Hebrews 6:4-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JacksLadder

Hebrews 6:4-6 (English Standard Version)

4For it is impossible, in the case of those(A) who have once been enlightened, who have tasted(B) the heavenly gift, and(C) have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5and(D) have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and(E) then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since(F) they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

So apparently God's regeneration of you also opens you up to choice. Since before regeneration you don't know God's grace.

Thoughts?

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

4For it is impossible, in the case of those(A) who have once been enlightened, who have tasted(B) the heavenly gift, and(C) have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5and(D) have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6and(E) then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since(F) they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

So apparently God's regeneration of you also opens you up to choice. Since before regeneration you don't know God's grace.

Thoughts?
Rather than hash this out to the point of nauseum again why not do a search of the threads on this passage? I remember one that was quite long not too far in the past.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think that perhaps you really should ask yourself a couple of questions.

I cannot stress enough how much context would apply here.

To whom is the book of Hebrews written to?

What is the theme of Hebrews?

That should answer your questions right there.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

The LORD's Minstrel

↔ ĴĔŜŨŜ ĨŚ ĶĨŇĞ ↔
Mar 12, 2004
Miami,Florida
✟558.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tastedthe heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6andthen have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, sincethey are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.

Thoughts?

ok,verse 4 is the follow up of verse 1-2.The same things that we as Christians go through on a daily basis,is the exact same things they went through back then when Christianity started and was forming.The writer of Hebrews has reconized that all the religious ceremonies Christians started doings,they were consatntly doing over and over and over again.Just as today,we see a thing called Churchianity instead of Christianity.
People back then as same as today,founded their relationship in Jesus leaning more to thinking works once again is the only thing that pleases God.
Obedience is what pleases God.and the only obedience God wants is for all to receive Jesus and believe in what Jesus did.Again the same as then is the same today at times,because back then new Churches and new Christians placed these huge burden on themselves trying to carry this huge load of religious ceremonies such as Baptisms,laying on of hands and whatever else they though was needed as a church.

Now in verse 4-6,Repentence becomes the issue in churches back then,And this is a big one still being lived today.Its like going to a church,everyone in the church is saved already and the preacher gives another sermon on telling everyone repent,repent we must keep repenting and so forth.When in reality everyone has already received Jesus,so that milk of repentance sermon should be put away for another time when someone new comes in,not for those who already are saved.

Because when we keep preaching Christian who are already saved that they should keep repenting,then they will keep thinking that the intitial one time act of recieving Jesus was NOT enough for their repentance.When the truth is,once we accepted and belive in Jesus,that was the only and final act of Repentance that God wants for us.Thats what God wanted the whole time even up to now.
So churches back then as well as today,keep clinging to the milk of the word,instead of moving on to better and maturing things.So repentance became a big problem for new Christians and newly formed churches.Becasue
people then and now when they mess up or back slide in carnal,think they still have to start over everytime,and they once again get on their knees after they sinned and ask Jesus for salvation over again.Therefore they kept DOING the initial prayers of repentance over and over again and kept on asking for salvation everytime they failed their goal as a Christain.
Look,remember the time you received Jesus,well imagine everytime you sinned you just kept going back to that moment you receive jesus and prayed the same prayer asking for salvation over and over again,

The writer of hebrews is saying "Whats are you guys doing,you have already asked for salvation,your have done repentence,your repentance was to admit you needed Jesus,and you have believed in Jesus already,so move on from the milk. Just because you slipped doesnt mean you have to keep rehashing the sinners repentance prayer and start over in Salvation.Stop acting like you are not saved and start living as you are saved"."We must move on to the meat of the word.""ITS IMPOSSIBLE FOR US TO RECEIVE JESUS CHRIST AS OUR LORD AND SAVIOR A SEC"OND TIME,ONCE IS ENOUGH.!!"

Much of this stems from new christiasns who were still doing sinful things,and they only think they need to start over in salvation and the reaske Christ in their lives as their Lord and Savior a second time,and a third time,and a forth time and it kept going and going and going.People didnt want to accept that they will probally sin after they are Christians and they kept thinking "Well I will reask Jesus in my life again and keep doing this tactic until I get it right the way I want it to be."And they keep doing this cycle over and over,then they keep preaching repentance sermons over and over again even when they are already saved and have already REPENTED from an UNBELIEVER to a BEILIEVER.

Henceforth->they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. WHY?Because they wont believe that the one time Death of jesus,has DESTROYED the LAW OF SIN AND DEATH.

I love repeated this next statement because its a wonderful and truthful one.For some self reasoning, Churches and Christians keep thinking that when Jesus was on the Cross that Jesus said " OK everyone,Ill do my part and you all can finish the rest". Jesus said "IT IS FINISHED." Beleive in ME and you are saved.

"""Jesus says "Stop thinking Im going to change My mind everytime you slip up.""""

So now what will a church do when everyone has come foward,we teach people how to go forth.
Hebrews 6:4-6 <-So stop living in the milk of repentence,you slip up,just brush it off and move on,Dont just keep falling on your knees and crying for forgivness,because we have people to live for,And we want you to help us.Wheres "wheres John".."Oh he sinned last night and is ashamed and is having a hard time moving on from what he did." <-And thats whats holding people back.Just keep going,keep going,keep going the writer of Hebrews says "

Last edited:
Reactions: DD2008
Upvote 0

TimRout

Biblicist
Feb 27, 2008
Ontario
✟13,717.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 6 says that whoever satisfies the listed conditions and then withdraws from the faith cannot repent again. Since this is what it says, then this is what it means. Now, we can argue about whether these conditions completely define a believer. We could argue from the example of Judas, who exercised the very powers of the world to come, but Jesus knew from the beginning that he was "a devil." He was never truly converted. However, even this discussion is unnecessary, since it is irrelevant to the main point of the passage. Even if it describes a believer, does a believer actually withdraw? Does it ever happen? The passage does not say. The only mention of this topic points toward the other direction: "Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case &#8212; things that accompany salvation" (v. 9). The writer was convinced that at least the original readers would not suffer the fate that he describes. What is it then? The passage cannot be used to support Arminianism, since even the relevance is absent.

This paper by Vincent Cheung might be helpful. The entirety of his post can be found at Reformation Theology: Hebrews 6:4-9 (revisited)

Upvote 0
J

JacksLadder

Hebrews 6 says that whoever satisfies the listed conditions and then withdraws from the faith cannot repent again. Since this is what it says, then this is what it means. Now, we can argue about whether these conditions completely define a believer. We could argue from the example of Judas, who exercised the very powers of the world to come, but Jesus knew from the beginning that he was "a devil." He was never truly converted. However, even this discussion is unnecessary, since it is irrelevant to the main point of the passage. Even if it describes a believer, does a believer actually withdraw? Does it ever happen? The passage does not say. The only mention of this topic points toward the other direction: "Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case — things that accompany salvation" (v. 9). The writer was convinced that at least the original readers would not suffer the fate that he describes. What is it then? The passage cannot be used to support Arminianism, since even the relevance is absent.

This paper by Vincent Cheung might be helpful. The entirety of his post can be found at Reformation Theology: Hebrews 6:4-9 (revisited)

I appeciate the effort but to me it still shows that someone can loose their election even if it was known to those present that they would persevere till the end.This also supports passages about the book of life. The paper looks interesting though. Looks like it will give me a bit to chew on.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me, this is a simple explanation.

The book of Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians who were in danger of falling back into Judaism. The writter was telling them that once they were enlightened to the facts regarding Christ, and slipped back into "legalism" it then everything Christ did, they were holding Him "up to contempt".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I appeciate the effort but to me it still shows that someone can loose their election even if it was known to those present that they would persevere till the end.This also supports passages about the book of life. The paper looks interesting though. Looks like it will give me a bit to chew on.

Since the impossibility to be regenerated would be God's impossibility, what other limits do you see for God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Codger

Oct 23, 2003
N. E. Ohio
✟1,926.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thoughts?

The book of Hebrews was specifically written to the Hebrew Christians who under persecution were reverting back to Judiasm. They were leaving Christ and going back to the Old Covenant system of types and shadows. Therefore the great theme of Hebrews is that the New Covenant is a better covenant. In understanding this book we have to first find out what the book meant to those to whom it was originally written.

The book says that you have not yet resisted unto blood. I think this means that the Persecution under Nero was foamenting probably because of the fire in Rome of July 64AD. Nero started killing Christians in the following spring of 65AD. It was a very grave period of time.

Larry

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me try the english, per-impossible. work like this: You can lose your salvation when pigs fly. That what Paul is saying.

The impossibility would fall to God, so we know it's a manner of speech.
God regenerates, not man. But since the sacrifice for so complete and could only be done once forever. Regeneration based on this sacrifice is equally complete and finished. Or, will fall apart when pigs fly. per-impossible, a manner of speech.

Reactions: DD2008
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul didn't write Hebrews...Bartholomew did...or maybe it was Barnabus...(no one is truly sure...only one manuscript with his name on it...and it wasn't Paul)

Either way...they are using a "Hebrewism"

Let me try to paint another similar picture that would equate to what he is trying to say.

lets say that there is a pretty young woman at church who used to sing all kinds of beutiful solo songs at church. Her voice was georgous...many wondered why she wasn't a professional singer. (The truth being she enjoyed family life too much to ever persue it) One day the worst news came along...throat cancer...and it was agressive too.

Surgery and Chemotherapy and hair loss and drug brain and all of that sickness for two years...
in the meantime she wasn't to say a word...much less sing...they weren't even sure she could talk by the time things were done but her life would be spared.

Finally she is considered "cured" and she is allowed to start speaking again. Then she slowly works her voice more and more and gains enough strength in it to sing once again...finally she considers it good enough and volunteers for another Solo...and she spanks that song...with her strong sweet voice.

The church members go wild with applause at the end of it...everyone sees that she is back to normal, talented, beautiful, self by the Grace of God. Are you going to tell her that she sang bad?
That her performance stunk?

Of course not...you have been right there with her feeling all of that pain and agony of her illness and frustrations of her recovery the whole time...You yourself are in tears for rejoicing in her restoration.

In the same fashion once you have "tasted" of God's goodness...you can't go back.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul didn't write Hebrews...Bartholomew did...or maybe it was Barnabus...(no one is truly sure...only one manuscript with his name on it...and it wasn't Paul)

Either way...they are using a "Hebrewism"

Let me try to paint another similar picture that would equate to what he is trying to say.

lets say that there is a pretty young woman at church who used to sing all kinds of beutiful solo songs at church. Her voice was georgous...many wondered why she wasn't a professional singer. (The truth being she enjoyed family life too much to ever persue it) One day the worst news came along...throat cancer...and it was agressive too.

Surgery and Chemotherapy and hair loss and drug brain and all of that sickness for two years...
in the meantime she wasn't to say a word...much less sing...they weren't even sure she could talk by the time things were done but her life would be spared.

Finally she is considered "cured" and she is allowed to start speaking again. Then she slowly works her voice more and more and gains enough strength in it to sing once again...finally she considers it good enough and volunteers for another Solo...and she spanks that song...with her strong sweet voice.

The church members go wild with applause at the end of it...everyone sees that she is back to normal, talented, beautiful, self by the Grace of God. Are you going to tell her that she sang bad?
That her performance stunk?

Of course not...you have been right there with her feeling all of that pain and agony of her illness and frustrations of her recovery the whole time...You yourself are in tears for rejoicing in her restoration.

In the same fashion once you have "tasted" of God's goodness...you can't go back.

I don't get it....;)
Nah j/k....so you agree in Perserverance of the Saints eh? This story tells me(or I really don't get it) that one who backslides will come back and is still saved throughout it eh?

Upvote 0
J

JacksLadder

Since the impossibility to be regenerated would be God's impossibility, what other limits do you see for God?

But saying God cannot create someone with the ability to resist a gift from him is limiting God. What other limits do you put on God?

This reminds me of what I see in the liberal forums. God really did not mean that...I mean..... just look at the time period......I mean..... the opposite of what he said is what he meant.....:p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From Arthur W. Pink's "Exposition of Hebrews":

The chief difficulty connected with our passage is to make sure of the class of persons who are there in view. Is the Holy Spirit here describing regenerated or unregenerated souls? The next thing is to ascertain what is meant by, "If they shall fall away."The last, what is denoted by "It is impossible to renew them again unto repentance." Anticipating our exposition, we are fully assured that the "falling away" which is here spoken of signifies a deliberate, complete and final repudiation of Christ—a sin for which there is no forgiveness. So too we understand the "impossible" to renew them again to repentance, announces that their condition and case is beyond hope of recovery. Because of this, Calvinists have, generally, affirmed that this passage is treating of mere professors. But over against this there are two insuperable objections: first, mere professors have nothing from which to "fall away"; second, mere professors have never been "renewed" unto repentance.

The Greek word for "enlightened" here signifies "to give light or knowledge by teaching". It is so rendered by the Septuagint in Judges 13:8, 2 Kings 12:2, 17:27. The apostle Paul uses it for "to make manifest", or "bring to light" in 1 Corinthians 4:5, 2 Timothy 1:10. Satan blinds the minds of those who believe not, lest "the light of the gospel should shine unto them" (2 Cor. 4:4), that is, give the knowledge of it. Thus, "enlightened" here means to be instructed in the doctrine of the gospel, so as to have a clear apprehension of it. In the parallel passage in Hebrews 10:26 the same people are said to have "received the knowledge of the truth", cf. also 2 Peter 2:20, 21. It is, however, only a natural knowledge of spiritual things, such as is acquired by outward hearing or reading; just as one may be enlightened by taking up the special study of one of the sciences. It falls far short of that spiritual enlightenment which transforms (2 Cor. 3:18). An illustration of a unregenerate person being "enlightened", as here, is found in the case of Balaam; Numbers 24:4.

Second, they had "tasted" of the heavenly gift. To "taste" is to have a personal experience of, in contrast from mere report. "Tasting does not include eating, much less digesting and turning into nourishment what is so tasted; for its nature being only thereby discerned it may be refused, yea, though we like its relish and savor, on some other consideration. The persons here described, then, are those who have to a certain degree understood and relished the revelation of mercy; like the stony-ground hearers they have received the Word with a transcient joy" (John Owen). The "tasting" is in contrast from the "eating" of John 6:50-56.

Opinion is divided as to whether the "heavenly gift" refers to the Lord Jesus or the person of the Holy Spirit. Perhaps it is not possible for us to be dogmatic on the point. Really, the difference is without a distinction, for the Spirit is here to glorify Christ, as He came from the Father by Christ as His ascension "Gift" to His people. If the reference be to the Lord Jesus, John 3:16, 4:10, etc., would be pertinent references: if to the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:38, 8:20, 10:45, 11:17. Personally, we rather incline to the latter. This Divine Gift is here said to be "heavenly" because from Heaven, and leading to Heaven, in contrast from Judaism—cf. Acts 2:2,1 Peter 1:12. Of this "Gift" these apostates had "tasted", or had an experience of: compare Matthew 27:34 where "tasting" is opposed to actual drinking. Those here in view had had an acquaintance with the Gospel, as to gain such a measure of its blessedness as to greatly aggravate their sin and doom. An illustration of this is found in Matthew 13:20, 21.

Third, they were "made partakers of the Holy Spirit". First, it should be pointed out that the Greek word for "partakers" here is a different one from that used in Colossians 1:12 and 2 Peter 1:4, where real Christians are in view. The word here simply means "companions", referring to what is external rather than internal. It is to be observed that this item is placed in the center of the five, and this because it describes the animating principle of the other four, which are all effects. These apostates had never been "born of the Spirit" (John 3:6), still less were their bodies His "temples" (1 Cor. 6:19). Nor do we believe this verse teaches that the Holy Spirit had, at any time, wrought within them, otherwise Philippians 1:6 would be contravened. It means that they had shared in the benefit of His supernatural operations and manifestations: "The place was shaken" (Acts 4:31) illustrates.

We quote below from Dr. J. Brown:

"It is highly probable that the inspired writer refers primarily to the miraculous gifts and operations of the Holy Spirit by which the primitive dispensation of Christianity was administered. These gifts were by no means confined to those who were ‘transformed by the renewing of their minds’. The words of our Lord in Matthew 7:22, 23 and of Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:1, 2 seem to intimate, that the possession of these unrenewed men was not very uncommon in that age; at any rate they plainly show that their possession and an unregenerate state were by no means incompatible".

"If they shall fall away". "This is scarcely a fair translation. It has been said that the apostle did not here assert that such persons did or do ‘fall away’; but that if they did—a supposition which, however, could never be realized—then the consequence would be they could not be ‘renewed again unto repentance’. The words literally rendered are, ‘And have fallen away’, or, ‘yet have fallen’. The apostle obviously intimates that such persons might, and that such persons did, ‘fall away’. By ‘falling away’, we are plainly to understand what is commonly called apostasy. This does not consist in an occasional falling into actual sin, however gross and aggravated; nor in the renunciation of some of the principles of Christianity, even though those should be of considerable importance; but in an open, total, determined renunciation of all the constituent principles of Christianity, and a return to a false religion, such as that of unbelieving Jews or heathens, or to open infidelity and open godlessness" (Dr. J. Brown).

"It is impossible . . . if they fall away, to renew them again unto repentance". Four questions here call for answer. What is meant by "renewed unto repentance"? What is signified by "renewed again unto repentance"? Why is such an experience "impossible"? To whom is this "impossible"? Repentance signifies a change of mind: Matthew 21:29, Romans 11:29 establish this. It is more than a mental act, the conscience also being active, leading to contrition and self-condemnation (Job 42:6). In the unregenerate, it is simply the workings of nature; in the children of God it is wrought by the Holy Spirit. The latter is evangelical, being one of the things which "accompany salvation". The former is not so, being the "sorrow of the world", which "worketh death" (2 Cor. 7:10). This kind of "repentance" or remorse receives most solemn exemplification in the case of Judas: Matthew 27:3, 5.Such was the repentance of these apostates. The Greek verb for "renew" here occurs nowhere else in the New Testament. Probably "restore" had been better, for the same word is used in the Sept., for a Hebrews verb meaning to renew in the sense of restore: Psalm 103:5; 104:30; Lamentations 5:21. Josephus applies it to the renovation of the Temple!

But what is meant by "renewing unto repentance"? "To be ‘renewed’ is a figurative expression for denoting a change, a great change, and a change for the better. To be ‘renewed’ so as to change a person’s mind is expressive of an important and advantageous alteration of opinion, and character and service. And such an alteration the persons referred to had undergone at a former period. They were once in a state of ignorance respecting the doctrines and evidences of Christianity, and they had been ‘enlightened’. They had once known not of the excellency and beauty of Christian truth, and they had been made to ‘taste of the heavenly gift’. They once misunderstood the prophecies respecting the Messiah, and were unaware of their fulfillment, and, of course, were strangers to that energetic influence which the New Testament revelation puts forth; and they had been made to see that that ‘good word’ was fulfilled, and had been made partakers of the external privileges and been subjected to the peculiar energies of the new order of things. Their view, and feelings, and circumstances, were materially changed. How great the difference between an ignorant, bigoted Jew, and the person described in the preceding passage! He had become as it were a different man. He had not, indeed, become, in the sense of the apostle, a ‘new creature’, His mind had not been so changed as unfeignedly to believe ‘the truth as it is in Jesus’; but still, a great and so far as it went, a thorough change had taken place" (Dr. J. Brown).

"Seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh" (verse 6). This is brought in to show the aggravation of their awful crime and the impossibility of their being renewed again unto repentance. By renouncing their Christian profession they declared Christ to be an Imposter. Thus they were irreclaimable. To attempt any further reasoning with them, would only be casting pearls before swine. With this verse should be carefully compared the parallel passage in Hebrews 10:26-29. These apostates had "received the knowledge of the truth", though not a saving knowledge of it. Afterward they sinned "wilfully": there was a deliberate and open disavowal of the truth. The nature of their particular sin is termed a "treading under foot the Son of God (something which no real Christian ever does) and counting (esteeming) the blood of the covenant an unholy thing", that is, looking upon the One who hung on the Cross as a common malefactor. For such there "remaineth no more sacrifice for sins". Their case is hopeless so far as man is concerned; and the writer believes, such are abandoned by God also.

"Seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame". "They thus identify themselves with His crucifiers—they entertained and avowed sentiments which were He on earth and in their power, would induce them to crucify Him. They exposed Him to infamy, made a public example of Him. They did more to dishonor Jesus Christ than His murderers did. Theynever professed to acknowledge His divine mission; but these apostates had made such a profession—they had made a kind of trial of Christianity, and, after trial, had rejected it" (Dr. J. Brown).
Such a warning was needed and well calculated to stir up the slothful Hebrews. Under the Old Testament economy, by means of types and prophecies, they had obtained glimmerings of truth as to Christ, called "the word of the beginning of Christ". Under those shadows and glimmerings they had been reared, not knowing their full import till they had been blessed with the full light of the Gospel, here called "perfection". The danger to which they were exposed was that of receding from the ground where Christianity placed them, and relaxing to Judaism. To do so meant to re-enter that House which Christ had left "desolate" (Matthew 23:38), and would be to join forces with His murderers, and thus "crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh", and by their apostasy "put Him to an open (public) shame". We may add that the Greek word here for "crucify" is a stronger one than is generally used: it means to "crucify up". Attention is thus directed to the erection of the cross on which the Savior was held up to public scorn.

Taking the passage as a whole, it needs to be remembered that all who had professed to receive the Gospel were not born of God: the parable of the Sower shows that. Intelligence might be informed, conscience searched, natural affections stirred, and yet there be "no root" in them. All is not gold that glitters. There has always been a "mixt multitude" (Ex. 12:38) who accompany the people of God. Moreover, there is in the real Christian the old heart, which is "deceitful above all things and desperately wicked", and therefore is he in constant need of faithful warning. Such, God has given in every dispensation: Genesis 2:17; Leviticus 26:15, 16; Matthew 3:8; Romans 11:21; 1 Corinthians 10:12.

Finally, let it be said that while Scripture speaks plainly and positively of the perseverance of the saints, yet it is a perseverance of saints, not unregenerate professors.

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
J

JacksLadder

For me, this is a simple explanation.

The book of Hebrews was written to Jewish Christians who were in danger of falling back into Judaism. The writter was telling them that once they were enlightened to the facts regarding Christ, and slipped back into "legalism" it then everything Christ did, they were holding Him "up to contempt".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Then that would mean they never tasted heavenly gift which is the opposite of what Paul said :confused:

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then that would mean they never tasted heavenly gift which is the opposite of what Paul said :confused:

Just as I said before, and just as Arthur Pink points out, go back a read the parable of the Sower in Matthew.

Look here:

It is, however, only a natural knowledge of spiritual things, such as is acquired by outward hearing or reading; just as one may be enlightened by taking up the special study of one of the sciences. It falls far short of that spiritual enlightenment which transforms (2 Cor. 3:18). An illustration of a unregenerate person being "enlightened", as here, is found in the case of Balaam; Numbers 24:4.

And then read here:

Second, they had "tasted" of the heavenly gift. To "taste" is to have a personal experience of, in contrast from mere report. "Tasting does not include eating, much less digesting and turning into nourishment what is so tasted; for its nature being only thereby discerned it may be refused, yea, though we like its relish and savor, on some other consideration. The persons here described, then, are those who have to a certain degree understood and relished the revelation of mercy; like the stony-ground hearers they have received the Word with a transcient joy" (John Owen). The "tasting" is in contrast from the "eating" of John 6:50-56.

Again, go back and read the parable of the Sower.

Many have been "enlightened", given "knowledge" of the doctrines of grace, they have even "tasted" of the heavenly gift, for it is not hard to go to a "spiritual" church and not feel the Holy Spirit moving. But just because they "know" about Christ, and have "tasted" the Holy Spirit, does that mean they are saved?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
J

JacksLadder

Just as I said before, and just as Arthur Pink points out, go back a read the parable of the Sower in Matthew.

Look here:

And then read here:

Again, go back and read the parable of the Sower.

Many have been "enlightened", given "knowledge" of the doctrines of grace, they have even "tasted" of the heavenly gift, for it is not hard to go to a "spiritual" church and not feel the Holy Spirit moving. But just because they "know" about Christ, and have "tasted" the Holy Spirit, does that mean they are saved?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Sorry I had my browser up for a couple of min on the reply screen. Must have just missed your post before I posted.
I will read it in the morning. I am pretty tired right now an am going to hit the sack.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll make it easy for you.

"Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty." -Mt. 13:18-23 (KJV)

In this passage we see four classes of people.

In verses 19-22, we see the fulfillment of Hebrews 8:4-6. These people were "enlightened", given a certain amount of head knowledge of the grace of God, even "tasted" of the heavenly gift, but were they ever truly saved?

No!

Now, apply this to Hebrews 8:4-6.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.