HeadLong thur the Old Testament!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 34:25

Three days later, while all of them were still in pain, two of Jacob's sons, Simeon and Levi, Dinah's brothers, took their swords and attacked the unsuspecting city, killing every male.

I never know what to think about this one.

Upvote 0

erin74

Ministry is about people not structures.
Feb 8, 2005
rural australia
✟26,267.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 34:30

Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, "You have brought trouble on me by making me a stench to the Canaanites and Perizzites, the people living in this land. We are few in number, and if they join forces against me and attack me, I and my household will be destroyed."

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 35:2

And Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, "Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves, and change your garments.

The acute distress of Jacob due to his sons' massacre of the Shechemites had probably sent the patriarch to his knees in prayer. God's answer came in the command to "Go up to Bethel," a thing Jacob had long ago promised to do, but which he had neglected, despite the fact of its being only a day's journey from Shechem. He had just been too busy making money. To go "up" to Bethel was true geographically, for the place was a thousand feet above the lowland of Shechem, but the expression "to go up to" was also true in another way. "The verb go up often described a religious pilgrimage."F6 In Jacob's case both meanings are applicable, for it was indeed a renewal of religious faith on the part of Jacob. As a preparation for this journey, Jacob demanded and received obedience from his family that they: (1) put away their idols; (2) purified themselves; and (3) changed their clothes. Francisco suggested that this latter requirement might have been the origin "of our custom of wearing `our Sunday best'."F7 Coffman's Commentaries

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 35:4

So they gave Jacob all the foreign gods which were in their hands, and all their earrings which were in their ears; and Jacob hid them under the terebinth tree which was by Shechem.

a. Jacob's family only got right with God after Jacob himself did. This again shows us the tremendous leadership role men have within the family. A man who is resisting God will see the same effect in his children. A man who gets right with God will see the effect in his family, also.

i. How could Jacob's kids keep foreign gods? Because mom did! Remember, Rachel clung to the household idols of her father (Genesis 31:19). No matter how hard we try to teach our children godly conduct, they will still do what we do! D. Guzik note

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.