• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Heat wave over Greenland causing massive ice melt

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by DennisTate, Aug 3, 2019.

1. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I sure am glad that Israel has developed mega-scale desalination technology that makes it at least theoretically possible to desalinate a similar amount of water as is melting off the land based Greenland Ice Pack, the West Antarctic Ice Sheet and the world's glaciers.

The amount of ice being ADDED to Central Antarctica saved our vulnerable cities and towns from the threat of rising ocean levels in the past but I think that the formula is close to changing and flipping in the other direction......... again!

Heat wave over Greenland causing massive ice melt

"More than 10 billion tonnes of ice was lost to the oceans by surface melt on Wednesday"
    The Associated Press · Posted: Aug 01, 2019 5:18 PM ET | Last Updated: August 1

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    We now know that Carl Cantrell's alternative theory on stabilization of the climate could work......... at the minimum every cubic meter of ocean water that is desalinated and added to the water table on land will tend to protect towns, cities, homes and real estate that is vulnerable to the threat of rising ocean levels.

Carl Cantrell:

Megascale Desalination
    The world’s largest and cheapest reverse-osmosis desalination plant is up and running in Israel.
    by David Talbot

3. DennisTate

+1,149
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    In my opinion a CARBON TAX WOULD DO NOTHING TO PROTECT vulnerable cities and towns from the threat of rising ocean levels... whereas deliberately using desalination technology to turn deserts green could help a lot and could be far less expensive than building sea walls, dams and levees...... plus we would be able to produce food on land that is producing very little at this time... .which sounds like a win - win - win - win - win scenario for all of us.

Here is what HAS been protecting our vulnerable cities over the past years and decades:

NASA Study: Mass Gains of Antarctic Ice Sheet Greater than Losses

4. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Well-Known Member

+1,027
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  5. JackRT

JackRT Flat earther waking up ... Supporter

+12,145
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Jack ponders just what little Israel is going to so with all the salt that the desalination plants produce as an unwanted by product.

6. Herman Hedning

Herman Hedning Hiking is fun

+1,067
    Humanist
    Yes, that sounds promising. Although desalination is no silver bullet - keep in mind that the salt and other nasty byproducts that are extracted from the water has to be taken care of somehow.

ETA: Doh, @JackRT beat me to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. JackRT

+12,145
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    You have been misinformed, AGW is a clear and present reality with extremely serious consequences.

8. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,864
    Christian
    So do you then set the example and live in a cave and eat bats?
    Use no plastic or gasoline or electricity.
    Wear no clothing with synthetic yarns?
    Wear no clothing at all, since each step of maufacture uses energy derived from 'fossil fuels'.
    Eat only what sprouts in your yard, cause farmers use copius amounts of diesel and gas and fertilizers.
    Refuse to go into concrete buildings since concrete manufacturer creates hugely vast quantities of co2 and energy burned to make it.
    Refuse to travel anywhere except by walking, or maybe riding horses.
    Definitely no flying, driving, boating, shipping.
    Refuse to buy anything made overseas as the ships burn diesel fossil fuels
    I could go on and on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. JackRT

+12,145
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    If we continue to ignore AGW then some or all of that may be forced on us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Herman Hedning

+1,067
    Humanist
    So, if you can not live a perfect zero emission life, then you should not even try, is that what you're saying?

11. Herman Hedning

+1,067
    Humanist
    Duplicate.

12. Nithavela

Nithavela confused

+10,289
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    You know, dead people have a very small carbon footprint.

Just saying.

13. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,864
    Christian
    Do you think the earth is going to die and human civilization along with it, because that is what the climate extremists insist will happen in another 12 years, oops, another 12 years, oops, another 12 years after that.

I have been around long enough to hear this going back decades. And every time they say its almost too late, but if we take drastic action, we can fix it. It is always almost too late for them.

14. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+4,751
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    If what you said were true it would be disturbing. Fortunately it isn't. Show me a claim in the 1980s, from a reputable source, that states that "the Earth is going to die and human civilisation along with it".

I shall interpret your failure to produce such support as evidence you have seen the error of your ways and may soon publicly recant. Then you can give your attention to the fact that the consensus views of climate scientists are moving steadily towards the more alarmist predictions. Ill informed resistance such as yours is imperilling, amongst others, the lives of my grandchildren and I do not take kindly to it.

15. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,864
    Christian
    I am almost certain you wont like what this says.
    10 times 'experts' predicted the world would end by now

16. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+4,751
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    FoxNews! And you are serious. When I read your earlier post I was angry with you, now its just a mixture of sadness and side splitting laughter. When the laughter stops I'll give you a measured reply. It might take till Wednesday.

17. sdowney717

sdowney717 Newbie

+1,864
    Christian
    I knew you would not like anything contrary to your opinion.

18. expos4ever

expos4ever Left This Site

+2,808
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    I know I used the same quote just yesterday, but I cannot resist: To quote from Woody Allen in Annie Hall: "I would love to stick around and discuss this but I am due back on planet earth".

19. expos4ever

expos4ever Left This Site

+2,808
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Thou shalt not bear false witness.