists will admit that if Jesus was a real person then the death on the cross was a true historical event.

Can you think of why you wouldn't believe He died on a cross in particular?

Christ's resurrection from the dead is the central, most important thing in Christianity. Everything we believe hinges on His resurrection, and for Him to have resurrected He had to die.
It was in old testament prophecy that the Messiah would die for our sins. Isaiah chapter 53 is the principal old testament scriptures that predict that, but it is also in Daniel chapter 9, and references to the crucifixion are in Psalm 22, and Zechariah 12 among other places (references to being pierced in the hands and feet)
The bible predicted it, it happened, it was witnessed, and then He was resurrected, which was also witnessed by hundreds of people who interacted with a living breathing Jesus for 40 days after His crucifixion

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
like unwanted doubt about Jesus’s Death on the cross.Awhile back I went through a phase where I didn’t doubt Christ’s death but his resurrection,

There is no sin in having doubts or questions about ones faith, so long as one is seeking answers to those doubts and questions.

As has already been suggested Lee Strobel ' The Case for Christ.' is worth getting and reading the book, as he talks to leading experts about the crucifixion.
He investigated it as an atheist trying to prove it false, but could not.

Or start following the coldcasechristianity web site where a detective examines the case for and against Christianity.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'd highly recommend finding anything by J. Warner Wallace online or in print. His book "Cold Case Christianity" is a great primer on the Resurrection of Christ. Dr. Gary Habermas has also written on the Resurrection and is, in fact, a leading authority world-wide on the matter. His book, "The Historical Jesus" deals very thoroughly with the historicity of Christ and his crucifixion and resurrection.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0