So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 39:2

The Lord was with Joseph, and he was a successful man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian.

This is the key to the whole chapter. In Gen. 39:2,3,5,21, and Gen. 39:23, the same fundamental truth is repeated. The reader is expected to see the hand of the Lord in these marvelous events. Coffman Commentaries

Upvote 0

angelwind

Soli Deo Gloria
Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2004
So. California
Visit site
✟97,335.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Widowed
Genesis 39:9

"There is no one greater in this house than I, nor has he kept back anything from me but you, because you are his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?"

b. Satan wants you to think your temptation is terribly unique; that no one you know could understand what you are going through. But there is no temptation that has overtaken us except what is common among men (1 Corinthians 10:13). D. Guzik note

v. Joseph knew how greatly his sin would affect others. Often times we want to deny the harmful effects our sin will have. When we look at a charred mountainside, and all there is left is ashes and ruin, we despise the careless person who started the fire. Sin is no less destructive. Joseph never gave in to the illusion that he could do this and never be discovered, or somehow it wouldn't matter. D. Guzik note

vi. Joseph knew that his sin was a sin against God. One might justify sinning against another person who has done us wrong, but how can we sin against God? David reflects this same heart in his prayer of repentance: Against You and You only have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight (Psalm 51:4). Of course, David had also sinned against Uriah, against Bathsheba, against their child, against his family, and against his people; but those were of far less consequence than his sin against God.

vii. Joseph just said "No!" He refused! Sometimes it just comes down to that. We have to refuse and say "no" to sin, even when we feel like saying "yes." Knowing the fleshly inclination of men - their ability to detach sex from romance and love, and be promiscuous - this is wonderful obedience on the part of Joseph. D. Guzik note

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.