Detroit
✟7,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My name is Timothy Thomas, a 22 year old recent graduate of Michigan State University having majored in psychology and minored in African American studies and philosophy.
I was raised Pentecostal, my dad being a minister. My faith is Word-centric, and I believe wholeheartedly that the Bible is "given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16), that we may attain unto perfection, as the 17th verse elaborates. This, then, is why we ought to give ourselves to study of it, shewing ourselves "approved unto God...rightly dividing the word of truth." 'Rightly dividing the word of truth' is a function of the Holy Ghost (John 14:26) for "the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:...neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Corinthians 2:14). Thus, the only way to understand scripture, placing "precept upon precept...line upon line...here a little, and there a little" (Isaiah 28:10), is to receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 10:11) whereby we receive the Spirit of God into our person as shown by the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:13-17) and the Apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2), hence, Pentecostalism.
When you take a look at the entirety of scripture with God's spirit within you, you come to find that there are many things we take as true based on tradition, but is not scripturally supported. I have already mentioned one such thing in this post (the Baptism of the Holy Ghost) which, contrary to popular belief, does not automatically happen when you confess your sins and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. The apostles already believed in Christ and His message and had already confessed their sins and some, we know, were followers of John the Baptist and had, therefore, already been baptized in the water, but the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was a separate event altogether. For another example of people believing but not having the Holy Spirit, read Acts 19:1-6.
These and many other things I look forward to discussing with this community of believers, non-Christian religious people, and religious skeptics/non-religious alike. These realities may be controversial and difficult to digest, for many of us have grown up being taught a particular way, being preached some scriptures but not others, but every proposition I put forth will be scriptural. John 14:15, 1 John 3:8-10.

P.S. I only use the King James Version Bible. The translation of scripture is like the game of telephone: the further you get from the original, the more the original message tends to get messed up. Having studied the history of the Bible we now have from the original manuscripts to the various versions available today, the Authorized King James Version stands as the clearest, most accurate English translation closest to the source material.

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to the forums, take some time to look over all of the different categories and make sure to read the Statement of Purpose for them as well. This particular forum we are in now is meant for introductions, but feel encouraged to start new threads in forums where you can explore the different things you have written about here.

I hope that your stay is edifying and we can all learn something from each other.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My name is Timothy Thomas, a 22 year old recent graduate of Michigan State University having majored in psychology and minored in African American studies and philosophy.
I was raised Pentecostal, my dad being a minister. My faith is Word-centric, and I believe wholeheartedly that the Bible is "given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16), that we may attain unto perfection, as the 17th verse elaborates. This, then, is why we ought to give ourselves to study of it, shewing ourselves "approved unto God...rightly dividing the word of truth." 'Rightly dividing the word of truth' is a function of the Holy Ghost (John 14:26) for "the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God:...neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Corinthians 2:14). Thus, the only way to understand scripture, placing "precept upon precept...line upon line...here a little, and there a little" (Isaiah 28:10), is to receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 10:11) whereby we receive the Spirit of God into our person as shown by the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:13-17) and the Apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2), hence, Pentecostalism.
When you take a look at the entirety of scripture with God's spirit within you, you come to find that there are many things we take as true based on tradition, but is not scripturally supported. I have already mentioned one such thing in this post (the Baptism of the Holy Ghost) which, contrary to popular belief, does not automatically happen when you confess your sins and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. The apostles already believed in Christ and His message and had already confessed their sins and some, we know, were followers of John the Baptist and had, therefore, already been baptized in the water, but the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was a separate event altogether. For another example of people believing but not having the Holy Spirit, read Acts 19:1-6.
These and many other things I look forward to discussing with this community of believers, non-Christian religious people, and religious skeptics/non-religious alike. These realities may be controversial and difficult to digest, for many of us have grown up being taught a particular way, being preached some scriptures but not others, but every proposition I put forth will be scriptural. John 14:15, 1 John 3:8-10.

P.S. I only use the King James Version Bible. The translation of scripture is like the game of telephone: the further you get from the original, the more the original message tends to get messed up. Having studied the history of the Bible we now have from the original manuscripts to the various versions available today, the Authorized King James Version stands as the clearest, most accurate English translation closest to the source material.
Welcome. Be sure to browse the other forums outside this one. Enjoy your time here. :)

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Timothy,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

325197_9a8cf6302e79fa95f451ca0023ade86e.gif

f9a2ae5a8f29c2c1d3728c3a689d8318.gif

• Friendly
Reactions: Mama-Bear
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The translation of scripture is like the game of telephone: the further you get from the original, the more the original message tends to get messed up.

That statement alone shows whether you have studied the history of Bible translation you did not understand it.
Yes there are differences between translation, but gross distortions that happen in the game of telephones! In saying that you are accusing translators of diliberately lying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WOFFER

Woffie
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2003
Ann Arbor MI
✟29,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Original manuscripts? There are none. BTW, Bible History was my favorite class in Bible College.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That statement alone shows whether you have studied the history of Bible translation you did not understand it.
Yes there are differences between translation, but gross distortions that happen in the game of telephones! In saying that you are accusing translators of diliberately lying.

Not at all. People don't deliberately lie in the game of telephone. Those gross distortions happen because people assume things that are not true and hear what they expect or want to hear. They also have poor memories and cannot repeat exactly what they have been told.

And welcome to Timothy Thomas.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. People don't deliberately lie in the game of telephone. Those gross distortions happen because people assume things that are not true and hear what they expect or want to hear. They also have poor memories and cannot repeat exactly what they have been told.

And welcome to Timothy Thomas.

Sorry but either you didn't play this game very often or you played it with very serious people.
None of those I played it with had any intention of repeating the message accurately, they were after the funniest distortion they could make.

In an oral society stories are often told and there is great shame in not telling the story correctly.

It is said that the church fathers quoted the NT so often that it would be possible to construct an accurate copy from there quotes alone.
Just one of the many items of evidence that demonstrate the inaccuracy of the telephone accusation.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry but either you didn't play this game very often or you played it with very serious people.
None of those I played it with had any intention of repeating the message accurately, they were after the funniest distortion they could make.

In an oral society stories are often told and there is great shame in not telling the story correctly.

It is said that the church fathers quoted the NT so often that it would be possible to construct an accurate copy from there quotes alone.
Just one of the many items of evidence that demonstrate the inaccuracy of the telephone accusation.

inaccuracy and purposeful deception are not the same thing. If people are being purposefully deceptive they are not entering into the spirit of the game as the object is to find out how inaccurate something returns when people are trying to be accurate.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We played it often in school, and the goal was always to attempt to keep the message as accurate as possible. The hilarity was in seeing how vastly skewed the message unintentionally became from the beginning to the end of the line.

And welcome to Timothy :)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
inaccuracy and purposeful deception are not the same thing. If people are being purposefully deceptive they are not entering into the spirit of the game as the object is to find out how inaccurate something returns when people are trying to be accurate.

And the telephone game still bares no resemblance to how the Bible was transmitted.

So is pointless to mention it.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the telephone game still bares no resemblance to how the Bible was transmitted.

So is pointless to mention it.

Then why did you bring it up ? Are you in the habit of mentioning pointless things?

Upvote 0