USA
✟947,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
And you certainly have the right to set up your own boundaries. Just know that isn't backed by Scripture. You certainly don't have to go to a healing meeting (if God doesn't direct you to), but to reject the prayer of another believer is out of fear, not discernment. Again, you can make that choice, but it shouldn't be confused with walking in the Spirit.

I think you are reading more into my remarks than is there. I have never said I would reject prayer from anyone. Nor do I attend a venue where laying of hands occurs.

It is evident this is an important topic for you. But we are each endowed with the Holy Spirit and I have not been instructed to behave differently. And I don't understand your desire to keep impressing this point.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I hate that stuff, too. But they had that in the first century--those of the circumcision were a group Paul derided often in his Epistles. I certainly wish the church had the relative unity it had back then, too. I don't know of any "healing evangelists" in the circles I learned through that act like the healing evangelists you spoke of. Most that I would follow are encouraging others to pray for the sick as well--especially Todd White, as an example. He goes out of his way to tell others that he isn't special and they can be doing what He gets to do as well.

But, it would be completely incorrect to say that the same stuff they saw doesn't happen today. Maybe it doesn't happen as often or it doesn't happen through as many people--because of the reasons you stated--but the Holy Spirit hasn't shriveled up and become inept at doing what He did back then through those who would surrender all.
From what I have read of the testimonies of folk who have been healed here in New Zealand and overseas, it has come more from itinerant ministries who have been invited to different churches around the country, or who have held meetings in public halls. These ministries have had a more interdenominational stance, which I think the Lord is able to work with more effectively, because then when people get healed, then no particular denominational body can "own" the power. Of course, there is the danger of "idol worship" in the form of putting the healing ministry on a pedestal in the mistaken belief that the guy has a special gift that the common "herd" do not possess.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If God's miracles were visible, it would go to your head, and you'd think you had some kind of special power. The people get jealous of you, start to hate you, say yo uare the devil.....al kinds of bad stuff. You get proud, arrogant, start selling your powers.

All kinds of bad things would happen if anyone had power to pray for healing. Amputees in particular get hostile to you. I've seen it. You don't want that power.
In relation to that, I read a good little quote that sums up the attitude of a genuine believer:

I'm just a poor sinner, and nothing at all,
But Jesus, my Saviour is all in all.

It can take even the best of us a very long time to learn that simple principle, and God has to take us through a number of life experiences to get us to that point. It's one thing knowing in our minds, but the Holy Spirit has to write it on our hearts. When He does, there is no danger of being puffed up in pride, because we will know for sure that anything good that happens through us is the work of the Holy Spirit and Jesus gets the glory and not us.

Those who put themselves on a pedestal and think they are someone special because they are able to win souls for Christ and get folk healed, are those who have not learned the lesson yet, and if they don't, they may be standing before God depending on their good works and achievements and may receive a negative response from Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So, when was the last time you went to the cancer ward of your local hospital and healed sick kids there?
If you go back to the story about Jesus healing the guy beside the pool, you can note that there was a crowd of sick folk around that pool, and out of the all of them He healed only one guy.

Although it would be great if we could go to the kids' sick ward and get them all healed, there is no New Testament support for it, and anyone going and trying it might be doing in the flesh rather than the Spirit. It is interesting in the gospels, that Jesus approached sick folk very few times. It seemed that the majority of the time, sick folk came to Him for healing, and all those who came to Him were healed.

It would be more in keeping with the "man beside the pool" story if one went into the sick ward, found one person who had the faith to be healed and saw him or her healed

It is interesting that Smith Wigglesworth, probably the most successful healing evangelist of the 20th Century, who got thousands healed during his ministry, never went into the sick ward of any hospital and tried to heal all those who were there.

So to say that because a person would not go into a sick ward and get everyone healed, is promoting a false gift, is saying something not supported in the New Testament at all.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Huh? I don't understand what you are saying. I have seen people without faith healed. I have seen people without faith see someone they trusted get healed and it messes them up. But, there are those who will find every excuse to not believe. Too bad for them.
I have a good story for those who demand that sick people need faith for healing and criticise them for not having enough faith when they don't get healed:

John Wesley was en route from one preaching venue to another when his horse went lame, and the uneven gait of the horse gave him a headache. After a while Wesley stopped, lifted his eyes to heaven and prayed. Immediately his headache went, and the horse was healed of lameness as well! I tell people, "Thank goodness that horse had faith to be healed!" :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In the main, according to your faith so be it
Jesus celebrated faith when He encountered it, but He never demanded it as a prerequisite for healing. In many cases, the healing came through the sick person's obedience to His command - "Take up your bed and walk", or "Go wash in the pool of Siloam". Naaman got healed when he obeyed Elisha and went and washed himself in the Jordan River.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Without faith it is impossible to please ?
When you read that verse in its proper context in Hebrews 11, you see that it is not directly in connection with healing at all. Healing from sickness is not even mentioned in the passage. It would be a mistake to use that verse to explain why a sick person is not healed after having hands laid on him for healing. In fact, it would be more than just a mistake - it would be very unkind, cruel, and insensitive to tell a sick person that he did not please God enough to get healed because he did not have enough faith.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Kinda' figured this would be the route you'd take in response. Ah, well. You can lead a horse to water...

Anyway, you can "speak for God" all you like, but I'm not the least convinced that you actually do. My last post lays out why.

2 Timothy 4:20
20 ...Trophimus I have left in Miletus sick.
But then Paul wasn't Jesus. He was just an ordinary human being just like the rest of us.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
When you read that verse in its proper context in Hebrews 11, you see that it is not directly in connection with healing at all. Healing from sickness is not even mentioned in the passage. It would be a mistake to use that verse to explain why a sick person is not healed after having hands laid on him for healing. In fact, it would be more than just a mistake - it would be very unkind, cruel, and insensitive to tell a sick person that he did not please God enough to get healed because he did not have enough faith.
According to your faith so be it. When Jesus went around healing ALL who were oppressed of the Devil notice a few times that sick folk used their faith to get healed by the Lord of glory...

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus celebrated faith when He encountered it, but He never demanded it as a prerequisite for healing. In many cases, the healing came through the sick person's obedience to His command - "Take up your bed and walk", or "Go wash in the pool of Siloam". Naaman got healed when he obeyed Elisha and went and washed himself in the Jordan River.
Nor do I when I lay hands on the sick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
According to your faith so be it. When Jesus went around healing ALL who were oppressed of the Devil notice a few times that sick folk used their faith to get healed by the Lord of glory...
Yes. A few folk did use their faith, such as the woman with the issue of blood. It was not the faith of the paralytic who was lowered down through the roof, but the faith of those who lowered him that brought about the healing. Also, it was the man's obedience when Jesus told him to take up his bedroll and walk.

It is interesting to note that many were healed because they obeyed the direct command of Jesus to do something. In those cases they had faith in what Jesus said to them directly. That is interesting, because it is so different to the one who says, "I believe I will be healed" and then wonders why it doesn't happen. Maybe it was more wishful thinking than receiving and obeying a direct word from Jesus.

If you are saying that faith is the essential ingredient for healing, then John Wesley's horse was a remarkable creature to have the kind of faith to get itself healed!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Nor do I when I lay hands on the sick.
I think it has more to do with the faith of the person laying on hands for healing than with the sick person. Many don't get healed because hands are laid on in the flesh, rather than as the result of a direct word from the Holy Spirit. In these cases, it is not faith, but presumption,

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I think it has more to do with the faith of the person laying on hands for healing than with the sick person. Many don't get healed because hands are laid on in the flesh, rather than as the result of a direct word from the Holy Spirit. In these cases, it is not faith, but presumption,
Jesus commanded us to lay hands on the sick.

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Yes. A few folk did use their faith, such as the woman with the issue of blood. It was not the faith of the paralytic who was lowered down through the roof, but the faith of those who lowered him that brought about the healing. Also, it was the man's obedience when Jesus told him to take up his bedroll and walk.

It is interesting to note that many were healed because they obeyed the direct command of Jesus to do something. In those cases they had faith in what Jesus said to them directly. That is interesting, because it is so different to the one who says, "I believe I will be healed" and then wonders why it doesn't happen. Maybe it was more wishful thinking than receiving and obeying a direct word from Jesus.

If you are saying that faith is the essential ingredient for healing, then John Wesley's horse was a remarkable creature to have the kind of faith to get itself healed!
Faith is always now, never ever future tense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus commanded us to lay hands on the sick.
Sure. But we don't force ourselves on sick people without knowing that the Holy Spirit is leading us, and that we have the sick person's permission to have hands laid on him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said that the Church would do greater things than he had done.
Healing and deliverance aren't the greater things because Jesus did all that when He was on earth. The greater things are the formation of the Christian church which did not exist in Jesus' time. The Christianising of the Roman Empire, the baptism with the Spirit and the manifestation of the gifts, and wholesale conversions to Christ. These are the greater works.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Faith is always now, never ever future tense.
Correct. Faith and obedience to God's Word go together. That's what Mary said to the servants at Cana. "Whatever He tells you, do it."

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Johnny go back and read where Peter and John were at the gate beautiful. I am 57 and that verse STILL stick outs pops out shines.. SO strange. Notice they never once prayed asked Jesus God holy Spirit ANYTHING. "what I have give I unto you.in JESUS NAME" what did they have that you don't? We keep reading and find them saying "you look at us as if we did this under our own power..its faith in that name"

For give me you said "I would love to say that God heals everyone I touch. But, truthfully, I don't see that. " We walk by? Faith not sight not how we feel. If they don't say .. I always ask.. "what can you believe". Yet look at the man Peter and John prayed for. They didn't ask him what he could believe. They KNEW he wanted money.. "we don't have any silver or gold".. yet the man was ASKING. God took that..

And how is our walk.. praying in and about ALL things? Are we walking in 1st cor 13? Our mind.. what are we thinking.. like Phil letter said?

Falling.. yeah.. I would be hard pressed to tell who really falls because of God. For me.. when I was young. A preacher came to our Church. See I had hmm just got out of .. was a bad kid..leave it there. Worked at the same place my mom did. I heard her on the phone talk about people falling.. I said.. can I come? So that Friday.. the man said "any one here want to experience the power of God come up. So I did.. I was standing there... no fear no worry.. the mans back was to me.. he turned around put ONE finger on my forehead and... next think I know I open my eyes and I am on the ground.. I go to get up.. the power of God hit my feet shot into my chest.. PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS... WOW it was SO wonderful so awesome..

That HAHA I kept trying to get up to get that to happen again.. NO it NEVER did. I was smoking at the time to.. went up for that. The only other time was with a preacher praying for those called.. I went up.. yet this time he was not asking anything just put hands on and pray. So just before he got to me .. I said FOR THE ANONITING... and had both hands up.. was as if I stuck my are in a huge... it hit my fingers to my hand all the way down my arm... again praise GOD was so wonderful.. I give all praise and glory to God...

You find in OTHER countries this kind of thing happens ALL the time. In the USA its ALLOT harder.. just read in this thread alone.. bless there heart but.. most do not BELIEVE. And the holy Spirit said.. if you doubt let not that man think he will get anything from God. Same thing happen when Jesus went into some town.. all this son of GOD with NO limit to the holy Spirit could do was lay hands on some and teach because of doubt. For me I read in John when they came to get Jesus.. as soon as He said I AM HE they fell back wards to the ground.

I take it as its written. YES I have heard MAN try to say what that REALLY means.. what that REALLY is... pass. What I KNOW that I know that I know is.. when this GOD comes around and His glory and His presence... TRY TO STAND! GO for it! No one can... IF He shows up like that. In a book I read once.. a bunch of young people were all praying.. the leader said.. he opened his eyes and saw one girl just fall.... he goes over ask her if shes ok.. she said. "I open my eyes and saw Jesus over there".. and that was it haha. Did not JESUS say where 2 or there are gathered I AM THERE?

Do you guys go to CHURCH? Do you gather in HIS name? Can He lie.. you cant see Him but HELLO HE IS THERE! Just believe the WORD not man not me.. JUST BELIEVE! HE is the truth.. seek Him you will NEVER get lost.. He His word.. the fruits of the spirit ..walk in 1st Cor 13.. think on HIM all the time.. love forgive show mercy as HE always shows you.. and be like a child.. He IS moving all over this world. doing more GOOD then ALL the bad.. WHAT are you always thinking about.. watching saying? Is it ALL HIM? His eyes STILL go to and fro over the earth.. HE HEARS YOU!

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You are free to perceive as you like. What is the value of bantering with you in the Scriptures? I am sure you have already know all the arguments, yet you choose to disbelieve.

But as I've pointed out, I don't hold the view that God doesn't miraculously heal, only that He doesn't do so at every turn - certainly not to the degree that would warrant calling healing a "mainstay" of Christianity. Scripture clearly bears this out.

So, the Holy Spirit is a Person in the Godhead, correct?

Yup.

The Holy Spirit came here with gifts.

Uh huh.

If the Holy Spirit is still present today, why would He no longer have those gifts?

It isn't that He no longer possesses certain gifts but that the gifts you want to make a "mainstay" of Christian living aren't as important now as they were at the establishing of the Early Church. Certainly, miraculous healing, speaking in tongues, prophecy - these are not essential to Christian living as many modern hyper-Charismatics want everyone to believe.

If they were only for during the Apostles, why were Philip's daughters called prophetesses?

I don't think I've ever claimed that miraculous gifts were only exercised by the apostles.

Why all the discussion in the Scriptures on the gifts?

I think the "why" is explained very clearly in Scripture:

Ephesians 4:11-15
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Did the Holy Spirit who inspired Scripture, not realize that His gifts were going to be null and void by the time the Epistles were published into the Book that some claim is the "perfect thing that is to come."

Who has said anything about spiritual gifts becoming null and void? I didn't.

But, if we expect the gifts are still active today, we study what that means and we realize that not everyone is given the gift of healing.

Exactly. So, how, then, is it a "mainstay" of Christianity?

But, according to James, the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

Yes, and?

He, then, compares us to Elijah and describes how Elijah's prayer stopped the rain and started it back again.

I think this was more an example of the power our prayers have with God when they emanate from a righteous life than of James indicating Christians can control the weather.

And, we are told to "confess our faults one to another, and pray one for another, that you might be healed". It seems like James wouldn't agree with your take on the rarity of healing.

I don't recall James stipulating physical healing. He seems to be thinking of spiritual healing, actually; for he goes on to write:

James 5:19-20
19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back,
20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

It doesn't look to me like James would have any issue at all with my stance on miraculous healing.

Paul certainly wouldn't either since he is instructing people to "covet the best gifts" and "desire spiritual gifts" not to mention the amount of time he spent talking about the gifts and how they should be used.

And what are those "best gifts"? The ones he names first.

1 Corinthians 12:28
28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.

Healing comes in fifth in this list. And tongues dead last. How, then, have they become so prominent in the thinking of so many modern Christians? I suspect because they are at once both sensational and easily faked.

Why would He have His immediate followers do the works? Whatever your reason, why would that be any less important today?

Because they were responsible for establishing the Early Church and serving as the leaders of it. Divine power would be necessary to fulfilling both things. The Church is now well-established as is the canon of Scripture. There is not the same need today for the sorts of miraculous deeds that helped found the Church and certified as Scripture the writing of men like Paul, Peter, James and John.

So, if Jesus says those who believe will do these things, and you don't do these things, then how can you say you believe (by Jesus' definition)?

I both preach and teach - two of the spiritual gifts Paul names. I make disciples and have done for over twenty years. How about you? I recall, too, that Paul says that not all believers will manifest the same gifts which your question seems to ignore.

You claim that I'm making "doctrinal mountains out of molehills"; but the reality is the people claiming the gifts have stopped have built false mountains that prevent ignorant followers from seeing the Truth.

Oh? If they can make their case well from Scripture, I don't see that your accusation here holds water. In any case, I'm not one who says that miraculous healing has ceased, only that it is relatively rare.

Belief that requires little supernatural involvement from God doesn't require much faith and is often very shallow.

Oh, good grief! Brother, it takes far more faith to wait on God to change a life, to bring a person free of the grip of Self and sin, than it does to believe God for healing. God does a far greater miracle transforming a wicked human heart than He ever does restoring someone to physical health.

Since, I was one of those ignorant blind followers, I care for those who are still bound by the lie.

Your unpleasant insinuations in this thread give me cause to doubt you here.

Maybe we would see a lot more healing and deliverance....Maybe the church today would look a lot less impotent,

I don't know what church you attend, but in the church in which I'm a member, I have the privilege of watching God transform lives constantly. I'm watching Him shape former drug addicts, sex addicts, alcoholics, and such like into Christ-like people all the time! Forget the physical stuff. The real potent works of God are in eternal spiritual areas - in a person's character, thinking, and heart.

Maybe the church today would look a lot less impotent, if we didn't allow people to pigeonhole the real Truth as just a little molehill that we shouldn't make a big deal about.

Maybe the Church today wouldn't look so sensual, so juvenile, so carnal if it weren't chasing after sensational, external demonstrations of God's power, encouraged in doing so by carnal believers who have yet to understand that a changed heart is a far greater miracle than any physical healing God might do.

Upvote 0