Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
“… Some women give birth and raise children but never ‘mother’ them. Others, whom I love with all my heart, ‘mother’ all their lives but have never given birth. And all of us are Eve’s daughters, whether we are married or single, maternal or barren. We are created in the image of the Gods to become gods and goddesses.”
“‘One Thing Needful’: Becoming Women of Greater Faith in Christ,” Sister Patricia T. Holland, Ensign, Oct. 1987, 33
Women’s Divine Roles and Responsibilities

Rodney Turner, retired BYU religion professor and author of Women and the Priesthood, said that although the meeting’s title presupposed that worshipping Mother is appropriate, there is no justification in the gospel setting for it. According to him, Heavenly Mother’s "milieu is the realm of spirit and glory. Earth is not her immediate concern or responsibility." Motherhood is the ultimate sense of her calling and the premortal life is her personal concern. He said Mother worship has its roots in pagan sex and fertility rites and ritual prostitution. He said Moses spoke against it and that it reappeared in Catholic worship of Mary. If praying to Mother "is so important, why wasn’t it revealed in the Restoration?" he asked.

He said that to reject the priesthood order is to reject the Father and to cut oneself off from Christ. Women are queens and priestesses but not gods. The Godhead, the "Presidency of Heaven," is a presidency of three male deities, similar to a stake presidency whose members each have wives who are responsible for domestic religious education but not ecclesiastical functions.

Turner said that to continue to pray to Mother after the prophet and the First Presidency have said not to is to "rationalize yourself to apostasy" "You can’t get ahead of the prophet .... Satan will carefully lead you to hell, singing praises to our Mother in Heaven."
https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/pdf/084-58-65.pdf

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm seeing a lack of spiritual insight in who they choose as religion professors at BYU. So many times I see that lack when the priesthood holders make choices in calling others to positions. The bishops and others are supposed to be guided by God.

D&C 46
27 And unto the bishop of the church, and unto such as God shall appoint and ordain to watch over the church and to be elders unto the church, are to have it given unto them to discern all those gifts lest there shall be any among you professing and yet be not of God.
Doctrine and Covenants 46

Stephen L. Richards
...The gift of discernment is essential to the leadership of the Church. I never ordain a bishop or set apart a president of a stake without invoking upon him this divine blessing, that he may read the lives and hearts of his people and call forth the best within them. The gift and power of discernment in this world of contention between the forces of good and the power of evil is essential equipment for every son and daughter of God. There could be no such mass dissensions as endanger the security of the world, if its populations possessed this great gift in larger degree. People are generally so gullible one is sometimes led to wonder whether the great Lincoln was right, after all, in the conclusion of his memorable statement, "You can't fool all the people all the time." One does feel at times, however, a sense of pity and sympathy for some of the peoples of the world whose education, information, and exposure to higher ideals and exalted concepts have been so arbitrarily and ruthlessly restricted.

There is a class of people now grown sizable in the world who should possess this great gift in large degree. They know how the gift is attained. They have been educated in its spiritual foundations. They have been blessed with the counsels which foster it. They know how to order their lives to procure it. You know who they are, my brethren and sisters. Every member in the restored Church of Christ could have this gift if he willed to do so.He could not be deceived with the sophistries of the world. He could not be led astray by pseudo-prophets and subversive cults. Even the inexperienced would recognize false teachings, in a measure at least. With this gift they would be able to detect something of the disloyal, rebellious, and sinister influences which not infrequently prompt those who seemingly take pride in the destruction of youthful faith and loyalties. Discerning parents will do well to guard their children against such influences and such personalities and teachings before irreparable damage is done. The true gift of discernment is often premonitory. A sense of danger should be heeded to be of value. We give thanks for a set of providential circumstances which avert an accident. We ought to be grateful every day of our lives for this sense which keeps alive a conscience which constantly alerts us to the dangers inherent in wrongdoers and sin. (Conference Report, April 1950, pp. 162-163)

George Q. Cannon

One of the gifts of the Gospel which the Lord has promised to those who enter into covenant with Him is the gift of discerning of spirits--a gift which is not much thought of by many and probably seldom prayed for; yet it is a gift that is of exceeding value and one that should be enjoyed by every Latter-day Saint…. No Latter-day Saint should be without this gift, because there is such a variety of spirits in the world which seek to deceive and lead astray. In a revelation to the Church upon the spirits which have gone abroad in the earth the Lord says:

"Behold, verily I say unto you, that there are many spirits which are false spirits, which have gone forth in the earth, deceiving the world."[D&C 50:2]
http://emp.byui.edu/jexj/new/talks/quote/gdiscernment.pdf

“People tell us, ‘You don’t believe in one God; you believe in three Gods.’ And the answer is, ‘Yes, we do.’ If that is polytheism then we are.”
Truman Madsen, BYU professor (emeritus), 150-Year- Old Debate: Are Mormons `Really Christian’? San Francisco Chronicle, April 8, 1996

Dr. Robert L. Millet ...
BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY (BYU) Robert L. Millet

Robert L. Millet Quotes:
“Secondly, we really aren’t obligated to answer everyone’s questions. I’ve not had all my questions answered. The Lord hasn’t chosen to do that. He probably hasn’t answered all of yours. And nor are we obligated to answer everyone else’s questions...

"The principle I would like to get across to you is this: We learn to answer the right question. Answer the right question.

"Point number three: and it relates to what we were just talking about. The principle, let's state the principle. We never provide meat when milk will do. We never provide meat when milk will do."
Robert Millet, former Dean of Religious Education, speaking to the Mission Prep Club at BYU.
Mormon Scholar, Robert Millet, Instructs BYU Students on How to Lie for the Lord – Christian Apologetics Project

Can LDS trust their young to professors at BYU?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's an issue with colleges nation-wide wherein professors put on a good show for everyone, work hard to override any and all objections, then once in position abuse their position to preach their personal views in lieu of the curriculum.
Irrelevant and an obvious attempt to distract rather than answering the question asked.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Irrelevant and an obvious attempt to distract rather than answering the question asked.

No, it's the answer.

Even the best of administrators can get a flim-flam job if they aren't paying attention to what anyone, including the Holy Ghost, is telling them. This is why everyone in college is responsible for a full 360 of keeping everyone honest.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it's the answer.

Even the best of administrators can get a flim-flam job if they aren't paying attention to what anyone, including the Holy Ghost, is telling them. This is why everyone in college is responsible for a full 360 of keeping everyone honest.
No, it's an answer. But not to the question asked specifically about BYU professors. Your "flim-flam" answer does not address that, hence a distraction and irrelevant non-answer.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, it's the answer.

According to Mormonism, only Mormons have the "Gift of the Holy Ghost" if they are worthy of it.

Upvote 0