Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi folks, I'm a new Christian, absolutely ravenous for the Lord, and newly fascinated with Catholicism. I know almost nothing about it but I have read a few of these threads and they are knocking my socks off. For the past few days I have given more than I once thought possible to the Lord and have prayed for some direction in my life. The Holy Spirit has been pointing me this way for some reason. I even almost went to a Catholic service tonight.
Can you folks recommend an introduction of sorts for me? Books are a great start but I live in a very isolated area- 3 hours to the nearest mid-sized book store. Perhaps some web sites?

Can someone explain this Purgatory for me? And I read on another thread about the assumption of Mary, but if it is not in the Scriptures, how did such a detailed account come to be? When and who came up with it?

The Real Presence seems to be a very exciting thing. I will investigate it all further. thanks in advance!!!!
God bless you!!!

Reactions: Aaron-Aggie

Anthony

Generic Christian
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Praise the Lord, for you being a new Christian.

Remember one thing in your Christian Walk ..

1CO 4:6
Now, brothers, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not take pride in one man over against another.

Check everything a man tells you to scripture; so you do not take one man's doctrine over another.

Upvote 0

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
New Creation said:
Can someone explain this Purgatory for me?
In simple terms purgatory is a place for those destined for heaven to be cleansed and purified. For nothing impure can enter the presence of God in heaven.

Purgatory: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12575a.htm#III

New Creation said:
And I read on another thread about the assumption of Mary, but if it is not in the Scriptures, how did such a detailed account come to be? When and who came up with it?
It was passed down by the Early Church Fathers and parts of our Apostolic Tradition.
Although it is not in among the writings that the Church canonized into what is now known as the bible it does not conflict with any of these teachings. The key to remember is that while nothing can conflict the teachings laid down in the bible, the bible it self is only half of the teachings passed on to us by the Apostles.

The Assumption: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02006b.htm
Apostolic Tradition: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15006b.htm

New Creation said:
The Real Presence seems to be a very exciting thing. I will investigate it all further. thanks in advance!!!!
God bless you!!!

Yes the Real Presence of the Lord , his gift of his very own and very real blood and body at every mass, in fulfillment of the Passover sacrifice is a very very exciting thing 

The Real Presence: http://www.therealpresence.org/
http://www.therealpresence.com

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to Christian Forums New Creation!!

New Creation said:
Hi folks, I'm a new Christian, absolutely ravenous for the Lord, and newly fascinated with Catholicism. I know almost nothing about it but I have read a few of these threads and they are knocking my socks off.

Catholicism will do that. Once I started reading about it, it only took me a few months to say, "WOW, this is where I need to be."

New Creation said:
For the past few days I have given more than I once thought possible to the Lord and have prayed for some direction in my life. The Holy Spirit has been pointing me this way for some reason. I even almost went to a Catholic service tonight.
Can you folks recommend an introduction of sorts for me? Books are a great start but I live in a very isolated area- 3 hours to the nearest mid-sized book store. Perhaps some web sites?

I'll give you one link for now to read:

Pillar of Fire - Pillar of Truth

The above link contains an amazing little tract that I believe single handily brought me into the Catholic Church. PLEASE read it!

New Creation said:
Can someone explain this Purgatory for me?

NYJ posted this a few days ago:

Unabridged Condensed Catholic Theology on Heaven, Hell and Purgatory.

1. If you have unrepented mortal sin*, go straight to hell.
1a. If you are in hell, you stay in hell.

2. If you have unrepented venial sin (ie: not mortal)* staining your soul, go to purgatory.
2a. If you are in purgatory, the stains of sin will be washed from you**. Now go to heaven.

3. If you are clean of all the vestiges of sin, go right to heaven.
3a. If you are in heaven, you stay in heaven.

Purgatory is not a temporary hell, it is a cleansing process before entering into heaven. There are two eternal states. Heaven and Hell. If you are in one of those, you can expect to stay there. All those in purgatory are guaranteed heaven once they have been cleaned. It is a temporary state.

*1 John 5:16-17
**Revelations 21:27 - Nothing unclean may enter into Heaven.

Also, check out this link:

Explaining purgatory to Protestants-James Akin
http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/how2purg.htm

Here are two great quotes from the C. S. Lewis

"Of course I pray for the dead. The action is so spontaneous, so all but inevitable, that only the most compulsive theological case against it would deter me. And I hardly know how the rest of my prayers would survive if those for the dead were forbidden. At our age, the majority of those we love best are dead. What sort of intercourse with God could I have if what I love best were unmentionable to him?"

"I believe in Purgatory. . . . Our souls demand Purgatory, don't they? Would it not beak the heart if God said to us, 'It is true, my son, that your breath smells and your rags drip with mud and slime, but we are charitable here and no one will upbraid you with these things, nor draw away from you. Enter into the joy'? Should we not reply, "With submission, sir, and if there is no objection, I'd rather be cleansed first.' "It may hurt, you know'--"Even so, sir.'"

New Creation said:
And I read on another thread about the assumption of Mary, but if it is not in the Scriptures, how did such a detailed account come to be? When and who came up with it?

Immaculate Conception and Assumption

The Marian doctrines are, for Fundamentalists, among the most bothersome of the Catholic Church’s teachings. In this tract we’ll examine briefly two Marian doctrines that Fundamentalist writers frequently object to—the Immaculate Conception and the Assumption.

The Immaculate Conception

It’s important to understand what the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception is and what it is not. Some people think the term refers to Christ’s conception in Mary’s womb without the intervention of a human father; but that is the Virgin Birth. Others think the Immaculate Conception means Mary was conceived "by the power of the Holy Spirit," in the way Jesus was, but that, too, is incorrect. The Immaculate Conception means that Mary, whose conception was brought about the normal way, was conceived without original sin or its stain—that’s what "immaculate" means: without stain. The essence of original sin consists in the deprivation of sanctifying grace, and its stain is a corrupt nature. Mary was preserved from these defects by God’s grace; from the first instant of her existence she was in the state of sanctifying grace and was free from the corrupt nature original sin brings.

When discussing the Immaculate Conception, an implicit reference can be found in the angel’s greeting to Mary. The angel Gabriel said, "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "full of grace" is a translation of the Greek word kecharitomene. This word represents the proper name of the person being addressed by the angel, and it therefore expresses a characteristic quality of Mary.

The traditional translation, "full of grace," is more accurate than the one found in many recent versions of the New Testament, which give something along the lines of "highly favored daughter." Mary was indeed a highly favored daughter of God, but the Greek implies more than that (and it never mentions the word for "daughter"). The grace given to Mary is at once permanent and of a unique kind. Kecharitomene is a perfect passive participle of charitoo, meaning "to fill or endow with grace." Since this term is in the perfect tense, it indicates a perfection of grace that is both intensive and extensive. So, the grace Mary enjoyed was not a result of the angel’s visit, and was only as "full" or strong or complete as possible at any given time, but it extended over the whole of her life, from conception onward. She was in a state of sanctifying grace from the first moment of her existence to have been called "full of grace."

Fundamentalists’ Objections

Fundamentalists’ chief reason for objecting to the Immaculate Conception and Mary’s consequent sinlessness is that we are told that "all have sinned" (Rom. 3:23). Besides, they say, Mary said her "spirit rejoices in God my Savior" (Luke 1:47), and only a sinner needs a Savior.

Let’s take the second citation first. Mary, too, required a Savior. Like all other descendants of Adam, she was subject to the necessity of contracting original sin. But by a special intervention of God, undertaken at the instant she was conceived, she was preserved from the stain of original sin and its consequences. She was therefore redeemed by the grace of Christ, but in a special way—by anticipation.

Consider an analogy: Suppose a man falls into a deep pit, and someone reaches down to pull him out. The man has been "saved" from the pit. Now imagine a woman walking along, and she too is about to topple into the pit, but at the very moment that she is to fall in, someone holds her back and prevents her. She too has been saved from the pit, but in an even better way: She was not simply taken out of the pit, she was prevented from getting stained by the mud in the first place. This is the illustration Christians have used for a thousand years to explain how Mary was saved by Christ. By receiving Christ’s grace at her conception, she had his grace applied to her before she was able to become mired in original sin and its stain.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states that she was "redeemed in a more exalted fashion, by reason of the merits of her Son" (CCC 492). She has more reason to call God her Savior than we do, because he saved her in an even more glorious manner!

But what about Romans 3:23, "all have sinned"? Have all people committed actual sins? Consider a child below the age of reason. By definition he can’t sin, since sinning requires the ability to reason and the ability to intend to sin. This is indicated by Paul later in the letter to the Romans when he speaks of the time when Jacob and Esau were unborn babies as a time when they "had done nothing either good or bad" (Rom. 9:11).

We also know of another very prominent exception to the rule: Jesus (Heb. 4:15). So if Paul’s statement in Romans 3 includes an exception for the New Adam (Jesus), one may argue that an exception for the New Eve (Mary) can also be made.

Paul’s comment seems to have one of two meanings. It might be that it refers not to absolutely everyone, but just to the mass of mankind (which means young children and other special cases, like Jesus and Mary, would be excluded without having to be singled out). If not that, then it would mean that everyone, without exception, is subject to original sin, which is true for a young child, for the unborn, even for Mary—but she, though due to be subject to it, was preserved by God from it and its stain.

The objection is also raised that if Mary were without sin, she would be equal to God. In the beginning, God created Adam, Eve, and the angels without sin, but none were equal to God. Most of the angels never sinned, and all souls in heaven are without sin. This does not detract from the glory of God, but manifests it by the work he has done in sanctifying his creation. Sinning does not make one human. On the contrary, it is when man is without sin that he is most fully what God intends him to be.

The doctrine of the Immaculate Conception was officially defined by Pope Pius IX in 1854. When Fundamentalists claim that the doctrine was "invented" at this time, they misunderstand both the history of dogmas and what prompts the Church to issue, from time to time, definitive pronouncements regarding faith or morals. They are under the impression that no doctrine is believed until the pope or an ecumenical council issues a formal statement about it.

Actually, doctrines are defined formally only when there is a controversy that needs to be cleared up or when the magisterium (the Church in its office as teacher; cf. Matt. 28:18–20; 1 Tim. 3:15, 4:11) thinks the faithful can be helped by particular emphasis being drawn to some already-existing belief. The definition of the Immaculate Conception was prompted by the latter motive; it did not come about because there were widespread doubts about the doctrine. In fact, the Vatican was deluged with requests from people desiring the doctrine to be officially proclaimed. Pope Pius IX, who was highly devoted to the Blessed Virgin, hoped the definition would inspire others in their devotion to her.

The Assumption

The doctrine of the Assumption says that at the end of her life on earth Mary was assumed, body and soul, into heaven, just as Enoch, Elijah, and perhaps others had been before her. It’s also necessary to keep in mind what the Assumption is not. Some people think Catholics believe Mary "ascended" into heaven. That’s not correct. Christ, by his own power, ascended into heaven. Mary was assumed or taken up into heaven by God. She didn’t do it under her own power.

The Church has never formally defined whether she died or not, and the integrity of the doctrine of the Assumption would not be impaired if she did not in fact die, but the almost universal consensus is that she did die. Pope Pius XII, in Munificentissimus Deus (1950), defined that Mary, "after the completion of her earthly life" (note the silence regarding her death), "was assumed body and soul into the glory of heaven."

The possibility of a bodily assumption before the Second Coming is suggested by Matthew 27:52–53: "[T]he tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many." Did all these Old Testament saints die and have to be buried all over again? There is no record of that, but it is recorded by early Church writers that they were assumed into heaven, or at least into that temporary state of rest and happiness often called "paradise," where the righteous people from the Old Testament era waited until Christ’s resurrection (cf. Luke 16:22, 23:43; Heb. 11:1–40; 1 Pet. 4:6), after which they were brought into the eternal bliss of heaven.

No Remains

There is also what might be called the negative historical proof for Mary’s Assumption. It is easy to document that, from the first, Christians gave homage to saints, including many about whom we now know little or nothing. Cities vied for the title of the last resting place of the most famous saints. Rome, for example, houses the tombs of Peter and Paul, Peter’s tomb being under the high altar of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. In the early Christian centuries relics of saints were zealously guarded and highly prized. The bones of those martyred in the Coliseum, for instance, were quickly gathered up and preserved—there are many accounts of this in the biographies of those who gave their lives for the faith.

It is agreed upon that Mary ended her life in Jerusalem, or perhaps in Ephesus. However, neither those cities nor any other claimed her remains, though there are claims about possessing her (temporary) tomb. And why did no city claim the bones of Mary? Apparently because there weren’t any bones to claim, and people knew it. Here was Mary, certainly the most privileged of all the saints, certainly the most saintly, but we have no record of her bodily remains being venerated anywhere.

Complement to the Immaculate Conception

Over the centuries, the Fathers and the Doctors of the Church spoke often about the fittingness of the privilege of Mary’s Assumption. The speculative grounds considered include Mary’s freedom from sin, her Motherhood of God, her perpetual virginity, and—the key—her union with the salvific work of Christ.

The dogma is especially fitting when one examines the honor that was given to the ark of the covenant. It contained the manna (bread from heaven), stone tablets of the ten commandments (the word of God), and the staff of Aaron (a symbol of Israel’s high priesthood). Because of its contents, it was made of incorruptible wood, and Psalm 132:8 said, "Arise, O Lord, and go to thy resting place, thou and the ark of thy might." If this vessel was given such honor, how much more should Mary be kept from corruption, since she is the new ark—who carried the real bread from heaven, the Word of God, and the high priest of the New Covenant, Jesus Christ.

Some argue that the new ark is not Mary, but the body of Jesus. Even if this were the case, it is worth noting that 1 Chronicles 15:14 records that the persons who bore the ark were to be sanctified. There would be no sense in sanctifying men who carried a box, and not sanctifying the womb who carried God himself! After all, wisdom will not dwell "in a body under debt of sin" (Wis. 1:4 NAB).

But there is more than just fittingness. After all, if Mary is immaculately conceived, then it would follow that she would not suffer the corruption in the grave, which is a consequence of sin [Gen. 3:17, 19].

Mary’s Cooperation

Mary freely and actively cooperated in a unique way with God’s plan of salvation (Luke 1:38; Gal. 4:4). Like any mother, she was never separated from the suffering of her Son (Luke 2:35), and Scripture promises that those who share in the sufferings of Christ will share in his glory (Rom. 8:17). Since she suffered a unique interior martyrdom, it is appropriate that Jesus would honor her with a unique glory.

All Christians believe that that one day we will all be raised in a glorious form and then caught up and rendered immaculate to be with Jesus forever (1 Thess. 4:17; Rev. 21:27). As the first person to say "yes" to the good news of Jesus (Luke 1:38), Mary is in a sense the prototypical Christian, and received early the blessings we will all one day be given.

The Bible Only?

Since the Immaculate Conception and Assumption are not explicit in Scripture, Fundamentalists conclude that the doctrines are false. Here, of course, we get into an entirely separate matter, the question of sola scriptura, or the Protestant "Bible only" theory. There is no room in this tract to consider that idea. Let it just be said that if the position of the Catholic Church is true, then the notion of sola scriptura is false. There is then no problem with the Church officially defining a doctrine which is not explicitly in Scripture, so long as it is not in contradiction to Scripture.

The Catholic Church was commissioned by Christ to teach all nations and to teach them infallibly—guided, as he promised, by the Holy Spirit until the end of the world (John 14:26, 16:13). The mere fact that the Church teaches that something is definitely true is a guarantee that it is true (cf. Matt. 28:18-20, Luke 10:16, 1 Tim. 3:15).

www.catholic.com

New Creation said:
God bless you!!!

Here's another article for you from Catholic Answers:

Christ in the Eucharist

Protestant attacks on the Catholic Church often focus on the Eucharist. This demonstrates that opponents of the Church—mainly Evangelicals and Fundamentalists—recognize one of Catholicism’s core devotional doctrines. What’s more, the attacks show that Fundamentalists are not always literalists. This is seen in their interpretation of the key biblical passage, chapter six of John’s Gospel, in which Christ speaks about the sacrament that will be instituted at the Last Supper. This tract examines the last half of that chapter.

John 6:30 begins a colloquy that took place in the synagogue at Capernaum. The Jews asked Jesus what sign he could perform so that they might believe in him. As a challenge, they noted that "our ancestors ate manna in the desert." Could Jesus top that? He told them the real bread from heaven comes from the Father. "Give us this bread always," they said. Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst." At this point the Jews understood him to be speaking metaphorically.

Again and Again

Jesus first repeated what he said, then summarized: "‘I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.’ The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, ‘How can this man give us his flesh to eat?’" (John 6:51–52).

His listeners were stupefied because now they understood Jesus literally—and correctly. He again repeated his words, but with even greater emphasis, and introduced the statement about drinking his blood: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him" (John 6:53–56).

No Corrections

Notice that Jesus made no attempt to soften what he said, no attempt to correct "misunderstandings," for there were none. Our Lord’s listeners understood him perfectly well. They no longer thought he was speaking metaphorically. If they had, if they mistook what he said, why no correction?

On other occasions when there was confusion, Christ explained just what he meant (cf. Matt. 16:5–12). Here, where any misunderstanding would be fatal, there was no effort by Jesus to correct. Instead, he repeated himself for greater emphasis.

In John 6:60 we read: "Many of his disciples, when they heard it, said, ‘This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?’" These were his disciples, people used to his remarkable ways. He warned them not to think carnally, but spiritually: "It is the Spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life" (John 6:63; cf. 1 Cor. 2:12–14).

But he knew some did not believe. (It is here, in the rejection of the Eucharist, that Judas fell away; look at John 6:64.) "After this, many of his disciples drew back and no longer went about with him" (John 6:66).

This is the only record we have of any of Christ’s followers forsaking him for purely doctrinal reasons. If it had all been a misunderstanding, if they erred in taking a metaphor in a literal sense, why didn’t he call them back and straighten things out? Both the Jews, who were suspicious of him, and his disciples, who had accepted everything up to this point, would have remained with him had he said he was speaking only symbolically.

But he did not correct these protesters. Twelve times he said he was the bread that came down from heaven; four times he said they would have "to eat my flesh and drink my blood." John 6 was an extended promise of what would be instituted at the Last Supper—and it was a promise that could not be more explicit. Or so it would seem to a Catholic. But what do Fundamentalists say?

Merely Figurative?

They say that in John 6 Jesus was not talking about physical food and drink, but about spiritual food and drink. They quote John 6:35: "Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; he who comes to me shall not hunger, and he who believes in me shall never thirst.’" They claim that coming to him is bread, having faith in him is drink. Thus, eating his flesh and blood merely means believing in Christ.

But there is a problem with that interpretation. As Fr. John A. O’Brien explains, "The phrase ‘to eat the flesh and drink the blood,’ when used figuratively among the Jews, as among the Arabs of today, meant to inflict upon a person some serious injury, especially by calumny or by false accusation. To interpret the phrase figuratively then would be to make our Lord promise life everlasting to the culprit for slandering and hating him, which would reduce the whole passage to utter nonsense" (O’Brien, The Faith of Millions, 215). For an example of this use, see Micah 3:3.

Fundamentalist writers who comment on John 6 also assert that one can show Christ was speaking only metaphorically by comparing verses like John 10:9 ("I am the door") and John 15:1 ("I am the true vine"). The problem is that there is not a connection to John 6:35, "I am the bread of life." "I am the door" and "I am the vine" make sense as metaphors because Christ is like a door—we go to heaven through him—and he is also like a vine—we get our spiritual sap through him. But Christ takes John 6:35 far beyond symbolism by saying, "For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed" (John 6:55).

He continues: "As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me" (John 6:57). The Greek word used for "eats" (trogon) is very blunt and has the sense of "chewing" or "gnawing." This is not the language of metaphor.

Their Main Argument

For Fundamentalist writers, the scriptural argument is capped by an appeal to John 6:63: "It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh is of no avail; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life." They say this means that eating real flesh is a waste. But does this make sense?

Are we to understand that Christ had just commanded his disciples to eat his flesh, then said their doing so would be pointless? Is that what "the flesh is of no avail" means? "Eat my flesh, but you’ll find it’s a waste of time"—is that what he was saying? Hardly.

The fact is that Christ’s flesh avails much! If it were of no avail, then the Son of God incarnated for no reason, he died for no reason, and he rose from the dead for no reason. Christ’s flesh profits us more than anyone else’s in the world. If it profits us nothing, so that the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ are of no avail, then "your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished" (1 Cor. 15:17b–18).

In John 6:63 "flesh profits nothing" refers to mankind’s inclination to think using only what their natural human reason would tell them rather than what God would tell them. Thus in John 8:15–16 Jesus tells his opponents: "You judge according to the flesh, I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone that judge, but I and he who sent me." So natural human judgment, unaided by God’s grace, is unreliable; but God’s judgment is always true.

And were the disciples to understand the line "The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life" as nothing but a circumlocution (and a very clumsy one at that) for "symbolic"? No one can come up with such interpretations unless he first holds to the Fundamentalist position and thinks it necessary to find a rationale, no matter how forced, for evading the Catholic interpretation. In John 6:63 "flesh" does not refer to Christ’s own flesh—the context makes this clear—but to mankind’s inclination to think on a natural, human level. "The words I have spoken to you are spirit" does not mean "What I have just said is symbolic." The word "spirit" is never used that way in the Bible. The line means that what Christ has said will be understood only through faith; only by the power of the Spirit and the drawing of the Father (cf. John 6:37, 44–45, 65).

Paul Confirms This

Paul wrote to the Corinthians: "The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?" (1 Cor. 10:16). So when we receive Communion, we actually participate in the body and blood of Christ, not just eat symbols of them. Paul also said, "Therefore whoever eats the bread and drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord. . . . For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment on himself" (1 Cor. 11:27, 29). "To answer for the body and blood" of someone meant to be guilty of a crime as serious as homicide. How could eating mere bread and wine "unworthily" be so serious? Paul’s comment makes sense only if the bread and wine became the real body and blood of Christ.

What Did the First Christians Say?

Anti-Catholics also claim the early Church took this chapter symbolically. Is that so? Let’s see what some early Christians thought, keeping in mind that we can learn much about how Scripture should be interpreted by examining the writings of early Christians.

Ignatius of Antioch, who had been a disciple of the apostle John and who wrote a letter to the Smyrnaeans about A.D. 110, said, referring to "those who hold heterodox opinions," that "they abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in his goodness, raised up again" (6:2, 7:1).

Forty years later, Justin Martyr, wrote, "Not as common bread or common drink do we receive these; but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh is nourished, . . . is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus" (First Apology 66:1–20).

Origen, in a homily written about A.D. 244, attested to belief in the Real Presence. "I wish to admonish you with examples from your religion. You are accustomed to take part in the divine mysteries, so you know how, when you have received the Body of the Lord, you reverently exercise every care lest a particle of it fall and lest anything of the consecrated gift perish. You account yourselves guilty, and rightly do you so believe, if any of it be lost through negligence" (Homilies on Exodus 13:3).

Cyril of Jerusalem, in a catechetical lecture presented in the mid-300s, said, "Do not, therefore, regard the bread and wine as simply that, for they are, according to the Master’s declaration, the body and blood of Christ. Even though the senses suggest to you the other, let faith make you firm. Do not judge in this matter by taste, but be fully assured by faith, not doubting that you have been deemed worthy
of the body and blood of Christ" (Catechetical Discourses: Mystagogic 4:22:9).

In a fifth-century homily, Theodore of Mopsuestia seemed to be speaking to today’s Evangelicals and Fundamentalists: "When [Christ] gave the bread he did not say, ‘This is the symbol of my body,’ but, ‘This is my body.’ In the same way, when he gave the cup of his blood he did not say, ‘This is the symbol of my blood,’ but, ‘This is my blood,’ for he wanted us to look upon the [Eucharistic elements], after their reception of grace and the coming of the Holy Spirit, not according to their nature, but to receive them as they are, the body and blood of our Lord" (Catechetical Homilies 5:1).

Unanimous Testimony

Whatever else might be said, the early Church took John 6 literally. In fact, there is no record from the early centuries that implies Christians doubted the constant Catholic interpretation. There exists no document in which the literal interpretation is opposed and only the metaphorical accepted.

Why do Fundamentalists and Evangelicals reject the plain, literal interpretation of John 6? For them, Catholic sacraments are out because they imply a spiritual reality—grace—being conveyed by means of matter. This seems to them to be a violation of the divine plan. For many Protestants, matter is not to be used, but overcome or avoided.

One suspects, had they been asked by the Creator their opinion of how to bring about mankind’s salvation, Fundamentalists would have advised him to adopt a different approach. How much cleaner things would be if spirit never dirtied itself with matter! But God approves of matter—he approves of it because he created it—and he approves of it so much that he comes to us under the appearances of bread and wine, just as he does in the physical form of the Incarnate Christ.

Church Fathers and the Real Presence
http://www.catholic.com/library/Real_Presence.asp

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
New Creation said:
? And I read on another thread about the assumption of Mary, but if it is not in the Scriptures, how did such a detailed account come to be? When and who came up with it?

Everyone else did an extrememely thorough job of answering your questions, but I'd like to briefly comment on this one. The Assumption is not found in any of the NT scriptures most likely because Mary was still alive at the time they were being written. According to some legends Luke actually talked to Mary when he was writing his gospel and that is why he was able to include so much about the early life of Jesus (the Annunciation and Visitation, presentation of Our Lord in the Temple and finding of the boy Jesus in the temple and things like "Mary kept all these things and reflected on them in her heart," lends some support for this). No city claims to be the final resting place of the Blessed Virgin Mary. We know Peter and Paul were martyred in Rome, Thomas was martyred in India, and we have their relics. No altar in all of Christendom claims the relics of Mary. Since she was the ark of the new covenant (the old ark contained the ten commandments [word of God], manna from the desert and Aaron's staff. Mary had in her womb the "word made flesh", the "bread that came down from heaven", and the high priest of the new covenant") we believe that God wouldn't let decay touch her body. So he lovingly took her up to Heaven. At the end of time we will all have our own "assumption" when we're reunited with our earthly bodies. Mary's came much sooner.

God bless you!!!

It's the best part :)

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
I recommend the "Catholic Encyclopedia" at www.newadvent.org

Under the "E" is a list of articles on the Eucharist.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/e.htm

The Encyclopedia may be your best "introductory" site to many topics.

I wish you had gone to a Catholic Mass this weekend. The scripture from one of the Gospel accounts was John 6:51-58. One question for Jesus from the Jewish audience and He gave a long answer in which He repeated Himself.

Also comforting to me, is that the Gospel accounts of the Lord's Last Supper (Matthew, Mark, and Luke); and 1 Corinthians by Paul, all agree that Jesus said, "This is my body". How very simple this phrase is.

And check out the Book of Revelation 5:1-10. Read the description of the Lion of Judah.

And, finally, in regards to "the Lamb of God"...
In the Old Testament when the firstborn lamb was brought to the temple, the Jews had to do TWO things with the Lamb. 1) Kill it. 2) Eat it.

God bless you in your journey of discovery.

Upvote 0

KennySe

Habemus Papam!
Aug 6, 2003
Visit site
✟14,554.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi, New Creation.It's me again; two posts in a row. :wave:

Check the Catholic Church's near you if they have Daily Mass. (Usually in the morning Monday-Friday) You will not be crowded and can sit "alone" and "apart", which may make you feel more at ease than being "sandwiched in".

What I believe you will find at the Mass is: peace. The kind of comfortable peace that comes from the Lord Jesus Christ. Just as He offered His Peace when he entered that locked room where His apostles were hiding, so He will offer to you when you enter the Catholic Church.

At many Catholic Churches, near the main entrance is a foyer with free papers and such. See if there is any "newspaper" like "Our Sunday Visitor".

And though you didn't ask for this, I am giving you a link to read stories of folks who were Christians who then became Catholics. http://www.catholic-convert.com/Stories_Others.asp

And while you have use of that computer, you might consider printing some of the information you find on all these links, or save the links to take with you. You can access the internet at many public libraries, for example.

Peace be with you,
Kenny

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you all for your thoughtful and detailed replies. I will print them all.
Posted by KennySe:

I wish you had gone to a Catholic Mass this weekend. The scripture from one of the Gospel accounts was John 6:51-58. One question for Jesus from the Jewish audience and He gave a long answer in which He repeated Himself.

Well Kenny, wouldn't ya know it, that was the Gospel read at MY church this morning. Needless to say, my eyes bugged out of my head and my jaw hit the floor. It's so funny the way God keeps knocking me out. He knows just what buttons to push with me. sigh :bow:
As well, a good Christian friend gave me this book today: What Catholics Really Believe by Karl Keating

I'll keep you all posted on my journey. Merci beaucoup freres et soeurs!!!

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If your brave enough to send me your home address I have two books I would love to give you! I promise I won't send your any junk mail!

That book by Karl Keating is great! The man is a genius!!!

If you have any other questions about ANY Catholic doctrine or belief please POST them here or you can even PM me. EVERY one is backed up by Sacred Scripture!!

"In comparison with the love of Jesus, everything else is secondary. And without the love of Jesus, everything else is useless." - Pope John Paul II

Upvote 0

Preachers12

Unworthy
Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
✟1,211.00
Faith
Catholic
New Creation, Peace be with you.

Strap in and hold on tight! The truth of Catholicism is irresistable and will draw you much closer to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I can't add anything to the reading list already posted, except Scott Hahn's "The Lamb's Supper."

But go to a Mass. You won't stand out. Nobody will harrass you. Don't be embarassed about not going up to receive Communion... there will be others who will not go up either. Listen to the liturgies. That is where the beauty and the truth is (outside of the Eucharist, of course). If you read Hahn's book along with attending a few Masses (we have them every day - sometimes multiple times a day), you will really begin to appreciate the Mass.

Together with my fellow brethren, I welcome you and am more than happy to try to answer any questions you might have.

God Bless,
P12

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I do have a question. I was reading the Karl Keating book last night and he says that a sacramental marriage requires a lifelong commitment and an openess to children. pg 62 "with a refusal to have children, the marriage is invalid from the start, even if the intention is kept secret..."

Is this backed up by Scriptures, this children thing? Or is this part of the Apostolic tradition? Any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks folks!

Also, these classes that I am reading about everywhere, are they available at any Catholic church? What exactly are they?

A friend told me to take it easy yesterday when I told her about this interest in Catholicism. She said "God might be leading you this way just to study it." And all I can say is the feeling I got in my heart after she said that was heavy.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
New Creation said:
I do have a question. I was reading the Karl Keating book last night and he says that a sacramental marriage requires a lifelong commitment and an openess to children. pg 62 "with a refusal to have children, the marriage is invalid from the start, even if the intention is kept secret..."

Is this backed up by Scriptures, this children thing? Or is this part of the Apostolic tradition? Any clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks folks!

Genesis 1:22

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aaron-Aggie

Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
New Creation said:
Also, these classes that I am reading about everywhere, are they available at any Catholic church? What exactly are they?

Yes every catholic church should have a Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults or RCIA program.

The goal of RCIA program is to prepare you to enter the Church

Here's a description of the process: http://members.aol.com/tombecket/ts_rcia.htm

The form that this program will take depends on the community.

Upvote 0

edward

Momma's Boy
Jan 30, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟748.00
Faith
Catholic
Father Corapi and The Catechism of the Catholic Church series has just begun again. I've seen some of the hour long series but missed a lot during the last run. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing all that I missed before. Father Corapi will have you glued to your TV. He is one powerful teacher. You can watch the series Sunday nights on EWTN. (maybe other times during the week too, I'm not sure)

Edward

Upvote 0

JeffreyLloyd

Ave Maria, Gratia plena!
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟75,991.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
New Creation said:

Is this backed up by Scriptures, this children thing? Or is this part of the Apostolic tradition?...

NYJ was right, the verse is Genesis 1:22

New Creation said:
Also, these classes that I am reading about everywhere, are they available at any Catholic church? What exactly are they?[/QUOTE

They are RCIA classes it is what you take to become Catholic. You can enroll in the class (for free) and at a certin point you make up your mind to continue and become Catholic or leave. Call your local parish and ask for info about it and they'll hook you up.

New Creation said:
A friend told me to take it easy yesterday when I told her about this interest in Catholicism. She said "God might be leading you this way just to study it." And all I can say is the feeling I got in my heart after she said that was heavy.

As a Catholic, I believe the Holy Spirit is tugging at your heart. All I pray is that you listen. I'm sending those books to ya tomorrow so heads up!

YBIC.
Jeff

Keep the questions coming!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.