• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Hello all, I'm just an old Biker that Jesus saved and called into the ministry.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rev. DJ West, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Rev. DJ West

Rev. DJ West New Member

+0
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I'm trying to find info on the age old discussion of hair. in the Old Testament it was ok to have long hair if you took a Nazarite vow. But then in the New Testament it says it's a shame for a man to have long hair...?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. rockytopva

rockytopva Love to pray! :) Supporter

+6,263
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Too bad we could not grow the head of hair we had back then!

3. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,905
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    How you look matters not to God.

Welcome here friend.

4. Shawn Stuart

Shawn Stuart Member

+114
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Actually it does. Not only is there the caution against men having long hair there is also a commandment against tattooing and a charge in Ecclesiastes to wear white raiment.

1 Corinthians 11:14
    Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Leviticus 19:28
    Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Ecclesiastes 9:8
    Let thy garments be always white;

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  5. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,061
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    well ... there's this

1 Corinthians 11

14 Doesn’t nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory?

Actually, in context, I think it means that men should look like men and women should look like women and should be distinguishable as such.... so as long as you are distinguishable I don't think it's an issue.

and there is also this:

1 Samuel 16:7

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Welcome to the forum, may you be blessed by it.

6. Nicolaus Mourer

Nicolaus Mourer Call me Nic. Supporter

+1,472
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Like others have said, the first and fore-most thing that is important to God is the condition of a man's heart.

However, it's a dangerous thing to say God does not also care about how you look in appearance, because our body is the temple of God (1 Corinthians 6:15-20); so how we look, how we dress, etc, is one of the ways of how we represent God to the world. We can either have our appearance to line up with the intention of his design, and therefore glorify him by doing so, or we can dress and look like the rest of the world, and not show separation from the world.

Either way, it doesn't affect his love toward us at all, but God does care. God cares and has an opinion on everything, whether big or small, I would think.

Also, welcome to the forums, friend. I pray God blesses your time here.

7. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+3,115
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    Boy did that bring back a funny memory from the early 70s late 60s . A tall long haired male friend in high school was bumped into by a shorter less stocky guy and the short guy said “excuse me miss . Laughed until I was in tears and breathless

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  8. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,544
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hello and welcome to CF. :)

The Scripture I think you're referencing has to do with cultural context. Men should dress and wear their hair, etc. as is appropriate for men, and likewise for women. These cultural norms can change somewhat across time and places. It's not so much about how long God wants hair to be, but how we present ourselves in general. Even so, as others have mentioned, paying attention only to the external with no regard for the heart isn't wise either.

I hope you enjoy CF. :)

9. sunshine100

sunshine100 Love God Love people Supporter

+1,574
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Hello and welcome

10. ItIsFinished!

ItIsFinished! Jesus Christ is our only hope.

+1,071
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Welcome DJ.
    I pray the Lord gives you wisdom regarding your question , and I pray that He guides you through His calling.
    I would much like to hear your testimony my friend.

Peace in our Saviours name.

11. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+7,627
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Coming from another old biker that don't ride much anymore welcome.

Well it's the old hair and we could throw in tattoo issue.

Many in our church including one of the elders get tattoos. I'm tattoo free and think best to stay that way.

Regarding my hair -- the way it's been falling out lately I don't have to worry too much.

I always loved having a big head of hair but, it appears those days are over.

Just a little blowing up top these days when I ride my motorbike. Started out on a Honda 50 when I was young and then had several bikes including Harleys Yamahas Hondas Etc and now I'm back on a Honda 50 motorized bicycle. Almost right back where I started.

Keep coming back and sharing.

M-Bob

12. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God Supporter

+8,658
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    Hi and welcome here.