Help a new Presbyterian!!!

What should I do about my icon (read story first)?

• Keep it Protestant

• Switch to Presbyterian

• Switch to Calvinist

Results are only viewable after voting.

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, so you know, after wandering in an Arminian sea my whole life, I have finally done the unthinkable: I joined a Calvinist denomination, the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America).

You will be happy to know that we are now one of "those" people. You see, while my wife was out marketing last week, she happened to run across a PK (preacher's kid) of a PCUSA church in my town, actually right next door to my own church and she happened to note, when finding out that we were soon to be PCA that we were "one of those people." Whatever that means. Sheesh!, you would think that there was some horrible split in the PCUSA which resulted in the PCA or something.

Too bad I wasn't there. I might have said something like, "Yep, we're officially now 6-pointers because we fully believe in burning liberal Presbyterians." Then, again, perhaps it was better that I wasn't there.;)

Sadly, for those of you wagering on whether or not I would find that funny hat, shepherd's staff, & cloak to join as the Pope, I just couldn't get it done. The threat from my wife actually sealed the deal and I have to grudginly admit that my brother-in-law, who gave 5-1 odds against me in favor of his sister, was right. So call me a wus! At least I'll be able to sleep in peace tonight.

But, enough rambling. My need is this: I have a simple Protestant icon, something which seemed appropriate since I was never an official Baptist. They wouldn't have me as I was baptized as an infant and they simply refused to acknowledge it as a valid baptism. I have wandered quite a bit in the non-denominational church. But, considering that they rarely seem to protest anything other than people convinced that there is only 1 truth, I decided that the Protestant icon was better than the non-denom one.

Today, I became a Presbyterian. So, it does seem as if a change in icon is appropriate. Should I....
  1. Keep it Protestant.
  2. Switch to Presbyterian
  3. Switch to Calvinist
You decide!

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Defcon said:
I voted switch to Calvinist since (as you stated) there is apparently quite a big difference between PCA and PCUSA. The Calvinist icon leaves little room for doubt about your theological views to fellow posters, in my humble opinion....;)

Thank you. I was wondering about the Presbyterian icon. Is it for all Presbyterians or only "those" Presbyterians. Or perhaps, for PCUSA Presbyterians.

You know, I'm new to this Presbyterian thing and actually had to restrain myself from dancing in my pew place on my first Sunday. Wouldn't want to scare the natives.

BTW, I was never really a fan of the movie where you got your Avatar. Depp reminded me too much of a Pirate in drag.

Upvote 0

Rolf Ernst

Apr 13, 2004
✟1,350.00
Faith
Calvinist
CCWoody--congratulations on your growth in doctrine! I recommended Calvinist because
there are some preysbyterian churches that are quite liberal, some of them not being Calvinistic. Choosing to represent yourself as a Calvinist avoids any confusion on that most important matter. Later, if need be, you could enlarge on that by saying whether you are Reformed Baptist, Reformed Presbyterian, or whatever.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rolf Ernst said:
CCWoody--congratulations on your growth in doctrine! I recommended Calvinist because

Actually I went from thinking like a child to thinking like a mature Christian the day I woke up after I was violently run from the highway on that late hot August day in 1999. You see, I could either acknowledge that God knew what was going to happen to me, but couldn't help me because of his respect for man's "free will" (Hey, all I needed was a seconds difference one way or the other and causing a traffic light to delay 1 second wouldn't have violated anyone's will) or I could confess that what happened to me ultimately came from the hand of God. "Shall we receive good at the hand of God and not receive evil." (Job)

That day, I began my odyssey to learn who this Person really was that I claimed to follow. I would later learn that what I discovered to be the gospel that I had never heard preached from the pulpit had a quirky name: "Calvinism."

Rolf Ernst said:
there are some preysbyterian churches that are quite liberal, some of them not being Calvinistic. Choosing to represent yourself as a Calvinist avoids any confusion on that most important matter. Later, if need be, you could enlarge on that by saying whether you are Reformed Baptist, Reformed Presbyterian, or whatever.

Yeah, but how to change my signature....

Concealed
Carry
Woody

Cordial
Calvinist
Woody

Charismatic
Calvinist
Woody.

I just can't find any way to say Reformed Presbyterian Woody. I think that RPW is already taken.

Thanks for voting.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well, seeing you call yourself 'Cordial Calvinist,' i think that's enough exalting of a mere man for one member. the Bible tells us not to say 'I am of Paul, I am of Peter, &c.' (or, "I am of Calvin, and I of Luther, and I of Arminius" but to say, I am of Christ. therefore, i'm going to vote for Presbyterian, although i personally think you should just have the 'Christian' icon.
please, don't take me too seriously.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Woody , glad to see you and this thread .......... I liked the bit about being forced off the road and the one second difference on the Traffic Lights , yes!

I voted Calvinist ......... I just think Calvinism is so much bigger than a denomination , it is a whole new way of looking at adversity and life.
It is a powerful 'worldview' , no , make that , Heaven View :thumbsup:

I think it helps us to know that God is on the throne whether man says yes or not ........ Our God Reigns!

Glad to see you haven't rejected all Pentecostalism , God does still intervene and heal today. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 10, 2005
SE
✟24,268.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the PCA, Mr and Mrs. CCWoody! I voted for Calvinist, for the purposes of the forum. To me, it is a more accurate definition. However, I have noticed that on forums if it is known that you are a Calvinist, a certain amount of harassment goes on....so you COULD say Presbyterian and be more stealth....:D

CC&E

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
calmcoolandelected said:
Welcome to the PCA, Mr and Mrs. CCWoody! I voted for Calvinist, for the purposes of the forum. To me, it is a more accurate definition. However, I have noticed that on forums if it is known that you are a Calvinist, a certain amount of harassment goes on....so you COULD say Presbyterian and be more stealth....:D

CC&E

Yeah, my Presbyterian sister, and for sure with my signature, I'll be deep under cover with that Presbyterian icon.:D

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
drstevej said:
I think Calvinist is a shoe that certainly fits ya.

Thanks, brother. I hope things are well with you. We know you are busy in your neck of the woods, but that doesn't mean we don't miss you at home base.

BTW, bummer about them Astros.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
cygnusx1 said:
I liked the bit about being forced off the road and the one second difference on the Traffic Lights , yes!

Well, you do have lots to think about when the ER docs think that you are not suppose to be alive, much less without a scratch on the outside of your body. High speed motorcycle accidents don't usually work out the way they did for me.

cygnusx1 said:
Glad to see you haven't rejected all Pentecostalism , God does still intervene and heal today. :amen:

One of these days I might want to jump a pew or two just to keep the Presbyterians on their toes. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
michael servetus said:
Calvinist.

I like to know who they are.

Yeah, I know. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.;)

michael servetus said:
(I suppose you aren't open to the Unitarian Church?)

Will they let me "flick my bic" and carry some wood? You know, I gotta be me.

BTW, brother, you are missed. We'd like you back. I've thought about calling a time or two, but if you remember my circumstances, we have been working like nuts to keep our heads above water. I'm spending most of my time on the road these days and it keeps me occupied quite often.

Upvote 0

Augustine_Was_Calvinist

Mar 16, 2004
✟6,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
CCWoody said:
Ok, so you know, after wandering in an Arminian sea my whole life, I have finally done the unthinkable: I joined a Calvinist denomination, the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America).

You will be happy to know that we are now one of "those" people. You see, while my wife was out marketing last week, she happened to run across a PK (preacher's kid) of a PCUSA church in my town, actually right next door to my own church and she happened to note, when finding out that we were soon to be PCA that we were "one of those people." Whatever that means. Sheesh!, you would think that there was some horrible split in the PCUSA which resulted in the PCA or something.

Too bad I wasn't there. I might have said something like, "Yep, we're officially now 6-pointers because we fully believe in burning liberal Presbyterians." Then, again, perhaps it was better that I wasn't there.;)

Sadly, for those of you wagering on whether or not I would find that funny hat, shepherd's staff, & cloak to join as the Pope, I just couldn't get it done. The threat from my wife actually sealed the deal and I have to grudginly admit that my brother-in-law, who gave 5-1 odds against me in favor of his sister, was right. So call me a wus! At least I'll be able to sleep in peace tonight.

But, enough rambling. My need is this: I have a simple Protestant icon, something which seemed appropriate since I was never an official Baptist. They wouldn't have me as I was baptized as an infant and they simply refused to acknowledge it as a valid baptism. I have wandered quite a bit in the non-denominational church. But, considering that they rarely seem to protest anything other than people convinced that there is only 1 truth, I decided that the Protestant icon was better than the non-denom one.

Today, I became a Presbyterian. So, it does seem as if a change in icon is appropriate. Should I....
  1. Keep it Protestant.
  2. Switch to Presbyterian
  3. Switch to Calvinist
You decide!

I vote for all three.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Augustine_Was_Calvinist

Mar 16, 2004
✟6,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
michael servetus said:
Calvinist.

I like to know who they are.

(I suppose you aren't open to the Unitarian Church?)

CAn't speak for Woody, but I certainly am not open to the Unitarian Church, or any other heretical groups.

Haven't you heard, we are introducing a bill in Congress to legalize burning heretics at the stake.:D :D ;)

Upvote 0