Hearing the Lord Jesus Christ

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is written that His sheep hear His voice. Hearing His voice is not reading your Bible, but you should do that. Those who wrote the Bible heard His voice and they wrote down things they heard. Some things they wrote down are maintained in what we call the Bible, and the main reason they wrote was so that others might seek Him and His voice!

Jn 5:46,47 For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

So if you believe the Bible you will believe in Jesus Christ, who said He would never leave you, and the writings of Moses explained the word was near you, in your heart and in your mouth. So first you need to understand that the word of God we are preaching is found in your heart, and on your lips. Your Bible maybe on your table or in your desk, but that is not the word of God we are preaching.

Rom 10:8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching,

Now Jesus explained that His words are spirit "It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." ( Jn 6:63)

So what happens is that the Spirit of God takes the words of God which belong to the Lord Jesus Christ and speaks them to your spirit. That is why we find them in our heart, because it is in our heart that we pick up what's in our spirit. Sometimes what is in our spirit comes out our mouth, so we something find the word of God coming out of our mouth. Of course it is not literally in our heart, so heart surgery is not going to get in the way. But it is from that place inside us that we often associate we caring. Thus the Spirit of God acts like a living telephone line to our Lord.

Jn 16:13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak;...

Now because most of us don't spend much time, if any, actually seeking His voice we become dull of hearing. In that case His voice is probably going to come across like a feeling or unction.

Heb 5:11 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is hard to explain, since you have become dull of hearing.

If everyone practiced seeking the Lord and His voice this would not be hard to explain, but it is. So with practice you get better at hearing what the Lord, via His Holy Spirit, is putting on your heart.

Heb 5:14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

Don't worry about the "mature' part but worry about practice seeking and listening for the Lord. Also note that is mentions good and evil. If you develop your spiritual hearing you are not only going to find out about God who is good, but also about the influence of evil spirits in your life. So we need to be wise, careful, and aware, but not afraid of them. Being afraid will lead you to not seeking the Lord. Fearing the Lord will lead you to seeking Him. So be afraid that you are not seeking Him like you should, but also be aware that the Holy Spirit is not the only spirit out there, and at the same time remember that their are more with you than against you. There are more angels serving our Lord Jesus Christ than are serving Satan! Be aware of all that. There is a test to be used 1Jn 4:1-3. Some Christian i know like using 1 Cor 12:3 for testing spirits, and we just talked about the importance of practicing hearing the Lord.

Now some recommendations for those getting started. Start small and easy!!

We hear by faith. It doesn't take much faith to move that mountain, but still start small and build over time. By small I mean start with little easy things to hear. So don't start by asking Him when He is going to get you a new house, start by asking Him how He feels about your, or if there is someone you need to forgive, because there often is and it might be yourself.

We hear Him by faith and our faith gets blown around in the wind (effected by spirits). So again, ask Him for easy things to believe. Then slowly build from there. There is a misconception that God will only talk to you if there is something critical in your life, but that is not what the Scriptures explain. The Bible tells us that He like to guide our steps. So ask Him which foot to put forward next. It also explains that we will hear a voice behind us telling when to turn to the right or to the left. So ask Him about when and where to turn, like when shopping in the store.

Is 30:21 Your ears will hear a word behind you, “This is the way, walk in it,” whenever you turn to the right or to the left.

I just want to point something out clearly right here. It's written that His thought are not our thoughts, so you can expect some strange things. Still, if you don't feel right about it don't do it until you do!! He will understand and is capable of getting an explanation across to you, though even though it might take a little bit to do that, because we really do get stuck in our ways. So He sometimes has to unstick us. He is God and can do it, but remember that you are still practicing listening to Him.

You don't want Him to be the stone you trip over, but the stone you use to get higher, understand? Still, you can take your time when climbing higher.

Another thing, if I haven't tried to cover too much already. His mercies are new everyday. It often seems like I start the day off trying to seek and hear from Him but by the end of the day I have often lost Him! The next morning I often find Him already to start the next day with me. Also I have a minor warning. Don't be surprised if He wakes you up in the middle of the night to talk to you! I don't like it, but it is often the best time to get you a bit of quite time with Him and He knows it.

Ok - I have been seeking Him for 20 years now and there is not way I can go over it all; not to mention that He is always teaching me things so what do I know? ... Well, I know Him and He will teach you. So hopefully some get started listening to Him right now, or perhaps I have answered a question of two.

As for the scoffers saying in one way or another that God doesn't speak to us today... Well the first words of that snake in the garden were "Did God really say", and there are bound to be some listening to that snake today and not realizing it. We don't battle with flesh and blood but the dark forces in this world. :)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Bobber