Hello everyone. My wife has Alzheimer's.

sprucebruce

Cutting edge caregiver
Feb 9, 2012
Port Orange FL and Grove City, OH
✟16,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am my wife's primary caregiver. I'm with her 24/7 and do a good job of caring for her.
I cook, clean, do laundry and help her dress, shower and just about everything for her.

Recently, I've decided to reach out on social media and find someone with whom I could have meaningful adult conversations, get out of the house once in a while and, since my own marriage is like taking care of a small child than being a husband, some intimacy.

I met a wonderful woman who fulfills all the above and even helps care for my wife.
I've told a few of my friends and our kids, who readily accepted her.
A few church people asked "What about your marriage vows"? I really don't know what to say.

Is it that horrible to try to take care of myself while caring for a woman I still love dearly but who, sometimes, doesn't even know my name?
Caregivers often die of a broken heart and extreme stress before the patient does. I do not want to be the second victim of this horrible disease but I always want to do what is right for my wife, first, myself and my friend who, I feel, would make a wonderful wife down the road.

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome to CF!

You are in a tough situation but it would be best to wait for your spouse to pass and then look to a new relationship.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟483,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it that horrible to try to take care of myself while caring for a woman I still love dearly but who, sometimes, doesn't even know my name?

Welcome to CF!

I can't begin to answer your question.

My mother had Alzheimer's and in her last months I was a complete stranger to her. Every time I visited she was meeting me for the first time. I praise God you are able to take care of your wife in a loving way. What you do beyond that is between you and God. Blessings!

Upvote 0

sprucebruce

Cutting edge caregiver
Feb 9, 2012
Port Orange FL and Grove City, OH
✟16,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Exodus 20:14

You must wait until your current wife passes before marrying another woman.

What? Of course I'm not going to marry as long as my beloved wife is alive! Not only would I ever consider that but, I'm sure you've heard that bigamy is illegal.
Perhaps you might want to read my post again.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am my wife's primary caregiver. I'm with her 24/7 and do a good job of caring for her.
I cook, clean, do laundry and help her dress, shower and just about everything for her.

Recently, I've decided to reach out on social media and find someone with whom I could have meaningful adult conversations, get out of the house once in a while and, since my own marriage is like taking care of a small child than being a husband, some intimacy.

I met a wonderful woman who fulfills all the above and even helps care for my wife.
A few church people asked "What about your marriage vows"? I really don't know what to say.

Caregivers often die of a broken heart and extreme stress before the patient does. I do not want to be the second victim of this horrible disease but I always want to do what is right for my wife, first, myself and my friend who, I feel, would make a wonderful wife down the road.
I am sorry and I hope you find strength from using this site. Welcome

Upvote 0

Kosher Salt

Dec 2, 2018
Taylorsville
✟9,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hey,, WELCOME, Im new here,, I too am in the caring for the wife situation. Not yet to the point you are.
yet still I see my own needs being ignored.
I totally get it.
I stumbled accross a thing one day.
I said, God, I need a break. The next day,, The sky and my schedule were clear........
No, I know its not a bowl of cherries, or ice cream, I know.
I have a big shoulder and I feel for you, and her.
You have a good wife, God gave her to you, now you are balanced, when you see the load on your other shoulder, you will understand.
Some day, I hope you and I can talk AIRPLANES

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ObjectiveTruth

Nov 25, 2018
Mississippi
✟15,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Rationalist
Marital Status
Single

Adultery is still a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Standing in prayer here friend, I am sorry to hear this of your dear wife and this must be so painful.
I imagine you will receive a lot of opinions here, However God and your heart should lead you.
I respect your decision to take care of your precious wife during this and pray that God gives you much strength and joy in your heart.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Mario David

In GOD I trust
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2018
miami
✟52,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome!

I am sorry about your wife, value the little times when she does know who you are. As to what you are seeking with another women is wrong. Sometimes to your wife you might be a stranger but to you she a stranger is not.

Upvote 0

Plant Man

Jun 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
✟8,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

It’s over two years since you posted this. Where are you now? You could be describing me! I’ve been caring for my wife at home since her diagnosis at 50yrs old, 7years ago. We were HS sweethearts raised 3 children and love one another still. She hasn’t been able to speak, dress, feed or toileting for three years. Any people on this form who equally compare having an aunt or grandparent with Alz to spouses caring for Early On Set patients have no clue.
People would ask me how my wife is and up until a month ago I’d say “living the vows”. Last week I asked a loyal friend of hers if she would consent to pursuing a relationship with me. Ephraim Cutler said it best, It eloquently described how I am feeling, “It is with great difficulty I presume to address you on a subject which to me is of the highest importance…. I am at this time destitute of that solace of the heart a female friend to whom I can disclose my cares or who can alleviate my sorrows, assuage my grief or share my joys. The author of our natures has given your sex the most unlimited facilities and powers in all those respects and has said that it is not good for a man to be alone. I am not insensible of the hard terms which I have to offer you and in consequence a total rejection of my suit is what I have a right to expect…. I have nothing to give as a compensation for this but my love and respect, but I find the impetuosity of my passion has carried me too far. I wll then only ask the favor to address you and cultivate an acquaintance. As I am very anxious to know my fate I must ask the favor that you will condescend so much as to convey to me your sentiment in such a way as you may think proper.”
After much being discussion and lots of ground rules we will be entering this relationship. It is agreed My wife will come first for both of us. Loyalty as a friend and spouse. I’m well aware many will condemn me as a sinner, adulterer! My vows to my wife are not being abandoned but there is someone invited in to my world to potentially love me support me and that has been absent for so long. Sinner saved by Grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Plant Man

Jun 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
✟8,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

It’s over two years since you posted this. You could be describing me! I’ve been caring for my wife at home since her diagnosis at 50yrs old, 7years ago. We were HS sweethearts raised 3 children and love one another still. Any people on this form who equally compare having an aunt or grandparent with Alz to spouses caring for Early On Set patients have no clue. People would ask me how my wife is and up until a month ago I said “living the vows”. Last week I asked a loyal friend of hers if she would consent to pursuing a relationship with me. Ephraim Cutler said it best “

Upvote 0

Joined2krist

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It’s over two years since you posted this. Where are you now? You could be describing me! I’ve been caring for my wife at home since her diagnosis at 50yrs old, 7years ago. We were HS sweethearts raised 3 children and love one another still. She hasn’t been able to speak, dress, feed or toileting for three years. Any people on this form who equally compare having an aunt or grandparent with Alz to spouses caring for Early On Set patients have no clue.
People would ask me how my wife is and up until a month ago I’d say “living the vows”. Last week I asked a loyal friend of hers if she would consent to pursuing a relationship with me. Ephraim Cutler said it best, It eloquently described how I am feeling, “It is with great difficulty I presume to address you on a subject which to me is of the highest importance…. I am at this time destitute of that solace of the heart a female friend to whom I can disclose my cares or who can alleviate my sorrows, assuage my grief or share my joys. The author of our natures has given your sex the most unlimited facilities and powers in all those respects and has said that it is not good for a man to be alone. I am not insensible of the hard terms which I have to offer you and in consequence a total rejection of my suit is what I have a right to expect…. I have nothing to give as a compensation for this but my love and respect, but I find the impetuosity of my passion has carried me too far. I wll then only ask the favor to address you and cultivate an acquaintance. As I am very anxious to know my fate I must ask the favor that you will condescend so much as to convey to me your sentiment in such a way as you may think proper.”
After much being discussion and lots of ground rules we will be entering this relationship. It is agreed My wife will come first for both of us. Loyalty as a friend and spouse. I’m well aware many will condemn me as a sinner, adulterer! My vows to my wife are not being abandoned but there is someone invited in to my world to potentially love me support me and that has been absent for so long. Sinner saved by Grace.

Ask God for grace to handle the difficulties you face, He knows the best way, try not to let yourself be led into committing sin. God bless you

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Hello SBruce, welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

View attachment 300583

05c8192c72896f3ad2fb960453b32d0a.gif

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It’s over two years since you posted this. You could be describing me! I’ve been caring for my wife at home since her diagnosis at 50yrs old, 7years ago. We were HS sweethearts raised 3 children and love one another still. Any people on this form who equally compare having an aunt or grandparent with Alz to spouses caring for Early On Set patients have no clue. People would ask me how my wife is and up until a month ago I said “living the vows”. Last week I asked a loyal friend of hers if she would consent to pursuing a relationship with me. Ephraim Cutler said it best “

Hello Plant Man, welcome to CF.
I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

View attachment 300583

05c8192c72896f3ad2fb960453b32d0a.gif

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

JoelQ

Jun 26, 2021
Greater Iowa
✟7,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Look into a book called "plant paradox" (I think the full title is much longer) by steven gundry to deal with autism. I worry I'll be blasted for being a heretic for thinking outside the box, but most of these long term degenerative disorders are continuously fed via a diet. Also a "bad diet" isn't what whoever experts say it is. There is no good diet advice coming from officialdom.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0