Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"But I know that you want to continue to believe that the wages of sin is for sinners to be tortured alive forever in Hell when they die."

That is NOT TRUE, Timmy.

That is not what I believe.

People can either read what I write, or put words in my mouth

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll try to dialogue with you again Der Alter. But if you again try to talk down to me from your high chair of academia I again will stop responding to any of your posts.

Please explain what you mean by "talk down to you from [my] high horse of academia"? Do you object to me citing historical sources to support my position?

I don't know and neither do you, which is evidenced by the above 'in bold'. But I don't 'have to' know, I only have to believe what scripture says, and believe 'in consistency' with it. I believe I meet my requirements, but maybe not yours.

So you believe that "death" and "hell' although they are not alive, have no life, will die a second death despite the fact there is no scriptural record of them dying a first death?

Again, as per 'bold', I believe you've answered your own question IMO.

See above.

Part I agree with and part is your opinion. My opinion is death/thanatos of Revelation, is the same as in 1Cor which says death/thanatos is the last enemy to be destroyed. It's in my bible, and it's my understanding of the Greek. I feel I have the Spirit's assurance and therefore it is my theology.

You are aware that, in addition to the second death, there are two different deaths spoken of in Revelation? One death is the point in time cessation of life, that all lving things will experience, the other is the angel of death first mentioned in Exodus. See Rev 6:8.

Rev 6:8 And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.​

There are four horsemen of the apocalypse, sent to exercise God's judgment to the earth. Rev 6:2, a white horse, 6:4, a red horse, and 6:5 a black horse. None of the horsemen of the apocalypse are named except the fourth horsemen, who rode a pale horse. His name was death and hell followed with him and power was given to them. Note the personal pronouns. None of this is accidental, that horseman must be important since he is the only one named. How are these two beings important? Are they only mentioned in this one verse or are they also mentioned in Rev 20:14?

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.​

With the above understanding we don't have to arbitrarily try to explain 20:14 away as figurative. How can death, the point in time cessation of life, which has no physical presence, be cast anywhere? So is hell literally cast into the LOF and death is figuratively cast into the LOF?

Here is another relevant verse.

Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.​

When does scripture say that these people die or are annihilated?

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I can and I have learned things from Hillsage and seen "the one Baptism" in a different light
Humbly I thank you for that accolade Anto9us. Many have been told, what you heard, and not one has ever acknowledged the merit of it, at all. And it is an understanding which I believe was from the Spirit's revealing, as I had never heard that teaching from anyone. But I questioned Him long enough I do believe He answered. IMO, of course. ;)

and answer me "Do you think God LIED when he said "in the day thou shalt eat of it - thou shalt surely DIE?"
I think not. But I do think man has come up with a myopic interpretation of just what that scripture means. The definition of 'a day/yowm' in that verse can be predicated upon an 'associated term'

3117 yowm: a day (as the warm hours), whether lit. (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or fig. (a space of time defined by an associated term), [often used adv.]

GEN 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day/yowmthat the LORD God made the earth AND the heavens,

Yet, when one studies chapter one, we see that God didn't make the earth and the heavens in one 24 hour period of time...or whatever period of time 'a day' meant in chapter one. So we must search the 'context' of the scripture to allow scripture in Chapter 2 to help tell us what time-frame is spoken of there.

And my belief is that 'The day' in verse 2:4 has, as an 'associated term' in verse 5 which says 'before the Lord caused rain'. In other words 'the Antedeluvian day/age'. A day doesn't have to mean 24 hours. How long was 'The DAY of the locomotive'. In this context Adam and Eve died before 'the flood' which was almost a 1000 years after they 'ate'. And what does scripture also tell us? "A DAY is as a 1000 years unto the LORD." So I believe their physical death/grave was their 'wages of sin' curse being fulfilled.

Also the 'Hebraism' of the term "you shall surely die" (YLT dying thou dost die) is the equivalent of a death sentence ("dead man walking"). Even as it is used again later in the book.

YLT Genesis 20:7 and now send back the man's wife, for he {is} inspired, and he doth pray for thee, and live thou; and if thou do not send back, know that dying thou dost die, thou, and all that thou hast.'

an ALTERNATIVE to your bloody ETERNAL TORMENT - yer easy UNIVERSALISM - or your "merciful" ANNIHILATIONISM _

which, while keeping people from suffering, still falls way short of God "willing everyone to come to salvation" - "not willing that any should PERISH"?
I believe you do error here in saying 'yer easy UNIVERSALISM' and 'which keeps people from suffering'. What is easier about the suffering of Christ for your entrance into life, as opposed to an unbeliever (in this age)? There is no difference in my book. And as far as no suffering, I certainly do not believe that either. I don't believe that, for 'saints or unbelievers', since scripture affirms that even those who say yes to Jesus here/now can still go through the fire of judgment, and it is that very fire which saves them.

1CO 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
ok - I retract "easy universalism" - I have read Barclay on Universalism, would not call it 'easy' - I have read much Origen - and certainly would not call THAT "easy universalism" if even it can be said to be universalism at all - but rather a prolonged-but-not-endless "reconditioning in hell" - Origen did not entirely rule out the possibility of even Satan repenting in the end - but there is nothing "easy" about that either...

as far as YOM in Gen 2:4 - I too say it is not a 24 hr "day" but like unto saying "Roberto Clemente in his DAY was a great outfielder" - Clemente surely played several seasons

To me - ALL of 2:4 introduces the Adam/Eve creation - I do not split it up into 2:4a "belonging to" what went before and only 2:4b "introducing what follows...

There was DEATH introduced to Adam in the DAY they ate the fruit - I do not say a 24-hr day - but WITHIN ADAM AND EVE'S natural lifetime they experienced this "death" - else perhaps maybe they would still be kickin

This is the UNORTHODOX FORUM - goldang it - we could say that Universalism is an option if we want to! In HERE we could say that - I am just not sure that I want to - I caint totally buy into Universalism, eternal torment, or annihilation

I WANT THAT FOURTH ALTERNATIVE! or FIFTH - or Sixth or whatever

I will not put God in a box

Adam did not have to "die" within a 24 hr day - I am not big on 24 hr yoms - but I think he had to experience a "DEATH"

WITHIN HIS LFETIME - so to speak - or rather - within what would have been his "natural" lifetime - which - for all we know - he might have lived indefinitely if it hadn't been for that furshlugginer fruit!

WE're all just DEAD MEN WALKIN except someone rigged a PARDON right before we go into the gas chamber - we GET OFF but don't deserve it

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Oh - I wanted to get on and I couldn't

and I talked for so long today with my friend

and I am full of head-knowledge and I think I know THIS and and I'm sure I know THAT

and she is not a bunch of head knowledge - she is a fountain of the Holy Spirit

and I am a bunch of quotes from books and she is a force of nature, you know, a waterfall, a spring, a peaceful pond

and I say "I am on the message board and there are so many Christians" and she simply asks

"Are you LOVING them or are you ARGUING with them?"

and Oh God - I am the one supposed to be older and wiser but I'm not

so I love all you guys - eternal tormenters - annihilationists - universalists - whatever

wish I could play like Bob Bennett

"Lord of the past" - Bing Videos

Upvote 0
A

Awaken4Christ

Please explain what you mean by "talk down to you from [my] high horse of academia"? Do you object to me citing historical sources to support my position?

Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.​
When does scripture say that these people die or are annihilated?

Hold the bus, I believe you have used Rev 9:6 out of context.
Here is what comes right before that verse.

'then out of the smoke locusts came upon the earth. And to them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power. 4 They were commanded not to harm the grass of the earth, or any green thing, or any tree, but only those men who do not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 And they were not given authority to kill them, but to torment them for five months. Their torment was like the torment of a scorpion when it strikes a man. 6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them"

Nothing about everlasting torment about that verse nor being annihilated. It sounded like you inferred this made a case about refuting annihilation but you would be wrong in that respect.

To me the easiest understanding I currently have of death and hell being thrown into the lake of fire is that no one will die after death and hell is thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:4

"And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away"

Now you might try to argue that since it says there is no more death that the wicked will not die in the lof but instead be tormented there forever.
but If we apply that rule to the verse then shouldn't we include also that sorrow, crying, and pain be non-existent. So that would make hell a pretty chill place with no sorrow, crying, or pain.

You might also try to argue that rev 21:4 is strictly referring to the saved.
but isnt this a pretty broad statement that includes his creation: "THERE SHALL BE NO MORE" and also the "FORMER THINGS ARE PASSED AWAY."

to me this sounds like what wasn't saved will eventually be completely gone.

Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"But I know that you want to continue to believe that the wages of sin is for sinners to be tortured alive forever in Hell when they die."

That is NOT TRUE, Timmy.

That is not what I believe.

People can either read what I write, or put words in my mouth
If you do not believe that sinners are tortured alive in hell forever when they die, why are you disagreeing with me? I just believe what the Bible says. If someone is conscious of torture after they die, then they are not dead, and the wages of sin is not death, and the Bible is wrong. I don't believe that the Bible is wrong, so I have to disagree with you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Timothew

Conditionalist
Aug 24, 2009
✟21,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Again - once more - did Adam and Eve DIE

in the day that they ate the forbidden fruit?

(It is a YES or NO question -

YES - God told the truth

NO - God lied)

what say ye?

No, Adam and Eve did not die the same day they ate the forbidden fruit. God did not say that would die that very day. The Hebrew should be translated "Dying you will die". God did not lie, Adam and Eve did die. Genesis 5:5 says "Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died." According to the Bible, Adam and Eve did not die the day they ate the fruit. The day they sinned is the day that death came into the world, but they did not die that day. God in His mercy provided a substitute death for them. An animal was slaughtered, and the animal's skin was made into clothing for Adam and Eve.

On sin and death, read Romans 5

Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned— To be sure, sin was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not charged against anyone’s account where there is no law. Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.
But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God’s grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many! Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man’s sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No, I object to your attitude that someone could have actually heard God speak something contrary to 'those sources'.

I believe Augustine said it best on his deathbed when; according to what I've read, he died, returned and said "ALL I HAVE WRITTEN IS BUT STRAW."...then died again. And yet academia quotes him/others as though they had 'all the truth'.

So you believe that "death" and "hell' although they are not alive, have no life, will die a second death despite the fact there is no scriptural record of them dying a first death?
No, I do not believe that.

You are aware that, in addition to the second death, there are two different deaths spoken of in Revelation? One death is the point in time cessation of life, that all lving things will experience, the other is the angel of death first mentioned in Exodus. See Rev 6:8.
Please share which death, in Exodus, you believe is different than cessation of life?

Here is another relevant verse.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
When Paul said "I die daily" he was not talking about his body keeling over. So I agree with you there is more than one death.
Let me also just share this, concerning the "pale horse" and Revelation. I follow a wholly symbolic interpretation of the book. A brief comment on the horsemen isn't even appropriate for this forum.

TO ALL,

I will not be posting for a couple of days because my mother died last Wednesday and we have to go to Hays this morning to help clean out the house so it can be sold.

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nonsense! I have been a Christian for a few decades and in the ministry 1 decade less. I have only heard one sermon about Hell and I preached it almost 3 decades ago. The title was "Lessons from Hell University"
:doh:Lessons from the University of God's Bible about Hell (the grave) abode of the dead, Otherwise you also will be hewn down.:

Romans 11:22 Therefore consider the goodness and cutting off by God: on those who fell, a cutting off; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be hewn down. NKJV
It properly denotes cutting off—(ἀποτομίαν)—from (ἀποτεμνω), to cut off; and is commonly applied to the act of the gardener or vine dresser in trimming trees or vines, and cutting off the decayed or useless branches. Notes on the New Testament Explanatory and Practical.

In hell the ancient form of death, which was one of the enemies destroyed by Christ, shall not continue, but a death of a far different kind reigns there, "everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord": an abiding testimony of the victory of Christ.A Commentary: Critical, Experimental, and Practical on the Old and New Testaments.

How about we read the rest of the story and not just one verse. Who do you think the frogs are?
Rev 16:13 — Then I saw three evil spirits like frogs come out of the mouths of the serpent, the beast, and the false prophet.

Rev 20:8 — He will go out to deceive Gog and Magog, the nations in the four corners of the earth, and gather them for war. They will be as numerous as the grains of sand on the seashore.

Do you think the fowls left some to be punished in a destructive fire after they had eaten their flesh? Wouldn't that simply cremate them into ashes and smoke.

Rev 19:21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Rev 19:19 And I saw the beast, the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his hosts.
στράτευμα armament, army, host; archaic an army Concise Oxford English Dictionary

Rev 19:20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. [AND CREMATED]

Rev 19:21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are there 4 CORNERS of the earth?

Why is Gog/Magog in ALL 4 corners?

hmmm

Hillsage - I hope that Paul saying he "dies daily"

doesn't constitute a new BAPTISM every single day!

Could I start a NEW DENOMINATION

based on

"Daily Se-Anabaptism?"

Let's just make every SHOWER a daily baptism - and if ya miss a day -

ya go into the Lake of Fire!

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are there 4 CORNERS of the earth?

Why is Gog/Magog in ALL 4 corners?

hmmm

Hillsage - I hope that Paul saying he "dies daily"

doesn't constitute a new BAPTISM every single day!

Could I start a NEW DENOMINATION

based on

"Daily Se-Anabaptism?"

Let's just make every SHOWER a daily baptism - and if ya miss a day -

ya go into the Lake of Fire!

Tub immersion or shower sprinkling?

I see a split in the making.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Rev 9:1And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment [was] as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts [were] like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads [were] as it were crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as the faces of men.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as [the teeth] of lions.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, [which is] the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue [is] Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath [his] name Apollyon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
why does a scorpion sting last FIVE MONTHS?

How many times can the "green grass of the earth" be burnt up in the book of Revelation?

a THIRD of it here - ALL of it there - huh?

How many times can "the stars fall from heaven?"

Did any of the stars land on Benny Hinn?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Rev 9:1And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts [were] like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads [were] as it were crowns like gold, and their faces [were] as the faces of men.
copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings [was] as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
i_blank9.gif

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power [was] to hurt men five months.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, [which is] the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue [is] Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath [his] name Apollyon.
I am assuming that you know who he is that was given the KEY to the bottomless pit?

Revelation 1:17-18 (ESV)17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last,
18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore
, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Revelation 9:7 (ESV) In appearance the locusts were like horses prepared for battle: on their heads were what looked like crowns of gold; their faces were like human faces,

Joel 2:5 — As with the rumbling of chariots, they leap on the tops of the mountains, like the crackling of a flame of fire devouring the stubble, like a powerful army drawn up for battle.

Jeremiah 8:3 (ESV) Death shall be preferred to life by all the remnant that remains of this evil family in all the places where I have driven them, declares the LORD of hosts.

It properly denotes cutting off—(ἀποτομίαν)—from (ἀποτεμνω), to cut off; and is commonly applied to the act of the gardener or vine dresser in trimming trees or vines, and cutting off the decayed or useless branches.
Here it refers to the act of God in cutting off or rejecting the useless branches; and conveys no idea of injustice, cruelty, or harshness. It was a just act, and consistent with all the perfections of God.
Notes on the New Testament Explanatory and Practical.

Now I assume that you know who the KING is over them that said I died, and behold I am alive forevermore and I have the keys of Death and Hades. ?

Revelation 9:11 (ESV) They have as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit. His name in Hebrew is Abaddon, a destroying angel and in Greek he is called the destroyer

Exodus 12:23 (KJV)
Ex 23 For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians; and when he seeth the blood upon the lintel, and on the two side posts, the LORD will pass over the door, and will not suffer the destroyer to come in unto your houses to smite you.

Exodus 12:29 (KJV) And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle.

Rev 9:18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I object to your attitude that someone could have actually heard God speak something contrary to 'those sources'.

You bet I do. I know of too many individuals and groups who make the same claim. I admit that any one of the ECF might be wrong on some point or another but I do not accept someone saying that they know that one, or all, of the ECF are wrong because they "actually heard God speak something contrary to 'those sources'" Turn that around how receptive would you be if I told you that I know the ECF I quote are right because I "actually heard God speaking" telling me that they were right? I am convvinced that you would be very quick to tell me that I am dead wrong.

I believe Augustine said it best on his deathbed when; according to what I've read, he died, returned and said "ALL I HAVE WRITTEN IS BUT STRAW."...then died again. And yet academia quotes him/others as though they had 'all the truth'.

Do you actually believe that Augustine died, returned and said what you claim? He might have shown some modesty on his death bed. Was Paul actually the chief of sinners as he said he was?

1 Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.​

Please share which death, in Exodus, you believe is different than cessation of life?

Irrelevant. I was talking about death in Revelation.

When Paul said "I die daily" he was not talking about his body keeling over. So I agree with you there is more than one death.
Let me also just share this, concerning the "pale horse" and Revelation. I follow a wholly symbolic interpretation of the book. A brief comment on the horsemen isn't even appropriate for this forum.

Ah yes. The old "symbolic" evasion. I agree that there is symbolism in Revelation but a "symbol" represents something literal, actual. And whatever the actuality is John named only one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. That is not an accident, it is not a passing irrelevant detail, that name means something that we are supposed to know.

You have my sympathies. I lost my mother when I was 12.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lessons from the University of God's Bible about Hell (the grave) abode of the dead, Otherwise you also will be hewn down.:

Romans 11:22 Therefore consider the goodness and cutting off by God: on those who fell, a cutting off; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be hewn down. NKJV
It properly denotes cutting off—(ἀποτομίαν)—from (ἀποτεμνω), to cut off; and is commonly applied to the act of the gardener or vine dresser in trimming trees or vines, and cutting off the decayed or useless branches. Notes on the New Testament Explanatory and Practical. . . .

We got us a problem here. You say that the word translated "cutting off" in Rom 11:22 is [SIZE="+1"]ἀποτομίαν[/SIZE] The word that is actually used in that verse is [SIZE="+1"]ἐκκοπήσῃ[/SIZE], which is a form of the word [SIZE="+1"]ἐκκόπτω[/SIZE] which means "to exscind; figuratively to frustrate: - cut down (off, out), hew down, hinder."

Here are two verses which use this word, [SIZE="+1"]ἐκκόπτω[/SIZE].

2 Cor 11:12 But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off [[SIZE="+1"]ἐκκόπτω[/SIZE]]. occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we.

1 Pet 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. [[SIZE="+1"]ἐκκόπτω[/SIZE]]​

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We got us a problem here. You say that the word translated "cutting off" in Rom 11:22 is [SIZE=+1]ἀποτομίαν[/SIZE]
Okay, if you insist I like that word ἐκκόπτω it is a metaph., cut off, make an end of, eradicate, extirpate Henry George Liddell. Robert Scott. A Greek-English Lexicon

:confused: But, we are speking of the word ἀποτομίαν. The word severity now suggests sometimes the idea of harshness, or even of cruelty. (Webster.) But nothing of this kind is conveyed in the original word here. It properly denotes cutting off—(ἀποτομίαν)—from (ἀποτεμνω), to cut off; and is commonly applied to the act of the gardener or vine dresser in trimming trees or vines, and cutting off the decayed or useless branches.

Here it refers to the act of God in cutting off or rejecting the useless branches; and conveys no idea of injustice, cruelty, or harshness. It was a just act, and consistent with all the perfections of God.
Notes on the New Testament Explanatory and Practical.

Ro 21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

22 Behold therefore the goodness and cutting off by God: on them which fell, a cutting off; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be extirpated.
extirpated verb destroy completely; eradicate
Concise Oxford English Dictionary

(v. t.) To pluck up by the stem or root; to root out; to eradicate, literally or figuratively; to destroy wholly; as, to extirpate weeds; to extirpate a tumor; to extirpate a sect; to extirpate error or heresy.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

to extirpate weeds [TARES] Matthew 13:30 (KJV) Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them up: but gather the wheat into my repository

From ESV Xref: you too will be cut off

Jn 15:2 — Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

Luke 13:8-9 (KJV) And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt extirpate it. [as, to extirpate weeds]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.