Hearing from God...Can u please guide me?

Oct 27, 2014
✟10,177.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to make a difficult decision about whether to move to another city..and when I reading the bible this verse jumped onto me: "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness". I felt it answered my prayers by telling me to say in my current city... I always heard the verse from multiple sources ( ex. pastor, youtube channels).. I am new christian and I am not sure if that's the lord confirmation..Can u please guide me?

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have to make a difficult decision about whether to move to another city..and when I reading the bible this verse jumped onto me: "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness". I felt it answered my prayers by telling me to say in my current city... I always heard the verse from multiple sources ( ex. pastor, youtube channels).. I am new christian and I am not sure if that's the lord confirmation..Can u please guide me?
Yes, it can be one of the ways that God communicates to us, but while saying that, not every message that seems significant in that way is necessarily His voice. Some people who receive bad doctrine that makes them think that God is a different character than He truly is, well they can wind up believing that harmful messages are coming from God when in fact it is not a messenger of God at all! (Consider 1 John 4:1).

So you're definitely on the right track to advancing your relationship with Him, and the real key to your success is to understand His personality, values, character etc (because there is none like Him - and there is many spirits out there, Jeremiah 17:10). I have put this booklet together through much prayer, and I share it with people every day. I find that it helps people get a clearer knowledge of who He is, and this page in particular has been helpful for those who have mistakenly thought that spirituality is a mental illness. A lot of people who read it come away having a better relationship with Him and clearer discernment of His voice.

One of the things on that page says "When we begin to perceive these voices, we may choose to ignore them or learn from them". Some people are afraid that they might be experiencing mental illness, such as schizophrenia or psychosis. Others might venture into it naively and wind up believing harmful ideas, then becoming a risk to society. The mental health professionals are appointed to diagnose and treat people whose spiritual experience of life has become harmful, and most of the time when people claim to speak to God, the professionals find that they are not of sound mind (consider 2 Timothy 1:7). These professionals are naturally afraid and sceptical of Christianity because their experience has given it a bad reputation in their view (consider 2 Peter 2:2). But it is clear through knowing the spiritual aspect of life, that the bible writers had all developed their relationship with God in that way (consider Jesus' words in John 4:23-24, and think on Proverbs 3:5-6).

Finally, do not be afraid of the prospect of being brought forward to answer for your faith, because Jesus says in Luke 21:12-19 that when we are handed over to give an account to those who hate on the basis of His name, He Himself will give us words of wisdom that our opponents cannot refute. I testify this to be the case, and it produces that they are condemned for having wrongfully brought charges against His elect (consider Romans 8:33-34 and Isaiah 54:17).

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank you for having brought us together this day to make known the wonderful truth of having a relationship with you, and the reality of the promises you give us, to always support us as we do the work that glorifies you. I thank you for having called our sister to seek this relationship with you. I ask that you will kindly strengthen her by this word, encourage her to press forward and discern your voice, so that she can identify those ideas that would lead her to act according to the passions of the flesh, but that would be detrimental to her developing of the fruits of the spirit. Already, the fruits of The Holy Spirit are so abundantly visible in her, so we pray that you will give her wisdom to recognise that the choices she makes will have a direct impact upon her spiritual well-being, as to whether she remains attached to Christ, by manifesting the love that He has commanded us to have for one another, in order to go forth produce even greater fruit. We commend our sister to your hands now and ask for you to strengthen her faith to trust you as you lead her into a wonderful knowledge of what it means to be Christian. We pray in Jesus' name, Amen.

What you are called to pursue is something really special. God does not reveal Himself to all people, because not all people please Him, and His indignation would cause them to fall dead in spirit. This is a deeper meaning of the purpose of the veil that Moses wore, and why it is that Jesus had to come in the flesh - because unless a man was to physically stand and say "I Am", the human is always able to deny that God is speaking to their conscience. (1 Kings 19:11-12). Jesus said "unless I had come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have no excuse for their sin". Having established The Kingdom through His work 2,000 years ago (Matthew 12:29, Ephesians 4:8), He now reigns in heaven while His servants operate in His name to bring about the completion of His Messianic duties (consider Revelation 17:14, Colossians 1:24-26, Hebrews 10:12-14).

Keep in mind that not every Christian lives obediently to Jesus Christ in the way you are being called to do, but instead they have a more rote sort of faith, where their beliefs have been taught through human reasoning. You could consider Mark 7:5-8 as it might apply to those types of Christians in the present days.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that is one way how God answers you. Also pray about it and seek Him further for more confirmations.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It could be. But 1Thess 5 tells us to "make sure of all things, hold fast to what is good", so it has to pass certain tests. If you turn to James 3 you'll find the characteristics of God's wisdom: pure, peaceable, gentle, open to reason, and the rest. This closely ties in with the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5. Whatever God does is going to conform to these characteristics. I would give the matter a season of prayer with these things in mind, and try to sense the way forward that gives you an abiding sense of spiritual peace.

Upvote 0

LivingRightInWrongWorld

Bible believer, follower of Jesus Christ
Sep 18, 2017
Europe
✟16,738.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
There was a situation described in the Bible when Jesus got a word from the Father. And it is described in 2 Peter 1:17-18:

"For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount."

And then he says in the next verse:

"We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:"

Where he is talking about the word of God, the Holy Bible!

So I believe we always need to check that voice we hear with the scriptures!

2 Peter 1:20-21:

"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You shouldn't make decisions based solely on feelings. In the Bible God speaks to people through dreams and visions and audible voices. When God is speaking to you there is no ambiguity that it might or might not be God. Verses about trusting God are just that, reminding you to trust God. They don't mean you should or shouldn't move.

In the absence of any such visions, you need to make an informed decision. God gives us free will and we are responsible for our actions. You should read the Bible and pray of course, but the Bible gives us knowledge about God and his commands, not specific direction on our lives. The Bible doesn't tell you where you need to live, and what school you should go to, and what job you should get, it's up for you and the people in your life to have wisdom and make smart decisions.

And personally, I think too many people use "I don't know what God wants me to do" as an excuse to do nothing. A lot of times God doesn't really care where you life, or what job you take, or who you marry, just as long as you serve him wherever you life, and that you set a hard working example as a Christ follower wherever you work, and that you have a Christ centered relationship with Biblical sexuality no matter who you marry.

God wants us to be freewill individuals with our own unique personalities serving him in a way we enjoy. If God didn't want that, he'd have made us robots. There are a very small number of people throughout history, such as Moses, and Abraham, prophets, the apostles, and Paul, who God called to make significant impacts on the course of history and they really didn't have much choice except to obey or disobey, but that's not the case for most of us.

Reactions: discipler7
Upvote 0

discipler7

Oct 5, 2017
tog
✟42,302.00
Country
Heard Island And Mcdonald Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to make a difficult decision about whether to move to another city
If this is about moving to another city for a job, you will have to do what you need to do to earn a living, as per GENESIS.3:17-18, ie fallen humans have been cursed by God to slog for a living. The more important thing to do is to be in a Church fellowship in whichever city you are in.

The Word of God or Bible does not give guidance or laws on minor matters like where to go to eat, to shop, etc. The more important point is to avoid unscrupulous or evil/sinful shops.

Upvote 0

LivingRightInWrongWorld

Bible believer, follower of Jesus Christ
Sep 18, 2017
Europe
✟16,738.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You shouldn't make decisions based solely on feelings. In the Bible God speaks to people through dreams and visions and audible voices. When God is speaking to you there is no ambiguity that it might or might not be God. Verses about trusting God are just that, reminding you to trust God. They don't mean you should or shouldn't move.

In the absence of any such visions, you need to make an informed decision. God gives us free will and we are responsible for our actions. You should read the Bible and pray of course, but the Bible gives us knowledge about God and his commands, not specific direction on our lives. The Bible doesn't tell you where you need to live, and what school you should go to, and what job you should get, it's up for you and the people in your life to have wisdom and make smart decisions.

And personally, I think too many people use "I don't know what God wants me to do" as an excuse to do nothing. A lot of times God doesn't really care where you life, or what job you take, or who you marry, just as long as you serve him wherever you life, and that you set a hard working example as a Christ follower wherever you work, and that you have a Christ centered relationship with Biblical sexuality no matter who you marry.

God wants us to be freewill individuals with our own unique personalities serving him in a way we enjoy. If God didn't want that, he'd have made us robots. There are a very small number of people throughout history, such as Moses, and Abraham, prophets, the apostles, and Paul, who God called to make significant impacts on the course of history and they really didn't have much choice except to obey or disobey, but that's not the case for most of us.

We do need to be careful, Bible is an instruction for us. Freewill individuals doesn't mean we go around doing what we please and ask God for forgivness. It matters a lot where we work, who we marry. Will you work at a company where you need to lie daily to people to make a buck? Selling something they never need in life for example? As a Christian you should never accept that job, no matter what money is involved.

It matters who we marry. God made us man and woman. There is no sorry I didn't know, if you are referring to homosexual marriage. Paul said clearly in Romans 1:27: "And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

Also Leviticus 20:13 says: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

And even those men that you put, from Moses on, all fell short of glory of God. We can never be good enough or holy enough, but that doesn't mean we need to stop trying. We need to be the best version of us, the closest to Christ Jesus as we can. He learned us to love, we need to love, but He came to fullfill the law not to break it.

We need to listen to God in all and everything, but if that "voice" is contradicting His word, we can be sure it is not God.

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

FWIW, Here's the way I approach things like this. I usually try to take things from a wide range of inputs to discern what God wants. I then usually go with what seems to bring me the most peace in my heart. (I'm married so I've got my wife's spiritual sense of things as another guide as well.)

One of the things I've noticed that I do (and others as well) is that when we have a difficult decision, we often become keenly aware of things dealing with that decision that we'd otherwise never notice. For example, apply for a job in (pick a random state), say Kansas, and all of a sudden, you'll notice whenever Kansas appears in the news, or you meet someone who has family in Kansas, or whatever. I've had times where I've mistaken this type of thing as signs from God (but fortunately never acted on it since I don't take things like that alone).

Another thing I've noticed about big decisions is making them with a sense of God moving us forward in some way. Many times I looked to find a new job or to move, it wasn't because God wanted me to, it was because I didn't like where I was at and wanted to run away. I wasn't looking to move forward in a good direction, I was just looking to flee my current situation.

I've found that most of the big decisions and transitions in my life have not sprung up out of the blue. God lays the groundwork and starts to point toward a new direction. The big decisions and transitions have all made sense (in the long run) about growing and moving forward in life. There has been some amount of uncertainty in some of these things, but ultimately, it was peace in our hearts and a strong sense of God's leading.

My sense is that if the dominant thing you feel is peace in your heart about staying, then there's a good chance that is indeed what God is pointing you toward. If the dominant feeling is uncertainty, fear, or negative types of emotions, I'd continue to seek God about it.

Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We do need to be careful, Bible is an instruction for us. Freewill individuals doesn't mean we go around doing what we please and ask God for forgivness. It matters a lot where we work, who we marry. Will you work at a company where you need to lie daily to people to make a buck? Selling something they never need in life for example? As a Christian you should never accept that job, no matter what money is involved.

It matters who we marry. God made us man and woman. There is no sorry I didn't know, if you are referring to homosexual marriage. Paul said clearly in Romans 1:27: "And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

Also Leviticus 20:13 says: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

And even those men that you put, from Moses on, all fell short of glory of God. We can never be good enough or holy enough, but that doesn't mean we need to stop trying. We need to be the best version of us, the closest to Christ Jesus as we can. He learned us to love, we need to love, but He came to fullfill the law not to break it.

We need to listen to God in all and everything, but if that "voice" is contradicting His word, we can be sure it is not God.
No one said anything about not being careful, homosexuality, or jobs where you participate in immoral behavior. Stop being stupid and derailing the conversation away from OP's original question for no reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not seeing where that is telling you to stay or go. God is with you whether you stay or go. If he has a purpose for you leaving, I believe he would give you a stronger incentive than that.

Upvote 0