✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

"The fact that Jesus' first act of healing involved the casting out demons (Luke 4) is an affront to some 20th-century minds, and many dismiss the deliverance aspect of Jesus' ministry as a delusion of the first-century understanding" - Peter Horrobin

In many other countries the spirit realm is so much a part of the culture that any expression of Chrisitian faith that does not have an answer to this vital area of life would not be very credible to much of the local population. -Peter Horrobin

Do you feel Jesus healed the body, soul and spirit of the man?

DO you feel healing ministries, now-a-days, are well balanced between physicial and spiritual healing?

Do you feel it is a delusion?

If you came across someone with demonic infiltration ....Do you feel like you can act on your God-given, Jesus-won authority?

What do you believe must be done to either encourage or discourage healing ministries with a focus in deliverance?

~Natsumi Lam~

Last edited:

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Family,

"The fact that Jesus' first act of healing involved the casting out demons (Luke 4) is an affront to some 20th-century minds, and many dismiss the deliverance aspect of Jesus' ministry as a delusion of the first-century understanding" - Peter Horrobin

In many other countries the spirit realm is so much a part of the culture that any expression of Chrisitian faith that does not have an answer to this vital area of life would not be very credible to much of the local population. -Peter Horrobin

DO you feel healing ministries, now-a-days, are well balanced between physicial and spiritual healing?

If you came across someone with demonic infiltration ....Do you feel like you can act on your God-given, Jesus-won authority?

What do you believe must be done to either encourage or discourage healing ministries with a focus in deliverance?

~Natsumi Lam~
I read Peter Horrobin's book in both volumes and found it very insightful and helpful in my quest to find the truth in divine healing and deliverance.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I do believe that deliverance often accompanies physical healing. I think healing can be through body, mind, and Spirit or any combination thereof.

I have not yet experienced any sort of deliverance/healing firsthand. I've searched through many churches in my city and others nearby and it seems as though deliverance and healing is a rare item unfortunately.

No at all. Unless it's one of the televangelist types.

No. But it wouldn't stop me from attempting.

I think Pastors with a proven track record should travel more and help facilitate healing and deliverance in churches. Kind of like church planting but for the gifts of the Spirit. In my opinion, healing and deliverance should be more common-place in our churches so that we can experience healing and deliverance and become better witnesses and also I think our prayer life would benefit as a result of witnessing our prayers answered.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

~Natsumi Lam~

I've been taught that a layperson should not deal with exorcism and deliverance ministry type of work unless s/he has been trained.

"And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." (Mark 9:29)

While Jesus could easily cast out demons, we are not like him. Sure, he gave authorities to the disciples but they probably fasted and prayed a lot.

What I've been told to do instead, is to pray to God to cast them out in Jesus' name.

"But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” " (Jude 1:9)

I think that there are risks associated with coming near a demon-possessed person. It must be approached with caution.

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Healing and deliverance is a major part of our ministry, and, in my opinion, sorely lacking in the Body of Christ today. That being said:

It is very, very different (and less "scary") than the world - and many Christians - view it... it mostly just involves forgiving.

Training is always good, but believer's all have the same authority in Jesus' name.

I would never do it without clear permission of the recipient.

The deep wounds that people, even Christians, walk around with are no delusion. That doesn't mean that it is all demonic, but the demonic will certainly take advantage of our wounds whenever possible.

The #1 thing needed right now is to de-stigmatize and (for lack of a better term) de-mysticize the practice so people don't feel ashamed of needing it or doing it.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've been taught that a layperson should not deal with exorcism and deliverance ministry type of work unless s/he has been trained.

"And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting." (Mark 9:29)

While Jesus could easily cast out demons, we are not like him. Sure, he gave authorities to the disciples but they probably fasted and prayed a lot.

What I've been told to do instead, is to pray to God to cast them out in Jesus' name.

"But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” " (Jude 1:9)

I think that there are risks associated with coming near a demon-possessed person. It must be approached with caution.
what about those of us who pray and fast regularly?

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The apostles couldn't deliver that one because some are more powerful (or stickier) and so they had to fast and pray ;)

If it were up to us, we could not kick out a demon the size of a flea. Fortunately Jesus does it for us, but we need the faith to call on Him. It's such a shame that so many neglect this area of great need!

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Did He only give authority to the disciples or do we all have authority over the enemy in the name of Jesus?

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did He only give authority to the disciples or do we all have authority over the enemy in the name of Jesus?
Let me answer your question with a question. Do you think the name of Jesus has less authority with some believers than others?

• Useful
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Let me answer your question with a question. Do you think the name of Jesus has less authority with some believers than others?
No the Name of Jesus is constant. But faith, fasting, prayer, a personal relationship and obedience plays a factor. We must take ahold of the faith and claim it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Definitely not. Jesus name is good for all of us, but our faith determines our victory.

Take for instance the following:

Act 19:13 Then some of the itinerant Jewish exorcists undertook to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who had evil spirits, saying, “I adjure you by the Jesus whom Paul proclaims.”
Act 19:14 Seven sons of a Jewish high priest named Sceva were doing this.
Act 19:15 But the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I recognize, but who are you?”

The demons laughed at this man because he did not have the faith of Paul when delivering in the name of Jesus.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No the Name of Jesus is constant. But faith, fasting, prayer, a personal relationship and obedience plays a factor. We must take ahold of the faith and claim it.
Right, that's our part, but God's part is always consistent and sufficient

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, they may be able to cast out demons. Are you interested in going into a deliverance ministry?
Ive studied it and been a part for about 20 years :) i want to become more active though. God is great and i cant wait to lead a ministry at a church. I plan to submit to the head pastor though.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think deliverance is a kind of ministry that some are called to specialize in. That doesn't mean that other Christians have no power to cast our demons.

We could all teach children the Bible as Christians, but some have a calling to specialize in children's ministry.

But when dealing with demons, we need to take extra cautions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think deliverance is a kind of ministry that some are called to specialize in. That doesn't mean that other Christians have no power to cast our demons.

We could all teach children the Bible as Christians, but some have a calling to specialize in children's ministry.

Oh i hope you werent thinking that i said only some have the gifting. I think any Christian should and can take authority in Jesus name and get those roaches out.

I agree it can be a calling :)

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I was just questioning.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He gave the apostles authority. And this was before the church received the Holy Spirit, and while the apostles could fight among themselves about who was the greatest. So, this could be taken to mean that one does to have to be spiritual, in order to cast out a demon. But Jesus did say a certain kind could not be cast out without prayer and fasting.

I would say not to try to figure out how many believers have authority, but simply submit to God and discover what He has you doing >

"Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

And pray for one another to share with God howsoever He pleases, in all matters of concern.

Those disciples might have had power to cast out demons, but were they submissive to God? It seems they could be effected by Satan's evil spirit causing them to in pride compare themselves with one another and compete with each other. So we need, I would say, to first be with God, and seek His personal correction of our own selves > Hebrews 12:4-14 < and may be it is possible to cast out a demon from someone else, but to keep on having a deep spiritual trouble in our own selves.

We need how God is able to cure our character so we are ourselves not available to being effected by Satan's "spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). I think it can help to identify the thinking and emotions and drives and feelings and unforgiveness which are of Satan's spirit, and cast this stuff out of our own selves >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts?
Not sure precisely what you are referring to, but I'll throw a few thoughts out about what has been discuss thus far.

I believe ALL believers have access to the same authority in Jesus name, but many don't know they have it, how to access it, or how to use it.

For example, you can't cast out something you are in agreement with. Meaning, if a unclean spirit is operating unrepentant in your life, why would it listen to you when you tell it to leave someone else's?

The authority we have in Jesus name is different than authority to be somewhere, do something or say something. See how in the book of Acts Paul, went where the Holy Spirit sent him, spoke up when the Spirit urged him and so on. Similar as when Jesus said, (paraphrasing) I only do or say what the Father tells me. Let's call this "working" authority because it is authority given to us to do the work of the ministry. Authority in Jesus name would then be "positional" authority because we have it solely based on our position as sons/daughters of God and co-heirs with Christ.

Sure, there are people that are called to specialize in healing & deliverance and therefore are gifted in it, that is true of any and every Godly calling.

The ones that come out "only with prayer and fasting" I believe is actually referencing something slightly different than demons (or in this case in addition to demons). It is what we call territorial spirits (same as listed in Eph 6). The influence more than just a person, but a region or territory (hence the name) These are the same type that you see Michael fighting with in the OT. Because they effect more than one person/family we shouldn't "take on" these spirits on a whim, rather only after considerable: prayer and fasting and with proper "working" authority. But likewise, we have zero need to fear them. This is the same type that Paul took in in Acts 16. It was far more than 1 little girl, she was just the trigger. I even believe the experience in Acts 16 is what inspired Paul when he wrote his letter to the Ephesians.

Upvote 0