• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Heart Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heart Disease or Problems

What problems have you suffered because of heart attack or heart surgery?

I had a heart attack in April 1992. Had heart damage and had triple by pass April 20, 1992. I have some limitations but God has given me so much courage and helped me to decide if I wanted to live with the part of me that was working or give up and spend the rest of my life feeling sorry for myself. The phisical pain has not been near the problem that the mental pain has caused.

But praise God I have just celebrated 14 years since the heart attack and Friday will be 14 years since the sugery. )If my math is right) Yep, the ole mine don't calculate like it use to but it still works just real slow.

:prayer: :bow: :pray:

Akathist

Theology Team
Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My mother had some fainting spells and after some tests were done it was shown that she had had a heart attack. (They estimate it was not during one of the fainting spells, but earlier.)

After some more tests were run it was decided that she needed a shent (or is it shint?)

After that surgery which was not open heart but done through an artery in her legg. She has been feeling great. In fact, she says she feels so much better and has lots more energy.

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Xenia Rose said:
My mother had some fainting spells and after some tests were done it was shown that she had had a heart attack. (They estimate it was not during one of the fainting spells, but earlier.)

After some more tests were run it was decided that she needed a shent (or is it shint?)

After that surgery which was not open heart but done through an artery in her legg. She has been feeling great. In fact, she says she feels so much better and has lots more energy.
Praise God,

Xenia, they have really made advances in heart disease. I hope your mother continues to do well. It is great they did not have to do the surgery.
May God bless you and mom

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
:crossrc: :bow: I have completed all my test, and saw my Cardiac doctor on Friday 9th and was given great news, all is fine and doing good.

I continue to give God all the glory and I know he put special doctors in my path.

Thank you Lord Jesus for blessing and taking care of me.

:bow: :amen: :bow:

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heart Disease

A normal EF is 50 percent or higher. An EF of 35 percent or less indicates a weakened heart muscle and increases the risk of irregular heart rhythms that can lead to sudden cardiac death. Other diagnostic symptoms include a history of shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, dizziness or fainting.

"People with low EFs are at risk for a variety of very serious heart problems and some of these people might not know that their EF is reduced, although most people with a low EF don't feel fine," Ryan said. "But it certainly happens that patients (may have) no symptoms or at least nothing they attribute to heart problems and then they are found to have a low EF."

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HeartCenterOnline:

You can subscribe to heart center online and it come to your mail every Tuesday. Always lots of good info. Women need to know.

My EF's are 15 and 30 so you can see why I think this is important.

I am always eager to talk with anyone that has heart problems. Years ago, 1992. to be exact, it would have been such a blessing to have had someone to talk to me and tell me of their experiances going through open heart surgery and heart attack.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear bfly, I am glad you got good news from the doctors that your tests came back okay. Praise God!

I had a stress test and though they said my arms got in the way (which they didn't), they said that a portion of my heart is not getting enough oxegyn. I go to see the doctor Tuesday. I'm a little nervous to see him. He's a new doc to me. Anyway, just thought I'd write this down. My heart rate runs 110..i have good blood pressure, and that's about it.

Take care, Tapero

Upvote 0

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tapero said:
Dear bfly, I am glad you got good news from the doctors that your tests came back okay. Praise God!

I had a stress test and though they said my arms got in the way (which they didn't), they said that a portion of my heart is not getting enough oxegyn. I go to see the doctor Tuesday. I'm a little nervous to see him. He's a new doc to me. Anyway, just thought I'd write this down. My heart rate runs 110..i have good blood pressure, and that's about it.

Take care, Tapero
Hi Tapero, hmm don't see how your arm got in the way. Did you have all the wires on your chest and walk on the tredmill?

Yes I keep telling those people God gave me a new heart and I am sure you know the look. But this time He looked at me and had a small grin. He was so sure by now I have to have the sugery again. Praise God, Praise God.....

I sure hope you will get a good report. I know you are trying to stop smoking. I pray you can do that. It is really hard for most folk.

I smoked a pencil for a long time. It was the habit of holding them that caused me even to think about them. I kept a pencil behind my ear and when I would reach for a cig I would get that pencil. No one but me knew what I was doing. It went everywhere I did.

I will be praying for you. Did you have the echogram? That is where you get the EF numbers.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
bfly said:
Hi Tapero, hmm don't see how your arm got in the way. Did you have all the wires on your chest and walk on the tredmill?

Yes I keep telling those people God gave me a new heart and I am sure you know the look. But this time He looked at me and had a small grin. He was so sure by now I have to have the sugery again. Praise God, Praise God.....

I sure hope you will get a good report. I know you are trying to stop smoking. I pray you can do that. It is really hard for most folk.

I smoked a pencil for a long time. It was the habit of holding them that caused me even to think about them. I kept a pencil behind my ear and when I would reach for a cig I would get that pencil. No one but me knew what I was doing. It went everywhere I did.

I will be praying for you. Did you have the echogram? That is where you get the EF numbers.
Hi, smoking pencils huh? lol I've been recommended pens and toothbrushes so far and they all sound good.

Havne't had an echo, and am upset that the nurse said on the phone that my arm got in the way, because it didn't. I think they confused me with the next patient who couldn't move her arm. arrrgh. It was a chemical stress test, though I did do the treadmill for four minutes at the lowest rate. I probably have sleep apnea pretty bad - I have nights that are just impossible to sleep cause of it so I'm sure that doesn't help. Thanks for writing back, Tapero

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bfly

Contributor
Oct 2, 2005
Alabama
✟23,591.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tapero said:
Hi, smoking pencils huh? lol I've been recommended pens and toothbrushes so far and they all sound good.

Havne't had an echo, and am upset that the nurse said on the phone that my arm got in the way, because it didn't. I think they confused me with the next patient who couldn't move her arm. arrrgh. It was a chemical stress test, though I did do the treadmill for four minutes at the lowest rate. I probably have sleep apnea pretty bad - I have nights that are just impossible to sleep cause of it so I'm sure that doesn't help. Thanks for writing back, Tapero
I just read the other day that sleep apnea had some effects on the heart. I will try to pull that up and send a link on this post. I get a publication from the heart disease every
tuesday on all things pertaining to the heart and such. I will send you the link. It is very informative and I have gain lots of info over the years from it.

HeartCenterOnline Newsletter

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
bfly said:
:crossrc: :bow: I have completed all my test, and saw my Cardiac doctor on Friday 9th and was given great news, all is fine and doing good.

I continue to give God all the glory and I know he put special doctors in my path.

Thank you Lord Jesus for blessing and taking care of me.

:bow: :amen: :bow:

I praise God for this Bfly!

Tapero

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟31,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Xenia Rose said:

They placed a "stent" in one of her coronary arteries via a catheter inserted through her femoral artery. It is a small collar that expands to twice the internal diameter to increase blood flow with bypass surgery.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I smoke, am overweight, and am diabetic. My heart is enlarged some. The heart doctor see's me every six months and always asks; any swelling? I am 51 years old. I have noticed that my left foot and part of my leg are swelling just enough that I can feel the swelling. It's barely where I can see it. I've been wondering if that means there's a blockage or something. I don't think it's diabetic neuropathy as I keep my sugar good most the time. I know no one can diagnose here but just wondering what swelling means usually. Thanks, Tapero

Upvote 0

RoughEdges

Aug 20, 2006
Butler, PA
✟8,834.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know no one can diagnose here but just wondering what swelling means usually. Thanks, Tapero
OK. I just recently joined, so please forgive the month-long delay between your post, and my answer. :)

Sometimes, in the absence of infection, swelling (or edema) in an extremity can indicate a build-up of fluid due to poor circulation.

Have you seen your doctor recently? If not, you may want to call and ask him about it and see if he wants you to come in for an exam.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tapero

Legend
Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK. I just recently joined, so please forgive the month-long delay between your post, and my answer. :)

Sometimes, in the absence of infection, swelling (or edema) in an extremity can indicate a build-up of fluid due to poor circulation.

Have you seen your doctor recently? If not, you may want to call and ask him about it and see if he wants you to come in for an exam.

Dear Rough Edges, Thank you so much for writing. As it turns out, I'm going in for a angiogram next Tuesday, so we should see about the problems then. I appreciate your information. Funny how things work out.

Welcome to the forums. So nice of you to respond to my post. God bless, Tapero

Upvote 0

BibleSender

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
✟15,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I just had a heart attack this past May. I also had a triple bypass. :cry:

I was going home from the hospital 5 days after the surgery but when the nurse removed the port from my neck he let an air bubble go to my brain and in less than 30 seconds I was out.:swoon:

After spending 15 hours in the Hyperbaric chamber I am pretty much back to normal:thumbsup:

God is Good!!! I give him the Praise.:amen:

Upvote 0

Shawny

Sep 13, 2006
✟7,677.00
Faith
Catholic
My closest uncle just suffered from a heart attack some time ago. His cardiologist informed that he needs Coronary Artery Bypass, which he will be undergoing in a very reputable clinic by skilled surgeons.We are all very much shocked and moved by his sudden illness. Its the first time that in the family somebody is going for heart surgery. We are all praying for him fervently. If anyone has ever had such a surgery, please tell me more about it. :help:
Please pray for him as well.:pray:
Thanks.:(

Upvote 0

xladyfayre

Pixie Sunbelle
Nov 19, 2006
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i am 21 years old, i was born with coartation of the aorta. i had surgery when i was 3 weeks old and when in there- i almost died.
i havent ever given it much thought when i was younger and even attended a camp. When i got a little older- at 16, i had some friends pass away. even though i was at a sick kids camp- it didnt occur to me that some of them may die. Nor, did it occur to me that i still had my heart problem. i fell into a depression and was constantly afraid that something may happen to me. It was a quiet one and no one really knew... i had a few friends i talked to, but no one that really knew what to do.... later, i got a boyfriend and about a year later, things became okay. Sometimes i still get sad or scared though...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.