United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What exactly makes you an apostate?
It is when a mature believer permanently & deliberately abandons their faith.
  1. They have no more concern for their standing in God.
  2. They ignore conviction.
  3. They stop taking Hell seriously.
I remember reading but I cant find it again.. a passage about taking one in who had strayed from the faith and build them up. If anyone can find this scripture for me or one like it it will be greatly appreciated.
That was an example of "backsliding" [2 Corinthians 2:6-8].

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's more a condition of the heart. I'd be willing to discuss that someone can even leave the faith for another and still come back to Christ, if in their heart they were still trying to follow God.

I know someone here in CF that has stated they left Christianity for another religion and returned. Now it's not to say that such an experience isn't putting said person into serious danger, but still that alone isn't a disqualifying criteria it seems. As long as they come back to Christ.

I think when a person becomes an apostate is when they just stop caring about things of the spirit entirely and thus care not about even judgement. That person has no regard for conviction or redemption and thus it's impossible to renew them.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Kenzin

Jan 6, 2021
Conway
✟11,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually the scripture I was looking for (I just found it) was.
James 5:19-20
English Standard Version

19 My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, 20 let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What exactly makes you an apostate? I remember reading but I cant find it again.. a passage about taking one in who had strayed from the faith and build them up. If anyone can find this scripture for me or one like it it will be greatly appreciated.

Hebrews 6:4-6 was written to address Jews who had become Christians then for whatever reasons abandoned the faith and went back to Judaism. They literally denied Christ to be accepted back into the synagogue. The same principle applies to a gentile who became a Christian then turned away and went back to Mithraism or any of a number of religions of the time.

Hebrews 6:4-6 was also used to condemn Christians who denied Christ under persecution by the Romans. To deny Christ is to become an apostate. There were those who denied Christ and burned incense to the Roman emperor to avoid death. They were those who "worshipped the image of the Beast". That was fairly well a common practice of the Romans of the time. Pliny the Younger wrote to Emperor Trajan regarding Christians in Bythnia around 112 or so AD:

Those who denied that they were or had been Christians, when they invoked the gods in words dictated by me, offered prayer with incense and wine to your image, which I had ordered to be brought for this purpose together with statues of the gods, and moreover cursed Christ...

Hebrews 6:4-6 was effectively set aside by the Church after the last Roman persecution. It has since been the tradition of the Church to welcome even apostates back after a period of penance. We are left now with the long-running question of whether we accept scripture alone or the traditions of the Church. As far as I am personally concerned, it was the Church who wrote the bible and it is the Church that has the authority to do as it sees fit.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heb 6, taken in context, is about doctrine, and moving from the elementary teachings of Christ to the more mature teachings. The higher teachings are built upon the elementary teachings. It has nothing to do with salvation. It has to do with the unworkable doctrine of the Hebrews who wanted to mix the OT sacrifices with the gospel of Jesus' death. The verses in question simply point out the unworkableness of trying to re-sacrifice Jesus over and over again as in the daily sacrifice. Just not going to work.
Heb 6:3 gives the warning "This will we do if God permit." That is, we will go on to the more mature doctrine if God deems that we are able to take it. The "apostacy" in this case is their bad doctrine.
Bad teaching has taken these verses and attempted to use them to say if you sin after you are saved then you cannot be saved ever again. Horrible twisting of the passage. It is about doctrine and moving to higher and better things, nothing to do with losing your salvation.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What exactly makes you an apostate? I remember reading but I cant find it again.. a passage about taking one in who had strayed from the faith and build them up. If anyone can find this scripture for me or one like it it will be greatly appreciated.
"Apostasy, from the Greek word apostasia, means “a defiance of an established system or authority; a rebellion; an abandonment or breach of faith.” In the first-century world, apostasy was a technical term for political revolt or defection. Just like in the first century, spiritual apostasy threatens the Body of Christ today."
What is apostasy and how can I recognize it? | GotQuestions.org

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

19 My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back,
20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Every time a born-again believer chooses their way over God's they act in rebellion toward Him. Are they, then, apostate, being in defiance of an established (divine) authority? No. I think if a professing believer exits the Christian faith they simply demonstrate what the apostle John said such a departure demonstrates:

1 John 2:19
19 They went out from us, but they were not really of us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us; but they went out, so that it would be shown that they all are not of us.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

"falling away" = apostasia =
Thayer Definition:
1) a falling away, defection, apostasy

We get the word apostasy from this, however, can also mean a departure and can be seen to reference a rapture.

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
Heb 6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

"fall away" = parapiptō =
Thayer Definition:
1) to fall beside a person or thing
2) to slip aside
2a) to deviate from the right path, turn aside, wander
2b) to error
2c) to fall away (from the true faith): from worship of Jehovah

Here what is described is a hypothetical to illustrate why one does not lose salvation. The reason given is that if one did lose salvation, there would be no way for them to regain it. The implication is that God wants people to be saved and has not made provision to regain salvation because it cannot be lost.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The verse you are referring to is Hebrews 6:6

Heb 6:6 and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

But before you think it means a person can not repent. Let's look at the second part of the verse, it states that the person "having fallen away" is "re-crucifying christ". But it is impossible to re-crucify Christ while one lives. How do we know this, see the following verse:

Heb 9:27-28 And inasmuch as it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this cometh judgment; so Christ also, having been once offered to bear the sins of many,

We see that the offering for sin, the crucifixion of Christ, is a life given for a lifetime of sins. So the only way to be re-crucifying Christ is to die in one's sins, why the cross was only given for one lifetime, not two. If we die in our sins there is no hope, but while we desire repentance God will give it to us. As Ezekiel states:

Eze 18:26 When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity, and dies in it, it is because of the iniquity which he has done that he dies.

Eze 18:30-32 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord Jehovah. Return ye, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Cast away from you all your transgressions, wherein ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord Jehovah: wherefore turn yourselves, and live.

That is why James can say:

Jas 5:19-20 My brethren, if any among you err from the truth, and one convert him; let him know, that he who converteth a sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.

and

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So yeah I geuss my question is I left Christianity in 1998 I followed Buddhism from 1998 to 2017 and came back to Christ. Does my leaving mean I am a apostate and therefore can not come back?
You gave your own answer when you quoted James 5:19-20.
English Standard Version

19 My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, 20 let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Apostasy is written of in Hebrews 6:4-8, and while some would argue that it was exclusively written to Jews..

There's too many other Scriptures that speak of falling away from the faith.

'3 Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.

4 For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

5 Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.'

(Jude 1:3-5)

In speaking of apostates, the book of Jude uses very strong language.

'8 Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones.

9 But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, “The Lord rebuke you.”

10 But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively.

11 Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam's error and perished in Korah's rebellion.

12 These are hidden reefs at your love feasts, as they feast with you without fear, shepherds feeding themselves; waterless clouds, swept along by winds; fruitless trees in late autumn, twice dead, uprooted;

13 wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever.'

(Jude 1:8-13)

Notice in vs. 12 of Jude it speaks of these apostates as being 'twice dead'.. so if the 'fruitless trees' are taken to mean apostates (which they are, going by the context) then these apostates must have been alive and fruitful at 1 point.

Again in the book of Peter, scripture speaks to this spiritual condition of having a saving knowledge of the truth at one point.. yet returning to wallow in the mire of the former life.

'20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.'

(2 Peter 2:20-22)

This is what God's Word says.. so clearly apostasy is real. Even the Lord Jesus Himself spoke of it.

Christ said before His return there would be a great falling away from the Christian faith.

'4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.

9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.'

(Matthew 24:4-14)

So there is no doubt about it.

Apostasy is real. The Bible speaks about apostates.

The Lord Jesus speaks of many being deceived.. He even speaks of false christ's and false prophets.

(Matthew 24:24).

From what I can gather in scripture, an apostate is someone who renounces the faith after coming to the knowledge of the truth.. and they never come back to repentance.

However, as long as someone is still alive on this earth they are able to come to repentance.

Just look at the thief on the cross. In his dying moments he repented, and found redemption in Christ for the Lord Jesus granted Him salvation.

'39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.'

(Luke 23:39-43)

So while we're still here on this earth.. it's never too late for anyone friend.

Christ speaks of this in the Parable of the Prodigal Son.

(Luke 15:11-31)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Continual willful sin

Upvote 0