Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have an 18 year old son, who will be 19 next month. He has Asperger's, and mental health issues: severe depression, anxiety, ADHD. He is supposed to be starting his senior year. He is behind in school because of his birthday being in the fall and he repeated first grade because of difficulty learning to read. I have been stressed over the senior year costs, but I have been looking forward to this year. I wanted to be able to celebrate and enjoy this last year with him. Now he might not even be here, and I'm concerned about him running away and maybe not finishing high school.

He has tried off and on to get job, but gets discouraged easily and gives up. He has a hard time following through with applications. When he does get applications submitted, and he doesn't get hired, he takes it extremely hard.He also can't drive, and does not have a car, so he has to work out getting a ride or it has to be close enough to walk.

I am divorced from his dad, and we live in another state, but you can make the drive in a day. He has been angry and resentful since we move here because it took him away from his school and his visits with his dad aren't as often (Christmas and Summer only).We moved for safety reasons, more job options for me, and lower cost of living. It was really to benefit the family, and not to make his life miserable.

He has these fits of rage, teenager versions of two-year-old temper tantrums. He yells at me, slams doors so hard the walls shake, hurts himself and sometimes destroys his things. It happened again last night. He ran out and refused to come back home. He was texting a neighbor through his phone. He said he was leaving the state and not coming back. ...he has no money, left his wallet with his I.D., and was on foot... She talked him into coming home to talk to me.

I called his dad in Texas. He says that he can go back to live with him, but he won't come get him or buy him a ticket because he can't afford it. He also says he will help him get enrolled in school there, but he can't buy him any clothes or school supplies because he and his wife can barely afford that for their other son. I honestly have serious doubts about him not being able to afford to. He earns more than me, works two jobs, and his wife works. But whatever.

So I said that I could buy him a bus ticket next weekend, but I really can't afford it. I need the money for other things. I still have to buy school things for the boys. My car is broken down, I'm behind on bills, and my other son needs surgery and I'll be missing work (pay) for that. Instead of being honest with him, his dad told him that I said I would buy a ticket for him, and that he can return to Texas next Saturday.

I have an angry kid who is acting like I owe him and I have ruined his life. He walked back home last night, but refused to talk to me until this morning. I told him we have to work out a plan because I can't send him to Texas, or drive him there, and he can't treat me the way he does. If he stays, he has to stop acting that way. If he wants to go, he will have to wait until it is time for their Christmas visit, or get a job and pay his own way to get himself and his stuff there.

There is so much tension in my home right now. I'm half expecting him to blow up again, or hurt himself. It wouldn't take much to make him run away. The thing that keeps running through my mind is a fact that a huge percentage of homeless people have mental health and developmental disabilities. At this point, I'm afraid my son is at risk for that.

EllyGrace7

Jul 30, 2017
Melbourne
Visit site
✟9,412.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey.. I know I'm not a parent. You can probably tell from my profile picture... But I just wanted to let you know I'm praying for you, and I believe that you will get through this - you have Jesus Christ with you every step of the way, after all!! From what I can tell, the Lord has given you this tough life because He has made you strong enough to bear it... All I can say is, you are one strong lady, and you sound like such a loving mother... Take your pain to the Lord, and let Him ease your stress. I know He will... After all, so many are praying for you now!

Stay strong, and keep on praying, you and your son will be ok :) x

• Friendly
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I have an 18 year old son, who will be 19 next month. He has Asperger's, and mental health issues: severe depression, anxiety, ADHD. He is supposed to be starting his senior year. He is behind in school because of his birthday being in the fall and he repeated first grade because of difficulty learning to read. I have been stressed over the senior year costs, but I have been looking forward to this year. I wanted to be able to celebrate and enjoy this last year with him. Now he might not even be here, and I'm concerned about him running away and maybe not finishing high school.

He has tried off and on to get job, but gets discouraged easily and gives up. He has a hard time following through with applications. When he does get applications submitted, and he doesn't get hired, he takes it extremely hard.He also can't drive, and does not have a car, so he has to work out getting a ride or it has to be close enough to walk.

I am divorced from his dad, and we live in another state, but you can make the drive in a day. He has been angry and resentful since we move here because it took him away from his school and his visits with his dad aren't as often (Christmas and Summer only).We moved for safety reasons, more job options for me, and lower cost of living. It was really to benefit the family, and not to make his life miserable.

He has these fits of rage, teenager versions of two-year-old temper tantrums. He yells at me, slams doors so hard the walls shake, hurts himself and sometimes destroys his things. It happened again last night. He ran out and refused to come back home. He was texting a neighbor through his phone. He said he was leaving the state and not coming back. ...he has no money, left his wallet with his I.D., and was on foot... She talked him into coming home to talk to me.

I called his dad in Texas. He says that he can go back to live with him, but he won't come get him or buy him a ticket because he can't afford it. He also says he will help him get enrolled in school there, but he can't buy him any clothes or school supplies because he and his wife can barely afford that for their other son. I honestly have serious doubts about him not being able to afford to. He earns more than me, works two jobs, and his wife works. But whatever.

So I said that I could buy him a bus ticket next weekend, but I really can't afford it. I need the money for other things. I still have to buy school things for the boys. My car is broken down, I'm behind on bills, and my other son needs surgery and I'll be missing work (pay) for that. Instead of being honest with him, his dad told him that I said I would buy a ticket for him, and that he can return to Texas next Saturday.

I have an angry kid who is acting like I owe him and I have ruined his life. He walked back home last night, but refused to talk to me until this morning. I told him we have to work out a plan because I can't send him to Texas, or drive him there, and he can't treat me the way he does. If he stays, he has to stop acting that way. If he wants to go, he will have to wait until it is time for their Christmas visit, or get a job and pay his own way to get himself and his stuff there.

There is so much tension in my home right now. I'm half expecting him to blow up again, or hurt himself. It wouldn't take much to make him run away. The thing that keeps running through my mind is a fact that a huge percentage of homeless people have mental health and developmental disabilities. At this point, I'm afraid my son is at risk for that.

My dear sister,

Your post breaks my heart.

I am praying for you and your son at this very moment.

1 Peter 5:7
Turn all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you
1-peter-5_7.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like you, I also have doubts about this. It makes me think that living with his dad is probably not the best solution. But he is of age to choose what he wants, and that needs to be respected. If he chooses the wrong path, it's not your fault. It's his choice, and he has to own it.

How much is the ticket? I know it is difficult for you financially, but can you take out a loan to cover the cost of the ticket?

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks for the replies. I have been overwhelmed with this rollercoaster at home and lots of changes and unpredictability at work as well.

My son realized his father wasn't really going to be helping him out much. He says it's not his dad fault because he can't afford to. He stays in denial about his father's lack of caring. He said, "Dad can't afford me so I'll just stay."

My son calmed down and has settled into the idea (again) that this is where he lives and goes to school. He has made contact with some friends here, attended his senior portrait session, and applied for some jobs. He had an interview at a fast food place down the road from his school that he can walk to. He has not heard back from them about if they are going to hire him.

His goal is to get a job and save the money so he can leave and go to community college where his dad lives after he graduates.

I've told him that he has to keep himself under control and stay respectful. He doesn't have to be happy about his situation, but he can't explode into tantrums. He is seeing his counselor here soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks. He is actually doing wonderfully right now. He is making all A's and just started a job at Marshall's.

I have been going to church in a new church plant, and he has become friends with the pastor and his spouse. He has questions and arguments against faith, but he discussed with them and considers what they say.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It feels like a lifetime since I posted this less than a year ago.

Things have not been bad as far as his behaviors and attitudes, but he has slipped farther away from faith. He started refusing to go to church or to hang out with anyone from church when there is a get together planned.

As far as our relationship goes, things have been very civil and even enjoyable at times.

I had a rough time this last fall and December job wise. I got a new job that ended up only being part time when I was told it would be full time. I was able to start a better job the week before Christmas. During the time when I wasn't earning much, my son helped out with some bills and groceries. Since then he has reverted to teenager mode and just spends recklessly, even though he is often buying things for others. He loves giving gifts and treats, to his own detriment. He has no money saved, and I can't get him to stop spending.

He graduates mid-May. He still plans to move to live with his dad, but has pushed the date back to father's day weekend because he wants to spend some time doing fun things with me and his brother before moving.

He still doesn't drive, and the last time I took him to try for a learner's permit, he failed the written exam. I haven't been able to get him back to take it again because of my job and his school attendance. He can't afford to pay for insurance when he does get a license. He doesn't want to take a driving class, but really needs to because he just needs professional instruction and help with this. When his father and I have tried teaching him before his first permit expired, he couldn't do it. It's like he just didn't get it. I'm not sure at this point if he will ever be able to drive. I'm willing to pay for him to take the course because I'm afraid he will get off to his father's home and try driving and it will be a disaster.

Overall, things are better as far as behaviors. My biggest concern at this point is his faith, how living with his father will effect him, and his safety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've gotten him to agree to taking the driver's course. It is 30 hours of classroom instruction and six hours of driving lessons with four hours of parent documented practice driving. There appears to be enough time to squeeze it in before he goes to Texas in June. It's expensive, but I don't believe he will be able to drive without it. Having it a professional teach it will give him a better chance at becoming a good driver than his father or I could give him.

Upvote 0