Hearing the still small voice and gifts of knowledge?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
How do you hear God's still small voice, like Elijah? What sorts of things does He say to you? For yourself and others? How did you start listening and what makes it hard?

How does this differ from gifts of knowledge, prophecy and wisdom?

How do you answer cessationists' disagreeing?

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you hear God's still small voice, like Elijah? What sorts of things does He say to you? For yourself and others? How did you start listening and what makes it hard?

1. God will speak to us through the Holy Spirit as He wills. Sometimes what He says may be just for oneself or may be for another, it just depends. I just always leave myself open to hear Him and include in my daily prayers for Him to use me as He wills.

2. It depends on the situation. If God has given one something to speak out loud, that would be a word of either prophecy, knowledge, or wisdom depending on the audience and what is said. If, however, it is just something that the Lord has spoken to you, then it is none of those things. Rather, it is just the Holy Spirit communicating with you about whatever it is He is communicating.

3. I choose peace rather than winning a likely unwinnable argument. They have their reasons for believing the way they do, as do we. It is not a salvation issue so it does not really need to be debated.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hey.. I agree with SpiritfilledJm. Lol I once asked this woman of God about Gods voice and why I don't hear it. Lol she said you talk to much you don't listen. The word talks about waiting on the lord. We need to remember Hes not billions of miles away but in us. He is always talking.. God is not a light switch we turn off and on He is always on. You know His voice if you know believe in Christ Jesus. Luke 11 13.. huge key there. But His sheep don't wonder don't guess for His sheep know His voice. One older one.. hollywood walking home from this Christian meeting just about to cross the street out of no where I hear with in me clear as day "RUN". I thought "run? I'm not scared". Yeah I was very happy. I then lol hear this "when God tells you to do something you don't question it". "Yes sir" I said and started to run. It was right after He said run where I passed this appartment building both doors were open yet pitch black in side. JUUUUUuuust as I passed two people run out jump in the car and drive backwards after me.. theres more but.

Thats one. The as of late I have been praying about something and read something here someone posted.. it faith wonderful. Yet later I was still asking and He says "you think you just by chance found that post?". The little things where no voice nothing yet He by His sweet sweet Holy Spirit lead us and we didn't even notice. I didn't.

There are countless but some stick out. Last dreams. A dream yet just words saying "you do not invoke the name of Jesus enough". That was easy to see just who said it. I really don't think out enemy is going to tell me to speak the name of Jesus more haha.

Faith.. believe trust in Him. Well I just said the "little things" we don't see. WHERE do you think your desire to hear His voice if this is you asking or your just teaching.. but if asking where do you think this desire comes from? HELLO? HIM! Your hearing already :) SONG your desire is the confirmation that destination is there God wouldn't put it in your spirit if it was not going no where." I like that song

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How do you hear God's still small voice,

You ask too many questions at once.

Depends on which person of the GODHEAD is speaking to you. All of them speak from within you where The Holy Spirit is.

- The Holy Spirit is more of a leading and a knowing, ie revelation from within.

- The Lord Jesus tends to speak directly to me in a slightly audible voice, still from within. He can be very personable.

- I'll relate an experience about The Father,... I was stationed at Diego Garcia during 05 and 06, and one day I was walking back to my barracks room. As I was walking, I was thinking about a particular Christian work that was mainly available in Syriac. It was considered to be a 1st century work, and it drew my interest quite a bit. As I was thinking about it, The Father spoke to me "They will find a Greek manuscript of it." As He spoke to me it reverberated throughout my entire being like thunder. When He finished what He said, I caught myself sort of stepping back into time, like I had been lifted up and out of it just for that moment.

Eternity had spoken directly to me, and it was awe inspiring.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

On #2 - don't know, and #3 - don't have the strength to argue with unbelievers anymore. That I leave to the Holy Spirit. But for #1, that's a tough one. God has His own way to communicate with His children. For this, along with anything else you desire from God, we need to ask, knock and keep asking and knocking until He opens the door for you. There is no quick recipe for this. The only way I can see is to seek Childlike faith.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Probably of interest: Is it possible to hear God's voice today as the New Testament apostles and disciples did?

Probably of interest: Difference between receiving a word of knowledge, a word of wisdom and a prophecy?

See also What is the craziest word of knowledge you have ever spoken or heard?

You can see an intense ongoing debate here: Of the following spiritual gifts, which ones are still available and which ones have ceased?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"No one is able to come to Me unless the Father Who sent Me attracts and draws him and gives him the desire to come to Me, and [then] I will raise him up [from the dead] at the last day." John 6:44

So there's some "communication" with everyone who becomes a believer - whether they acknowledge it or not.

Just listened to Robert Morris, Gateway Church, an informative Biblically based sermon in the Frequency series about valuing God's voice - hearing His voice.

• Agree
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0