Akron
✟70,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Dante's depiction of Hell in his literary work, "The Divine Comedy," is not found in the Bible. While the Bible does contain descriptions of punishment for the wicked, such as the "lake of fire" in Revelation, Dante's portrayal of Hell includes many elements and levels that are not described in the Bible.

Dante's vision of Hell is based on his own personal beliefs and experiences, as well as the teachings of his time, which included both Christian and classical sources. His depiction of Hell is primarily a work of fiction, intended to convey moral and theological ideas through vivid imagery and allegory.

Therefore, the concepts and imagery of Dante's Hell are not explicitly found in the Bible, and his work should not be interpreted as a literal representation of the Bible's teachings on Hell.

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,394.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Therefore, the concepts and imagery of Dante's Hell are not explicitly found in the Bible, and his work should not be interpreted as a literal representation of the Bible's teachings on Hell.
But it came in handy for a church trying to keep the masses fearful, much like global entrepreneurs do today. Fear is a powerful weapon man likes to use to present themselves as saviours. God on the other hand needed no such control.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Dante's depiction of Hell in his literary work, "The Divine Comedy," is not found in the Bible. While the Bible does contain descriptions of punishment for the wicked, such as the "lake of fire" in Revelation, Dante's portrayal of Hell includes many elements and levels that are not described in the Bible.

Dante's vision of Hell is based on his own personal beliefs and experiences, as well as the teachings of his time, which included both Christian and classical sources. His depiction of Hell is primarily a work of fiction, intended to convey moral and theological ideas through vivid imagery and allegory.

The word hades from the Greek was used as a counterpart to the Hebrew word sheol and is more accurately defined as a state rather then a place.

We have adapted the meaning, which the Greeks have put upon this word, and we have been synonymous in our definition with sheol, hades, gehenna, katakaio, and tartaros as that of eternal torment….. Those are the words used that have been translated into our one English word hell; they are not the same.

Gravedom is a word coined by Bullinger…. and is a great word for hell; it is the state, reign or time period of being in the grave; I am not talking about the grave itself which employs the Greek word (qeber). I am speaking of the time when one takes his last breath, until the return of our savior Jesus Christ.

We must disregard the meaning that is placed on the word hell today. The Bibles’ definition is…. “the state of being when one dies,” it’s a continuing state until the resurrection.” That’s it ….it is that simple, and that defined in the Bible.

Sheol {Hebrew} Old Testament and Hades {Greek}New Teatament are basically the two words I am addressing, both meaning grave or gravedom.
Sheol is translated grave 31 times, hell 31 times, and pit 3 times.
Hades is translated hell 10, times and grave 1 time.

Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible {1962 vol. 1 p788} states “

The English word hell has taken on the mythological Greek meaning associated with the pagan god of the underworld where the dead continue to live on in torment….

The standard for truth in defining words has got to come from the Bible itself, not from the meaning (s) attached to it, which is where the confusion comes in.
In Greek mythology Hades was the god of the underworld and his name came to represent this fictitious place that we understand as Hell. The Septuagint was a second century B.C. Greek translation of the Old Testament, and in it the word Hades was chosen as the counterpart to the Hebrew Sheol.

As is done with Sheol, many English versions of the Bible erroneously translate the Greek word Hades as hell rather than grave.

The Old Testament is the fountain-head of the Hebrew language. It has no literature behind it. But the case is entirely different with the Greek language The Hebrew word Sheol is divine in its origin and usage. The Greek Hades is human in its nature and come down laden with centuries of development, in which it has acquired new senses, meaning and usages.
Nowhere in the Old Testament is the abode of the dead regarded as a place of punishment or torment. The concept of an infernal “hell” developed in Israel only during the Hellenistic period.

As with anything in the Bible context determines the usage …Determing the use of the words sheol, hades, gehenna, katakaio, and tartaros and their meaning according to context will help to distinguish the truth….

There is not eternal torment for those who rejected God there is annihilation (in fire)… The only thing(s) that burn for some time is the devil and devil spirit… Rev_ 20:10 translates aiōnforever and ever” …It is for a period of time, but not eternity …possibly because it takes longer to utterly destroy spirit beings ….don’t know.

• Useful
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
God on the other hand needed no such control.
God always encourages me to be the person he wants me to be. He almost pleads with me to quit being self destructive and to do right and take good care of myself.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
True. Dante's 9 Circles of Hell reflect his own vision and values.
The Bible does say in several places that people should not add to or take away from the words of the Bible. For example, Deuteronomy 4:2, says, "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you." Similarly, Proverbs 30:6, says, "Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar."

In the New Testament, the book of Revelation contains a similar warning. Revelation 22:18-19, says, "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

These passages emphasize the importance of treating the Bible with reverence and respect, and not altering its content or message.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I wonder though how many are familiar with "The Divine Comedy". I know I'm not. Whereas I'm very familiar with the Biblical usage of the word "Hell" for Sheol, Gehenna, Hades and Tartarus. What most Christians go by when it comes to what Hell (Hades) is like, is found in The Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31). And of course the Lake of Fire in Revelation.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,059.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The only detailed account of Hell is given by prophet Enoch in the Book of Enoch.

The features of hell is identical to the modern imagery of the center of our galaxy.

A deeper understanding of scriptures will reveal that 'Angels' are interchangeable with 'Stars' and I mean real stars of superhot giant balls of glowing gas in space. Those stars and stars are alive. They are living beings. We cannot perceive it because celestial bodies exist in an 'eternal' time scale compared to ours. Everything with them happens so slowly to even allow us to recognize for signs of life or even intelligence.

Enoch described the fallen angels around hell and this matched the observed stars closely orbiting the black hole at the center of our galaxy. And there's 'pillars', etc. Also found near the vicinity of the black hole at the center of our galaxy. More details are given and everything matched.

Here's the most interesting part. Because of 'time dilation' near the black hole, should you fall into a black hole, you will witness your death quickly. It will be a swift death for you but to outside observers, it will look like you're falling in very slo motion. Very slow as if the time has stopped and your death would appear happening for eternity (eternal torment). But for you, you died a quick death.

The glowing accretion disc of a black hole looks like a lake of fire, literally. Some galaxies in space, the entirety of it looks like one big giant lake of fire. But the accretion disc of a black hole fits the description more aptly because it glows a lot brighter than the rest of the galaxy.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was created for Satan and his angels it was not made for man. Made for makes one thing since there was no place found in heaven for Satan God made a place for Satan where God is not there. It will all be tossed into the fire. This is written doubting changes nothing.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Among the various bibles I own, I have a New American Bible (a Catholic version - different from the New American Standard version), and the word 'hell' is not in there at all. This doesn't mean that the concept can't be read into the passages where the word appears in other versions, but its absence from this particular version is rather refreshing.

As an aside, I was talking about God with a Muslim lady and she was sharing how in hell God will continuously re-create your heart so you can experience pain there, since pains of the heart (emotional) are the worst one can experience. I had read about this belief elsewhere, but it - ironically - hurt my heart to hear her say this. (This wasn't the only thing we discussed; primarily the conversation was about doing everything as though doing it for God, and during the course of which I shared with her a passage from scripture about that, and about a favorite Carmelite monk of mine from the 1600s who wrote a book about this - 'The Practice of the Presence of God').

Later, though, I realized that my own belief in the probability of reincarnation contains pretty much the same concept as the one the Muslim shared with me about hell, only instead of just the heart being recreated continuously, the entire body is recreated (or, more precisely, a new body is given your soul to put on) so you can experience the full spectrum - including pain - all over again in another life. I know some religions aim to escape this cycle (I think some call it 'samsara'), but since I see life as a gift (most of the time, anyway), I have no problem with the notion of diving back in again in the future, at least after a little rest in Paradise first, and a heart-to-heart chat with my Lord.

Anyway, fascinating stuff. So many beliefs ('bleefs' for short). :)

Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Who does so?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Bible does say in several places that people should not add to or take away from the words of the Bible. For example, Deuteronomy 4:2, says, "Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you." Similarly, Proverbs 30:6, says, "Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar."

In the New Testament, the book of Revelation contains a similar warning. Revelation 22:18-19, says, "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll."

These passages emphasize the importance of treating the Bible with reverence and respect, and not altering its content or message.
Again, who is doing so? Dante? As far as I know Dante never called his work Scripture.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Luke chapter 16. Richman ended up in hell. Sheol is called hell. Theirs two sides of the gulf. Paradise on one side and sheol other side. Righteous in paradise and wicked in sheol. Those in sheol, or hell, are waiting for judgement day. I documented this.

Upvote 0