sg
✟214,848.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A- Thinker wanted a reply to the above statement in another tread as it was off topic I am posting it here

and will reply later

Do you think the Law is written in our hearts? Will we still sin?

Do we need pastors and teachers to teach us to "know the Lord' or do all of us know him equally?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi OHC,

Yes, could we have the applicable Hebrew writings that support the claim?

God bless,
Ted
Hebrews 8

6 But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.

8 For he finds fault with them when he says:

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord,
when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah,
9 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers
on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt.

For they did not continue in my covenant,
and so I showed no concern for them, declares the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel
after those days
, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws into their minds,
and write them on their hearts,
and I will be their God,
and they shall be my people.
11 And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor
and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
for they shall all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful toward their iniquities,
and I will remember their sins no more.”

13 In speaking of a new covenant, he makes the first one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the Law is written in our hearts? Will we still sin?

Do we need pastors and teachers to teach us to "know the Lord' or do all of us know him equally?
The new covenant is in the process of being implemented. When complete, it will feature all that you have stated here ...

• Friendly
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The new covenant is in the process of being implemented. When complete, it will feature all that you have stated here ...

I believe we are under the New Covenant now.

If you notice the Bible itself is divided into two. The Old Testament (or the old Covenant), and the New Testament (or the New Covenant).

While it is true there is an "already and a not yet" about it as we await the Lord's second coming, but I personally do not believe we are only partially under the New or that we still have aspects of the old Testament in force. We are fully under the New Covenant right now, and live in accordance with its principles - as seen in those passages of Jeremiah.

You as a Christian don't need me to share the Lord with you, you know Him and I believe His law is written on your heart. That's not to mean as Christians we don't need encouraging in the faith so long as we are in this fallen world, but you know the truth when you hear it, and you know wrong before you do it .. you may struggle, but you know in the core of your being..

it is God who gives the increase..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Justin_Mary

Aug 18, 2021
Texas
✟9,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I heard an explanation of the Sabbath/Lords day that I think is relevant here.

something like in the old covenant man would work all week, rest on the Sabbath, waiting for the Messiah.

in the new covenant man encounters the Lord, is nourished, strengthened, & prepared to go to work.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,848.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe we are under the New Covenant now.

If you notice the Bible itself is divided into two. The Old Testament (or the old Covenant), and the New Testament (or the New Covenant).

While it is true there is an "already and a not yet" about it as we await the Lord's second coming, but I personally do not believe we are only partially under the New or that we still have aspects of the old Testament in force. We are fully under the New Covenant right now, and live in accordance with its principles - as seen in those passages of Jeremiah.

You as a Christian don't need me to share the Lord with you, you know Him and I believe His law is written on your heart. That's not to mean as Christians we don't need encouraging in the faith so long as we are in this fallen world, but you know the truth when you hear it, and you know wrong before you do it .. you may struggle, but you know in the core of your being..

it is God who gives the increase..

So if Christians are still sinning now, does that mean the Law is not written in their hearts?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
A- Thinker wanted a reply to the above statement in another tread as it was off topic I am posting it here

and will reply later

While we are under the New Covenant and not the Mosaic Covenant, we are nevertheless still under the same God with the same nature and therefore the same laws for how to act in accordance with His nature. The way to act in accordance with God's nature is straightforwardly based on God's nature, not on any particular covenant, and God's nature is eternal, so any instructions that God has ever given for how to do that are eternally valid regardless of which covenant someone is under, if any. Likewise, sin was in the world before the law was given (Romans 5:13), so there were no actions that became sinful when it was given, but rather the law revealed what has always been and will always be sinful.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So if Christians are still sinning now, does that mean the Law is not written in their hearts?

No... knowing the right doesn't prevent anyone from doing what's wrong...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,848.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No... knowing the right doesn't prevent anyone from doing what's wrong...

Do you then think that, after the 2nd coming of Christ, when we are living in the heavens in our new body, we can still choose to sin?

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
sin was in the world before the law was given (Romans 5:13)

Sin was in heaven before the creation of this world

Before the entrance of evil there was peace and joy throughout the universe. All was in perfect harmony with the Creator's will. Love for God was supreme, love for one another impartial. Christ the Word, the Only Begotten of God, was one with the eternal Father,—one in nature, in character, and in purpose,—the only being in all the universe that could enter into all the counsels and purposes of God. By Christ the Father wrought in the creation of all heavenly beings. "By Him were all things created, that are in heaven, . . . whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers" (Colossians 1:16); and to Christ, equally with the Father, all heaven gave allegiance.

The law of love being the foundation of the government of God, the happiness of all created beings depended upon their perfect accord with its great principles of righteousness. God desires from all His creatures the service of love—homage that springs from an intelligent appreciation of His character. He takes no pleasure in a forced allegiance, and to all He grants freedom of will, that they may render Him voluntary service.

But there was one that chose to pervert this freedom. Sin originated with him who, next to Christ, had been most honored of God and who stood highest in power and glory among the inhabitants of heaven. Before his fall, Lucifer was [494] first of the covering cherubs, holy and undefiled. "Thus saith the Lord God; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering. . . .Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee." Ezekiel 28:12-15.

The Great Controversy
Chapter 29: The Origin of Evil

Upvote 0