So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 35:15

And Jacob called the name of the place where God spoke with him, Bethel.

a. When Jacob finally arrives at the place God had told him to go, Jacob immediately finds great blessing. God appears to him, God blesses him, and God calls him by his new name (Israel).

i. The reminder of the new name was important, because Jacob had been acting like Jacob instead of Israel. Yet, God wants to set his mind on what God has made of him. God does the same with us, reminding us who we are in Him. D. Guzik note

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 35:20

And Jacob set a pillar on her grave, which is the pillar of Rachel's grave to this day.

D. Guzik has what seems to me "cutting remarks" at times...but the following is interesting to me right now:

a. Rachel's death was in tragic fulfillment of the curse Jacob himself had pronounced on the one who had stolen the idols of Laban (Genesis 31:32).

i. In Genesis 30:1, Rachel pleaded with Jacob, Give me children, or else I die! As it happened, both became true. She had children, and died as a result.

b. It also shows us, even when we get right with God and return to our first love, as Jacob did at Bethel, it doesn't mean life becomes a bed of roses. There are constant challenges for us to trust God.

i. If getting right with God doesn't give us an easier life, what good is it? If that is your attitude, then God is not your god, comfort is. All you want is a comfortable life, not a godly life. The symbol of your life is a Lazy-Boy recliner, not a cross.

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 35.20

Over her tomb Jacob set up a pillar, and to this day that pillar marks Rachel's tomb.

Israel moved on again and pitched his tent beyond Migdal Eder, while Israel was living in the region, Reuben went in a slept with his father's concubine Bilhah, and Israel heard of it.

Jacob had twelve sons:

The sons of Leah:
Reuben the firstborn of Jacob,
Simeon, Levi, Judah, Issachar and
Zebulun.

The sons of Rachel
Joseph and Benjamin.
The sons of Rachel's maidservant
Bilhah:
Dan and Napthali.

The sons of Leah's maidservant Zilpah:

Gad and Asher.

These were the sons of Jacob, who were born to him in Paddam Aram.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 36:6

Then Esau took his wives, his sons, his daughters, and all the persons of his household, his cattle and all his animals, and all his goods which he had gained in the land of Canaan, and went to a country away from the presences of his brother Jacob.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.