✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heart%2BMatters%2BLogo.jpg

As God’s children, we have a desire in our hearts to do good and to please God. But our good desires are often threatened by discouragement. We get discouraged for many reasons. We live in a world full of darkness and evil. The news is full of terrible tragedies and looming dangers. We see sickness, death, and sin among our family members and neighbors. The enemy works through others to discourage us. People let us down. It’s no wonder we get discouraged.

Discouragement is a serious problem because it can hinder us from serving God and experiencing His peace, joy, and power for ministry.

It’s true that the world, our own flesh, and the devil all are working against us. But take heart! Someone far greater than all the forces of evil put together is on our side! God is well aware of the struggle we face and the need we have for encouragement. God encourages His people in many ways, but one of His main methods of encouragement is YOU. He works through us to encourage each other:

NIV 1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

I am convinced that encouragement is one of the most valuable ministries in the Church. Encouraged Christians are less likely to give in to sin and are more likely to give, go, serve, witness, and shine for Christ. Encouragement is like “our daily bread”, we need it every day:

NIV Hebrews 3:13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called "Today," so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

We should encourage others with the words we speak:

NIV Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

I think one key to encouraging others is to take time to listen to their hearts. Be the kind of person others feel safe to share with. Listen to their hurts, fears, struggles, and desires. And then pray with them. Listening and praying is such a powerful ministry strategy (I give some examples and advice on how to do this in a post here).

We can also encourage people by praying for them. In fact, amazingly, through prayer we can encourage people we don’t even know!

NIV Colossians 2:1-3 I want you to know how hard I am contending for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

When Paul said he was “contending” he was talking about praying. He uses the verb form of the same Greek word translated “contending” in another verse about prayer. In this verse the word is translated “wrestling”:

NIV Colossians 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured.

So I am following Paul’s example and I am praying for all of you who will read this, even if I don’t know you personally (I look forward to meeting you in Heaven!). I’m praying that God will encourage you to encourage others!

This was originally a post on my blog.

mojo487

Revived
Oct 20, 2017
Springdale
✟9,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
First off thanks for the post and God bless you!
I completely agree in the fact that we have to be encouraging others to open their made, doubting minds to the word of God. The internet is a place full of evil, as well as many atheists. When I see an atheist post a comment on Youtube or something, I can't stand to let it go unquestioned.

p.s. (check the evolution - creationism debate section of the forum to see a recent debate of mine, looking for opinions!)

Upvote 0