Hello, another one of those atheists here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchyBuffalo

Oct 9, 2017
The International Space Station
✟15,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
From what I can see so far, the forum is accepting as a whole towards atheists with a few minor cases of bashing. What I really came here for is an interesting conversation with some Christians on why they believe what they do. What can bring a logical human being to believe events that were only ever claimed to have actually happened in a single anthology of books. (Obviously it was mentioned in later books but the "Holy Bible" was the only book to document the trial and execution of Jesus until the 6th century.) I understand the concept of faith, but surrounded by so much solid evidence for evolution and natural selection, how can one really believe in something as far-fetched as the first chapters of Genesis? Just state your opinion. I don't need to be blessed or wished well. Just give me a logical answer or maybe a welcome if you feel it necessary.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
From what I can see so far, the forum is accepting as a whole towards atheists with a few minor cases of bashing. What I really came here for is an interesting conversation with some Christians on why they believe what they do. What can bring a logical human being to believe events that were only ever claimed to have actually happened in a single anthology of books. (Obviously it was mentioned in later books but the "Holy Bible" was the only book to document the trial and execution of Jesus until the 6th century.) I understand the concept of faith, but surrounded by so much solid evidence for evolution and natural selection, how can one really believe in something as far-fetched as the first chapters of Genesis? Just state your opinion. I don't need to be blessed or wished well. Just give me a logical answer or maybe a welcome if you feel it necessary.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here. We Christians come in many flavours. For, example I have been a Christian for over seventy years but I am also a retired scientist/mathematician/educator. This particular flavour of Christian has no problem at all with the theory of evolution. I do however get a considerable amount of flak from fellow Christians who have a different point of view. As I said, we are a varied lot.

Upvote 0

Baby Cottontail

Sep 25, 2016
Northwest Ohio
✟19,571.00
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome. I think you will discover that the Christians on this site have a lot of different views about various issues. We can't all be placed in the same box. This includes our views about Genesis and evolution.

For example, while I do believe that God created the world, I do not believe that it necessarily has to be literal 24 hour days that we know of today. I believe God could have created in a literal 7 days that we know, but I think it more likely that each "day" might have been a much longer period of time, as time is different from God's perspective.

As for evolution, I am not opposed to it, so long as it is acknowledge that God is the Creator. I believe God could have used what we perceive as evolution in creating. Evolution has no impact on my faith in God.

I believe that the main emphasis in the first couple chapters of Genesis is that God created the world. Time and exact process of how God did this does not matter to me.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
God showed himself and proved his existence to me, when I was in denial of that for a long time, and was (still am some) a great sceptic, he proved his existence to me here beyond a shadow of a doubt... The experiencial things, involving all kinds of things, many, many times, and still does sometimes...

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! I enjoy interfaith discussions, and many other CF-ers do too. I look forward to some lively conversations with you.

Like JackRT, I am an educator (math/computer science), though I'm not retired yet. Also, like JackRT, I accept evolution as the best known theory for the development of species. Many Christians see Genesis 1 as theological poetry, rather than as a scientific treatise. We can talk about that, if you like.

For now, greetings, and welcome. :wave:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...I guess there's always room for one more. :rolleyes: Welcome to CF, SketchyBuffalo!

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome. I personally accept the theory of evolution, big bang theory, whatever. At the same time, I can believe in something as far fetched as God, His incarnate Word Who was crucified and rose from the dead, ascended into heaven where He is with God and Who will return at the proper time and raise all who have ever died, and judge them.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi Sketchy;
I'll forgo my usual greeting of inviting new members to the music forums here on CF; to just say; welcome to CF; and may the Lord Jesus guide you to Himself; if He so chooses.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
OB; I found your post too funny to report for DB (disruptive behavior) but as one of the "Superior Beings" I must say that you are a further evidence that God does have a sense of humor; to make people such as yourself. :D

There is no guarantee that other staff wont find your post DB; but I hope they leave it up to show what good sports we Christians are. Cheers.
Mnorian

Thank you Your Radiance. I can only hope that your fellow Manificats will also accept that a little light levity can be good for the soul.
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Occasionally you will come across gaunt, decrepit individuals dressed in soiled garments and cowering in foetid corners. Do not be afraid. These are your fellow atheists.

An even lower form of life is the liberal *shudder* Christian. No one knows what to make of them.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,837.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mod tiara.jpg

MOD HAT (TIARA) ON
This thread will remain closed.
I appreciate the humour in this thread, but it does cross the line significantly.
Please remember the purpose of the Introduce Yourself forum:
This forum is for you to post a brief introduction of yourself and to let our members welcome you here.​
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.