✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why can't you get prescriptions from U.S. doctors? I know the FDA approved some BP drugs.

Because the doctors are far too expensive. The pills are cheap.

a previous prescription was authorized by a PA so a PA at a less expensive clinic might work out at a reasonable price.

I think the problem might be me, because only now with 9 pills left have I started looking for a low cost clinic. yes, I forgot to take the pills last night., oh, and I really have to do some electronics and go to bed, been nice talking to you, cheers, Mork

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Medicare is supposed to help you pay less for doctor appointments.

Once you get big government involved the reality diverges from the theory by a huge amount and nobody ever finds out until it is too late and even when you tell them they don't believe you.

Medicaid
New Mexico ceased providing Medicaid when I reached 65, well actually a month before, and that confused me. I reapplied a few times and got a couple of different answers one of which was that I was over 65 and I appealed that reason on the grounds that it was age discrimination.

I then had a circular conversation with yes NM ... (they like to call 'no' 'yes'), it was agreed that if I was 64 I would be eligible but at 65 I am not, and the only reason was my age. But it wasn't age discrimination because it says in the rules that New Mexico does not supply Medicaid after the 65th birthday.

It's not age discrimination because it is in the rules.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's a very interesting question.
No one I spoke to at the US Medicare place knew anything of value, but I got the answer from yes NM office that they only give Medicaid to over 65s as a second level of cover after Medicare had paid out as the first provider.

So because I have only 34 credits and need 40 to get Medicare, therefore I also don't get Medicaid.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What do you want the government to do - just clear it up and train everyone or actually make it possible for seniors to get Medicaid and Medicare at the same time?

My preference is to let anybody who is below a certain income level and at least 65 years old get Medicare permanently. I also would simplify the process to be eligible and require more training for employees who work directly with clients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I had Medicare then I could also get Medicaid. I'm guessing the reason is it would cost the state a bit less money and the US government funds a bit more.

My understanding of the situation is -
Medicare is nationally funded and costs the state nothing. It pays 80% of costs leaving 20% for the patient, though this depends on the exact category, for some Medicare pays zero and the patient 100%.

Medicaid pays everything but it is only 80% funded by US government funds and 20% by the state.

So up to 65 years old the state has to cover 20% of costs, above 65 by shifting the person onto Medicare then Medicare pays as much as they pay and Medicaid pays the rest.

Medicaid is reimbursed 80% by the US government so when an over 65 patient has both the US government pays 80% as Medicare is the first cover and then Medicaid pays the remaining 20%. Now of that 20% the US government pays 80% because it is Medicaid and the state ends up paying only 20% of that 20%, so the state only pays of the overall total just 4%, a small piece of the small piece.

So the State of New Mexico made a rule that everyone over 65 must go on Medicare before they can reapply for Medicaid. I'm one of the few who can't get Medicare but they still apply the rule that I must get off Medicaid until I get Medicare as my first cover.

The person who phoned said they don't deprive people of medical cover as a rule because almost everyone they take off Medicaid does get Medicare and can then come back and get Medicaid. I can't and that's just tough luck.

Sorry, my first version of this wasn't very good

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So they don't really pay 80% of what you owe doctors.

Of Medicaid the US gov pays 80% and the State pays 20% and the patient nothing.

After 65 with both plans, the idea is Medicare is first cover, pays 80%, then Medicaid pays the rest, and the rule for Medicaid is of that the US gov pays most and the State pays a bit, which of the total is therefore the State ends up paying just 4% of the total.

So that's why the State shifts everyone off Medicaid at 65, and onto Medicare as first cover and Medicaid as second.

It just didn't work out right for me, and person on the phone apologized but said my case is unusual and it normally works out just fine.

edit: sorry I messed up the post first time again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There will be a need for more doctors in the future. The fastest-growing age group, predictably, is senior citizens.

When I had Medicaid I used to see a PA who prescribed tests and medication. It has also been found that a PA with the diagnosis program Watson can do better than pretty well any doctor and I would prefer that option because I've had trouble with doctors in the past.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What is the difference between a PA and a nurse practicitioner?

In Florida the NP is not allowed to change drugs, only doses. That is a problem if Medicare drops a certain drug off its formulary that you are currently taking.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is the difference between a PA and a nurse practicitioner?

In Florida the NP is not allowed to change drugs, only doses. That is a problem if Medicare drops a certain drug off its formulary that you are currently taking.

It does depend on the state.

In about half of states, they can prescribe with full autonomy, in other states, they must get sign off a licensed MD or DO for certain classes of drugs, and in other states, their prescribing power is limited to only certain types of drugs (usually the low level stuff like antibiotics and allergy medications).

That's definitely one of the things that our system has a bit flawed. An NP who has additional training and credit hours in pharmacology actually has better training and knowledge of the drugs than an MD in some cases.

In some cases, the only difference between them is the state accreditation board that's granted them licensing and about 30 credit hours.

In that regard, an NP who has been on the job for 5+ years is probably more knowledgeable than an MD who's fresh out of medical school.

In some cases, you have people who have the title of DNP, which is a nurse practitioner who's taken enough credit hours to be recognized at the Doctoral level, and has a published thesis (much like other Doctoral candidates in other fields).

I have a cousin who's a DNP, and she works for a local family practice, and DNPs are qualified to handle almost all of the things that one typically goes to a family practice for.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The PA and NP are about the same level, both pay about 50 dollars an hour. There is a difference in orientation, the PA is a stand in for a physician, the one I went to was my primary care giver and did the same job as a physician only a little better because she had more time.

The NP is a bit more patient centered and holistic in orientation, but I'm not sure how much difference there is.

sorry, question has already been answered

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My NP wears the letters LPN (licensed practical nurse) on her nametag. She was wrong about the Lamictal XR not being made in 50 mg pills, according to my neurologist. I also had to sit and watch her type notes to the doctor during appointments. But I like knowing I can see the same NP every time my neurologist is unable to make it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If people would just look things up they would make fewer misteaks.

Did you make a mistake on purpose?

It is not just about looking things up. When my neurologist tried to prescribe one 50 instead of two 25s it was subject to health insurance rules. They would not take the bigger pills, so I am stuck with two 25s as long as the for-profit health care system is in use.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you make a mistake on purpose?

yes, I made a deliberate mistake in my spelling of mistake as an egg sample of the need to look things up.

but it was also a pathetic pun using the similar sound of mistake and miss steak, I guess I should really have written miss steak, cheers, Mork

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you can't understand it, I can't either. Mom always tells me health insurance is too hard to understand.

OK, what I am seeing here is the letter writer does not know how to use bullets to make reading different options or exceptions much easier. This is inexcusable because we have our own button for that.

SSA 1902 was written by someone else and is better indexed.
There are a whole bunch of these regulations, SSA 1903 makes clear (!!!!!) how the state is reimbursed by the US government funds, it is really really long.

Here is just the very top bit of SSA 1902 where I found the first piece of the puzzle, as you can see it clearly includes me, but there are other regulations that say other things.

Social Security

Search
Menu Languages
Sign in / up

Compilation of the Social Security Laws

STATE PLANS FOR MEDICAL ASSISTANCE[5]
Sec. 1902. [42 U.S.C. 1396a] (a) A State plan for medical assistance must—

(1) provide that it shall be in effect in all political subdivisions of the State, and, if administered by them, be mandatory upon them;

(2) provide for financial participation by the State equal to not less than 40 per centum of the non-Federal share of the expenditures under the plan with respect to which payments under section 1903 are authorized by this title; and, effective July 1, 1969, provide for financial participation by the State equal to all of such non-Federal share or provide for distribution of funds from Federal or State sources, for carrying out the State plan, on an equalization or other basis which will assure that the lack of adequate funds from local sources will not result in lowering the amount, duration, scope, or quality of care and services available under the plan;

(3) provide for granting an opportunity for a fair hearing before the State agency to any individual whose claim for medical assistance under the plan is denied or is not acted upon with reasonable promptness;

(4) provide (A) such methods of administration (including methods relating to the establishment and maintenance of personnel standards on a merit basis, except that the Secretary shall exercise no authority with respect to the selection, tenure of office, and compensation of any individual employed in accordance with such methods, and including provision for utilization of professional medical personnel in the administration and, where administered locally, supervision of administration of the plan) as are found by the Secretary to be necessary for the proper and efficient operation of the plan,[6] (B) for the training and effective use of paid subprofessional staff, with particular emphasis on the full-time or part-time employment of recipients and other persons of low income, as community service aides, in the administration of the plan and for the use of nonpaid or partially paid volunteers in a social service volunteer program in providing services to applicants and recipients and in assisting any advisory committees established by the State agency, (C) that each State or local officer, employee, or independent contractor who is responsible for the expenditure of substantial amounts of funds under the State plan, each individual who formerly was such an officer, employee, or contractor and each partner of such an officer or employee shall be prohibited from committing any act, in relation to any activity under the plan, the commission of which, in connection with any activity concerning the United States Government, by an officer or employee of the United States Government, an individual who was such an officer, employee, or contractor or a partner of such an officer or employee is prohibited by section 207 or 208 of title 18, United States Code[7], and (D) that each State or local officer, employee, or independent contractor who is responsible for selecting, awarding, or otherwise obtaining items and services under the State plan shall be subject to safeguards against conflicts of interest that are at least as stringent as the safeguards that apply under section 27 of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy Act (41 U.S.C. 423) to persons described in subsection (a)(2) of such section of that Act;

(5) either provide for the establishment or designation of a single State agency to administer or to supervise the administration of the plan; or provide for the establishment or designation of a single State agency to administer or to supervise the administration of the plan, except that the determination of eligibility for medical assistance under the plan shall be made by the State or local agency administering the State plan approved under title I or XVI (insofar as it relates to the aged) if the State is eligible to participate in the State plan program established under title XVI, or by the agency or agencies administering the supplemental security income program established under title XVI or the State plan approved under part A of title IV if the State is not eligible to participate in the State plan program established under title XVI;

(6) provide that the State agency will make such reports, in such form and containing such information, as the Secretary may from time to time require, and comply with such provisions as the Secretary may from time to time find necessary to assure the correctness and verification of such reports;

(7) provide safeguards which restrict the use or disclosure of information concerning applicants and recipients to purposes directly connected with—

(A) the administration of the plan; and

(B) at State option, the exchange of information necessary to verify the certification of eligibility of children for free or reduced price breakfasts under the Child Nutrition Act of 1966[8] and free or reduced price lunches under the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act[9], in accordance with section 9(b) of that Act, using data standards and formats established by the State agency;

(8) provide that all individuals wishing to make application for medical assistance under the plan shall have opportunity to do so, and that such assistance shall be furnished with reasonable promptness to all eligible individuals;

(9) provide—

(A) that the State health agency, or other appropriate State medical agency (whichever is utilized by the Secretary for the purpose specified in the first sentence of section 1864(a)), shall be responsible for establishing and maintaining health standards for private or public institutions in which recipients of medical assistance under the plan may receive care or services,

(B) for the establishment or designation of a State authority or authorities which shall be responsible for establishing and maintaining standards, other than those relating to health, for such institutions,

(C) that any laboratory services paid for under such plan must be provided by a laboratory which meets the applicable requirements of section 1861(e)(9) or paragraphs (16) and (17) of section 1861(s), or, in the case of a laboratory which is in a rural health clinic, of section 1861(aa)(2)(G), and

(D) that the State maintain a consumer-oriented website providing useful information to consumers regarding all skilled nursing facilities and all nursing facilities in the State, including for each facility, Form 2567 State inspection reports (or a successor form), complaint investigation reports, the facility’s plan of correction, and such other information that the State or the Secretary considers useful in assisting the public to assess the quality of long term care options and the quality of care provided by individual facilities.

(10) provide—

(A) for making medical assistance available, including at least the care and services listed in paragraphs (1) through (5), (17), (21) and (28)of section 1905(a), to—

(i) all individuals—

(I) who are receiving aid or assistance under any plan of the State approved under title I, X, XIV, or XVI, or part A or part E of title IV (including individuals eligible under this title by reason of section 402(a)(37), 406(h), or 473(b), or considered by the State to be receiving such aid as authorized under section 482(e)(6)),

(II)(aa) with respect to whom supplemental security income benefits are being paid under title XVI (or were being paid as of the date of the enactment of section 211(a) of the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193[10]) and would continue to be paid but for the enactment of that section), (bb) who are qualified severely impaired individuals (as defined in section 1905(q)), or (cc) who are under 21 years of age and with respect to whom supplemental security income benefits would be paid under title XVI if subparagraphs (A) and (B) of section 1611(c)(7) were applied without regard to the phrase “the first day of the first month of the following”,

(III) who are qualified pregnant women or children as defined in section 1905(n),

(IV) who are described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of subsection (l)(1) and whose family income does not exceed the minimum income level the State is required to establish under subsection (l)(2)(A) for such a family;

(V) who are qualified family members as defined in section 1905(m)(1),

(VI) who are described in subparagraph (C) of subsection (l)(1) and whose family income does not exceed the income level the State is required to establish under subsection (l)(2)(B) for such a family,

(VII) who are described insubparagraph (D) of subsection (l)(1) and whose family income does not exceed the income level the State is required to establish under subsection (l)(2)(C) for such a family; or[11]

(VIII) beginning January 1, 2014, who are under 65 years of age, not pregnant, not entitled to, or enrolled for, benefits under part A of title XVIII, or enrolled for benefits under part B of title XVIII, and are not described in a previous subclause of this clause, and whose income (as determined under subsection (e)(14)) does not exceed 133 percent of the poverty line (as defined in section 2110(c)(5)) applicable to a family of the size involved, subject to subsection (k);[12]

[13] who—

(aa) are under 26 years of age;

(bb) are not described in or enrolled under any of subclauses (I) through (VII) of this clause or are described in any of such subclauses but have income that exceeds the level of income applicable under the State plan for eligibility to enroll for medical assistance under such subclause;

(cc) were in foster care under the responsibility of the State on the date of attaining 18 years of age or such higher age as the State has elected under section 475(8)(B)(iii); and

(dd) were enrolled in the State plan under this title or under a waiver of the plan while in such foster care;

(ii) at the option of the State, to any group or groups of individuals described in section 1905(a) (or, in the case of individuals described in section 1905(a)(i), to any reasonable categories of such individuals) who are not individuals described in clause (i) of this subparagraph but—

(I) who meet the income and resources requirements of the appropriate State plan described in clause (i) or the supplemental security income program (as the case may be),

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think what I found is if you give adequate resources to a government office it will produce an enormous pile of paper and then someone else will write another big document and so on and they'll spend a fortune on administration and not do what they were told to do.

Upvote 0