Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Joseph Smith family apparently hated the doctrine of hell as we understand it. Joseph's grandfather Asael Smith was "somewhat of a Universalist."
"It is commonly reported in the family that he brought the ill-will of his neighbors upon his head because of his too liberal religious views. It is well known that he was open and explicit and always expressed his honest opinions whether they were in accord with prevailing views or not."
Full text of "Asael Smith of Topsfield"

Mormon Views of Hell
Latter-day revelation speaks of hell in at least two senses. First, it is the temporary abode in the spirit world for those who were disobedient in mortality. In this sense, hell has an end. The spirits there will be taught the gospel, and sometime following their repentance they will be resurrected to a degree of glory of which they are worthy. Those who will not repent, but are nevertheless not sons of perdition, will remain in hell throughout the Millennium. After these thousand years of torment, they will be resurrected to a telestial glory (D&C 76:81–86; 88:100–101).

Second, it is the permanent location of those who are not redeemed by the atonement of Jesus Christ. In this sense, hell is permanent. It is for those who are found “filthy still” (D&C 88:35, 102). This is the place where Satan, his angels, and the sons of perdition—those who have denied the Son after the Father has revealed him—will dwell eternally (D&C 76:43–46). :sick:
Hell

But those who inherit a telestial glory or a terrestrial glory don't have eternal life. Mormons still say they are redeemed. :scratch:

The permanent hell is referred to as Outer Darkness:

The prophet Alma explains that the wicked “shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.” (Alma 40:13.)
I Have a Question - Ensign Apr. 1986 - ensign

Mormons redefine the words of scripture :sigh::
“Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment.

“Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name’s glory.

I guess that is clear as mud.

Last edited by a moderator:

outlawState

Apr 14, 2016
Hampshire, UK
✟12,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mormon Views of Hell
Latter-day revelation speaks of hell in at least two senses. First, it is the temporary abode in the spirit world for those who were disobedient in mortality. In this sense, hell has an end. The spirits there will be taught the gospel, and sometime following their repentance they will be resurrected to a degree of glory of which they are worthy. Those who will not repent, but are nevertheless not sons of perdition, will remain in hell throughout the Millennium. After these thousand years of torment, they will be resurrected to a telestial glory (D&C 76:81–86; 88:100–101).

Second, it is the permanent location of those who are not redeemed by the atonement of Jesus Christ. In this sense, hell is permanent. It is for those who are found “filthy still” (D&C 88:35, 102). This is the place where Satan, his angels, and the sons of perdition—those who have denied the Son after the Father has revealed him—will dwell eternally (D&C 76:43–46). :sick:

But those who inherit a telestial glory or a terrestrial glory don't have eternal life. Mormons still say they are redeemed. :scratch:

The prophet Alma explains that the wicked “shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, and this because of their own iniquity, being led captive by the will of the devil.” (Alma 40:13.)

“Nevertheless, it is not written that there shall be no end to this torment, but it is written endless torment.

“Again, it is written eternal damnation; wherefore it is more express than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children of men, altogether for my name’s glory.

Rigdon (and Smith) taught that hell would only last until Christ had put all his enemies under his feet. Yet there this is an ambiguity in the very meaning of hell: does it mean Sheol, as in the grave, or Gehenna, the garbase dump? Whatever they are talking about, it is very unwi se to stray from the teachings of Christ and his apostles who taught the destruction of the souls of the wicked (in Gehenna), as well as the punishment of the rebellious in Sheol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satanist.
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Joseph Smith family apparently hated the doctrine of hell as we understand it. Joseph's grandfather Asael Smith was "somewhat of a Universalist."
"It is commonly reported in the family that he brought the ill-will of his neighbors upon his head because of his too liberal religious views. It is well known that he was open and explicit and always expressed his honest opinions whether they were in accord with prevailing views or not."

Mormon Views of Hell

Our scripture is quit muddy on the issue.

Upvote 0

dayofgrace

Feb 6, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
✟955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Mormon Views of Hell

I hope to see you find peace from these vexing doctrines of the LDS church.

I liked all the emoticons, very fitting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Mormon Views of Hell

Is there a question being asked here or a point being made? Or are you just letting everyone know that you don't understand LDS doctrine. (A fact that the LDS on the forum point out all the time.)

:sigh:

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I hope to see you find peace from these vexing doctrines of the LDS church.

I liked all the emoticons, very fitting.

Peace comes from the love of and for God.

James 1
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

John 14
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 8
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

God bless you as you read His word.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Peace comes from the love of and for God.

James 1
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

John 14
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 8
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

God bless you as you read His word.
What does God get from him throwing some of his children into a place that would forever be tortured and in pain? Do you think that instead of punishment for ever that rehabilitation would. E a better way or placing them in a place where they can live knowing what they have done but never being able to be more than what they have become for eternity.

Upvote 0

outlawState

Apr 14, 2016
Hampshire, UK
✟12,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is there a question being asked here or a point being made? Or are you just letting everyone know that you don't understand LDS doctrine. (A fact that the LDS on the forum point out all the time.)
I am not clear on why "hell" should be subject to any doctrine. It is a place where those whom God has destroyed go to. Matt 10;28.

If hell is a doctrine, then I suggest it is a doctrine of man, not God.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What does God get from him throwing some of his children into a place that would forever be tortured and in pain? Do you think that instead of punishment for ever that rehabilitation would. E a better way or placing them in a place where they can live knowing what they have done but never being able to be more than what they have become for eternity.

Mormons teach:
Faith in Jesus Christ helps us be prepared for the Final Judgment. Through faithful discipleship to Him and repentance of all our sins, we can be forgiven for our sins and become pure and holy so that we can dwell in the presence of God. As we repent of our sins, giving up every impure thought and act, the Holy Ghost will change our hearts so we no longer have even the desire to sin ( Mosiah 5:2 ). Then when we are judged, we will be found ready to enter into God’s presence.
Gospel Principles Chapter 46: The Final Judgment

The difference between Mormonism and the Bible is that groups of people in the Mormon Telestial Kingdom and Terrestrial Kingdoms of glory don't go to Outer Darkness but are permanently separated from God. Yet there still are some who are sent to Outer Darkness.

Outer Darkness
These are they who had testimonies of Jesus through the Holy Ghost and knew the power of the Lord but allowed Satan to overcome them. They denied the truth and defied the power of the Lord. There is no forgiveness for them, for they denied the Holy Spirit after having received it. They will not have a kingdom of glory. They will live in eternal darkness, torment, and misery with Satan and his angels forever. (See D&C 76:28–35, 44–48.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Mormons teach:
Faith in Jesus Christ helps us be prepared for the Final Judgment. Through faithful discipleship to Him and repentance of all our sins, we can be forgiven for our sins and become pure and holy so that we can dwell in the presence of God. As we repent of our sins, giving up every impure thought and act, the Holy Ghost will change our hearts so we no longer have even the desire to sin ( Mosiah 5:2 ). Then when we are judged, we will be found ready to enter into God’s presence.

The difference between Mormonism and the Bible is that groups of people in the Mormon Telestial Kingdom and Terrestrial Kingdoms of glory don't go to Outer Darkness but are permanently separated from God. Yet there still are some who are sent to Outer Darkness.

Outer Darkness
These are they who had testimonies of Jesus through the Holy Ghost and knew the power of the Lord but allowed Satan to overcome them. They denied the truth and defied the power of the Lord. There is no forgiveness for them, for they denied the Holy Spirit after having received it. They will not have a kingdom of glory. They will live in eternal darkness, torment, and misery with Satan and his angels forever. (See D&C 76:28–35, 44–48.)
You instance to trying to "inform" an LDS person what LDS people believe is hilarious.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Hell

That's actual church theology, if anyone is curious.

Second, it is the permanent location of those who are not redeemed by the atonement of Jesus Christ. In this sense, hell is permanent. It is for those who are found “filthy still” (D&C 88:35, 102). This is the place where Satan, his angels, and the sons of perdition—those who have denied the Son after the Father has revealed him—will dwell eternally (D&C 76:43–46).

The scriptures sometimes refer to hell as outer darkness.

There are additional supporting scripture verses if you follow the link, verses that include both the Old & New Testaments.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I am not clear on why "hell" should be subject to any doctrine. It is a place where those whom God has destroyed go to. Matt 10;28.

First of all, I didn't indicate that "hell" is subject to doctrine. That would be silly. The idea doesn't make any sense. According to dictionary dot com the definition of doctrine is as follows.

Doctrine
noun
1. a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.

2. something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.

3. a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

As such, "something that is taught" cannot possibly subject the topic of that teaching. It isn't possible or logical.

If hell is a doctrine, then I suggest it is a doctrine of man, not God.

Hell isn't a doctrine. It is a topic. It is a topic that is mentioned in the Bible. Which means the Bible contains items that fall into the category of "something that is taught." Based on your comment above, this would mean that the Bible (according to you) contains the doctrine of man and not God, because you don't put any qualifier on the statement. Simply - if Hell is a doctrine then it is a doctrine of man. While Hell itself isn't a doctrine the Bible does contain many doctrines about Hell and thus your statement would have to be directed to the doctrines about Hell that the Bible contains.

:)

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What Jesus taught:
Matthew 25
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Now this interesting, everlasting and eternal are exactly the same Greek word:
αἰώνιος

46 And these shall go away into αἰώνιος punishment: but the righteous into life αἰώνιος.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What Jesus taught:
Matthew 25
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Now this interesting, everlasting and eternal are exactly the same Greek word:
αἰώνιος

46 And these shall go away into αἰώνιος punishment: but the righteous into life αἰώνιος.
I would say there is a difference.

Upvote 0