✟15,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I heard a sermon today which clearly stated that Hebrews 6:1-3 was OT (OC) theology. All aspects of those verses were explained as originating in Mosaic Law.

It struck me as a novel idea but I felt it appropriate to discuss it impartially before opening my mouth:)

Any observations would be appreciated.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I heard a sermon today which clearly stated that Hebrews 6:1-3 was OT (OC) theology. All aspects of those verses were explained as originating in Mosaic Law.

It struck me as a novel idea but I felt it appropriate to discuss it impartially before opening my mouth:)

Yes, these verses are entirely referring to the OT.

The thought here is leaving behind "the principles" (the OT) and "go on unto perfection" (the NT).

This is in reference to those Jews of that day who accepted Christ and are now going back into Judaism.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I think it is referring specifically to the 10 commandments. (oracles of God)

It starts with "therefore" .... so one has to back up in scripture and see what "its there for" ;o)

so look at - stating the same thing

Hebrews 5:12
English Standard Version
For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food,

and then look at the Greek

Hebrews 5:12 Greek Text Analysis

it says therein the beginning of the oracles of God ... and that was the 10 commandments.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi,

It appears to be focused on Priesthood and the things concerning it.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

The Book of Hebrews makes it plain that the New Covenant has made the Old Covenant "obsolete" (Hebrews 8:13). There is a change in the law in Hebrews 7:12.

You can still use a washboard, instead of a washing machine, to wash your clothes.

You can still ride a horse to town, instead of riding in a car.

However, the washboard, and the horse have become obsolete for most of us.

In Matthew chapter 5 Jesus reveals that the 10 commandments are not to be thrown out, because murder is still not acceptable, but He also reveals that the New Covenant is a higher standard, not for our salvation, but for our conduct.

Several times in that passage Christ quotes from the Old Covenant and then says... "But I say...".

Mat 5:27 "You have heard that it was said to those of old, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY.'
Mat 5:28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,601.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The text speaks of leaving behind some aspect of instruction/knowledge regarding Christ and moving forward to more advanced instruction/knowledge of Christ. It would seem necessary that the biblical author be VERY clear, if this was not to be understood as expounding upon the NC.

The natural reading would certainly conclude it is related to the NC primarily.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Without hearing the actual sermon it's difficult to know what the actual point was that was being made - but ISTM that the pastor may have been pointing out that God's instruction never actually changed... Jesus was a fulfillment of the old covenant. He didn't inaurgurate a set of all new rules. IOW....there's more of a seamless transition rather than an abrupt turn in what it means to have faith in the One True God. No one was ever "saved" by the OC. For an example, the Bible states that "by faith Abraham believed God". It's always been by faith and obedience that people are considered "His".

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0