✟15,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
Good morning,

I am pleased to be a member here; I confess I have been a member in the past, however, since my last membership which is now abandoned, I have recently had a change in views.

In short, I have achieved my Ph.D. in Religious Science (this is the deep study of world religions and cults). My studies lead me down a path in what I believe and question the logical viewpoints behind religious followings. Since then, my religious viewpoint has changed from Non-Denominational to Freethinker - this does not mean I fully reject the concept of religion, but I cannot define myself as a Christian anymore.

I look forward to having conversations with you (obviously not in the Christian only sections) and discuss dogma etc. I am very openminded and never reject any new perspective.

I enjoy reading, writing, online discussion boards, movies video games etc. I am a lover of coffee - I think it's fair to say coffee is my gasoline. :oldthumbsup:

Yours,
Dr JB

DR_JB

Dec 31, 2018
Chesterfield
✟15,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
Welcome. Having a warm cup right now. Perhaps some day you you might consider that Christianity in a true form is not actually a religion, in some definitions that is.
I am too! I confess I am still in bed having mine - it's 09:12 here, however, it's my birthday so I have an excuse.

That is an interesting viewpoint - many do say that it is a way of life opposed to a religious movement.

Reactions: Stone-n-Steel
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good morning,

I am pleased to be a member here; I confess I have been a member in the past, however, since my last membership which is now abandoned, I have recently had a change in views.

In short, I have achieved my Ph.D. in Religious Science (this is the deep study of world religions and cults). My studies lead me down a path in what I believe and question the logical viewpoints behind religious followings. Since then, my religious viewpoint has changed from Non-Denominational to Freethinker - this does not mean I fully reject the concept of religion, but I cannot define myself as a Christian anymore.

I look forward to having conversations with you (obviously not in the Christian only sections) and discuss dogma etc. I am very openminded and never reject any new perspective.

I enjoy reading, writing, online discussion boards, movies video games etc. I am a lover of coffee - I think it's fair to say coffee is my gasoline. :oldthumbsup:

Yours,
Dr JB
Welcome to CF again! .. I hope you will enjoy many quality, constructive conversations! :wave:

Just, as you said that you identify as a "Freethinker" rather than a Christian, I rather would show that Christianity in the proper, is in fact freethinking - and the scriptures were written by great freethinking minds! (But there are many who are "ignorant" and "unstable", who lured by desires and taken captive by false perspectives, "twist" the scriptures to misrepresent them). Jesus said that knowing the truth would set us free, and that only a few would find the narrow road, that is the way of truth, that leads to life.

What I mean to say is that most Christians don't have the truth, they are instead taken captive by a belief, to follow false perspectives and it blinds them to the truth of what the scriptures really say. Then they begin speaking hypocrisy and circular reasoning, evading the truth that convicts them of their error. But that isn't the way that belongs to Jesus and His followers.

Food for thought!

• Friendly
Reactions: DR_JB
Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am too! I confess I am still in bed having mine - it's 09:12 here, however, it's my birthday so I have an excuse.

That is an interesting viewpoint - many do say that it is a way of life opposed to a religious movement.

Yes it is and Happy Birthday!

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DR_JB

Dec 31, 2018
Chesterfield
✟15,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to CF again! .. I hope you will enjoy many quality, constructive conversations! :wave:

Just, as you said that you identify as a "Freethinker" rather than a Christian, I rather would show that Christianity in the proper, is in fact freethinking - and the scriptures were written by great freethinking minds! (But there are many who are "ignorant" and "unstable", who lured by desires and taken captive by false perspectives, "twist" the scriptures to misrepresent them). Jesus said that knowing the truth would set us free, and that only a few would find the narrow road, that is the way of truth, that leads to life.

What I mean to say is that most Christians don't have the truth, they are instead taken captive by a belief, to follow false perspectives and it blinds them to the truth of what the scriptures really say. Then they begin speaking hypocrisy and circular reasoning, evading the truth that convicts them of their error. But that isn't the way that belongs to Jesus and His followers.

Food for thought!
Thank you.

That's interesting, however, I can tell you that as a Christian, I was very open to new avenues and ways of thinking; I have reached a point in my life whereas I no longer feel compelled to accept Jesus as my saviour - with that being said, I still think many lessons can be learned from Jesus.
Scripture is twisted and manipulated by some who claim to be followers, however, I think this is in a small percentage who wish to use Christianity to force their views onto others.

I am an advocate for people to follow and engage with religions - I find Christianity fascinating; whilst I no longer follow the religion or lifestyle, I do still enjoy reading the Bible and watching TV programmes about it.

Upvote 0

DR_JB

Dec 31, 2018
Chesterfield
✟15,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Private
Welcome to yet another from the UK :wave:

How's the weather in your part of the Country DR_JB ?

Hope you enjoy being here with us again
It is fairly mild, no snow or anything remotely wintery - I can't complain.

I have always enjoyed my time here; there is a great mix of people with thought-provoking ideas - I respect that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Welcome to CF and I find this very interesting so I will be honest, You are now in my radar and I will be praying for ways for Christ to be revealed to you ;)
Happy Birthday friend :wave:

Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟125,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you - I'm liking the username. :oldthumbsup:

Thank you. I actually ‘borrowed it’ from ‘O Church Arise’ - ‘Come, see the cross, where love and mercy meet’. Reminds me daily that everything I have, and everything I will receive is due to a combination of God’s love and his mercy. If I ever write an autobiography, that’s the title right there :)

• Informative
Upvote 0

EagleScout88

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2016
Sacramento, CA
✟60,098.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Dr. JB,

I am a lover of coffee as well. My wife has just started using a French press and it makes me so happy! We also have reading, writing, and movies in common. Interestingly, our paths have been quite different. I started out in college as a free thinker, being completely absorbed in modern philosophy and psychology. Believing in moral relativism as an absolute and having a hunger for more knowledge. The more I learned, however, the more I began to see that this universe and everything in it could not possibly be established by anything other than an intelligent designer. As I learned about anatomy and physiology, genetics and cell biology, it all made sense for me. This brought me back to the faith of my childhood, back to the foot of the cross.

Could you tell me, what brought you to the conclusions that you came to? Am I correct to understand that you accepted Christianity at some point? Have you found something in your studies / research that moved your beliefs?

Thank you for your time and thank you for posting!

Best,
Kevin

Upvote 0