Hellacious Hermeneutics ... or "Why're we so serious about the Bible"?

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is one of the points at which a lot of decisions are often made, and hermeneutics is about making these decisions explicit. In any text there are norms and expectations, things that can be omitted because the author/audience relationship assumes it is already known. When it comes to Biblical texts, the various implied elements often have significant disconnect because we infer information that the author may have never intended, or we fail to fill gaps that the author would have expected. (I speak in these areas of the human authors, rather than the Divine author.) Understanding the literary tropes, the archetypes, the allusions, the symbolism, the manner in which pacing is managed, the way points are stressed, and all sorts of other issues create discrpancy between author and audience. To an ancient Hebrew, these issues would be resolved subconsciously and seemlessly, just as we resolve these issues when watching movies or reading books from our own culture. In part, the hermeneutical task is to determine which of these issues are critical and addressing them as well as we can based on available evidence.

Ok. I agree...but @misput was asking us to describe 'how' we who use hermeneutics work through our process to identify and understand (or do the exegesis for) "the Mark of Cain."

I was trying to keep it simple. :cool:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who, what, where, why, when and how, yes I am familiar with that process.

Alright, misput. Then you can acknowledge that, along with the rest of us, you're already a hermeneuticist yourself as well. ;)

So, at this point, since you're a fellow Christian hermeneuticist and you know that we need to ask questions of the texts as we read them, what would you think step 3 might be? Should we ask of our reading of Genesis chapter 4 if there is enough information there in that chapter alone to answer your pertinent question about the mark Cain? If it doesn't, what should we look for next? :cool:

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok. I agree...but @misput was asking us to describe 'how' we who use hermeneutics work through our process to identify and understand (or do the exegesis for) "the Mark of Cain."

I was trying to keep it simple. :cool:
Ah...though that may also be a cultural issue. Especially as to us the specifics of the mark seem important, yet part of the hermeneutical task to me seems that it would begin with the question of whether knowing specifics about the mark is truly an important question or not.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah...though that may also be a cultural issue. Especially as to us the specifics of the mark seem important, yet part of the hermeneutical task to me seems that it would begin with the question of whether knowing specifics about the mark is truly an important question or not.

Maybe. And that is something for us to think about, but for @misput, it seems to be a question that's on his mind, and my hermeneutical tact would allow anyone to ask any question he/she wants to (almost). Some questions, of course, will obviously show their possible idiocy right from the start.

But some questions, like @misput's, might be an important question, especially if we know there's been a history of disagreement as to an answer for it. Also, if we surmise there has been a misuse of an idea from the Bible, like that of the "mark of Cain"(or "the Curse of Ham" or "the mark of the Beast" for that matter), then the question about its actual meaning can be an immediaately relevant one for us to attempt to answer and (if possible) sort out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. And that is something for us to think about, but for @misput, it seems to be a question that's on her mind, and my hermeneutical tact would allow anyone to ask any question he/she wants to (almost). Some questions, of course, will obviously show their possible idiocy right from the start.

But some questions, like @misput's, might be an important question, especially if we know there's been a history of disagreement as to an answer for it. Also, if we surmise there has been a misuse of an idea from the Bible, like that of the "mark of Cain"(or "the Curse of Ham" or "the mark of the Beast" for that matter), then the question about its actual meaning can be an immediaately relevant one for us to attempt to answer and (if possible) sort out.
While the importance of the question isn't entirely text dependent(as historical arguments can make things that are unimportant to the text important to the interpreter), I am somewhat folding in some of the issues you were getting at by examining the scope of the text's answers to the question. A question may very well be an important question in itself, yet to the text it may be irrelevant and answering it based on what is in the text may be an over-reach. One of the tasks I like to establish early on is to identify what the text appears to be trying to address so that the questions being asked of the text are important both in a general sense and to the scope of the text. And a lot of this comes down to cultural differences, especially when we have context rich indirect cultures and low-context direct cultures coming into contact as we have when a Westerner reads the Hebrew portions of the Bible.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who, what, where, why, when and how, yes I am familiar with that process.

... also, my apologies about mis-referencing your gender. So, I did my hermeneutical work and I see you're male. Sorry to have missed that earlier. :cool:

Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟152,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Alright, misput. Then you can acknowledge that, along with the rest of us, you're already a hermeneuticist yourself as well. ;)

So, at this point, since you're a fellow Christian hermeneuticist and you know that we need to ask questions of the texts as we read them, what would you think step 3 might be? Should we ask of our reading of Genesis chapter 4 if there is enough information there in that chapter alone to answer your pertinent question about the mark Cain? If it doesn't, what should we look for next? :cool:
I know about the process but I am not always skillful in the use of it. Just hoping someone could lead me through it so I might learn.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know about the process but I am not always skillful in the use of it. Just hoping someone could lead me through it so I might learn.

Ok. Keep in mind, I'm attempting to keep this simple. For a more formal engagement, there are a lot of books or sources online that will explore and spell out this process with much fuller detail. If we look hard enough, we can often find someone in most major Christian denominations who has written about Hermeneutics and Exegesis, and there's likely one out there who belongs to your own slice of the Christian church.

Anyway, 'step 3.' We move to the next context layer and look for any comments made by Moses in any other thing he is reported to have written. Do you know of any? (Honestly, I'm not seeing others, but if you know of some, let me know since the Hermeneutical process for a Christian is a community process and not primarily an individual one----it's not all about what I, 2PhiloVoid, think about what I'm reading or finding all by myself). ;)

If we don't make headway there, we might move to step 4, and expand our search to another context level: looking for relevant info about Cain and his mark among the writings of other authors in the O.T. and the N.T.

Once we find these, we can gather our data (if possible).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Another hermeneutical point of awareness is for us to not expect that all questions can necessarily be answered from researching and reading the Bible alone. Sometimes, part of our Hermeneutical work can be more diversified and spread out by gathering commentaries for especially difficult or sparsely described ideas in the Bible (like the Mark of Cain). We may want to consult biblical commentaries, biblical dictionaries and encylopedia of cultural facts belonging to the ancient era of the Bible. We might also see if Jewish rabbis have any teachings on the subject within their respective tradition which might offer additional insight.

With me so far?

Now, in the case of the Mark of Cain, even after we go through all of these steps, we're probably not going to find a precise answer. And that's okay. It doesn't mean we did something wrong since there isn't always a positive or substantial answer to every question we can ask of the biblical text. And where the mark of Cain is concerned, we'll find that there have been various answers offered up, but none are definitive. All we can know is that the mark was some kind of signifier of God's protection for Cain. This would rule out really egregious interpretations like some people have attempted to foist upon the text in the past, one of which used to be that the mark of Cain was supposedly the dark skin that African peoples have. By using substantial hermeneutics, we should at least come away in our reading **not** thinking that the mark has anything to do with an ethnicity of 'Cain's lineage.'

The thing to keep in mind is that we can ask our questions, and if we've more or less followed these kinds of steps, then we can come away justified that our search for an answer was at least substantial and that by applying these aspects of hermeneutics, we will help ourselves to read the texts more accurately if there is information to be found.

Keep in mind, too, that your other inquiries into 1 Peter 3:18-20 and the two trees and snake in Genesis might have different outcomes when we apply hermeneutics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟152,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok. Keep in mind, I'm attempting to keep this simple. For a more formal engagement, there are a lot of books or sources online that will explore and spell out this process with much fuller detail. If we look hard enough, we can often find someone in most major Christian denominations who have written about Hermeneutics and Exegesis, and there's likely one out there who belongs to your own slice of the Christian church.

Anyway, 'step 3.' We move to the next context layer and look for any comments made by Moses in any other thing he is reported to have written. Do you know of any? (Honestly, I'm not seeing others, but if you know of some, let me know since the Hermeneutical process for a Christian is a community process and not primarily an individual one----it's not all about what I, 2PhiloVoid, think about what I'm reading or finding all by myself). ;)

If we don't make headway there, we might move to step 4, and expand our search to another context level: looking for relevant info about Cain and his mark among the writings of other authors in the O.T. and the N.T.

Once we find these, we can gather our data (if possible).
In the verses we are looking at Cain is said to have become very angery and The Lord says vengeance will be taken on anyone who kills Cain seven fold and later Cains descendant says if Cain gets seven fold vengeance he will take seventy seven fold. Could this be a lead to what the mark was?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the verses we are looking at Cain is said to have become very angery and The Lord says vengeance will be taken on anyone who kills Cain seven fold and later Cains descendant says if Cain gets seven fold vengeance he will take seventy seven fold. Could this be a lead to what the mark was?

I could be wrong, but I tend not to think that the "seven fold vengeance" statement indicates or implies what the mark itself looked like or how it was signified. All we can know is that it was somehow present with, or on the body of, Cain.

If you think of any other biblical texts that may apply, feel free to bring them up for discussion. :cool:

Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It has been my ongoing experience over the years to observe that most people, Christian or otherwise, have felt a sense of chagrin about the topic of Hermeneutics and Exegesis, especially where the Bible is concerned.

This got me thinking today, and I thought to myself, "Self!" ...and you know you can never be too serious when talking to yourself, and I said further to myself, "...maybe all of this Hermeneutics and Exegesis stuff you've attempted to engage and to learn about these past few decades is all hocus-pocus and amounts to nothing more than sophistry with semantics and frail human words. Why believe any of this? Maybe it's all additive, or worse yet, incorrect, unneeded and otherwise superfluous to the Christian Life on the whole. I mean, you have the Holy Spirit just like all of these other fine people do who identify as Christians. Who needs anything more?"

And so, without further ado, I leave this thread as a space for all other Christians to tell me why I don't need Hermeneutics (or lessons in Exegesis), such as that which is all to briefly described but respresented by Jens Zimmeran in the video below, when engaging the (our) Christian Faith ...

Don't be shy! Go ahead! Rip Jens Zimmerman up one side and down the other ...

I took a secular religious studies course on early christianity in college. One of the few courses I aced, actually. The textual analysis was fairly interesting. I felt like I could keep going, but, it was too secular for my taste and I felt it would have eventually led me toward making compromises between analysis and faith, given that there were some things we had gotten into that I just couldn't bring myself to accept. To pass the course, though, I had to learn to compartmentalize. It didn't take long before I found I had a fairly decent knack for putting on my secular humanist hat, then apply methodology as if only to ask the question "what does this method tell us?," and then put on a completely different hat as a believing christian, and compare the two. That process led me to some fairly good inspiration for my papers which got the grade. Hermeneutics is interesting.

In the world of christian religion, on the other hand, I don't really have the same impression. There's a bit of politicking wrapped up in it, and I guess it's understandable: to be an "interpreter" in christian religion is to hold a kind of position of prominence, even among protestants. We do need pastors and teachers after all.

The world of debate, on the other hand, is where hermeneutics reaches the level of absurdity. Frankly, pulling the "out of context" card really ought to be considered a formal fallacy. It's probably the most common trick in the book, and eventually, I began to resort to excluding my exegesis, interpretation, and to just throw the book at them, almost literally, and let scripture itself argue for itself.

In the process though, I do seem to have picked up a knack and appreciation for harmonizations, and also, for the existence of a cohesive, spiritual truth -- I mean, because, let's face it, if there isn't one, well, then nobody but the secular humanists really have any business interpreting the text.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

misput

JimD
Sep 5, 2018
Pacific, Mo.
✟152,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I could be wrong, but I tend not to think that the "seven fold vengeance" statement indicates or implies what the mark itself looked like or how it was signified. All we can know is that it was somehow present with, or on the body of, Cain.

If you think of any other biblical texts that may apply, feel free to bring them up for discussion. :cool:
Do you think it could be a spiritual mark instead of a bodily mark?
Do you want to have a go at the two trees and the snake or 1 Peter 3:18-20?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The world of debate, on the other hand, is where hermeneutics reaches the level of absurdity. Frankly, pulling the "out of context" card really ought to be considered a formal fallacy. It's probably the most common trick in the book, and eventually, I began to resort to excluding my exegesis, interpretation, and to just throw the book at them, almost literally, and let scripture itself argue for itself.
A lot of this comes to most people not understanding what context means, as it is both the most common interpretive error as well as an attempted catch-all in debate/discussion. Which is in part because most people don't seem to understand how context changes meaning, nor even how meaning is derived in the first place. And unfortunately the indexing on most Bibles gives an impression that it's simply a matter of pulling out verses to build a system of neatly packaged doctrine. Individual verses do not "speak for themselves" because they are informed by a context, whether that context be the surrounding text and historical circumstances or the context of the interpreter's biases and presuppositions.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A lot of this comes to most people not understanding what context means, as it is both the most common interpretive error as well as an attempted catch-all in debate/discussion. Which is in part because most people don't seem to understand how context changes meaning, nor even how meaning is derived in the first place. And unfortunately the indexing on most Bibles gives an impression that it's simply a matter of pulling out verses to build a system of neatly packaged doctrine. Individual verses do not "speak for themselves" because they are informed by a context, whether that context be the surrounding text and historical circumstances or the context of the interpreter's biases and presuppositions.

This is almost exactly what I'm talking about.

I once heard that two and two make four.

Unaware of the context which I heard this, could you tell me what it means? Of course you can. This almost sounds like you're trying to say "you can't read the bible."

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you think it could be a spiritual mark instead of a bodily mark?
Do you want to have a go at the two trees and the snake or 1 Peter 3:18-20?

Sure, we could do one of those next, although it may need to be tomorrow or so since it's about time for me to sign off for the day. Let's take it up soon, though. It ought to be interesting and will give us a chance to explore some additional aspects of Hermeneutics and Exegesis. :cool:

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is almost exactly what I'm talking about.

I once heard that two and two make four.

Unaware of the context which I heard this, could you tell me what it means? Of course you can. This almost sounds like you're trying to say "you can't read the bible."
No, you're simply reducing what I'm saying to an absurd level. It is true I am saying that an individual cannot simply pick up a Bible knowing absolutely nothing about its history and read it from cover to cover and understand what it is saying, and will in fact create meanings that are not intended if they do not work to understand the context. There are cultural issues, language transfer issues, literary issues, intertexuality, and all sorts of issues going on in the Bible that require years of study to begin being able to accurately represent what it is saying. I may be able to make sense of your statement, but someone from the igbo tribe may need contextual reference to understand the unspoken issues like the unusual usage of the word "make" in that sentence that makes it an abstract concept of addition instead of building something. As an interpreter we bring all sorts of unspoken understandings to the text and part of the task of recovering meaning requires that we recognize our assumptions and put ourselves as much into the shoes of the original author/audience as possible. There is no "plain meaning" to ancient texts written to entirely different cultures with entirely different norms, philosophies, and concepts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

TheWhat?

Ate all the treats
Jul 3, 2021
SoCal
✟38,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No, you're simply reducing what I'm saying to an absurd level.

When the "out of context" argument approaches absurdity one does not have to do any work to render it to be absurd. One need only expose the absurdity.

It is true I am saying that an individual cannot simply pick up a Bible knowing absolutely nothing about its history and read it from cover to cover and understand what it is saying, and will in fact create meanings that are not intended if they do not work to understand the context. There are cultural issues, language transfer issues, literary issues, intertexuality, and all sorts of issues going on in the Bible that require years of study to begin being able to accurately represent what it is saying. I may be able to make sense of your statement, but someone from the igbo tribe may need contextual reference to understand the unspoken issues like the unusual usage of the word "make" in that sentence that makes it an abstract concept of addition instead of building something. As an interpreter we bring all sorts of unspoken understandings to the text and part of the task of recovering meaning requires that we recognize our assumptions and put ourselves as much into the shoes of the original author/audience as possible. There is no "plain meaning" to ancient texts written to entirely different cultures with entirely different norms, philosophies, and concepts.

So you are not a sola scripturist. Fair enough, neither am I, but I am not in the habit of playing games with people quoting the bible.

So, let's just assume that you hold all the keys, and the average reader doesn't. At best, you can only arrive at a rendering of what the bible means to say or how it should be read. We already have many, from which to compare as well.

That brings to mind a test I think is fairly useful to expose and challenge the "out of context" fallacy: to request that the proponent of the claim demonstrate how the apparent meaning of a statement is changed -- and this of course, is usually disregarded when it's avoidance of a statement transmitted by scripture that is the goal.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the "out of context" argument approaches absurdity one does not have to do any work to render it to be absurd. One need only expose the absurdity.
"Out of context" is only absurd if it is being used as if it were some sort of magic spell. Failing to resolve the context is always an error.

So you are not a sola scripturist. Fair enough, neither am I, but I am not in the habit of playing games with people quoting the bible.
No, I'm not a nuda scripturist. I embrace sola scriptura, and most of the work of recovering the context comes from studying the Bible itself, since it is the best source for information about the relevant histories. It's simply that it's not a matter of pulling individual tidbits out.

So, let's just assume that you hold all the keys, and the average reader doesn't. At best, you can only arrive at a rendering of what the bible means to say or how it should be read. We already have many, from which to compare as well.
It's more of a process of argumentation than "holding all the keys." Any reader can resolve the context, it's simply a matter of putting in the work and treating the document as a whole rather than breaking it into unnatural parts.

That brings to mind a test I think is fairly useful to expose and challenge the "out of context" fallacy: to request that the proponent of the claim demonstrate how the apparent meaning of a statement is changed -- and this of course, is usually disregarded when it's avoidance of a statement transmitted by scripture that is the goal.
Your test is decent, as simply declaring something to be out of context isn't an argument in and of itself. One of the most frequent examples I can think of is a common abuse of Romans 8-9 where God's declaration "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy" is treated as if God is limiting His mercy and excluding individuals from it, when the context of these passages is to explain how God remains just in expanding His mercy beyond national Israel. The different contexts give entirely opposite meanings to the same sentence.

Upvote 0