Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How are we able to distinguish between the voice of God and the voice of the Devil?
Only one filled with the Holy Spirit can do that. One listens to the Holy Spirit 24/7....we just too often don't go along with His advice.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Listening to the voice of God takes many aproaches and disciplines....

1. establish a set prayer time(early in morning is best)
Jesus as was his habit rose early in the morning to pray
Luke 5:16...Mark 1:35

2. stay in fellowship to encourage one another and build up one another
Hebrews 10:25

3. Deal with sin...or God will not listen to your prayers!!!!!!
Forgive and reconcile....Matthew 5:23
1Peter 3:7 do not be angry anb harsh with your wife or anyone!!!!

4. Yes pray in the Spirit constantly(tongues)

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How are we able to distinguish between the voice of God and the voice of the Devil?
Excellent question! By the content. God never says anything that is contrary to His written Word. God is a Spirit and speaks to our spirits, not our minds, in general. Our minds will then "voice" his communication. Likewise, the devil is a spirit and speaks to our spirits from which our minds give "voice" to those communications. I say, "in general," because God can and does speak to our minds and even audibly to our ears. But that is usually for young believers who need encouragement in their faith in God, or when we become greatly confused. The goal is unity with God so that our thoughts and His thoughts run together. They call this the confluence of Scripture when we read the prophets. Their personality and words are still theirs but the communication is from God. The comparison has been made to a writer with pens. Each pen has its own stylus and ink color, but the thoughts penned are still the writer's. And so it is with us who have the new birth.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Excellent question! By the content. God never says anything that is contrary to His written Word. God is a Spirit and speaks to our spirits, not our minds, in general. Our minds will then "voice" his communication. Likewise, the devil is a spirit and speaks to our spirits from which our minds give "voice" to those communications. I say, "in general," because God can and does speak to our minds and even audibly to our ears. But that is usually for young believers who need encouragement in their faith in God, or when we become greatly confused. The goal is unity with God so that our thoughts and His thoughts run together. They call this the confluence of Scripture when we read the prophets. Their personality and words are still theirs but the communication is from God. The comparison has been made to a writer with pens. Each pen has its own stylus and ink color, but the thoughts penned are still the writer's. And so it is with us who have the new birth.
If you heard a sentence audibly in your mind would that be from God, for example, "It did not happen because of yesterday". As if the sentence just "downloaded" into your mind.

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hearing the voice of God has to do with being filled with the Spirit on a daily basis...
Also exercising you faith.....
Romans 12:6....prophesy according to our faith

example: God may say to go say hi or talk to your neighbor....just do it....
see how they are doing........
then the voice of God will become more frequent over time as you obey....

this all goes back to prayer....
I had a minister once that said we should spend more time listening to God and less talking....
for instance ask God a question and then listen for the answer???
God will especially give you people to pray for.....

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hearing the voice of God has to do with being filled with the Spirit on a daily basis...
Also exercising you faith.....
Romans 12:6....prophesy according to our faith

example: God may say to go say hi or talk to your neighbor....just do it....
see how they are doing........
then the voice of God will become more frequent over time as you obey....

this all goes back to prayer....
I had a minister once that said we should spend more time listening to God and less talking....
for instance ask God a question and then listen for the answer???
God will especially give you people to pray for.....
What are we to do when said question has been asked yet there is only silence?

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you heard a sentence audibly in your mind would that be from God, for example, "It did not happen because of yesterday". As if the sentence just "downloaded" into your mind.
Could be. Depends on the context. When I was a student at Christ for the Nations, at the end of my schooling they hosted a marriage seminar. While the married couple were talking, God dropped into my spirit an understanding. There were no words to speak of, but a sudden realization of its meaning. He let me know that Adam was not naming the animals as so many say. Instead, he was being tested to see if there was a suitable mate for him amongst the animals. When he named the animal, he was seeing the spirit of the animal and saying the same word that God used to speak them into existence. Adam passed his test then was put to sleep for the removal from his side for the creation of Eve. When he awoke he saw past her physical form and said bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. I understood that God was telling me that I was being too shallow in my search for a mate. I looked at outward things like beauty or could she be a work partner with me. Six months later I met my wife, and the Lord spoke to me, This is it. And I knew that she was bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. We have been married 25 years. So context matters.

• Winner
Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well try this:

I have always heard this......
obey the last thing God told you to do......then see if He gives you more direction.....

Ask God what He wants you to pray for???
If no answer then just give thanks and pray whats on your heart????

I knew a bro in his younger days as a christian got impatient when God woudnt answer...he would get impatient and fill in his own words.....
Sometimes we must just act on faith........and wait

While in prayer:
Also God will speak to us in different ways.....
For me it is almost always a picture that God puts in my mind!!!!!
I will see my neighbor or family member and know to pray for them...
others may hear more of an audible voice.......

Listening to the Spirit of God takes time and effort....
Jesus spent hours every morning in prayer......
Also sometimes all night and God would change the direction they were going!!!!

God would try to redirect Paul in some areas with prophecies from others when Paul couldnt listen to God for direction....Acts 21

example:
A few years ago we had a real division in our Christian school....
fired some really spiritual administrators and hired some others....
I took it hard because I had been there for 7 years.....and knew the guys that were fired.....
Word from God: He told me that I could forgive them and stay
or forgive them and leave....but I had to FORGIVE!!!!!

I am just about through the forgiveness and reconciliation thing for 3 years as I feel like God is releasing me from my obligations at the Christian School

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well try this:

I have always heard this......
obey the last thing God told you to do......then see if He gives you more direction.....

Ask God what He wants you to pray for???
If no answer then just give thanks and pray whats on your heart????

I knew a bro in his younger days as a christian got impatient when God woudnt answer...he would get impatient and fill in his own words.....
Sometimes we must just act on faith........and wait

While in prayer:
Also God will speak to us in different ways.....
For me it is almost always a picture that God puts in my mind!!!!!
I will see my neighbor or family member and know to pray for them...
others may hear more of an audible voice.......

Listening to the Spirit of God takes time and effort....
Jesus spent hours every morning in prayer......
Also sometimes all night and God would change the direction they were going!!!!

God would try to redirect Paul in some areas with prophecies from others when Paul couldnt listen to God for direction....Acts 21

example:
A few years ago we had a real division in our Christian school....
fired some really spiritual administrators and hired some others....
I took it hard because I had been there for 7 years.....and knew the guys that were fired.....
Word from God: He told me that I could forgive them and stay
or forgive them and leave....but I had to FORGIVE!!!!!

I am just about through the forgiveness and reconciliation thing for 3 years as I feel like God is releasing me from my obligations at the Christian School
Thankyou. I am going to take a screen shot of this so I can keep for future <3

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
YHVH reaches men through a regenerated spirit in man, not thru the mind.

Multitudes hear "voices", almost none from God.

Stick to His Word.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
THis is most common for all believers. Read the Word of God and eventually, gradually, He may teach you , always as He says in His Word.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Stick to His Word.
@A_Fish_Called_Luca
Yeshuaslave is correct for the most part. God is a Spirit and he speaks to us through our spirits. The voice of our spirit is intuition, which means it is an inward knowing, not necessarily accompanied by words. But our souls which is the body of our minds, will take that knowing and put it in words if needed.

This is for the most part. However, God is not limited in his ability to communicate with us. I have heard the Lord speak to me audibly in a quiet whisper just outside my right ear. He has dropped things into my spirit that exploded with understanding. He has also spoken words to my mind which clearly had an external quality about it. He even spoke to me once from my left leg. He has also spoken to me in dreams and twice he used an angel to give me a two phone calls.

Of course God will also give us rhemas from our reading of the Bible. Remember these things. We can not make God talk. He speaks when he wants to speak. No matter how much you fast or pray or read the Bible he will not be forced by your actions to speak. That is not to say such actions have no impact on God. Mothers respond to babies crying not because the crying makes the mother respond, but because mothers love their children. God responds to us because he loves us, not because we cry hard enough.

Jesus said my sheep know my voice. He also said his words are spirit and life. We learn to recognize his communication. We know his Spirit because we know his will. And when his words of life are spoken to us there is a motivation to act on those words.

My point is: don't put God in a box. He has spoken to me through secular songs. The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. He can use anything or anyone to speak to us including a donkey.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Stick to His Word.

You speak in contradictory phrases.

“The word” is a book, a physical manifestation of language.

“The Spirit” is an entity if you will, invisible to physical sense.

How can God speak to the “regenrated spirit” yet only through “The Word”?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KnittingWithLove

Dec 29, 2016
United States
✟16,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The speaker, Mike Connell, walks us through practical teaching on how to better walk in the Spirit. This first video is how to hear and discern God's voice.

Brief synopsis is to quiet your mind, pray in the Spirit (with tongues), and tune into and open your heart for any spontaneous leading. Lastly test any word against scripture. He even uses an activation exercise!

Thank you so much for posting this. I am looking forward to watching all the other videos in the series. I'm just learning about gifts, about what all the Holy Spirit is, who He is, and how He effects my life. I'm overwhelmed in such an amazing way with the way God is working. At this time not in a church, not around other Christians whom I can ask questions or anything. Thankfully God has the answers for us in His Word but boy it sure does help to have some direction, as there is so much to learn, so much to take in and I just really appreciate you posting this.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God has said all He has to say through the Old and New Testaments. All we have to do is to read the Bible, and then do what it says we have to do. The Bible is God's voice to us. That is the foundation. When God speaks to me, He uses Scripture, and the blessing to me is that when I am pondering on an issue, He brings the exact Scripture to mind that gives me the right direction in my thinking about the issue. I don't believe in disembodied voices, and if people are looking for such experiences, then the devil is always there to give them one. Remember that a counterfeit is so much like the real thing and even the elect could be deceived. If in doubt, fall back on the written Scriptures and believe them over and above any "voice". There are passages of Scripture that answer every question and deal with any issue that might confront you. The problem with many is that they are being lead astray from the written Scriptures by "experiences" and "voices" and many are falling into error.

For example, the "oneness" Pentecostal churches, which deny the Trinity, are worshiping another Christ and not the Jesus of the Bible. If people don't believe that God is a trinity of three persons who love and communicate with each other, as the Bible clearly points out, then they are worshiping their own perception of "god" and not the real God. The Trinity is one of the important keys to a person's salvation, so there could be some doubt that a "oneness" person could actually be saved, and are still lost in their sins, barking up the wrong tree.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You speak in contradictory phrases.

“The word” is a book, a physical manifestation of language.

“The Spirit” is an entity if you will, invisible to physical sense.

How can God speak to the “regenrated spirit” yet only through “The Word”?
If you read what Moses and Joshua said about the book of the Law, then you will see that God gave revelation to both Moses and Joshua and told them to write it all down in the book. Notice that I say THE book, not just any book. The Bible is God's revelation to man. Paul, filled with the Spirit, committed what The Spirit revealed to him in writing, so did other other epistle writers. Jesus told John to write down what He revealed to him on Patmos. Therefore, the Bible is not just any book. To treat it just like any other book is to depart from Christian faith into existential philosophy which believes that the Bible is not the true revelation of God in terms of history, the cosmos and science, and is therefore full of mistakes. Therefore faith in God under this philosophy is a unfounded blind leap of faith in a religious caricature of God and not the real God of the Bible. There is no other foundation to true Christian faith other than the Bible - the written Scriptures. If we depart from them to "voices" and "experiences" we are departing from God to a "faith in faith" which leads to meaninglessness and death.

Upvote 0