Hebrews 8 shows us that Christ gave the TEN Commandments - Christ's Commandments

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gal 1:6-9 says there is only "ONE Gospel" and that it was "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8 so you are making a very good point.

Gen 12:3 I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."

Paul confirms below that Christ is the promise made to Abraham, and the temporary nature of the Sinai Covenant.
Paul said the law was "added" 430 years after the promise made to Abraham "till" the seed (Christ) could come to whom the promise was made.

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, "And to seeds," as of many, but as of one, "AND TO YOUR SEED," who is Christ.
Gal 3:17 And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirty years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect.
Gal 3:18 For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19 What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator.

This is one of those passages Adventists have to ignore or explain away to make their doctrine work.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟657,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Turns out - He made the moral law of God "For mankind" Mark 2:27 Rom 3:19-20
Turns out - you continue to change the meaning of Mk 2:27. The old covenant Law was made for man, not for mankind, as you keep adding to the Word.

Also - turns out Rom 3: 20 what God made for Jew man is no longer required by the Jews. Rom 3:21 But now God has shown us (Jews) a way to be made right with him without keeping the requirements of the law, as was promised in the writings of Moses and the prophets long ago. 22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.
Amen! You have to realize Paul was writing to Jews in Rome.

Turns out - "more than just Jews" are not supposed to take God's name in vain.
Absolutely, when we put our trust in Jesus, accept Him into our hearts and love Him and all His children we wouldn't even think about using His name in vain nor would we do any of the hundreds of wrongs to anyone. We rely on the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as our guide. You, on the other hand, depend on the Law to make us right with God. Yep, read verses 21 and 22 again brother. Your prophet lied through her teeth when she wrote: But if we turn aside from the fourth commandment, so positively given by God, to adopt the inventions of Satan, voiced and acted by men under his control, we cannot be saved. We cannot with safety receive his traditions and subtleties as truth. {RH, July 6, 1897 par. 4}

Turns out - "more than just the Jews" are supposed to Love God with all their heart.
Yes, Jesus made that very clear in Jn15:9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟398,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you remove the law, then there is no sin.
If you include the law, then you are guilty of sin.

"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to
the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" (Rev. 22:14).

Revelation specifically shows that those who break one of at least four of
the ten commandments will be outside God's city (Revelation 22:15).

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to
the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city" (Rev. 22:14).

Revelation specifically shows that those who break one of at least four of
the ten commandments will be outside God's city (Revelation 22:15).
Who are the dogs in Revelation 22:15?

Why is sorcery mentioned in Revelation 22:15, sorcery is a ceremonial law?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That is not true. Christ does not say that Deut 6:5 "Love God with all your heart" and Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself" -- are there to "delete all the Law and the prophets" in Matt 22 -- rather he says they are the firm foundation for all of it.

In Matt 19 when Christ said "KEEP the Commandments" and is asked "which ones" - he does not even mention "Love God with all your heart".
Yet Bob, you deleted the law and the prophets in order to hang on to the ten commandments.

You deleted 98% of the law and 100% of any commandments that God gave in the prophets.

Your telling me not to delete the law, while you delete everything in the law?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yet Bob, you deleted the law and the prophets in order to hang on to the ten commandments.

Not me...

Where you thinking of the "Baptist Confession of Faith" Sectn 19?
Or maybe the "Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19?

I have a lot more of the OT that I admit is the Word of God than "just the TEN" - as we both know.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But in Jn 15 Jesus is telling us that he indeed kept the laws

Indeed... He did not "take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
And He DID "love God with all His heart" Deut 6:5
And He DID "Love His neighbor as Himself" Lev 19:18

But He did not "open the flood gates to rebellion against the Word of God"

I don't believe anyone is stating that the Law of the old covenant was not perfect. God doesn't make anything that isn't perfect. The fact is it was made for only one nation.

Turns out - "more than just the Jews" are supposed to Love God with all their heart.

Obviously.

Bob S.
Turns out - you continue to change the meaning of Mk 2:27.

Not in real life. in real life I quote it "the Sabbath was made for mankind"

Just as I quote Matt 4 "Mankind shall not live by bread alone"

Just as I quote Heb 9 "It is appointed once for each member mankind to die - then comes the judgment"

The Jer 31:31-34 NEW COVENANT writes the moral law of God (known to Jeremiah and his readers) on the heart and mind.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Yes, Jesus made that very clear in Jn15:9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. 11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. 13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

There is no "you are to love God" in your John 15 quote.

you knew that... right?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟657,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is no "you are to love God" in your John 15 quote.

you knew that... right?
Wrong, He acknowledges that we love Him. He asks us to Remain in His love.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟657,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bob Ryan wrote:
What is this "moral law of God" you keep telling us about? Where do I find anyplace in all of scripture about the moral law? The fact is that a law called the moral law is not mentioned. The fact is that all of God's laws to Israel were moral as compared to immoral. Were all those laws ever given to all mankind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not me...

I have a lot more of the OT that I admit is the Word of God than "just the TEN" - as we both know.
You tell others they are deleting the law, when you do exactly the same thing.

You deleted the law and the prophets in order to hang on to the ten commandments.

You deleted 98% of the law and 100% of any commandments that God gave to the prophets.

Your telling me not to delete the law, while you delete everything else in the law?

You deleted a score of sexual laws.

You deleted the law against kidnapping.

You deleted the laws against sorcery and witchcraft.

You even deleted the law against afflicting orphans, that staggers me.

You deleted God's warning against gluttony and drunkenness.

You deleted the commandment to not love mammon.

You deleted the commandment against loving this world.

On and on it goes.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Blessed are those who do His commandments,

What are "His commandments" recorded in the Book of Revelation by the Apostle John?

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Wrong, He acknowledges that we love Him. He asks us to Remain in His love.

Remaining in His protection is not the same as "Love God with all your heart".

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What are "His commandments" recorded in the Book of Revelation by the Apostle John?

1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Paul says His commandments are such that "'Honor your father and mother' is the first commandment WITH a promise" Eph 6:2 which is distinctly true in that UNIT of TEN.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Not me...

You tell others they are deleting the law, when you do exactly the same thing.

I affirm the obvious Bible details already affirmed on BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate as we see in the case of

the "Baptist Confession of Faith" Sectn 19
the "Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19

obviously

only in my case - I affirm all of the Bible as "the Word of God" all 66 books.

Aside from objecting to each point listed - do you have an actual position???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul says His commandments are such that "'Honor your father and mother' is the first commandment WITH a promise" Eph 6:2 which is distinctly true in that UNIT of TEN.

Paul also told the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31.

He also contrasted the two covenants in 2 Corinthians 3:6-8.

We are not come to Mount Sinai in Hebrews 12:18. We are come instead to the New Covenant of Mount Zion in Hebrews 12:22-24.

The New Covenant has made the Old Covenant "obsolete" in Hebrews 8:13.

Why do you and the promoters of the man-made confessions you constantly use as your proof have to ignore these passages?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul also told the Galatian believers to "cast out" the Sinai Covenant of "bondage" in Galatians 4:24-31.

At Sinai we have

"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18
"do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
"honor your father and mother" Ex 20:12, Eph 6:2

And later Moses says
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5

==============

Paul explicitly quotes and affirms all of them for Christians in Rom 13 except
"Do no take God's name in vain"
"Love God with all your heart"

Christ affirms "Love God with all your heart" in Matt 22.

So when Paul says "what matters is KEEPING the commandments of God" in 1 Cor 7:19 he is including the TEN having "'honor your father and mother' as the first commandment WITH a promise" Eph 6:2 and is including the TEN having "do not covet" as one of them - as Paul shows us in Rom 7 and Rom 13.

So while the nation covenant ends along with animal sacrifices, the moral law of God that defines what sin is Rom 3:19-20 1 John 3:4 remains.

Most of these Bible details are the very same ones that Bible scholars on BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate freely admit to - as we already saw in these two examples:
  • the "Baptist Confession of Faith" Sectn 19
  • the "Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At Sinai we have

"Love your neighbor as yourself" Lev 19:18
"do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7
"honor your father and mother" Ex 20:12, Eph 6:2

And later Moses says
"Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5

==============

Paul explicitly quotes and affirms all of them for Christians in Rom 13 except
"Do no take God's name in vain"
"Love God with all your heart"

Christ affirms "Love God with all your heart" in Matt 22.

So when Paul says "what matters is KEEPING the commandments of God" in 1 Cor 7:19 he is including the TEN having "'honor your father and mother' as the first commandment WITH a promise" Eph 6:2 and is including the TEN having "do not covet" as one of them - as Paul shows us in Rom 7 and Rom 13.

So while the nation covenant ends along with animal sacrifices, the moral law of God that defines what sin is Rom 3:19-20 1 John 3:4 remains.

Most of these Bible details are the very same ones that Bible scholars on BOTH sides of the Sabbath debate freely admit to - as we already saw in these two examples:
  • the "Baptist Confession of Faith" Sectn 19
  • the "Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19

Do you command all Adventists to circumcise their male offspring?

Can you show us the words "New Covenant" in the Westminster Confession of Faith, or in the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith? How can those who wrote these two documents understand the New Covenant if they cannot even find it in the Bible?

Col 2:16 Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of the coming things, and the body is of the Christ; (YLT)

Early Church Fathers who lived before the Council of Nicaea comment on the Sabbath:

Ignatius of Antioch

If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord’s Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death—whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master(Letter to the Magnesians(shorter) Chapter IX.—Let us live with Christ [A.D. 110]).

During the Sabbath He continued under the earth in the tomb in which Joseph of Arimathæa had laid Him. At the dawning of the Lord’s day He arose from the dead, according to what was spoken by Himself, “As Jonah was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly, so shall the Son of man also be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.” The day of the preparation, then, comprises the passion; the Sabbath embraces the burial; the Lord’s Day contains the resurrection(The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians Longer Versions. Chapter IX.—Reference to the history of Christ.)

Justin Martyr

The Lawgiver is present, yet you do not see Him; to the poor the Gospel is preached, the blind see, yet you do not understand. You have now need of a second circumcision, though you glory greatly in the flesh. The new law requires you to keep perpetual sabbath, and you, because you are idle for one day, suppose you are pious, not discerning why this has been commanded you: and if you eat unleavened bread, you say the will of God has been fulfilled. The Lord our God does not take pleasure in such observances: if there is any perjured person or a thief among you, let him cease to be so; if any adulterer, let him repent; then he has kept the sweet and true sabbaths of God. If any one has impure hands, let him wash and be pure.(Dialogue with Trypho the Jew Chapter XII.—The Jews violate the eternal law, and interpret ill that of Moses.)

For we too would observe the fleshly circumcision, and the Sabbaths, and in short all the feasts, if we did not know for what reason they were enjoined you,—namely, on account of your transgressions and the hardness of your hearts. For if we patiently endure all things contrived against us by wicked men and demons, so that even amid cruelties unutterable, death and torments, we pray for mercy to those who inflict such things upon us, and do not wish to give the least retort to any one, even as the new Lawgiver commanded us: how is it, Trypho, that we would not observe those rites which do not harm us, —I speak of fleshly circumcision, and Sabbaths, and feasts?(Dialogue with Trypho the Jew Chapter XVIII.—Christians would observe the law, if they did not know why it was instituted. [A.D. 155]).

And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday,1 all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.(First Apology Chapter LXVII.—Weekly worship of the Christians. [A.D. 155]).

“Wherefore, Trypho, I will proclaim to you, and to those who wish to become proselytes, the divine message which I heard from that man. Do you see that the elements are not idle, and keep no Sabbaths? Remain as you were born. For if there was no need of circumcision before Abraham, or of the observance of Sabbaths, of feasts and sacrifices, before Moses; no more need is there of them now, after that, according to the will of God, Jesus Christ the Son of God has been born without sin, of a virgin sprung from the stock of Abraham. For when Abraham himself was in uncircumcision, he was justified and blessed by reason of the faith which he reposed in God, as the Scripture tells. Moreover, the Scriptures and the facts themselves compel us to admit that He received circumcision for a sign, and not for righteousness.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XXIII.—The opinion of the Jews regarding the law does an injury to God.)

“As, then, circumcision began with Abraham, and the Sabbath and sacrifices and offerings and feasts with Moses, and it has been proved they were enjoined on account of the hardness of your people’s heart, so it was necessary, in accordance with the Father’s will, that they should have an end in Him who was born of a virgin, of the family of Abraham and tribe of Judah, and of David; in Christ the Son of God, who was proclaimed as about to come to all the world, to be the everlasting law and the everlasting covenant, even as the forementioned prophecies show.(The Second Apology of Justin for the Christians Addressed to the Roman Senate. Chapter XLIII.—He concludes that the law had an end in Christ, who was born of the Virgin.)

Tertullian

“[L]et him who contends that the Sabbath is still to be observed as a balm of salvation, and circumcision on the eighth day . . . teach us that, for the time past, righteous men kept the Sabbath or practiced circumcision, and were thus rendered ‘friends of God.’ For if circumcision purges a man, since God made Adam uncircumcised, why did he not circumcise him, even after his sinning, if circumcision purges? . . . Therefore, since God originated Adam uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, consequently his offspring also, Abel, offering him sacrifices, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, was by him [God] commended [Gen. 4:1–7, Heb. 11:4]. . . . Noah also, uncircumcised—yes, and unobservant of the Sabbath—God freed from the deluge. For Enoch too, most righteous man, uncircumcised and unobservant of the Sabbath, he translated from this world, who did not first taste death in order that, being a candidate for eternal life, he might show us that we also may, without the burden of the law of Moses, please God”(An Answer to the Jews Chapter II.—The Law Anterior to Moses. [A.D. 203]).

It follows, accordingly, that, in so far as the abolition of carnal circumcision and of the old law is demonstrated as having been consummated at its specific times, so also the observance of the Sabbath is demonstrated to have been temporary.For the Jews say, that from the beginning God sanctified the seventh day, by resting on it from all His works which He made; and that thence it was, likewise, that Moses said to the People: “Remember the day of the sabbaths, to sanctify it: every servile work ye shall not do therein, except what pertaineth unto life.” Whence we (Christians) understand that we still more ought to observe a sabbath from all “servile work” always, and not only every seventh day, but through all time. And through this arises the question for us, what sabbath God willed us to keep? For the Scriptures point to a sabbath eternal and a sabbath temporal. For Isaiah the prophet says, “Your sabbaths my soul hateth;” and in another place he says, “My sabbaths ye have profaned.”9 Whence we discern that the temporal sabbath is human, and the eternal sabbath is accounted divine; concerning which He predicts through Isaiah: “And there shall be,” He says, “month after month, and day after day, and sabbath after sabbath; and all flesh shall come to adore in Jerusalem, saith the Lord;” which we understand to have been fulfilled in the times of Christ, when “all flesh”—that is, every nation—“came to adore in Jerusalem” God the Father, through Jesus Christ His Son, as was predicted through the prophet: “Behold, proselytes through me shall go unto Thee.” Thus, therefore, before this temporal sabbath, there was withal an eternal sabbath foreshown and foretold; just as before the carnal circumcision there was withal a spiritual circumcision foreshown. In short, let them teach us, as we have already premised, that Adam observed the sabbath; or that Abel, when offering to God a holy victim, pleased Him by a religious reverence for the sabbath; or that Enoch, when translated, had been a keeper of the sabbath; or that Noah the ark-builder observed, on account of the deluge, an immense sabbath; or that Abraham, in observance of the sabbath, offered Isaac his son; or that Melchizedek in his priesthood received the law of the sabbath

But the Jews are sure to say, that ever since this precept was given through Moses, the observance has been binding. Manifest accordingly it is, that the precept was not eternal nor spiritual, but temporary, which would one day cease. In short, so true is it that it is not in the exemption from work of the sabbath—that is, of the seventh day—that the celebration of this solemnity is to consist, that Joshua the son of Nun, at the time that he was reducing the city Jericho by war, stated that he had received from God a precept to order the People that priests should carry the ark of the testament of God seven days, making the circuit of the city; and thus, when the seventh day’s circuit had been performed, the walls of the city would spontaneously fall. Which was so done; and when the space of the seventh day was finished, just as was predicted, down fell the walls of the city. Whence it is manifestly shown, that in the number of the seven days there intervened a sabbath-day. For seven days, whencesoever they may have commenced, must necessarily include within them a sabbath-day; on which day not only must the priests have worked, but the city must have been made a prey by the edge of the sword by all the people of Israel. Nor is it doubtful that they “wrought servile work,” when, in obedience to God’s precept, they drave the preys of war. For in the times of the Maccabees, too, they did bravely in fighting on the sabbaths, and routed their foreign foes, and recalled the law of their fathers to the primitive style of life by fighting on the sabbaths. Nor should I think it was any other law which they thus vindicated, than the one in which they remembered the existence of the prescript touching “the day of the sabbaths.” Whence it is manifest that the force of such precepts was temporary, and respected the necessity of present circumstances; and that it was not with a view to its observance in perpetuity that God formerly gave them such a law.(An Answer to the Jews Chapter IV.—Of the Observance of the Sabbath.)

Therefore, since it is manifest that a sabbath temporal was shown, and a sabbath eternal foretold; a circumcision carnal foretold, and a circumcision spiritual pre-indicated; a law temporal and a law eternal formally declared; sacrifices carnal and sacrifices spiritual foreshown; it follows that, after all these precepts had been given carnally, in time preceding, to the people Israel, there was to supervene a time whereat the precepts of the ancient Law and of the old ceremonies would cease, and the promise3 of the new law, and the recognition of spiritual sacrifices, and the promise of the New Testament, supervene;4 while the light from on high would beam upon us who were sitting in darkness, and were being detained in the shadow of death.5 And so there is incumbent on us a necessity6 binding us, since we have premised that a new law was predicted by the prophets, and that not such as had been already given to their fathers at the time when He led them forth from the land of Egypt,7 to show and prove, on the one hand, that that old Law has ceased, and on the other, that the promised new law is now in operation.

And, indeed, first we must inquire whether there be expected a giver of the new law, and an heir of the new testament, and a priest of the new sacrifices, and a purger of the new circumcision, and an observer of the eternal sabbath, to suppress the old law, and institute the new testament, and offer the new sacrifices, and repress the ancient ceremonies, and suppress8 the old circumcision together with its own sabbath, and announce the new kingdom which is not corruptible. Inquire, I say, we must, whether this giver of the new law, observer of the spiritual sabbath, priest of the eternal sacrifices, eternal ruler of the eternal kingdom, be come or no: that, if he is already come, service may have to be rendered him; if he is not yet come, he may have to be awaited, until by his advent it be manifest that the old Law’s precepts are suppressed, and that the beginnings of the new law ought to arise. And, primarily, we must lay it down that the ancient Law and the prophets could not have ceased, unless He were come who was constantly announced, through the same Law and through the same prophets, as to come.(An Answer to the Jews Chapter VI.—Of the Abolition and the Abolisher of the Old Law. [A.D. 203]).

But you, many of you, also under pretence sometimes of worshipping the heavenly bodies, move your lips in the direction of the sunrise. In the same way, if we devote Sun-day to rejoicing, from a far different reason than Sun-worship, we have some resemblance to those of you who devote the day of Saturn to ease and luxury, though they too go far away from Jewish ways, of which indeed they are ignorant.(Apology Chapter XVI.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you command all Adventists to circumcise their male offspring?

1. Did the Bible ever require that of all gentiles? answer: no.
2. Die the heresy in Acts 15:1-2 "invent" that idea? answer - yes.

Upvote 0