aaguilar3

Apr 14, 2015
✟15,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello Ladies and Gentleman! Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. Not sure if this is the right area. I aplogize if it is not and if you could direct me to the right area. My name is Antonio and I accepted Christ at the beginning of this year. I have had quite a journey since I began walking with Christ. He has changed me in a way I never thought possible. I was a dead man and now I live in him and him in I. :amen:

Just wanted to give some background also, I grew up and in a Roman Catholic upbringing. My family is still very very much involved in the RCC and I respect them. The same could not be said for them respecting my decision to not be in the RCC. If anyone is in the same boat I would love to receive a message from you on how you have kept things going smoothly between your friends or family who don't respect your decision not to be in the RCC.

I do have one quick question that i've been pondering lately. What is the bibles view on being baptized again. I was baptized as an infant in the RCC. From what I've read/researched, I don't find any evidence of infant baptisms in the bible. Any advice on this one. I'm leaning towards considering submersion baptism.

joshuanazar

Servant
Mar 29, 2015
In Christ
✟8,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Ladies and Gentleman! Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. Not sure if this is the right area. I aplogize if it is not and if you could direct me to the right area. My name is Antonio and I accepted Christ at the beginning of this year. I have had quite a journey since I began walking with Christ. He has changed me in a way I never thought possible. I was a dead man and now I live in him and him in I. :amen:

Just wanted to give some background also, I grew up and in a Roman Catholic upbringing. My family is still very very much involved in the RCC and I respect them. The same could not be said for them respecting my decision to not be in the RCC. If anyone is in the same boat I would love to receive a message from you on how you have kept things going smoothly between your friends or family who don't respect your decision not to be in the RCC.

I do have one quick question that i've been pondering lately. What is the bibles view on being baptized again. I was baptized as an infant in the RCC. From what I've read/researched, I don't find any evidence of infant baptisms in the bible. Any advice on this one. I'm leaning towards considering submersion baptism.
Baptism, like salvation, is a personal choice. So infants and most children are not capable making that choice. That being said Baptism is not necessary for salvation. You are saved without water baptism. Water baptism is like a wedding ring, the ring doesn't make you married but declares to the world that you are already married. So water baptism is just showing something that has already happened. And that is being baptized into the body of Christ, into his death and into his resurrection. If you want to get baptized again, then that is amazing. But remember it is not necessary in order to have a relationship with God. The water baptism of the scripture was a complete submersion signifying a complete submersion into Christ.

And congrats on the rebirth.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The concept of baptism is an interesting one, which I feel there are often misconceptions about. For example, true baptism is just about immersing ourselves in God's spirit, and being 'covered' by the spirit of Christ. People traditionally use water symbolically in that process as a visible sign of that inward process.

But it's important to remember that Jesus Himself never baptized anyone. (John 4:2) And the Apostle Paul also realized at some point in his ministry that he was not sent to baptize people with water, but rather to preach the gospel. (1 Corinthians 1:7)

Another observation comes from the Great Commission. We are told to go into all the world and make disciples, 'baptizing' (or covering) them in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit. (Matthew 28:19) The way the passage is worded suggests that the baptism is something which happens as a result of making disciples. Our job is just to make disciples, and preach the gospel; people are baptized spiritually when they receive the gospel.

Anyway, just some thoughts for consideration.

Upvote 0

aaguilar3

Apr 14, 2015
✟15,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Got it! Thanks for the clear response! :)

Baptism, like salvation, is a personal choice. So infants and most children are not capable making that choice. That being said Baptism is not necessary for salvation. You are saved without water baptism. Water baptism is like a wedding ring, the ring doesn't make you married but declares to the world that you are already married. So water baptism is just showing something that has already happened. And that is being baptized into the body of Christ, into his death and into his resurrection. If you want to get baptized again, then that is amazing. But remember it is not necessary in order to have a relationship with God. The water baptism of the scripture was a complete submersion signifying a complete submersion into Christ.

And congrats on the rebirth.

Upvote 0

aaguilar3

Apr 14, 2015
✟15,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is interesting for sure since there are many who believe it is necessary for salvation and some who think it is just an outward sign. John 3 says: 22 After this, Jesus and his disciples went out into the Judean countryside, where he spent some time with them, and baptized. 23 Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized. 24 (This was before John was put in prison.) 25 An argument developed between some of John’s disciples and a certain Jew over the matter of ceremonial washing. 26 They came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, that man who was with you on the other side of the Jordan—the one you testified about—look, he is baptizing, and everyone is going to him.” But then like you say it is clarified in John 4:2 that it wasn't him. I love hearing people talk about subjects like this and hearing all the facts and being able to verify it in scripture. :amen:

The concept of baptism is an interesting one, which I feel there are often misconceptions about. For example, true baptism is just about immersing ourselves in God's spirit, and being 'covered' by the spirit of Christ. People traditionally use water symbolically in that process as a visible sign of that inward process.

But it's important to remember that Jesus Himself never baptized anyone. (John 4:2) And the Apostle Paul also realized at some point in his ministry that he was not sent to baptize people with water, but rather to preach the gospel. (1 Corinthians 1:7)

Another observation comes from the Great Commission. We are told to go into all the world and make disciples, 'baptizing' (or covering) them in the name of the Father, Son, and Spirit. (Matthew 28:19) The way the passage is worded suggests that the baptism is something which happens as a result of making disciples. Our job is just to make disciples, and preach the gospel; people are baptized spiritually when they receive the gospel.

Anyway, just some thoughts for consideration.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi aaguilar,

Welcome and praise God that He has been so merciful to all of us. On the issue of baptism, I'm also in agreement that there are no Scriptural evidences of baptism until after confession of belief. Based on that alone, I don't believe that an infant's baptism is of much value in the kingdom of God.

God bless you and I am sorry for the struggle you face with your family. Tha's a common problem in many families. Some believers have to deal with families that have not faith in God at all, and some believers have to deal with families whose idea of such faith is a bit skewed. I would encourage you to read Jesus' warning to us as regards the expected familial relationship once we come to faith.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aaguilar3

Apr 14, 2015
✟15,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for confirming what I too believe. We must first believe and repent before being baptized. I've made a decision to seek submersion baptism in my local church. Thanks to you and everyone for their input.

It is tough. I'm not sure if you are referring to the passage that speaks about brother rising against brother. I haven't memorized many passages but if someone brings it up I can definitely remember the details and message. I searched and found this one which is what I thought you might be talking about: They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." Luke 12:53

I just ask that everyone please pray for my family. Pray that they see the true gospel and grace is given freely to those who seek it from our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hi aaguilar,

Welcome and praise God that He has been so merciful to all of us. On the issue of baptism, I'm also in agreement that there are no Scriptural evidences of baptism until after confession of belief. Based on that alone, I don't believe that an infant's baptism is of much value in the kingdom of God.

God bless you and I am sorry for the struggle you face with your family. Tha's a common problem in many families. Some believers have to deal with families that have not faith in God at all, and some believers have to deal with families whose idea of such faith is a bit skewed. I would encourage you to read Jesus' warning to us as regards the expected familial relationship once we come to faith.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums