Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alright I'm getting sick of the way this situation is saturating our lives. We can't stop it, but we can control how much attention we give it. Yes of course, I'm concerned about everyone who's affected by it and I offer the rosary for them often.

That being said, I've actively been working to avoid saying "coronavirus" aloud. I refuse to speak that word, since it's uttered every fourth word in my workplace as part of the job. When this is all over, if someone says it I'll probably punch them in the mouth.

OKAY. SO. That's why I'm making this thread... I'm curious what ways other folks are directing their attention away from the monolithic 24-hour news cycle? What books are you reading? What prayers or devotions are you saying? What skills are you trying to hone? What podcasts are you listening to? Any new shows or miniseries you've started chipping away at?

I just wrapped my 1000th re-watch of Stargate Universe on Hulu, my favorite show. I might follow it up with my third re-watch of Southland, who knows? I also just finished my third re-watch of Downton Abbey with my mom (I'm a history nerd so I'm into it).

One thing the entertainment industry is doing right now is releasing films on streaming services early since theatrical access is cut off. I bought both Call of the Wild and The Way Back on Amazon Prime this weekend to watch. I had seen the former in theaters and I enjoyed it a lot, brought back a bunch of memories of my middle school years when I read the book. Took my dad to see it then too, it's one of his favorite stories cause he taught it to his middle schoolers (and thus the Alaskan Gold Rush) for many many years.

The Way Back was a striking movie (spoilers below)
It follows the story of Jack Cunningham (Ben Affleck), a former high school basketball star whose life has fallen apart after his nine year old son died from cancer. His wife has left him and he's deep into alcohol addiction. One day he gets a call from the priest who administrates him former high school, Bishop Hays, and is asked to takeover coaching the school's basketball team, noting that they hadn't been to the playoffs since Jack was on the team.

Jack attempts to refuse the offer but ultimately shows up. He finds a small (both in number and stature) and poorly disciplined team. After some rough seas at first he eventually identifies the player's talents, corrects some strategic problems in the team's approach, and the team starts winning. Jack also stops drinking, and eventually the team comes within a game of the playoffs.

Unfortunately a friend of Jack's son who had gone through cancer treatment with him sees his cancer return. Going to the hospital to see the kid proves traumatic for Jack and he starts drinking again, which spirals him out of control costing him the coaching job and landing him in the hospital after a night of drinking that causes him to crash into a parked boat trailer and enter into the wrong house.

However, he enters rehab and begins mending fences with friends and family for all the ways he and his drinking hurt them over the years. Including his alienated wife, Angela. The team makes it to the final game of the season against their rivals who beat them hard earlier in the season. With a winning buzzer shot, Bishop Hays makes it into the playoffs for the first time in years, dedicating the game to Jack.

I thought the movie was especially compelling because of Affleck's own experience with alcoholism and substance abuse. He mentioned how doing the movie was therapy for him, and you can really see how he dug into the pain, anguish, and trauma that can haunt a lot of people struggling with substance abuse. It's a good film, aside from bad language there's no other inappropriate content in it. Worth checking out on Amazon Prime or anywhere else you can stream it!

My top podcasts right now:

1. Rules 4 Retrogrades with Tim and Dave Gordon
  2. The Taylor Marshall Show

...I know, I know, you guys are shocked about that list.

I also just finished reading the brothers Gordon book of the same name (Rules For Retrogrades) and I'll be posting a review of the book pretty soon...

With the absence of public Masses, I'm trying to get better at going through the daily readings myself (something I'd like to do even when Masses return). I finally got my copy of the 1945 Fr. Lasance Roman Missal and it's fun to read with everything in both Latin and proper English.

I'm thinking about starting a garden if I can get my hands on some heirloom seeds. If I can, I'd like to grow some beans (stuff that typically grows in the Southeast US, maybe the low country around South Carolina) or maybe some greasy beans. Looking forward to growing some tomatoes, chilies, maybe some root vegetables. I love artichokes so I'd love to grow some of those but I've never done that before...I dunno! We'll see!

What about you guys? Whaddya got going on? Let's share some ideas!

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I'm trying to watch online mass often. Im also staying close to the breviary now adays. To be honest im struggling to deflect my focus from the plague thats going on.
Im falling behind in my classes etc.

I have to get a grip soon in order to salvage this semester and all. That being said, the positives in all of this is the fact that im clinging to the Lord more than ever before.
This lent is going to transform how I look at things and life in general.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm trying to watch online mass often. Im also staying close to the breviary now adays. To be honest im struggling to deflect my focus from the plague thats going on.
Im falling behind in my classes etc.

I have to get a grip soon in order to salvage this semester and all. That being said, the positives in all of this is the fact that im clinging to the Lord more than ever before.
This lent is going to transform how I look at things and life in general.
Focusing on Jesus Christ right now is exactly what He wants in times like this. He is our rock, our intercessor, our strength in times of trouble. I pray this brings great resolution to you Stabat, that Christ is more seriously in focus than ever before. He is the way the truth and the life. Rest in Him, He meets us in the valley and we grow. Keep the faith in Him. It seems we are all separated out into our houses and dwelling places to do just as you said, to trust in Him spiritually, to meet Him spiritually face to face in our time of need. I'm kind of sorry you edited out your own thread on this topic, it was really good and really an important word.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bumping it up. :)

Thanks Mich.

Who here gardens? I'm curious about growing beans, never done it before and I'm not sure if the kind I want to grow would grow here in inland California with dry hot summers.

Upvote 0

Julian of Norwich

English Catholic
Nov 10, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟81,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'd think growing the beans would depend a lot on the type of soil you have, but you shouldn't really listen to me - I don't seem to be able to grow anything (other than a couple, very hardy flowers).:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Mich.

Who here gardens? I'm curious about growing beans, never done it before and I'm not sure if the kind I want to grow would grow here in inland California with dry hot summers.
I garden. Just look at the zones. I’m not sure what growing zone CA is but I’m sure you’d have no problems with growing beans there.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My wife plants and I mow over anything that's green on my tractor, so we built raised beds for her. Raised beds are awesome, you can build any kind of soil you need in them as long as you don't mind the work and some associated cost. I don't know much about growing beans though, that's my wife's gig. I can tell you raised beds are awesome. Growing basil is kind of cool too.

You can do growing pots too though, she does quite a bit of that lately, easy to screen off so critters don't go nuts on your greenery. We have a tenant that when he grows stuff uses pots and he gets tomatoes all summer long.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I garden. Just look at the zones. I’m not sure what growing zone CA is but I’m sure you’d have no problems with growing beans there.

Good call.

So Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina...places where a lot of beans are grown are all like 6a, 6b, and 7a, 8a zones. But in the northern Sacramento Valley I'm...9b. Dang't. It also looks like if I was going to do that then I should've done it about six weeks ago.

My wife plants and I mow over anything that's green on my tractor, so we built raised beds for her. Raised beds are awesome, you can build any kind of soil you need in them as long as you don't mind the work and some associated cost. I don't know much about growing beans though, that's my wife's gig. I can tell you raised beds are awesome. Growing basil is kind of cool too.

You can do growing pots too though, she does quite a bit of that lately, easy to screen off so critters don't go nuts on your greenery. We have a tenant that when he grows stuff uses pots and he gets tomatoes all summer long.

Indeed, we have a raised bed that I was going to plant some stuff in. It's not huge, maybe 64sf but I could still do something with it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have raised beds too. I plant in them as well as directly in the ground. I do extra tomatoes in pots on the decks as well. Been having issues with tomato worms the past couple of years though.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good call.

So Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina...places where a lot of beans are grown are all like 6a, 6b, and 7a, 8a zones. But in the northern Sacramento Valley I'm...9b. Dang't. It also looks like if I was going to do that then I should've done it about six weeks ago.

Indeed, we have a raised bed that I was going to plant some stuff in. It's not huge, maybe 64sf but I could still do something with it.

I’m sure it is not too late if you buy a few bean plants.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Good call.

As Michie said start from young plants. If you get good sun in there probably tomatoes and basil, maybe some cucumbers would work for ya. You can do quite a bit in that size really. Or you could do an herb garden too. Corns a pain in the butt, forget that imo. Lettuce ?

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am way to busy to worry about the virus. I just got into a fast track class after the second week, which means twice the homework to catch up and I have another fast class. In addition I start work from home next week and am going through re training plus now trying to setup video streaming at my Church so my Priest can stream Mass, Studies, etc. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Been practicing my German lately. I have an online subscription with a language learning site. I watched the news earlier and almost had the screaming meemies. So trying to not continual watch the news.

It feels like Passover where God had the Jews mark their houses so that the plague would pass them by.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have raised beds too. I plant in them as well as directly in the ground. I do extra tomatoes in pots on the decks as well. Been having issues with tomato worms the past couple of years though.

Every time I plant tomatoes the never get real big. I will try again this year of course and have the same results :) but I love doing it. My Father in law made a box to plant in that I could reach since I can't reach the ground

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Every time I plant tomatoes the never get real big. I will try again this year of course and have the same results :) but I love doing it. My Father in law made a box to plant in that I could reach since I can't reach the ground

Use chicken manure if you haven't already, last time I grew tomatoes I used that and they grew like weeds. Good size too, golfball to baseball size.

Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0